Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,352 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? (2377 Views)

Are Best Friends Worth It? Mine Abandoned Me In The Streets Of A Foreign Country / Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? / I Don't Want To Live A Normal Lifestyle: Study, Work, Marry, Have Children..etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by sanchos9607(m): 9:20pm On Feb 12, 2017
Let's face it, there's a biting recession in the country. Perhaps you've lost your job and are considering a career change. Perhaps you're considering setting up a business.

School fees in many parts of Lagos (especially in the island/ Lekki axis) are sky high, cost of living is high, and transportation keeps going up. Don't even mention rents as that is the biggest enabler of poverty in Lagos. Many people dread September / January because of the double whammy of rents and school fees in Lagos.

You may be wondering what you are still doing in Lagos sef! If no promising career is attaching you to the state, it may interest you to discover that other cities outside Lagos may fit the bill as a place to live for your young family.

Quality affordable schools, modern accommodation at a fraction of the Lagos cost, cheap transportation, more affordable cost of living, and more safety and security.

Ibadan is one such place if I may make a suggestion. I moved here 2 years ago and my family has never regretted the decision.

Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by sanchos9607(m): 9:23pm On Feb 12, 2017
Listed below are some areas in Ibadan that I feel people from Lagos may like to move to:

1. Ring road/ Oluyole : this is a nice area close to one of the shoprite malls. It's also close to the toll gate on the way out of Ibadan back to Lagos, so if you work during the week in Lagos, your 3-day weekend can always be complete from Friday evening until Monday morning.

It's got lovely sights and sounds, great shopping locations, great schools, and is close to a number of markets. Security is good, and rental prices are average.

2. Jericho/ Idi ishin : this is one of the high brow areas of Ibadan and the abode of many South West prominent politicians. Accommodation here is among the priciest in Ibadan. It's got great schools and is close to the popular aleshinloye market. It's also close to dugbe with its cinemas, nightclubs, malls and fun spots.

3. Bodija : this is the gravitational Centre of Ibadan. It has the biggest commodity and agricultural produce market in West Africa.

Accommodation is pricey here as well, and the most expensive schools in Ibadan are found here (though they are only a fraction of the cost of Lagos elite schools). It's close to the state secretariat and majority of government offices are located here.

If your aim is merchandise trade, then bodija is your best bet.

4. Akobo : many civil servants and academics built their houses in this area as it is one of the new and relatively undeveloped parts of Ibadan.

This may seem like a disadvantage, but it is also a big advantage as many houses here are less than 15 years old, and electricity here is above average given the presence of army and airforce barracks in the area. Needless to say, security here is first class!

1 Like

Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 12, 2017
sanchos9607:
Let's face it, there's a biting recession in the country. Perhaps you've lost your job and are considering a career change. Perhaps you're considering setting up a business.

School fees in many parts of Lagos (especially in the island/ Lekki axis) are sky high, cost of living is high, and transportation keeps going up. Don't even mention rents as that is the biggest enabler of poverty in Lagos. Many people dread September / January because of the double whammy of rents and school fees in Lagos.

You may be wondering what you are still doing in Lagos sef! If no promising career is attaching you to the state, it may interest you to discover that other cities outside Lagos may fit the bill as a place to live for your young family.

Quality affordable schools, modern accommodation at a fraction of the Lagos cost, cheap transportation, more affordable cost of living, and more safety and security.

Ibadan is one such place if I may make a suggestion. I moved here 2 years ago and my family has never regretted the decision.

oga Ibadan is not better jor! I moved from Lagos to Ibadan too and I can categorically tell you that everything is overpriced in Ibadan.
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by mrjojo: 10:18pm On Feb 12, 2017
coollabman:

oga Ibadan is not better jor! I moved from Lagos to Ibadan too and I can categorically tell you that everything is overpriced in Ibadan.
I can categorically tell you that is false.
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Feb 12, 2017
mrjojo:
I can categorically tell you that is false.

I can categorically state that I am correct with irrefutable facts! Ibadan ain't worth it. the only thing good here is that traffic congestion is minimal, its not as horrible as what you will experience in Lagos. its a local place
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 12, 2017
the people here are not as accommodating as their counterparts in Lagos. they are rude, saucy and don't like foreigners (even if the said foreigner is Yoruba). they are backward in mentality and deliberately refuse to change their ways to accommodate ideas that can liberate them from the shackles of timidity. they are overly tribalistic and strive to maintain homogeneity to their own disadvantage. uuuurrrrgggghhhh!!! Ibadan is not it at all.
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by mrjojo: 10:34pm On Feb 12, 2017
coollabman:

I can categorically state that I am correct with irrefutable facts! Ibadan ain't worth it. the only thing good here is that traffic congestion is minimal, its not as horrible as what you will experience in Lagos. its a local place
shocked shocked well to each his own. I will sure choose ibadan over lagos anytime any day
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Feb 12, 2017
mrjojo:
shocked shocked well to each his own. I will sure choose ibadan over lagos anytime any day

