Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) (4134 Views)

Narrate The Most Dangerous Thing You Did In Secondary School / Auchi Polytechnic Student Carves Oba Of Benin's Face On A Tree (pic) / Little Girl Studying Under A Tree In UNIBEN (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by xarm(m): 9:03am On Feb 09, 2017
The Manchineel tree, native to the Western Hemisphere, is known as the most poisonous tree in the world. In places where it grows – Florida, the Caribbean and the Bahamas – the manchineel is often marked with a red band to warn passersby not to get too near it.
The tree is poisonous on so many levels that if you ever spot one, it is better you stay at least a few yards away from it. Its fruit resembles a small apple, but eating one could land you right in the emergency room. It was supposedly named ‘ manzanita de la muerte’ (little apple of death) by Christopher Columbus. But it might just be the least dangerous part of the tree.
The manchineel’s milky white sap is incredibly caustic and poisonous as well – even a drop could cause skin blisters, dermatitis, swelling or burns. This happens a lot with unsuspecting travelers who use the tree for shelter from the rains. The sap is so caustic that even the rain drops coming from the branches can cause burns. The bark is poisonous too – burning it releases a smoke that causes temporary (and in some cases, permanent) blindness. Considering all the ways it can hurt you, it’s no wonder the manchineel currently holds the Guinness record for world’s most dangerous tree.

2 Shares

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by newyorks(m): 9:09am On Feb 09, 2017
incredible
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Erngie(f): 9:10am On Feb 09, 2017
What!! Thank God its not a common tree
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by xarm(m): 9:45am On Feb 09, 2017
if Manchineel tree can blind eyes, who know the one that can open eyes? like the one Adam and eve ate the fruit

2 Likes

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Origin(f): 9:53am On Feb 09, 2017
Nice. Read it up.

Even though humans animals and birds run from this tree, the black spined iguana eats from it. I hail o.

It was used in warfare and the locals know the antidote.

The strangest thing is, though deadly it can be used to cure the same ill effect it causes if properly treated

6 Likes

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Temidayo9(m): 10:02am On Feb 09, 2017
Usage

Despite the inherent dangers associated, the tree has been used as a source of timber by Caribbean carpenters for centuries. It must be cut and left to dry in the sun to remove the sap. A gum can be produced from the bark which reportedly treats edema, while the dried fruits have been used as a diuretic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by austin2all: 10:06am On Feb 09, 2017
Another mistake god made.
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by saaedlee: 12:11pm On Feb 09, 2017
Where can I find it,?
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 09, 2017
austin2all:
undecided; listen to the nonsense you just said.

10 Likes

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by couragekebs(m): 1:44pm On Feb 09, 2017
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by deanoffaculty: 2:17pm On Feb 09, 2017
austin2all:
It's good as you mentioned 'god' and not 'God'.

6 Likes

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Phonefanatic: 3:03pm On Feb 09, 2017
Where can I find the fruit? I want to give some people who are owing me.

2 Likes

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 09, 2017
I suspect the apple Abacha ate is from this tree.
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Yinkey6(m): 3:41pm On Feb 09, 2017
grin
Phonefanatic:
Bros. You wicked ooo.

1 Like

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by amuokuko: 3:47pm On Feb 09, 2017
If this tree dey warri, dem for don discover Ogbono seed inside the fruit..

Politicians go use the tree do wooden gate cous DSS/EFCC no go fit come knock..
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by kaskadjosh: 4:02pm On Feb 09, 2017
i smell ftc mehn
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by leewin(m): 4:19pm On Feb 09, 2017
kaskadjosh:
i smell ftc mehn
I smell it too I wonder if leaves can b grinded and used for a specific purpose
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by niyot124: 5:30pm On Feb 09, 2017
austin2all:

I can't believe you just said "another mistake God made"

You must be the first mistake then...

1 Like

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Nobody: 8:14pm On Feb 09, 2017
See sweet fruits sad
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by xarm(m): 9:13pm On Feb 09, 2017
lalasticala
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by zealblinks(m): 9:21pm On Feb 09, 2017
No going area for me. But how i wish our politicians could eat the fruits so they could just die once and leave the youths to rule... just wish huh
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by liljboy(m): 9:35pm On Feb 09, 2017
austin2all:
ibu ewwwwwuuuuu

1 Like

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by sKeetz(m): 9:36pm On Feb 09, 2017
austin2all:
tongue
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by austin2all: 9:57pm On Feb 09, 2017
liljboy:
ibu ewwwwwuuuuu

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Austin234(m): 10:19pm On Feb 09, 2017
Will u shut up ur trash

austin2all:
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Nobody: 10:34pm On Feb 09, 2017
Florida... the Caribbean... Bahamas... Little apple....manzanita... Got it!

Good post op
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Nobody: 10:38pm On Feb 09, 2017
austin2all:
You must have a reason or reasons for saying that, do enlighten us
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Paulpaulpaul(m): 10:49pm On Feb 09, 2017
Temidayo9:
Usage

Despite the inherent dangers associated, the tree has been used as a source of timber by Caribbean carpenters for centuries. It must be cut and left to dry in the sun to remove the sap. A gum can be produced from the bark which reportedly treats edema, while the dried fruits have been used as a diuretic.

I knew it, nothing created by God is a waste.

1 Like

Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by whizbee(m): 11:00pm On Feb 09, 2017
Origin:
Nice. Read it up.

Even though humans animals and birds run from this tree, the black spined iguana eats from it. I hail o.

It was used in warfare and the locals know the antidote.

The strangest thing is, though deadly it can be used to cure the same ill effect it causes if properly treated

Ori e wambe
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Nobody: 12:43am On Feb 10, 2017
no be this thing we dey chop wen we dey small
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by joowealth(m): 4:46am On Feb 10, 2017
Phonefanatic:
You mean, people like Moku, Mogbe & Modaran?
Re: The Manchineel – World’s Most Dangerous Tree. (pic) by Nobody: 6:47am On Feb 10, 2017
End Time Tree

(1) (Reply)

. / 10 Maths Tricks That Will Blow Your Mind. / University Professor Claims He Discovered Population Of Fairies And Shows His Pr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.