Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,454 members, 7,954,786 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:17 AM

Racist Doll - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Racist Doll (2285 Views)

Nigerian Doll Created By Taofik Okoya Now Outselling White Dolls Barbie / Can Minorities Be Racist? / Racist Habits Die HARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Racist Doll by whiteroses(f): 9:13pm On Dec 06, 2009
I was doing christmas shopping for the little fam online and wanted a doll and other stuff, i wanted one black doll, and bam this is what i found,  the dull has little monkey holding a banana isnt that a little racist. i think the company should be ashamed angry angry

Re: Racist Doll by agabaI23(m): 9:36pm On Dec 06, 2009
shame on the company. That is meant for BNP and their secret parties where they burn black dolls
Re: Racist Doll by posakosa(m): 10:19pm On Dec 06, 2009
where the Bleep is this doll sold ? I bet some STUPID BLACK PARENTS will purchase it. If no one buys it, then they wouldn't make it or at least, continue to make it.
Re: Racist Doll by THEAMAKA3(f): 11:41pm On Dec 06, 2009
stu.pid doll!!!! why couldnt she be holding a bear or a puppy or a kitten? why a MONKEY?!!!
i wouldnt buy that sh.it!
the hat says "lil' monkey" ?!?!?!?! why are they calling the baby a monkey?
some companies are secret, undercover racists!!
i bet they would laugh at all the black people that purchase that stup.id doll and keep it in business.
shior!!
angry angry angry
Re: Racist Doll by Tudor6(f): 12:25am On Dec 07, 2009
Black people and their oversensitivity sef. Racial undertone must be found in EVERYTHING.
Re: Racist Doll by THEAMAKA3(f): 12:27am On Dec 07, 2009
Tudór:

Black people and their oversensitivity sef. Racial undertone must be found in EVERYTHING.
after all the insults on the black race, why wouldnt anyone find this racist?
eh?? and i bet people like you would still be in support and buy a doll called "lil' monkey"
yes there is a racist undertone to this.
when going over the product (speaking business) didnt this ever once cross their mind before putting it on the market?
dont they know some people might have a negative reaction to this?
Re: Racist Doll by agabaI23(m): 12:27am On Dec 07, 2009
Tudor,

What do u call oversensitivity with monkey written on the doll's cap. I guess u did not see that.
Re: Racist Doll by mamagee3(f): 12:29am On Dec 07, 2009
That's an Old news. tongue
Re: Racist Doll by agabaI23(m): 12:36am On Dec 07, 2009
Do you mean stale news? undecided
Re: Racist Doll by Tudor6(f): 12:37am On Dec 07, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

after all the insults on the black race, why wouldnt anyone find this racist?
eh?? and i bet people like you would still be in support and buy a doll called "lil' monkey"
yes there is a racist undertone to this.
when going over the product (speaking business) didnt this ever once cross their mind before putting it on the market?
dont they know some people might have a negative reaction to this?
Why does it bother you so much, are you people this low on self-esteem?

You think this was a deliberate attempt at racism but it might just be honest oversight. The nigerian govt formed a gas corporation with russia named NIGAZ. This just shows mistakes can be made.
Re: Racist Doll by Nobody: 12:40am On Dec 07, 2009
If that disturbs you, buy both and exchange their animals.
Re: Racist Doll by agabaI23(m): 12:40am On Dec 07, 2009
Tudour

You cannot put a reasonable argument together my dear, quit trying to argue.

You cannot even analyse an image even if your life depends on it.
Re: Racist Doll by Tudor6(f): 12:43am On Dec 07, 2009
agabaI23:

Tudor,

What do u call oversensitivity with monkey written on the doll's cap. I guess u did not see that.
lil monkey was written because it came with a monkey just the same way pretty panda was written in the second picture because it came with a panda.
What exactly is wrong with that?
Re: Racist Doll by Nobody: 12:45am On Dec 07, 2009
The white baby has a hat with pretty panda. Does that mean the white baby is a panda?
Re: Racist Doll by Tudor6(f): 12:47am On Dec 07, 2009
agabaI23:

Tudour

You cannot put a reasonable argument together my dear, quit trying to argue.

