Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,050 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? (12237 Views)

Delta (and Rivers) Igbos / Is The Oba Of Benin The Greatest Monarch In Africa / 39th Oba Of Benin: The Man Eheneden Erediauwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Oduduwaa: 7:47pm On Feb 18, 2017
uckennety:

Dt tin you call Eze is just like a mere title just av money or av charisma! You'll be Eze ndi igbo anywia anytime!

One of my uncle is[b] EZE GOLD in south african is he ruling gold?[/b]

Eze is not an achievement! A lot of hungry ezes I know!

Dt shit aint anytin!

So y r u giving it attention! U should ignore it just like we do!

Eze Gold hahahahahaah grin grin grin grin grin grin U are funny oo

1 Like

Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Olu317(m): 7:47pm On Feb 18, 2017
YOU EH? GOD FORGIVE YOU OF YOUR TRESPASS... ;DYOU EH? GOD FORGIVE YOU OF YOUR TRESPASS... NO HE IS NOT.
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:48pm On Feb 18, 2017
Oduduwaa:

You are saying this and another igbo guy is saying another..... Which do we believe now?

Believe what you want, braah.
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by uckennety(m): 7:49pm On Feb 18, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Eze Nri of Agukwu, Eze Nri of Oraeri, Ezeigwe (Obi) of Oguta, Attamaya of Ossomala, Igwe of Atani, Igwe of Nnewi, etc.

All these kingship systems existed in the southeast from precolonial days. They are not 'political appointments/favours'.

Maybe we in imo,ebonyi and abia don't know dem and their authority ends in their villages
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:51pm On Feb 18, 2017
uckennety:

Maybe we in imo,ebonyi and abia don't know dem and their authority ends in their villages

Yes, I don't dispute that their authorities did not go beyond their towns. But you made it sound like only Agbor and Onitsha had kings. That's the impression I was trying to correct. I agree with your other points.
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Oduduwaa: 7:55pm On Feb 18, 2017
uckennety:

Haba shey Naso you hate kingship reach?
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by uckennety(m): 8:05pm On Feb 18, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Yes, I don't dispute that their authorities did not go beyond their towns. But you made it sound like only Agbor and Onitsha had kings. That's the impression I was trying to correct. I agree with your other points.

Ya exactly

And if I go to their town and break D law! D don't av d power to enforce it on me!without causing a backfire 4rm my community! Unless wt I did is morally wrong! Wat dt really av power in igbo lands are D chief-priest! D av to take me to d shrine!and leave me to settle wid d oracles! As different as igbos are from enugu to edo,from edo to rivers,from rivers to cross-river we worship n fear one God! AmadioHa,ikenga,kamalu e.t.c same deities! A priest in ikwerre is highly respected and feared in agbor just like dt
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by uckennety(m): 8:08pm On Feb 18, 2017
Oduduwaa:

Haba shey Naso you hate kingship reach?

Naso e be! No igbo man wants to b ruled
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Oduduwaa: 8:19pm On Feb 18, 2017
uckennety:

Naso e be! No igbo man wants to b ruled

Nobody us ruling anybody..... Kingship is all about bonding as a people
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by uckennety(m): 8:21pm On Feb 18, 2017
Oduduwaa:

Nobody us ruling anybody..... Kingship is all about bonding as a people

It's bondage not bonding
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Oduduwaa: 8:26pm On Feb 18, 2017
uckennety:

It's bondage not bonding

Nawa for u oo.... Dont u think igbos wuld be better of if the had obas n obis
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by uckennety(m): 8:30pm On Feb 18, 2017
Oduduwaa:

Nawa for u oo.... Dont u think igbos wuld be better of if the had obas n obis

Time 4 dt av passed! But this is it!
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by thebadmus(m): 9:23pm On Feb 18, 2017
Oduduwaa:

Dont let tribalism kill you oo!
grin Ori Pelebe

Ninu odo adagun ni alakan ti le fo epo, t'odo ba di agadangba, a gbe alakan lo
. Hey! Incantation, I dodge it. owo t'ogede ba gbe arare ni fi na, ti arigi segi ba segi ori arare ni'o se le... Yara gbe erue(cary ur load)
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by nengibo: 9:26pm On Feb 18, 2017
Oduduwaa:
Obi of Igbo