I prefer Lagos anytime any day
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by mrjojo: 10:52pm On Feb 12, 2017
coollabman:

I prefer Lagos anytime any day
we are 2 different people, wouldn't expect us to like same thing. a peaceful and unnecessary stress life is what I like. I can drive from new garage to Akobo within 30mins with little or no traffic whatsoever, I was in Lagos last two Fridays and I spent over 2hours at berger alone. I don't want to spend half of my life in traffic Abeg, and there is nothing I need in Lagos that I can't get in Ibadan, except beaches of course. And PS, you said people here are not acommodating? shocked You need to change your circle bros

3 Likes

Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by dfrost: 5:52am On Feb 13, 2017
OP can you give realistic instances to support your argument?

1. Cost of accommodation for 2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartments.

2. Average cost of feeding per adult

3. Cost of transportation

4. Ranges of school fees
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by sanchos9607(m): 5:52am On Feb 13, 2017
coollabman:

What part of Ibadan do you live? My own experience is totally at odds to your submission sir. Things are cheaper here because the typical Ibadan person will give you base prices instinctively while Lagos people start from way up expecting you to price downwards.

What are the items you find cheaper in Lagos than Ibadan for a start? Maybe we can enlighten you on places to get better bargains.

Also Ibadan people are very respectful and accommodating. The only thing is that discourse is mostly in Yoruba as that is the default language unlike Lagos.
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by sanchos9607(m): 6:11am On Feb 13, 2017
dfrost:
OP can you give realistic instances to support your argument?

1. Cost of accommodation for 2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartments.

2. Average cost of feeding per adult

3. Cost of transportation

4. Ranges of school fees

1. 2 and 3 bedroom flats here cost about the same as the concept of 2 bedroom flats is a very new one here. 250k is the general price, but some estates have flats that go for 300k. 4 bedrooms range from 450k to 650k. Areas such as Jericho and bodija, as well as iyaganku have much pricier accommodation but the tops are not beyond N1m per annum or thereabouts. That is the very highest price you're likely to get. You will pay agency, agreement and also a caution fee here. (10/10/5%) but you can negotiate.

2. If you eat out, cost of feeding depends on your taste. The very popular joints sell goat meat at N200/250. But everything else comes at N50k portions. The classy joints sell per plate and that can go to almost Lagos levels.

If you decide to cook though, you will get far cheaper options as beef here is cheaper at retail. It's more difficult to get orishiri (intestines) though as that is mostly sold only in the abbatoir. Vegetables are cheap, rice is probably slightly more expensive, but ofada rice is widely available and cheaper. Garri is way cheaper but yellow garri is harder to find. Other grains are cheaper too.

3. Transportation in Ibadan is achieved through small micra cabs and cost from as low as N30 to N100 from point A to B. It takes learning the various major stops for getting fastest to your destination. But your longest daily commute shouldn't cost more that N600 to and fro if you know what you are doing. This also includes bikes.

4. School fees here are mostly below 100k per term. Arguably the most expensive school here is lifeforte. It costs just below 200k per term.

4 Likes

Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Bisjosh(f): 6:55am On Feb 13, 2017
sanchos9607:

1. 2 and 3 bedroom flats here cost about the same as the concept of 2 bedroom flats is a very new one here. 250k is the general price, but some estates have flats that go for 300k. 4 bedrooms range from 450k to 650k. Areas such as Jericho and bodija, as well as iyaganku have much pricier accommodation but the tops are not beyond N1m per annum or thereabouts. That is the very highest price you're likely to get. You will pay agency, agreement and also a caution fee here. (10/10/5%) but you can negotiate.

2. If you eat out, cost of feeding depends on your taste. The very popular joints sell goat meat at N200/250. But everything else comes at N50k portions. The classy joints sell per plate and that can go to almost Lagos levels.

If you decide to cook though, you will get far cheaper options as beef here is cheaper at retail. It's more difficult to get orishiri (intestines) though as that is mostly sold only in the abbatoir. Vegetables are cheap, rice is probably slightly more expensive, but ofada rice is widely available and cheaper. Garri is way cheaper but yellow garri is harder to find. Other grains are cheaper too.

3. Transportation in Ibadan is achieved through small micra cabs and ran he's from as low as N30 to N100 from point A to B. It takes learning the various major stops for getting fastest to your destination. But your longest daily commute shouldn't cost more that N600 to and fro if you know what you are doing. This also includes bikes.

4. School fees here are mostly below 100k per term. Arguably the most expensive school here is lifeforte. It costs just below 200k per term.

80% of your write up is correct .

Someone mentioned that they aint accomodating...with the way he typed, he sounds like a rude and entitled person.

