Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,750 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Water Baptism, A Must? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Water Baptism, A Must? (2158 Views)

How To Receive HOLY GHOST Baptism / Are We Saved By Faith Or By Water Baptism? / Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Water Baptism, A Must? by GeeCee(m): 8:00pm On Jan 17, 2007
Dis is something dat has been bothering me 4 some time now so i want sensible contributions from christians. Is water baptism compulsory 4 a born again christian? Let's start now!
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by donnie(m): 6:59pm On Jan 18, 2007
As long as it is a commandment of Jesus, it is a must.

By baptism you reaffirm your faith before men, angels, satan and his demons.

They know you have not only believed, but that you have identified your self with Jesus, in His death burial and resurrection.

You must be baptised.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by mrpataki(m): 7:27pm On Jan 18, 2007
In my early days of getting to know Christ, I actuallt detested the thought of Water Baptism, but after going through the scriptures to find out whether it is really ideal and right, I got to realise that actually it is needed as a Christian.

It is what a Christian actually has to do.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by GeeCee(m): 7:30pm On Jan 18, 2007
could you pls refer me to the verse of the bible where jesus commanded that it should be done
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by shahan(f): 7:43pm On Jan 18, 2007
Matt. 28:19 - "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Mark 16:16 - "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by GeeCee(m): 8:24pm On Jan 18, 2007
@ Sahan, sorry d 2 verses still did not answer my question. D matt quote said baptizing in d NAME of d , while d mark quote was even silent on d mode of baptism.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by shahan(f): 8:38pm On Jan 18, 2007
Your question at first:

GeeCee:

could you please refer me to the verse of the bible where jesus commanded that it should be done

I thought it was just about the texts where Jesus expressly commanded that it should be done, and not the mode of the baptism.

Matthew 28:19 and Mark 16:16 point to Jesus' commandment on baptism.

For the mode of baptism, see the following:

Matt. 3:16 - "And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him."

Act 8:38-39
"And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing."

Baptism is by immersion.

Cheers.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by donnie(m): 11:45am On Jan 20, 2007
The word baptism came from the greek: 'baptizo' which means to immerse completely. Therefore, water baptism means complete immersion in water and nothing less. Otherwise it aint baptism.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by Bobbyaf(m): 4:27pm On Jan 20, 2007
@ GeeGee

Dis is something that has been bothering me 4 some time now so i want sensible contributions from christians. Is water baptism compulsory 4 a born again christian? Let's start now!

In principle yes, however, there might be times when a person cannot get baptised in that manner. A case in point would be the thief on the cross who accepted Jesus, but died without experiencing that watery baptism.

Another example would be a person that is so old and sick that it would be virtually impractical and foolish to try to prove a point in attempting such a manner of baptism. Such persons can be recieved into the membership upon the profession of their faith.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by shahan(f): 5:17pm On Jan 20, 2007
If water baptism is a must, what then is the significance of believers not being baptized?
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:19pm On Jan 20, 2007
@ Shahan

If water baptism is a must, what then is the significance of believers not being baptized?

Tell that to the repentant thief on the cross who didn't get baptised.  grin
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by shahan(f): 8:05pm On Jan 20, 2007
I hope you're not showing off your R-IQ? The question was simple and straight forward, and if you have no answers, you didn't need to make it obvious.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by Aggressa(m): 11:07pm On Jan 20, 2007
Bobbyaf:

In principle yes, however, there might be times when a person cannot get baptised in that manner. A case in point would be the thief on the cross who accepted Jesus, but died without experiencing that watery baptism.

Bobbyaf:

@ Shahan
Tell that to the repentant thief on the cross who didn't get baptised.  grin

Since you appear to have a fixation on the repentant thief who was not baptised, while I concur totally with Shahan's posts and scripture, I will like to add that: if you know the significance of water baptism, then you will know that the thief did not necessarily need to be baptised.
Baptism signifies total submission of the body and life of a christian to the death, burial and especially the ressurection of Jesus Christ as the Lord. [Key words: signifies; submission; Christian; death/burial/ressurection; Jesus Christ.] On the cross, Jesus had neither been buried nor ressurected when the thief gave his life and then died on the cross. So, the thief does not necessarily had to be baptised on the cross since Christ as not yet ressurected when he (the thief) gave his life and died. Read the book of Acts, Romans and Hebrew in the Bible and you will have a better understanding of the significance of water baptism by immersion to Christians from the resurrection and ascension of Christ till He returns. Peace
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by shahan(f): 11:26pm On Jan 20, 2007
@Havila,

Many thanks. I have just come to the very same thing, but wondered if anyone shared that with me - and that's why I asked the question. Blessings. cheesy
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by Bobbyaf(m): 1:59am On Jan 21, 2007
@ Havila

Since you appear to have a fixation on the repentant thief who was not baptised, while I concur totally with Shahan's posts and scripture, I will like to add that: if you know the significance of water baptism, then you will know that the thief did not necessarily need to be baptised.