With the Benin Abe Sword of Office and beads.
Obi of igbo?
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by agadez007(m): 8:28am On Feb 19, 2017
No be only Oba of benin,na Igwe of Coutonou
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Oduduwaa: 8:35am On Feb 19, 2017
agadez007:
No be only Oba of benin,na Igwe of Coutonou

Conquered ppl howfar i see you av found ur way here hahaha make i call adekunle scorpoin come to do the needfull grin grin grin
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by agadez007(m): 9:03am On Feb 19, 2017
Oduduwaa:

Conquered ppl howfar i see you av found ur way here hahaha make i call adekunle scorpoin come to do the needfull grin grin grin
conqured?
Do i look conquered to you?
Who is adekunle scorpion,is he an AIYE Cult member?
Easy on that crap u smoking least you lose d remaining litte brain u have
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Oduduwaa: 9:34am On Feb 19, 2017
agadez007:
conqured?
Do i look conquered to you?
Who is adekunle scorpion,is he an AIYE Cult member?
Easy on that crap u smoking least you lose d remaining litte brain u have

As long as you are igbo u be conquered........ Hahaha go ask your ppl the man dat gave dem nitemares during d baifra killings shocked grin They will tell u who Adekunle is
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by agadez007(m): 9:58am On Feb 19, 2017
Oduduwaa:

As long as you are igbo u be conquered........ Hahaha go ask your ppl the man dat gave dem nitemares during d baifra killings shocked grin They will tell u who Adekunle is
come to ABA or ONITSHA and spit this nonsense

Na body go tell u
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Oduduwaa: 10:37am On Feb 19, 2017
agadez007:
come to ABA or ONITSHA and spit this nonsense

Na body go tell u

nothing go happen.... why do easterners bark alot?
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by BornStunner1: 11:34am On Feb 21, 2017
Oduduwaa:

You just rushed into the thread like a toxic mosquito...... I am Yoruba from Ile ife ... I am not even Edo.... I just stated the Obvoius without bais...

Even if we are from a different ethnic group does not mean we shud be baised to others!!

Yoruba nation does not need ppl like you

Toxic Mosquito hahahaha grin cheesy
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Nobody: 11:59am On Feb 21, 2017
Oduduwaa:
Are Urhobos And Isoko And Ika Also Edo?

The Language, Culture and Traditions Are so similar to Edo infact Urhobos and isoko see themselves as one with Edo and Acknoledge Benin as thier source.... Just like all yorubas pay homage to my hometown ile ife cool.

And Another thing that baffles me is the Nnamdi Azikiwe in 1963 said Igbos are from Edo and i have noticed Edo Culture on my numerous trips to Onitsha back in the days!!

As far as we know igbos have no history of Kingdoms or Kingship

Benin has a lot of soft power influence, but it is a fallacy to say the Oba of Benin is the paramount ruler of any Igbo territory. That is a blasted lie and you know it. Having said that, it is an honour to the Igbos to have a great neighbour like the Edos and we, as well as they, can borrow aspects of culture from each other in a mutually beneficial manner. Nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by BornStunner1: 4:24pm On Feb 21, 2017
igbodefender:

Benin has a lot of soft power influence, but it is a fallacy to say the Oba of Benin is the paramount ruler of any Igbo territory. That is a blasted lie and you know it. Having said that, it is an honour to the Igbos to have a great neighbour like the Edos and we, as well as they, can borrow aspects of culture from each other in a mutually beneficial manner. Nothing wrong with that.

