Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,586 members, 7,820,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? (5070 Views)

Made In Nigeria, Innoson Saloon Car Seen In Apapa, Lagos (photo) / States In Nigeria And The Predominant Car Brand They Use / Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Cheef: 8:22pm On Dec 06, 2009
Hi!

I am struggling with the choice of which car to buy.

Budget = 3.8m, 

Reality: Bad, bumpy roads, traffic and frequent fuel scarcity

Dilemma: New car or fairly used SUV?

Required: Advice? Please share, I am sure it will help more people than you think <I know pple on this forum know a good deal abt cars?>.

Gracias!
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Arizona1: 6:05am On Dec 07, 2009
Hi Cheef, I have a lot of SUVs for you and all are below your budget, I don't even know where to start but I'll post the pics of some here and you can call me on 08037937403 to get more of others.

I have :
*2006 Toyota Highlander- N3.750m
*2008 Honda CRV-N3.7M
*2003 Grand Cherokee-N1.9m
*2007 Toyota Camry- N3.5m

Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by dapyjay: 6:58am On Dec 07, 2009
The gentleman is seeking genuine advice on which car to buy not advert. many are in this state of dilemma and contributions will be highly appreciated

1 Like

Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by KunleA2(m): 7:21am On Dec 07, 2009
Cheef:

Hi!

I am struggling with the choice of which car to buy.

Budget = 3.8m, 

Reality: Bad, bumpy roads, traffic and frequent fuel scarcity

Dilemma: New car or fairly used SUV?

Required: Advice? Please share, I am sure it will help more people than you think <I know pple on this forum know a good deal abt cars?>.

Gracias!

If i were in your shoe, there will be no tough decision to make. I will go for a super clean and clean titled Toyota 2002 4Runner or a 2003/04 Nissan pathfinder. Either of those cars will not cost you more than 2.5m at most for an exceptionally and discriminately clean one.

That leaves you with 1.3m. I suggest that you fixed it at a bank or get a land somewhere in ikorodu area for not more than 400k/plot. Buy 2 plots. Survey and do all necessary documents. You might still end up with about 100k-200k. Go home and sit on the couch and don't you worry about a thing.Nothing do you.

For the fact that you have 3.8m to spend doesn't mean that you should spend all 3.8m on a car. There are more pressing needs than a car.

Another alternative is to buy either of the Jeeps. With 1.3 left, you can still find a clean 2000/2001 camry. Drive jeep when needed or drive car when needed. No more dilema!. The jeep will go to bad road area and the car will go to other places.

Buena Suerte Amigo ! wink

1 Like

Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Cheef: 10:43am On Dec 07, 2009
Thanks guys for the inputs.

@Arizona1,
I'm still dealing with the decision, once that is clear i'll consider your options. Thanks.

@Kunle-A,

Since its not a first (or only) car, there is some additional satisfation to be derived, beyond cost and functionality. 2002 model of any car is off. If is used my preference would be not older than 2006.

I am thinking Toyota Corolla or Kia Sportage (brand new) versus CRV, Rav4, Exterra or Highlander (2007/08 model - Super clean - Used)?

My desire is for a 5 year stress free vehicle,
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:26pm On Dec 07, 2009
@Cheef,
you don't have to buy a used suv when you have 3.8m to spend. however you look at it, a used car is a used car whether super clean or not. with that amount, you can get a hyundai tucson for 3.2m and still have change in your pocket.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Arizona1: 5:29pm On Dec 07, 2009
George D, I don't think you can compare these cars with that Hyundai Tucson coz everyhing that is cheaper has reason why it's so.
Compare the interio of this 2008 CRV with the Hyundai Tucson let's see the difference.

Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Fhemmmy: 6:00pm On Dec 07, 2009
I will advice you to get an SUV but try to stay with a 6 Cylinder if you are worried about the gas consumption.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by GeorgeD1(m): 6:29pm On Dec 07, 2009
Arizona1,
used is used regardless how recent it is. abi dem take tokunbo do us for naija? are those using these cars abroad and shipping them to us having two heads? why should someone go and spend 3.8m on a car just because they want to buy a name?
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Cheef: 7:26pm On Dec 07, 2009
George D,

I am feeling you. Have used a new honda city for the past 3+ yrs and have no idea whats under the hood, its a good feeling. Its likely that with a used car, I would have had some mechanic touch something. New is always better but we all cannot afford what we truly want hence the compromise for these imports.

