Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,152 members, 7,811,297 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa (26053 Views)

The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi At Gabriel Igbinedion 85th Birthday (Photos) / Kayode Ogundamisi's Tweet About Ooni Of Ife And Oba Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 3:31pm On Feb 12, 2017
In view of the protracted nature of Chief Nosakhare Isekhure’s disagreement with the Benin Traditional Council (BTC), Palace Watch now reports how Chief Gabriel Osawaru Igbinedion, the Esama of Benin, was led to the presence of the late Omo N’Oba Erediauwa in the dead of the night, where he knelt and begged the Oba before his indefinite suspension from the Benin Palace was systematically and traditionally lifted. This incident happened on September 30, 2003.

Oba Rufus Olarewaju Ajayi Ogidi Olu Obagbaja Arolagbade II, Oba of Gbomina Ekiti, who was taking refuge at the Oba’s Palace in Benin, when the incident occurred, narrated to Palace Watch what transpired that very night.

He said: “The first thing most chiefs and commoners must realise is that nobody is bigger than the throne of his people. And this is why a man with such a towering status and credential as Baba Olusegun Obasanjo, prostrated himself, when greeting the current Ooni of Ife, Oba Babatunde Adeyeye Ogunwusi Ojaja II, while on a courtesy visit to the Ooni’s palace. What this action simply means is that no matter how big or great one is, you cannot be bigger than the throne of your ancestors.

“Chief Nosakhare Isekhure has no other option than to respect the Oba. He must henceforth realise he is not serving the current Oba, but the throne of the Benin Kingdom. I understand that in Benin, the title of Isekhure is hereditary from father to son. If I were him, I would contact prominent Obas and traditional rulers in Nigeria, and even the Queen of England to intervene in this matter to help me placate the Oba, so that this matter can be resolved once and for all.

“Igbinedion is a very wise man. If I should tell you the extent to which he went, when he had similar problem, you won’t believe it. Igbinedion went to the Catholic Pope in Rome to help him intervene in the matter. He made this move, when nobody in Nigeria was ready to assist him in resolving the matter. So, the former Catholic Pope called the late Oba Erediauwa on phone and said, “Please, I know that Chief Igbinedion would have wronged you, but no matter what happened, forgive him.” Of course, the Oba would not open his mouth to tell everybody what happened. So, they systematically and traditionally restored Chief Igbinedion to the palace in the dead of the night, when nobody was watching and would know what was happening. And Igbinedion knelt down before Oba Erediauwa and everything was settled. I was a life witness to this incident.

“Now, the incident that drove me to take refuge in the Oba of Benin’s palace as a young prince then, and made me witness such goes thus: I was a lecturer at the Faculty of Law, Delta State University. At that time, there was a very big problem between the then Vice-Chancellor, Professor Ovie Igun and I. He was bent on getting me out of the university system, over allegations that amounted to no criminality under any known law. Of course, what I did was to challenge him, by staging a one-man protest. Not only that, I also dragged him before the then AIG in Zone 5, Benin. I equally petition the House of Assembly as to the reasons he could not take certain actions and why he was pursuing some actions unrelentingly.

Expectedly, the Vice-Chancellor, who was a little bit autocratic, did not take this kindly. At this stage, he felt he could use my being a Yoruba man against me in Delta State, by saying, why should this Yoruba boy come to Delta State to cause some problems? Chase him away. At this stage, I ran to my father as a prince and pleaded with him to meet with the late Oba Erediauwa in his Palace in Benin City. My father then travelled to Benin to meet with our Supreme Oba Ereduawa. That was how the Oba accommodated me in his palace for 13 days. The Oba immediately sent a letter to the V.C. saying, “I have seen so…so person, who is a lecturer in your university. He has told me so…so thing. Please, make sure nothing happens to him. Also, make sure he is not sacked or disgraced. However, if anything would happen to him, refer back to me, since I have intervened in this matter.”

“It was at this period that I was with the Oba in the Benin palace, when the matter was completely resolved. It was during this time that Chief Igbinedion was brought before the late Oba Erediauwa in the dead of the night to apologise, and his disagreement with the Palace was resolved, and that was how he warmed his way back into the Oba’s heart. Did you hear of anybody settling the matter in Nigeria? No.

“As you might be aware, it is a taboo to arrange a meeting between an Oba and his subject or subjects. My advice, therefore, is for Isekhure to do the needful and get this matter behind him.”

http://m.guardian.ng/features/how-pope-resolved-rift-between-igbinedion-and-oba-erediauwa/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 3:32pm On Feb 12, 2017

OBA GHA TO KPEHE ......... ISEE!!

17 Likes

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Kundagarten: 3:35pm On Feb 12, 2017
What were the Igbinedions thinking when they took on the Oba of Benin?

11 Likes

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 3:37pm On Feb 12, 2017
Kundagarten:
What were the Igbinedions thinking when they took on the Oba of Benin?

He was definately high!

8 Likes

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Kundagarten: 3:39pm On Feb 12, 2017
EdoNation:

He was definately high!
The worst thing was that Lucky Igbinedion ended up the worst governor in our history.

11 Likes

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 3:40pm On Feb 12, 2017
Kundagarten:

The worst thing was that Lucky Igbinedion ended up the worst governor in our history.

