Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,160 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L (1613 Views)

Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) / Highlander For Volvo XC 90 / Thread For Volvo Car Owners/lovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L by chnovpaul(m): 11:02pm On Feb 17, 2017
Good evening experienced Nairalanders,

I have this issue that has been bothering me and which I need help with.

I have this 2000 Volvo S80 that has been doing well for years till recently. The issue is with the transmission. It starts normally, engages drive normally, and shifts to Gear 1, 2, 3 and 4 without any hitch.

However, the problem is when I have to stop or slow down after reaching Gear 4, it won't shift back to Gear 1 automatically. At that point, moving the car becomes a drag as it has to force itself to move (I guess from Gear 2 or 3) before it starts moving well again.

I have scanned it, and the only codes I get are P0751 and a P1618. The P0751 points at a stuck shift solenoid. I wonder if it is possible to change the solenoid or something. I just need some counsel on what to do.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Re: Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L by sultaan(m): 4:14am On Feb 18, 2017
Yes you can change it but it might be stuck because there is dirt clogged in it. Your transmission fluid should be dirty. The person changing it might have to drop the pan unless it is one of the external solenoid
Re: Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L by chnovpaul(m): 8:31am On Feb 18, 2017
sultaan:
Yes you can change it but it might be stuck because there is dirt clogged in it. Your transmission fluid should be dirty. The person changing it might have to drop the pan unless it is one of the external solenoid

Thanks for the response.

Do you have any idea of who is competent enough to handle such delicate fix?
Re: Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 18, 2017
Manually shifting the lever to the lower drive positions when such occurs to help you accelerate & avoid lugging the engine might help until you service your gearbox ASAP.
Re: Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L by mecheal365: 11:51am On Feb 20, 2017
kindly visit mecheal excels auto care centre, plot 365 agege motor road, opposite vono plc mushin. or call 08026999465 for your services.
Re: Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L by chnovpaul(m): 11:14am On Jun 25, 2020
Just seeing this old thread.

I ended up changing the gearbox entirely back then. This was after I had replaced the solenoids and changed the transmission fluid, and there was no difference.

Thanks to those who responded though.

1 Like

Re: Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L by Socialproject: 4:43pm On Jun 28, 2020
Meecheal Excel... time wasters!!!!!!!
mecheal365:
kindly visit mecheal excels auto care centre, plot 365 agege motor road, opposite vono plc mushin. or call 08026999465 for your services.

Re: Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L by searchng4love: 4:51pm On Jun 28, 2020
chnovpaul:
Just seeing this old thread.

I ended up changing the gearbox entirely back then. This was after I had replaced the solenoids and changed the transmission fluid, and there was no difference.

Thanks to those who responded though.
Thanks for the feedback. How much was the transmission
Re: Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L by NaijadrivaCars: 6:48pm On Jun 28, 2020
chnovpaul:
Good evening experienced Nairalanders,

I have this issue that has been bothering me and which I need help with.

I have this 2000 Volvo S80 that has been doing well for years till recently. The issue is with the transmission. It starts normally, engages drive normally, and shifts to Gear 1, 2, 3 and 4 without any hitch.

However, the problem is when I have to stop or slow down after reaching Gear 4, it won't shift back to Gear 1 automatically. At that point, moving the car becomes a drag as it has to force itself to move (I guess from Gear 2 or 3) before it starts moving well again.

I have scanned it, and the only codes I get are P0751 and a P1618. The P0751 points at a stuck shift solenoid. I wonder if it is possible to change the solenoid or something. I just need some counsel on what to do.

Thanks for your suggestions.

It is a pity that my YouTube page isnt working. Try to prime the gear and tell me the result.

How to prime a gear:

1. Turn off the engine
2. Engage the gear in "P"
3. IN QUICK SUCCESSION (as in fast), engage the gear from "P" to the last gear (that is "1" and back to "P"wink. Do this three times.
4. Start the car and move.

Tell me the result. BTW, this is not to say you wont eventually repair/change the gearbox.
Re: Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L by chnovpaul(m): 11:36am On Jun 29, 2020
searchng4love:

Thanks for the feedback. How much was the transmission

I think it was between 120k and 130k then. This was in 2017.

1 Like

Re: Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L by nonhuman(m): 11:45pm On Jun 30, 2020
Why do I have to really force my gear lever before it could engage the Drive, but the reverse neutral and park are just normal, but when I shift to Drive it will show neutral until I force it, and I che k my flood level it was on hot position what will I do

(1) (Reply)

Massive Winners In This Week Customs Auctions / Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? / 2018 Bentley Bentayga V8 Revealed With 542bhp 4.0-litre Petrol Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.