Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,932 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Biblical Proof Of Purgatory - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Biblical Proof Of Purgatory (967 Views)

Biblical Proof That The Earth Is A Woman And Has Got A Womb / Is Jesus The Son Of God And Promised Messiah? Biblical Proof That He Isn't. / There Will Be Sex In Heaven ( Biblical Proof ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by press005: 5:15am On Feb 12, 2017
Though I'm nt a catholic member bt i need d knowledge.

Please a well grounded catholic member should please explain to me what purgatory is all about and why we should believe on it..I wish to understand nt to argue.
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by Soljaboi44(m): 6:42am On Feb 12, 2017
FTC
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by press005: 6:43am On Feb 12, 2017
Soljaboi44:
FTC

Lol...baba i need clarification jare
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by Nutase: 6:48am On Feb 12, 2017
Ask google it knows everything shocked
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by couragekebs(m): 6:49am On Feb 12, 2017
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by press005: 6:52am On Feb 12, 2017
Nutase:
Ask google it knows everything shocked

I need an explanation here..
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by Soljaboi44(m): 7:05am On Feb 12, 2017
press005:

Lol...baba i need clarification jare
i don't think there is anything like purgatory..

Its One Heaven, One Hell

But.. Is hell really endless??cry

God should've made the place as a prison, you'll be jailed according to the sins you've committed i.e. If you steal meat from pot.. grin You'll just spend just 7days or more in hell which you'll be save later and go to heaven..
Or how do u see it?? cool

lalasticlala, seun
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by press005: 7:12am On Feb 12, 2017
Soljaboi44:

i don't think there is anything like purgatory..

Its One Heaven, One Hell

But.. Is hell really endless??cry

God should've made the place as a prison, you'll be jailed according to the sins you've committed i.e. If you steal meat from pot.. grin You'll just spend just 7days or more in hell which you'll be save later and go to heaven..

Or how do u see it?? cool

lalasticlala, seun

Hahahahah, dis guy, i don reason like dat b4 oo bt we can't question God naa...he knoweth d best.

Bt saying der is no purgatory, wats ur proof of saying so
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by menix(m): 7:28am On Feb 12, 2017
If there is anything called purgatory, the Rich man who died nd went to hell won't ve asked Abraham to send Lazarus to dip his fingers into water nd drop same onto his tongue..

Purgatory is antichrist...
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by press005: 8:26am On Feb 12, 2017
menix:
If there is anything called purgatory, the Rich man who died nd went to hell won't ve asked Abraham to send Lazarus to dip his fingers into water nd drop same onto his tongue..

Owk
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by firstking01(m): 10:12am On Feb 12, 2017
Purgatory was never mentioned in the bible.
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 12, 2017
The doctrine of purgatory teaches that only the perfectly holy human can enter heaven upon death. Many die who have lived a good life but have the stain of non-mortal sins on their souls.

They won't go to hell because their sins aren't mortal, that is, death-dealing to their soul, yet they can't enter heaven to behold the face of God because only those without blemish can see him.

So, in this situation, the souls that die without mortal sins, but aren't yet perfect will subsist in a state of existence where they are purged of their remaining sins.

When they are clean and pure, heaven awaits them. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by Nobody: 11:14am On Feb 12, 2017
menix:

Is that so? So where was Abraham when the rich man was asking him for help?

Surely not hell and definitely not heaven...
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by press005: 12:15pm On Feb 12, 2017
Ioannes:

Is that so? So where was Abraham when the rich man was asking him for help?

Surely not hell and definitely not heaven...

So explain bro, wer was he nd hw did u knw wer he was
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 12, 2017
press005:

So explain bro, wer was he nd hw did u knw wer he was

OK.

He wasnt in hell because obviously there was that huge gulf between where he was and where the rich man was.

He wasnt in heaven because the words heaven wasn't used. It said Abraham's bosom. Now, let us ponder on this for a minute.

If at that time Abraham was in Heaven, then that means that those who died before the death of Jesus Christ could be admitted in Heaven. So what was the purpose of Jesus Christ's coming to earth to die for us if it wasn't to open the gates of heaven?

So obviously, Abraham wasn't in hell and he wasn't in heaven. So where was he right?

Well, the Catholic Church says that the souls of all good people who died before the Sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross were in a state of Limbo, waiting the coming of the messiah.