Lols!!..... But not in Whole of Nigeria tho
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Devices(m): 3:40pm On Feb 12, 2017
Ok
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Kundagarten: 3:42pm On Feb 12, 2017
Anyway the Esama used to be a great man. Starting the okada business no be beans. Okada dry, okada airlines, okada university, ITV Benin etc.
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Kundagarten: 3:44pm On Feb 12, 2017
EdoNation:

Lols!!..... But not in Whole of Nigeria tho

Lol! I can only speak of Edo state. He refused to pay salaries then it became obvious his many properties abroad was bought with state money
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Kundagarten: 3:45pm On Feb 12, 2017
lalasticlala where you dey?
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 3:47pm On Feb 12, 2017
Kundagarten:
lalasticlala where you dey?

I tire oo... La la where at thou !! grin cheesy
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 3:48pm On Feb 12, 2017
Kundagarten:
Anyway the Esama used to be a great man. Starting the okada business no be beans. Okada dry, okada airlines, okada university, ITV Benin etc.

He still is a great man after he has realised his mistake..... He is lucky Oba forgave him on time if not.....................
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Kundagarten: 3:48pm On Feb 12, 2017
EdoNation:

I tire oo... La la where at thou !! grin cheesy

Lalasticlala still dey church, lala na prayer warrior lol!
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 3:49pm On Feb 12, 2017
Kundagarten:

Lalasticlala still dey church, lala na prayer warrior lol!

grin grin grin Na lie he dey cook sunday stew for bae
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Kundagarten: 3:55pm On Feb 12, 2017
EdoNation:

grin grin grin Na lie he dey cook sunday stew for bae

grin grin grin grin

Am sure Lalasticlala would have sided with Oba and not the Igbinedions.
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Nobody: 4:03pm On Feb 12, 2017
Nice write up Edonation

Do you have any clues as to why Oba Ewuare II went to the Government House to see Obaseki??

Was it really to ask for contracts as is being rumoured because Obas rarely leave the palace
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 4:05pm On Feb 12, 2017
NwamaziNwaAro:
Nice write up Edonation

Do you have any clues as to why Oba Ewuare II went to the Government House to see Obaseki??

Was it really to ask for contracts as is being rumoured because Obas rarely leave the palace

He went to the Government House to check up on the progress made on Gelegele seaport which is the Brain Child of Oba Ewaure!!

3 Likes

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 4:07pm On Feb 12, 2017
NwamaziNwaAro:
Nice write up Edonation

YOU CANNOT ASK FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE!!

DO NOT MISTAKE EDOS FOR THAT OTHER ETHNIC GROUP

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by DoyenExchange: 4:10pm On Feb 12, 2017
Good
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 4:16pm On Feb 12, 2017
Kundagarten:

grin grin grin grin

Am sure Lalasticlala would have sided with Oba and not the Igbinedions.

Come and see oo Lalasticlala as finished cooking stew for bae oo.... He has done the needfull.... FP tins grin grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by hucienda: 4:18pm On Feb 12, 2017
His Holiness, St John Paul II

(1978 - 2005)

1 Like

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Nobody: 4:18pm On Feb 12, 2017
EdoNation:

YOU CANNOT ASK FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE!!

DO NOT MISTAKE EDO FOR THOSE PPL

Nice one.
He is really an intelligent oba and I respect him so much..

Less than a year on the throne and he already has endless contracts one of which is the Gelegele seaport according to you.

He is really ambitious!! I'm just scared him chasing too many contracts and other personal aggrandizement might just demystify that reverred throne.
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 4:19pm On Feb 12, 2017
NwamaziNwaAro:

Nice one.
He is really an intelligent oba and I respect him so much..

Less than a year on the throne and he already has endless contracts one of which is the Gelegele seaport according to you.

He is really ambitious!! I'm just scared him chasing too many contracts and other personal aggrandizement might just demystify that reverred throne.

You are really not serious!!

Incase you do not know Monachies have been Existing before Democracy!!

Food for Thought for you ancient brain to ponder on!

2 Likes

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Factfinder1(m): 4:20pm On Feb 12, 2017
grin grin grin
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by akanbiaa(m): 4:21pm On Feb 12, 2017
OK noted. Check my signature
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by MrGreenMavro: 4:22pm On Feb 12, 2017
h
Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by KenModi(m): 4:25pm On Feb 12, 2017
Omo n'Oba n'Edo Uku Akpolokplo, Oba Eware II

Moral lesson: Never challenge the throne of your fore fathers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 12, 2017
Proudly Benin! Bini is one the most respected traditions World Wide!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by EdoNation(f): 4:29pm On Feb 12, 2017
Osahon7:
Proudly Benin! Bini is one the most respected traditions World Wide!!!

THE MOST RESPECTED EMPIRE AND CULTURE IN NIGERIA ALONGSIDE THE SULTANATE IN SOKOTO

2 Likes

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 12, 2017
NwamaziNwaAro:

grin

Edos can never be mistaken...
Never..

They're the ONLY group that have excelled , conquered and lead in the following areas...

Witchcraft,
Prostitution
Fetishism
Armed robbery
Yahoo yahoo
Promiscuity.
Idolatery
i was gona reply you till i saw your moniker! Am not surprised, Ibo ppl that dont even have a ruler!! You see an Igwe doing boy boy for a local govt chairman!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Resolves Rift Between Igbinedion And Oba Erediauwa by martineverest(m): 4:33pm On Feb 12, 2017
EdoNation:

He still is a great man after he has realised his mistake..... He is lucky Oba forgave him on time if not.....................
true...and the former oba was very kind and calm....very slow to anger

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

African Queens / Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council / Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.