Who wanna tolerate that? undecided

I lived in ibadan for a few months and almost everything there is cheaper than lagos

4 Likes

Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Majesticniyi(m): 7:25am On Feb 13, 2017
coollabman:
the people here are not as accommodating as their counterparts in Lagos. they are rude, saucy and don't like foreigners (even if the said foreigner is Yoruba). they are backward in mentality and deliberately refuse to change their ways to accommodate ideas that can liberate them from the shackles of timidity. they are overly tribalistic and strive to maintain homogeneity to their own disadvantage. uuuurrrrgggghhhh!!! Ibadan is not it at all.

From the way you sound, I can clearly see why people react to you with aggression and disrespect. I schooled in UI, finished and was fortunate to get a job in a multinational here in Ibadan also. Your assertions are way wrong. Ibadan is really cool and on-point. To each man his own though...but I think you are only getting back results of the vibes you give off to people.

NB: I'm Lagos born and bred.

1 Like

Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 7:40am On Feb 13, 2017
Overpriced? Do you even know what you are talking about? Cost of living in Ibadan is generally low in comparison to Lagos. However it is understandavle somethings might be costlier not overpriced because they have to be transported all the way from Lagos and other cities to sell in. Ibadan. undecided
coollabman:

Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by sanchos9607(m): 8:19am On Feb 13, 2017
daretodiffer:
Overpriced? Do you even know what you are talking about? Cost of living in Ibadan is generally low in comparison to Lagos. However it is understandavle somethings might be costlier not overpriced because they have to be transported all the way from Lagos and other cities to sell in. Ibadan. undecided

We need to know what part of Lagos he moved from, and what part of Ibadan he moved to. Cost of living in mushin or oshodi is different from ajah or surulere. Also the ambience of an area like soka is different from bodija.

We also need to know precisely what was purchased at an overpriced amount.
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 9:38am On Feb 13, 2017
sanchos9607:

What part of Ibadan do you live? My own experience is totally at odds to your submission sir. Things are cheaper here because the typical Ibadan person will give you base prices instinctively while Lagos people start from way up expecting you to price downwards.

this bold comment is a pure lie. we both know it. the Ibadan person has no squabbles doubling the price of any commodity for quick gain! once they notice that you're foreign, they instinctively want to cheat you!

sanchos9607:

What are the items you find cheaper in Lagos than Ibadan for a start? Maybe we can enlighten you on places to get better bargains.

everything is inordinately expensive here. in comparison, Ibadan is not better than Lagos. it is a false impression that is fast fading away.

sanchos9607:

Also Ibadan people are very respectful and accommodating. The only thing is that discourse is mostly in Yoruba as that is the default language unlike Lagos.

ogbeni! I doubt if you've ever lived in Ibadan! they are generally rude. what makes them exceptional is that they do it to their own Yoruba kin that are not from Ibadan
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 9:41am On Feb 13, 2017
daretodiffer:

aunty it is not true!
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 9:46am On Feb 13, 2017
Majesticniyi:

From the way you sound, I can clearly see why people react to you with aggression and disrespect. I schooled in UI, finished and was fortunate to get a job in a multinational here in Ibadan also. Your assertions are way wrong. Ibadan is really cool and on-point. To each man his own though...but I think you are only getting back results of the vibes you give off to people.

NB: I'm Lagos born and bred.

everything I said in that quote is the pure truth. it has nothing to do with me or my personality. all my colleagues that recently moved to Ibadan have the same experience. I am not the only one complaining. you know what? initially I really thought it was just me, that the interaction with locals was sour because of my charming personality or because I am not Yoruba. not until my Yoruba and non-yoruba friends that moved in from other states started complaining too. you want to defend your people, but tell them to change their ways.

1 Like

Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by sanchos9607(m): 10:09am On Feb 13, 2017
coollabman:

this bold comment is a pure lie. we both know it. the Ibadan person has no squabbles doubling the price of any commodity for quick gain! once they notice that you're foreign, they instinctively want to cheat you!

everything is inordinately expensive here. in comparison, Ibadan is not better than Lagos. it is a false impression that is fast fading away.

ogbeni! I doubt if you've ever lived in Ibadan! they are generally rude. what makes them exceptional is that they do it to their own Yoruba kin that are not from Ibadan

You've not answered a single question I asked. I can see that you're an agent provocateur. You probably don't even know anything about Ibadan.

Goodday sir
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 10:29am On Feb 13, 2017
sanchos9607:

You've not answered a single question I asked. I can see that you're an agent provocateur. You probably don't even know anything about Ibadan.

Goodday sir

what questions did you ask?! maybe I missed it...
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Majesticniyi(m): 10:50am On Feb 13, 2017
coollabman:

everything I said in that quote is the pure truth. it has nothing to do with me or my personality. all my colleagues that recently moved to Ibadan have the same experience. I am not the only one complaining. you know what? initially I really thought it was just me, that the interaction with locals was sour because of my charming personality or because I am not Yoruba. not until my Yoruba and non-yoruba friends that moved in from other states started complaining too. you want to defend your people, but tell them to change their ways.