I guess I am leaning towards the TUCSON now. I just checked out the 2010 model and think it might be worth the few months wait. Check it out,

http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1034591_preview-2010-hyundai-tucson
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:18pm On Dec 07, 2009
Cheef,
go for it. i promise you'll never regret it. several years after those that bought 'super clean' tokunbo cars start reporting at the mechanic workshop every morning, you'll still be driving your tucson like you bought it yesterday. smiley
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Apollonio: 3:05pm On Dec 08, 2009
@ Poster,
My dear you don´t have a budget of 3.8 Million Naira and be seeking advice on whether to buy a brand new car or an SUV or whatever.The choice is obvious.A brand new car.Even a sincere used car dealer that knows the products he/she is selling will advise you to go for a brand new car(No disrespect to genuine auto dealers on this forum).Going by your posts,you should even know better than most of us you are soliciting advice from, having owned and driven a brand new car yourself.
¨Convenience to the end user¨ is one of the most important characteristics of a good product,and I guarantee you that 3.8 Million Naira will buy you just that.
The 2010 TUCSON that George_D referred to,which am glad to hear that you are leaning towards,is coming with 3-5 years warranty(not too sure with Nija dealers,but you need to confirm with them before you sign your cheque and pen the sale agreement),with option of extended warranty.
That will cover your time frame of stress-free motoring you stated in your post.
Good luck brother.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by fuke(m): 4:14pm On Dec 08, 2009
 Used is not used. A one or two years old car  in Europe is like new and since you will register it here the newness psychology is there.

Now having  used a car for 2 years will bring the value down drastically and it will still be problem free. Those who know the secret of making and   
     saving money use the trick in Europe. Like a poster said, the guy does not have to spend all 3.8 on the car. Create jobs.

The nature of the road compells an SUV

Good luck
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Arizona1: 5:53pm On Dec 08, 2009
Whether the car is brand new or used, it's life span depends on the maintanance culture born in you, the user.
Moreover considering the kind of dilapidated roads we have here in Nigeria, any vehicle that does not have strong shocks and suspension system will definitely find it hard to survive here,It doesn't matter whether it comes brand new or used. Like I said ealier, anything that is cheaper has reasons for being so. You can ask yourself wat's the difference btw a brand new car and used one of diff. makes that are of the same price?
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by dani1luv: 5:54pm On Dec 08, 2009
Good luck grin
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:35pm On Dec 08, 2009
after all said, 'cheap' doesn't always mean lower quality. let's get that mentality out of our heads for good.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by sultaan(m): 12:51am On Dec 09, 2009
Whatever you buy should be something you are comfortable driving around town without fear of armed robbers.
If you get a truck everyone likes, you may attract the wrong attention, so I'll say get a 2005+ Grand Cherokee grin,
2005+Ford Explorer worst case SantaFe
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Fhemmmy: 1:11am On Dec 09, 2009
I was trying to stay away from this thread, but i just cant seems to get away from it.
I do admit that there is nothing like brand new, especially now that most of the car manufacturers have stepped up in terms of
1. Safety
2. Efficiency.
3. Handling
4. Affordability.
So i will agree that brand new is a great thing, but here is my take again for someone that knows how to use a vehicle and knows how to maintain the ride and not just one of those that uses vehicles like it is just a machine.
If you know how to use a vehicle right and maintain it well, i will advice a fairly used, and if you are someone like me, that by the time you know where all the toys in the rides are and can close your eyes and operate all the buttons, it is time for a change, cos a brand ride loses value easily and fast too, as soon as a ride is taken away from the Lot of a brand new dealer, it loses the value right there.
Take a case of a 2010 Toyota Camry, compare a 0 mile to a 2000 miles, the difference in price is enough for someone to even buy another another winter bitter car.
I can get a 2010 Corolla that is just some monthly used with very low mileage or even a floor model that people test drives and i will be saving a lot of money and still be driving a 2010 ride in 2009 and the only difference, i never took out the plastic bags, which i am warned against anyways.
But like my woman always say, nothing beats the smell of a brand new car.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Cheef: 4:10pm On Dec 09, 2009
@Fhemmy,

Your mouth sweet sha! My mind is made up for CHASSIS anyways,

In other words, if money wasn't an issue, we'd all buy brand new cars and perhaps this forum would not even exist! And you are right about the woman thing, if the choice was up to them only (even though they know less about cars than the average guy), anyone with 1m naira and above should just go for a new ride, even if its a picanto. sad