You cannot even analyse an image even if your life depends on it.

Can you PROVE this doll has a racist undertone? Unless you can do that everything else is just meaningless rants.
Re: Racist Doll by whiteroses(f): 1:47am On Dec 07, 2009
posakosa:

where the Bleep is this doll sold ? I bet some silly BLACK PARENTS will purchase it. If no one buys it, then they wouldn't make it or at least, continue to make it. 
i had a christmas catalogue through the post i think the company is smalll but collects products to sell and they said to shop online or fill catalogue but i decided to shop online, and what did i see a little black monkey doll. they send me christmas catalogue yearly aint gonna shop there anymore lol. the doll looks small on the catalogue and i had to research to get this picture and i couldnt look away lol
Re: Racist Doll by TheSly: 1:49am On Dec 07, 2009
It means nothing. . . . .A doll holding banana and so f*uckin what?
You blacks are so oversensitive. . . .Loosen up!
Re: Racist Doll by whiteroses(f): 1:58am On Dec 07, 2009
The Sly:

It means nothing. . . . .A doll holding banana and so f*uckin what?
You blacks are so oversensitive. . . .Loosen up!
Tudór:

Can you PROVE this doll has a racist undertone? Unless you can do that everything else is just meaningless rants.
so there are black people that think this is not dodgy in a racist means? we all know they stereotype blacks as monkies in their little minds and then monkey is written boldly on a supposed black doll,  how obvious can racism be. wake up and smell the coffee man
, and that banana is ridiculous lol
Re: Racist Doll by TheSly: 2:07am On Dec 07, 2009
whiteroses:

so there are black people that think this is not dodgy in a racist means? wow how obvious can racism be. we all know they stereotype us as monkies in their little minds and then monkey is written boldly on a doll, wake up and smell the coffee man
So anything that has Monkey written on it is racist?
Endeavor to always think outside the box. . . .It helps.
Re: Racist Doll by Nobody: 2:18am On Dec 07, 2009
- Black doll tag teams with a monkey (possible source of the HIV-2 type virus)
- White doll tag teams with a panda (an endangered specie)
- Skull cap of black doll reads "Lil'Monkey"
- Skull cap of white doll reads pretty (not lil') panda
Re: Racist Doll by Nobody: 5:21am On Dec 07, 2009
its a throwback from when our ancestors heard "Apes obey!" grin

thats why we're so sensitive.

who wouldnt be.

painful memories like the time some non-black fellow called me a monkey and I wept buckets.

nah, j/k- that didnt happen meaning i didnt weep buckets but there actually was some monkey analogy.

stuff happens but e no good nah!
Re: Racist Doll by chiogo(f): 5:32am On Dec 07, 2009
People who dunno the history of this whole thing will be claiming that blacks are over sensitive. Can't believe s&% like this is still happening.

There's actually an old video back in the day when slavery just got abolished and segregation in schools was in full force where kids would be shown a black and white doll and asked to pick which one is cute and ugly. Even the black kids picked the white doll as the cute one while the black doll is the ugly one. Internalized oppression.

This is just another way for racists to continue to propagate their racist beliefs in a different form. It's still racism however you wanna see it.

In the Afro. Am class I took/still taking, Abercrombie and Fitch(the popular clothing company) is said to pull racist stuff too by making subtle Asian jokes on their T-shirts, a law suit was filed against them not long ago and they paid big time.
Re: Racist Doll by THEAMAKA3(f): 5:35am On Dec 07, 2009
chiogo:

People who dunno the history of this whole thing will be claiming that blacks are over sensitive. Can't believe s&% like this is still happening.

There's actually an old video back in the day when slavery just got abolished and segregation in schools was in full force where kids would be shown a black and white doll and asked to pick which one is cute and ugly. Even the black kids picked the white doll as the cute one while the black doll is the ugly one. Internalized oppression.

This is just another way for racists to continue to propagate their racist beliefs in a different form. It's still racism however you wanna see it.

