Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,364 members, 7,812,043 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Are Urhobos And Isoko And Ika Also Edo? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Urhobos And Isoko And Ika Also Edo? (14775 Views)

Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof / The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State / Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Re: Are Urhobos And Isoko And Ika Also Edo? by Nobody: 4:45am On Aug 22, 2017
Cire80:
You know I replied you based on your logic. Are you aware of that?

Ok. This was my response to your other quote but think this response is kinda appropriate for this as well.

've always admitted that Igbo name and Igbo language has been existing in Ika land for a few centuries which suggests there must have been some unrecorded Igbo migration into Ika land. My problem with you guys is making bogus speculations and going to the extent of fabricating and concocting non existing history. We Ika people know our history. You don't come to our land and tell us we're settlers and should vacate our ancestral land. This is the height of insolence. This attitude is the reason Igbo is hated today by every other groups

Back to your question. The percentage of Igbo names and words in Ika is very minimal. It not up to 20% about 3 centuries ago. There are many factors responsible for the encroachment of Igbo language into Ika and one of them is the Colonial masters and Christianity. The Colonial masters imposed Igbo on us - Even the Edos said Igbo and Yoruba was imposed on them though I don't know how it happened. Our ancestors were thought Igbo and Igbo language was used in churches and courts and many other places. Many people today can't pray in Ika language except in Igbo language. Even I can't say "Our Lord's Prayer" in Ika because I was thought that in Igbo. Churches like Catholic, Baptist, Anglican, even Cherubim and many other churches do all their recitals in Igbo and it's the norm to try to pray in Igbo language. Igbo was like the Latin of Ika churches still existing till date.

Another factor is the population of Igbo speakers. Igbos are existing in 5 States and these 5States States have little amount of non Igbos in them. The Igbo States are mostly populated by Igbo people which shows the Igbos have always had a very high population. Inspite of Igbos populating 5 States, there is no where you go to without seeing a high number of Igbos. You guys are everywhere. Some years back when I was in Abuja, I sometimes wonder if Abuja is turning into Igbo land. All the taxi, molue and even El rufai drivers are Igbo. Wherever you go to, they speak Igbo to you as if it's the new lingua franca of Nigeria. If you reply in English, you see a great shock on their face. Same thing with Lagos. Even outside of Nigeria, Igbos are everywhere in large numbers.

And wherever Igbos are large number, they invade and occupy and make that place their home. No intention of going back home. After that, they start looking for ways to rename the place and Igbonize it. If they see for instance, a place called Ife for instance, they wouldn't call it Ife but they will call it a name like Ifeyinwa, and concoct a story of how a certain Ifeyinwa is the founder of that place. And if Igbos are there in large numbers or if this place is close to Igboland, this name and story will stuck wiping away the original name and history. They also do this for people's name and words. I'm talking from experience and observations.

Another way Igbos influence others is the media including movies, and music (especially gospel music) and other means. I can go on and on.

Lame excuse, how does this make Ika people change their name and forget their language, why is it not the same with Ogoni people who are closed to Igbo
Re: Are Urhobos And Isoko And Ika Also Edo? by Chibossboi(m): 11:15am On Aug 15, 2019
Pls I notice some things here,and I want to make it clear.
Am an ukwuani guy

Ika is not ukwuani and ukwuani is not Ika.
Yes an average ukwuani understand Ika but not all can speak it
Same with the enuani
My mom ND dad speak our ukwuani,Ika
They also speak d central Igbo ND also have some understanding of The wider Igbo society
Well except for the our ezza language
I can understand Ika to some level
But I have wider understanding of the enuani ND centeral Igbo down to some part in Imo State.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! / Another South African Girl Shares Beautiful Topless Picture / Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.