@sultaan,

Fear of armed robbers? God forbid that they would prevent us from LIVING! Anyway, its been God all along and ofcourse, wisdom to know how to keep it simple yet maintaining the quality we desire.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Fhemmmy: 4:16pm On Dec 09, 2009
Cheef:

@Fhemmy,

Your mouth sweet sha! My mind is made up for CHASSIS anyways,

In other words, if money wasn't an issue, we'd all buy brand new cars and perhaps this forum would not even exist! And you are right about the woman thing, if the choice was up to them only (even though they know less about cars than the average guy), anyone with 1m naira and above should just go for a new ride, even if its a picanto. sad

@sultaan,

Fear of armed robbers? God forbid that they would prevent us from LIVING! Anyway, its been God all along and ofcourse, wisdom to know how to keep it simple yet maintaining the quality we desire.

I make sure i eat sugar every morning ni jare.
I am glad you have made up your mind, and wish you the best with your buy.
Good luck
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by GeorgeD1(m): 4:23pm On Dec 09, 2009
@Cheef,
you appear to me like a guy who is very focused. just keep it that way and go for yur 'chassis'

@Fhemmmy,
good words there. you can't beat new.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Fhemmmy: 4:28pm On Dec 09, 2009
George_D:

@Cheef,
you appear to me like a guy who is very focused. just keep it that way and go for yur 'chassis'

@Fhemmmy,
good words there. you can't beat new.

Yes oh.
How is your new ride now
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Cheef: 4:40pm On Dec 09, 2009
By the way,

Does anyone have experience with importation of new cars from the states? Given that US specs are way better than what we are offered here in 9ja, I wonder if the import duties, etc still make it worthwhile.

I guess that influenced my initial considerations for a used SUV (american spec),

Can anyone advice?
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Fhemmmy: 4:48pm On Dec 09, 2009
Yes you can import the new car from the USA and you can treat it like you are importing the fairly used.
You pay the duty by the year of the ride and you could talk to adexfem about that.
Lemme know what kinda ride you leaning towards and we can give u idea of the price.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by GeorgeD1(m): 6:35pm On Dec 09, 2009
@fhemmmy, thanks for asking. no lele

@cheef, i doubt if the import duty on new cars will make it worthwhile
except you're a dealer doing volume imports like, dana motors, etc.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Fhemmmy: 6:55pm On Dec 09, 2009
George_D:

@fhemmmy, thanks for asking. no lele

Interprete pls.

She could buy the floor model that is brand new with some little mileage on it.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:12pm On Dec 09, 2009
fhemmmy you know as well as i do that the newer the car, the higher the import duty paid. buying a particular model of a car new from abroad may be several times more expensive than buying locally.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Fhemmmy: 8:23pm On Dec 09, 2009
George_D:

fhemmmy you know as well as i do that the newer the car, the higher the import duty paid. buying a particular model of a car new from abroad may be several times more expensive than buying locally.

That is true, but it worth talking to a clearing agent about and make up her mind.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by GeorgeD1(m): 9:28pm On Dec 10, 2009
i quite agree. it's really up to cheef to decide at the end.
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Cheef: 12:52am On Dec 11, 2009
George_D:

ok. sounds complicated. Are there dealers that import 'new' direct from the states and how do their prices compare with the brands in 9ja that are mostly made in/for the Asian or Indian markets?

Fhemmmy:

Yes you can import the new car from the USA and you can treat it like you are importing the fairly used.
You pay the duty by the year of the ride and you could talk to adexfem about that.
Lemme know what kinda ride you leaning towards and we can give u idea of the price.

For analyses, say I want a 2009 RaV4, acquire some mileage (below 1000miles) and ship it in as used. What would be the duty payable/cost to land?
Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Fhemmmy: 1:49am On Dec 11, 2009
Cheef:

For analyses, say I want a 2009 RaV4, acquire some mileage (below 1000miles) and ship it in as used. What would be the duty payable/cost to land?

With somethng of that low mileage, you might be looking at $30,000 landing cost at your door step.
If you willing to settle for something under 10,000 Miles, like 5000 Miles, you might be able to get something as low as $25,000
That will include buying, shipping and clearing and delivered at your house.
See the attached pix for a sample

Food your eyes.

Re: Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? by Fhemmmy: 1:50am On Dec 11, 2009
BTW That is a real ride for sale and not just some model pix oh.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Safety Tips On Comfortable Driving Position / Please! Is My Car Repairable??? (photos) / Can I Ring Or Replace The Engine Of Toyota Corolla 2005

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.