In the Afro. Am class I took/still taking, Abercrombie and Fitch(the popular clothing company) is said to pull racist stuff too by making subtle Asian jokes on their T-shirts, a law suit was filed against them not long ago and they paid big time.
yeah, i heard about that AF crap. theyre so stu.pid!!
really. why is that girl being called "pretty panda" and the other girl "lil' monkey" soundin all ghetto and stuff.
COME ON!! we al know that before they put this product on the market OF COURSE they thought about the monkey concept. how does that not cross a person's mind. "Lil' Monkey"
and wouldnt they think this would offend some people? AND ITS STILL ON THE MARKET?!?!?!
its obvious dumb black people are buying it.
what sort of rubbish is this?
Re: Racist Doll by C2H5OH(f): 5:35am On Dec 07, 2009
undecided
Re: Racist Doll by chiogo(f): 5:41am On Dec 07, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

yeah, i heard about that AF crap. theyre so stu.pid!!
really. why is that girl being called "pretty panda" and the other girl "lil' monkey" soundin all ghetto and stuff.
COME ON!! we al know that before they put this product on the market OF COURSE they thought about the monkey concept. how does that not cross a person's mind. "Lil' Monkey"
and wouldnt they think this would offend some people? AND ITS STILL ON THE MARKET?!?!?!
its obvious dumb black people are buying it.
what sort of rubbish is this?
I dunno if any Blacks of this modern age still feel that inferior to buy a thing attached to such blatant racism.
But it'd suck if some people are still "internally oppressed", it's the worst form. Nothing worse than low self-esteem.

But these racist companies have some nerves though! It's sad because nothing much can be done anyway.
Re: Racist Doll by Tudor6(f): 7:18am On Dec 07, 2009
Are monkeys not animals as much as the panda?

I'll have you know some people actually do like monkeys, so what stops them from purchasing?

Typical african mentality, ranting about racism in foreign climes when right there at home in africa different tribes of the SAME black race discriminate against one another.
Re: Racist Doll by posakosa(m): 11:09am On Dec 07, 2009
As rightly described in the Religion section---- Tudor argues against everything and stands for NOTHING.
Re: Racist Doll by Tudor6(f): 12:15pm On Dec 07, 2009
^^
Suit yourself.

If you wanna know one of things I stand for, check my signature.
Re: Racist Doll by whiteroses(f): 2:08pm On Dec 07, 2009
arkinses:

- Black doll tag teams with a monkey (possible source of the HIV-2 type virus)
- White doll tag teams with a panda (an endangered specie)
- Skull cap of black doll reads "Lil'Monkey"
- Skull cap of white doll reads pretty (not lil') panda
oh yeah thats true, it could at least be pretty monkey as with the white pretty panda, are they saying blacks aren't pretty? and 'lil' is another stereotype on its own lol, racism on too many levels man

posakosa:

As rightly described in the Religion section---- Tudor argues against everything and stands for NOTHING.
lol
Re: Racist Doll by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 07, 2009
abi oh.

Them no fit say pretty zebra or lil zebra, na monkey analogy them like cheesy

na only monkey dey Africa?

even giraffe sef- why cant they use those when referring to Africans.

shior.
Re: Racist Doll by spikedcylinder: 3:53pm On Dec 07, 2009
Everyone with a head on their neck knows that calling a black person a monkey has had  racial undertones for ages!
With the dolls, notice how they placed a feeding bottle in the white doll's hand while they placed a banana in the black doll's hand?
They might as well create an Indian doll and call it dirty dog. undecided
Re: Racist Doll by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 07, 2009
This is actually old news and the merchandise had been pulled off the market sometime in August as a result of protests that it was racist. So our poster here was "reeeealy" online shopping; and by "on-line" shopping she got a gig in the circus as a tightrope walker.

http://contexts.org/socimages/2009/08/16/black-lil-monkey-baby-doll/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do We Have Nigerian Constitution In Igbo, Hausa Or Yoruba Translations? / Fish With Human Body Found In Ibadan / X

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.