Lol....OK, maybe you got a place in a really local area of Ibadan. If you'd like to make friends, chat me up. Please quote my ealier comment so i can edit my number out of this thread later.
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by sanchos9607(m): 10:59am On Feb 13, 2017
coollabman:

what questions did you ask?! maybe I missed it...

What part of Ibadan do you reside? Where in Lagos did you move from? What items are overpriced in Ibadan as opposed to Lagos? Name one or two.
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 11:54am On Feb 13, 2017
sanchos9607:

What part of Ibadan do you reside? Where in Lagos did you move from? What items are overpriced in Ibadan as opposed to Lagos? Name one or two.

ok, let me give an example. last November, I was in surulere Lagos. I decided to do some grocery shopping and found out a bottle of palm oil goes for N500. my companion convinced me that I would certainly get it cheaper in Ibadan, I naively agreed. I traveled to Ibadan the next day and decided to branch bodija before entering UI. to my greatest surprise, a bottle of palm oil was being sold for N800. I was shell shocked! not only palm oil, but spaghetti and other packaged food commodities were considerably higher than than the quoted price I got in Lagos as at November 17th 2016. A lady even attempted to sell garri to me at N300 per Kongo, imagine! she said in Yoruba garri ti won!

friend also had an experience at Apete market were he got a tin of Milo at N200 added to the original price of N600. he tried bargaining with the lady but she insisted on the price and claimed no one will sell it to him at the cheap price she was selling. lol!

1 Like

Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 13, 2017
Majesticniyi:

Lol....OK, maybe you got a place in a really local area of Ibadan. If you'd like to make friends, chat me up on 08074. Please quote my ealier comment so i can edit my number out of this thread later.

remove your number!
Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by sanchos9607(m): 12:14pm On Feb 13, 2017
coollabman:

ok, let me give an example. last November, I was in surulere Lagos. I decided to do some grocery shopping and found out a bottle of palm oil goes for N500. my companion convinced me that I would certainly get it cheaper in Ibadan, I naively agreed. I traveled to Ibadan the next day and decided to branch bodija before entering UI. to my greatest surprise, a bottle of palm oil was being sold for N800. I was shell shocked! not only palm oil, but spaghetti and other packaged food commodities were considerably higher than than the quoted price I got in Lagos as at November 17th 2016. A lady even attempted to sell garri to me at N300 per Kongo, imagine! she said in Yoruba garri ti won!

friend also had an experience at Apete market were he got a tin of Milo at N200 added to the original price of N600. he tried bargaining with the lady but she insisted on the price and claimed no one will sell it to him at the cheap price she was selling. lol!

Let me address your 2 examples. Palm oil prices were very fluid last year. So it practically appreciated in price daily. Your example is unfortunate because it's not always the case. Besides palm oil is likely to be cheaper in Lagos because it is probably adulterated.

As to the 2nd example. Milo in apete. You don't buy such goods in the open market as they will always attempt to give a higher price. Why not go to open market to buy milo in Lagos? You would obviously go to a supermarket for that. In a similar fashion your friend should have gone to a supermarket to buy milo. The problem is that there may not be any supermarket in that area of apete. This would not be the case were your friend residing in bodija.

White goods like milo and milk are best purchased in supermarkets while agricultural produce like palm oil are best bought in the open market.

Yoruba garri isn't sold for more than N250 per congo. And if you're aware of general prices of goods it will be very difficult for anyone to swindle you. These are exceptions to the rule I assure you.

1 Like

Re: Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 13, 2017
sanchos9607:

Let me address your 2 examples. Palm oil prices were very fluid last year. So it practically appreciated in price daily. Your example is unfortunate because it's not always the case. Besides palm oil is likely to be cheaper in Lagos because it is probably adulterated.

As to the 2nd example. Milo in apete. You don't buy such goods in the open market as they will always attempt to give a higher price. Why not go to open market to buy milo in Lagos? You would obviously go to a supermarket for that. In a similar fashion your friend should have gone to a supermarket to buy milo. The problem is that there may not be any supermarket in that area of apete. This would not be the case were your friend residing in bodija.

White goods like milo and milk are best purchased in supermarkets while agricultural produce like palm oil are best bought in the open market.

Yoruba garri isn't sold for more than N250 per congo. And if you're aware of general prices of goods it will be very difficult for anyone to swindle you. These are exceptions to the rule I assure you.

indeed...

(1) (Reply)

Funny And Beautiful Pictures From Mothers Day Celebration (pictures) / Can Married Couples Go Without Sex For A Year? / Why Are Babies Passionate About Cartoon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.