Which proves the point I made earlier. Rest assured I know the significance of baptism. grin

Baptism signifies total submission of the body and life of a christian to the death, burial and especially the ressurection of Jesus Christ as the Lord. [Key words: signifies; submission; Christian; death/burial/ressurection; Jesus Christ.] On the cross, Jesus had neither been buried nor ressurected when the thief gave his life and then died on the cross. So, the thief does not necessarily had to be baptised on the cross since Christ as not yet ressurected when he (the thief) gave his life and died.

Christ already knew that purpose before He said it to Nicademus, although He didn't stress the point Paul further developed. The fact is baptism before, or after Christ's death, burial, and resurrection would still have had the same meaning and purpose to everyone taking part in this exercise.

If you notice the thread topic again you'd have seen why I responded the way I did. Anyway thanks for the reminder of what Paul further said about the purpose of baptism.

Read the book of Acts, Romans and Hebrew in the Bible and you will have a better understanding of the significance of water baptism by immersion to Christians from the resurrection and ascension of Christ till He returns. Peace

I am already familiar, but thanks anyway.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by Bobbyaf(m): 2:04am On Jan 21, 2007
@ Shahan

I hope you're not showing off your R-IQ? The question was simple and straight forward, and if you have no answers, you didn't need to make it obvious.

Please go back to my first response blind barthemius.  grin
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by Bobbyaf(m): 2:10am On Jan 21, 2007
@ Shahan

Many thanks. I have just come to the very same thing, but wondered if anyone shared that with me - and that's why I asked the question. Blessings.

Where in any of your response did you indicate that you came to the same thing? grin Besides, your having asked the question had nothing to do with any of my responses. As usual you felt compelled to ask a stupid question that had no relevance to the purpose of my response, in keeping with the thread's topic.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by 4getme1(m): 2:15am On Jan 21, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

I wonder if you have issues with shahan? It's very perculiar that almost all the SDA members I have come across in my travels are very belligerent. Is God working in your life at all??
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by Bobbyaf(m): 2:44am On Jan 21, 2007
@ 4get_me

I wonder if you have issues with shahan?

Keep wondering brother!

It's very perculiar that almost all the SDA members I have come across in my travels are very belligerent.

Far from it. If you see defence of truth as being aggressive then thats too bad. I wonder how you'd see St. Paul in action. At least I prefer being spiritually aggressive than playing the hypocrite.

Is God working in your life at all??

What do you think? Is He working in your life? You make sure of that before posing that question, but I thank you anyway for the concern.

Bless.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by 4getme1(m): 3:03am On Jan 21, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Well, you have proven your point: infact, all SDA people I have met in all my travels are belligerent. And if you're equating your attitude to the apostle Paul's deportment, you probably have another Bible.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by shahan(f): 3:11am On Jan 21, 2007
Hi 4get_me,

I would like to thank you for your concern. However, may I kindly ask that you just leave it off here and let the Lord Jesus take care of the rest? The insults mean nothing actually, and there's nothing I cannot forgive.

Much blessing. wink
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by Bobbyaf(m): 4:12am On Jan 22, 2007
@ 4get_me

@Bobbyaf,

Well, you have proven your point: infact, all SDA people I have met in all my travels are belligerent. And if you're equating your attitude to the apostle Paul's deportment, you probably have another Bible.

Well, I figure those SDAs you have met were prepared to defend truth at the risk of being called belligerent, just like myself. Big deal! Label all you desire, the truth will face you one fine day.

Keep dodging, you're doing a wonderful job of it grin
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by 4getme1(m): 4:44am On Jan 22, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

You're very childish on top of everything. In my travels, I have personally witnessed SDA members who are very belligerent, prejudicial and prejudging people whom they don't even know, use words and statements carelessly without a clue what they mean, and can't endure admonition for correction. If you admit all these describe you, then keep it up and continue proving my point.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by barikade: 4:56am On Jan 22, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

I thought you'd grow up like a man and move on from these petty stuff. Wetin happen?? Can't you let a matter rest and move on gracefully, instead of sweating it out to prove the obvious? I have also met many, many SDA members who are very pugnacious; and your efforts are just confirming that all the more.