Well, my point is that, if there is another state of existence apart from the 3 we know, this material world of time and space, hell and heaven, then there must be some others that we don't even know about...including purgatory.

1 Like

Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by press005: 12:50pm On Feb 12, 2017
Ioannes:

OK.

He wasnt in hell because obviously there was that huge gulf between where he was and where the rich man was.

He wasnt in heaven because the words heaven wasn't used. It said Abraham's bosom. Now, let us ponder on this for a minute.

If at that time Abraham was in Heaven, then that means that those who died before the death of Jesus Christ could be admitted in Heaven. So what was the purpose of Jesus Christ's coming to earth to die for us if it wasn't to open the gates of heaven?

So obviously, Abraham wasn't in hell and he wasn't in heaven. So where was he right?

Well, the Catholic Church says that the souls of all good people who died before the Sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross were in a state of Limbo, waiting the coming of the messiah.

Well, my point is that, if there is another state of existence apart from the 3 we know, this material world of time and space, hell and heaven, then there must be some others that we don't even know about...including purgatory.

U have spoken well

1 Like

Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by Nobody: 12:52pm On Feb 12, 2017
press005:

U have spoken well

Thank you.
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by press005: 12:52pm On Feb 12, 2017
Ioannes:
The doctrine of purgatory teaches that only the perfectly holy human can enter heaven upon death. Many die who have lived a good life but have the stain of non-mortal sins on their souls.

They won't go to hell because their sins aren't mortal, that is, death-dealing to their soul, yet they can't enter heaven to behold the face of God because only those without blemish can see him.

So, in this situation, the souls that die without mortal sins, but aren't yet perfect will subsist in a state of existence where they are purged of their remaining sins.

When they are clean and pure, heaven awaits them. Simple.

Ur explanation is on point bt i jst need a biblical proof
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by Nobody: 1:20pm On Feb 12, 2017
press005:

Ur explanation is on point bt i jst need a biblical proof

I doubt you'll find the word "purgatory" in the bible. Just like you won't find the words "Trinity", "Rapture" etc in the Bible.

But the basis for the existence of such a state of being like purgatory exists. Like the one I just explained to you about Lazarus and the rich man.

Then check the book of 1 John 5:17

It speaks of sins that are deadly and sins that do not lead to death.

Why categorise sins if they'll all be punished same way?

So obviously deadly sins aka mortal sins lead to hell, while those that are not deadly do not lead to hell. Yet if someone dies with the non deadly sin on his soul, he can't see God because nothing unclean can see God. Yet the sin he died with is not deadly.

In the book of Maccabees, a book removed by Martin Luther from the bible because it didn't support his views on Judgement and eternal life, you find Jews praying for the souls of the dead, which is a common practice then in the Jewish religion. Why pray for the dead if they are in heaven or in hell?

1 Like

Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by press005: 2:10pm On Feb 12, 2017
Ioannes:

I doubt you'll find the word "purgatory" in the bible. Just like you won't find the words "Trinity", "Rapture" etc in the Bible.

But the basis for the existence of such a state of being like purgatory exists. Like the one I just explained to you about Lazarus and the rich man.

Then check the book of 1 John 5:17

It speaks of sins that are deadly and sins that do not lead to death.

Why categorise sins if they'll all be punished same way?

So obviously deadly sins aka mortal sins lead to hell, while those that are not deadly do not lead to hell. Yet if someone dies with the non deadly sin on his soul, he can't see God because nothing unclean can see God. Yet the sin he died with is not deadly.

In the book of Maccabees, a book removed by Martin Luther from the bible because it didn't support his views on Judgement and eternal life, you find Jews praying for the souls of the dead, which is a common practice then in the Jewish religion. Why pray for the dead if they are in heaven or in hell?

I will luv to read those exempted books of d bible someday....u av given some details ..Thanks
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by Nobody: 2:29pm On Feb 12, 2017
press005:

I will luv to read those exempted books of d bible someday....u av given some details ..Thanks

My pleasure. Get the Jerusalem Bible or Douay Rheims Bible. You'll get them in Catholic bookstores.
Re: Biblical Proof Of Purgatory by press005: 4:03pm On Feb 12, 2017
Ioannes:

My pleasure. Get the Jerusalem Bible or Douay Rheims Bible. You'll get them in Catholic bookstores.

Owk.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fellow Christians, Get In! / MFM Under Fire Over Its ‘cure’ For Homosexuality / How a Christian should debate an atheist using science and logic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.