Leave all this yanga and be a man and let's get on with more constructive entries on the Forum!

@4get_me,
Point made - leave him to keep up with whatever is his worry. Shahan's advice should just be fitting here; she has gracefully moved on and left the rest to the Lord to deal with. Peace brother, and God bless!
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:53am On Jan 22, 2007
@ 4get_me

@Bobbyaf,

You're very childish on top of everything. In my travels, I have personally witnessed SDA members who are very belligerent, prejudicial and prejudging people whom they don't even know, use words and statements carelessly without a clue what they mean, and can't endure admonition for correction. If you admit all these describe you, then keep it up and continue proving my point.

Not only are you childish, but plain mischievous, and a hypocrite on top of all that! So what if you met SDAs who resisted your attempt to evade the truth! Telling me this doesn't make you truthful, but instead deliberately subjective.

You should have realised by now that your vain attempt to bully me will not work, and I have a funny feeling you will live to realize your endless folly.

Carry on with your mischief!
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by Bobbyaf(m): 8:00am On Jan 22, 2007
@ Bari_kade

@Bobbyaf,

I thought you'd grow up like a man and move on from these petty stuff. Wetin happen?? Can't you let a matter rest and move on gracefully, instead of sweating it out to prove the obvious? I have also met many, many SDA members who are very pugnacious; and your efforts are just confirming that all the more.

Leave all this yanga and be a man and let's get on with more constructive entries on the Forum!

@4get_me,
Point made - leave him to keep up with whatever is his worry. Shahan's advice should just be fitting here; she has gracefully moved on and left the rest to the Lord to deal with. Peace brother, and God bless!

So you are not wishing me peace and God's blessing too? only goes to show how much hatred you have and pretence in what you're not.

Well, allow me to wish you God's blessing despite your impertinence.  grin
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by lafile(m): 8:20am On Jan 22, 2007
Back to the topic please! Thank You.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by barikade: 9:05am On Jan 22, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

I thought we finished nicely and I wished you blessings in another thread, but since you have decided to be the pugnacious SDA cultist on the Forum, bring it on. If a word of wisdom is not enough and you feel it is your forte to be this beggarly, let's see you carry the proof of just how belligerent SDA cultists are.
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by 4getme1(m): 10:35am On Jan 22, 2007
Bobbyaf:

Not only are you childish, but plain mischievous, and a hypocrite on top of all that! So what if you met SDAs who resisted your attempt to evade the truth! Telling me this doesn't make you truthful, but instead deliberately subjective.

You should have realised by now that your vain attempt to bully me will not work, and I have a funny feeling you will live to realize your endless folly.

Carry on with your mischief!

Keep foaming in the mouth and feeling self-bullied as you prove the point of SDA cultism. . . what a laugh! grin
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by chinkolo(f): 12:01am On Jan 23, 2007
Y are u guys hating on the a religious forum even those not on this thread dont hate they always apologise to each other and it is forgiven we all av our various views and opinions and i think as lovers of God we should learn to respect that.look i dont believe in total immesion but as it is done in my church (ie catholic ALTHOUGH WE USE WATER) and i av tried to c it the way people say it checked d bible but i just ralise that water is really ment to act as a symbol and the holyspirit a major participant.In a verse i read recently (sori not good at cramin verses i like readin and deep understanding not nessesarily quotin like its sum txtbook ) Jesus himself said we should try not to waste our tym arguing ova religious issues.And i believe it is not nessesary it is just a way of givin d devil a chance learn to disscus please trust me used to becus of my religion but dont bother again cos God has talked to me.NO HUMAN BEIN IS D SAME PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS AV DIFERENT OPINIONS RESPECT THAT PLS.Always just try 2 do what is right,go 2 church regularly and pray like there is no 2moro.IT IS SUPPOSED TO B EASY BUT PEOPLE ALWAYS MAKE IT SO DIFFICULT NOW ADAYS PLS DONT B A FANATIC just love God with all ur heart and follow him in peace.Love u all wink
Re: Water Baptism, A Must? by kobe(m): 12:35am On Jan 23, 2007
chinkolo I love you lol.
You just echoed my same sentiments.
I often find myself guilty of doing these things -- but I apologize when I realise it.
I approach these topics to engage in dialogue and expand my knowledge, they hurt me when they turn into arguments.

(1) (Reply)

On The Prophesy Of The Virgin Birth Of Jesus: Part 1 / The Significant Of Moses And Elijah In The Transfiguration Of Christ? / Why Is The Genesis Creation Story Right And Other Creation Stories Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.