Nice comment Bro...... I got igbos as friends back then in Benin and you are wonderfull ppl
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Feb 21, 2017
BornStunner1:

Nice comment Bro...... I got igbos as friends back then in Benin and you are wonderfull ppl
The Edo people are a great people. Even in the 16th Century or so, the Benin Empire already had diplomatic relations with European powers. Their kings respect themselves and they are a united people. Their is so much to like about Edo culture.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Favor99(m): 11:50pm On Mar 07, 2017
igbodefender:
The Edo people are a great people. Even in the 16th Century or so, the Benin Empire already had diplomatic relations with European powers. Their kings respect themselves and they are a united people. Their is so much to like about Edo culture.
Thanks bro. I really respect Igbos and their enterprising and very hard working nature
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Cire80: 3:59am On Mar 08, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Eze Nri of Agukwu, Eze Nri of Oraeri, Ezeigwe (Obi) of Oguta, Attamaya of Ossomala, Igwe of Atani, Igwe of Nnewi, etc.

All these kingship systems existed in the southeast from precolonial days. They are not 'political appointments/favours'.

Are these kings Monarchies? And why is the Obi title only in Anioma and Kingdoms affiliated with Anioma. Could it be this?

If the Ovie title of the Urhobos was corrupted from this Edo word Ovbie, then it makes lots of sense that Obi was also from this same word. The Urhobos eliminated the letter B while the Aniomas eliminated the letters B, E

Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Cire80: 4:41am On Mar 08, 2017
uckennety:

Ya exactly

And if I go to their town and break D law! D don't av d power to enforce it on me!without causing a backfire 4rm my community! Unless wt I did is morally wrong! Wat dt really av power in igbo lands are D chief-priest! D av to take me to d shrine!and leave me to settle wid d oracles! As different as igbos are from enugu to edo,from edo to rivers,from rivers to cross-river we worship n fear one God! AmadioHa,ikenga,kamalu e.t.c same deities! A priest in ikwerre is highly respected and feared in agbor just like dt
well, I'm from Agbor and I don't understand what you mean by a priest in Ikwerre or Enugu being respected and feared in Agbor.

Every communal spiritual stuffs done in Agbor and all Ika is towards Edo especially the Esan area. If someone dies mysteriously, the family or community go for divination to know the cause of death. And many occasions too. Some Ika communities like Owa and others are good at necromancy as well. Even when someone is intimidated or offended and they want to report in a shrine, it's usually within Ika or Edo and nobody ever goes to the East for this.

All our major deities are originated from Edo. From Ogun(Idigun) to Olokun and several others. The Olokun priestesses are called Ohenre or Ihenre for plural Edo is Ohen. The major festivals are Edo. Where do you guys get your fables from?

1 Like

Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by uckennety(m): 5:43am On Mar 08, 2017
Cire80:
well, I'm from Agbor and I don't understand what you mean by a priest in Ikwerre or Enugu being respected and feared in Agbor.

Every communal spiritual stuffs done in Agbor and all Ika is towards Edo especially the Esan area. If someone dies mysteriously, the family or community go for divination to know the cause of death. And many occasions too. Some Ika communities like Owa and others are good at necromancy as well. Even when someone is intimidated or offended and they want to report in a shrine, it's usually within Ika or Edo and nobody ever goes to the East for this.

All our major deities are originated from Edo. From Ogun(Idigun) to Olokun and several others. The Olokun priestesses are called Ohenre or Ihenre for plural Edo is Ohen. The major festivals are Edo. Where do you guys get your fables from?

It's clear u didn't read! Well when you do contact me
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:50am On Mar 08, 2017
Cire80:
Are these kings Monarchies? And why is the Obi title only in Anioma and Kingdoms affiliated with Anioma. Could it be this?

If the Ovie title of the Urhobos was corrupted from this Edo word Ovbie, then it makes lots of sense that Obi was also from this same word. The Urhobos eliminated the letter B while the Aniomas eliminated the letters B, E

I do not agree, and I will tell you why shortly. But first, how would you translate the name of this Agbor quarter in English. 'Ime Obi'. It doesn't mean 'Inside the King' now, does it?

1 Like

Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by pazienza(m): 7:59am On Mar 08, 2017
Cire80:

This is the comedy of the year.

Obi is a title of a King in Anioma region and is rooted in Igbo language. The word for King in Anioma, even in Igbanke that is in Edo state is "Eze", Even though the Bini had forced the title "Enogie" on the Ezes of Igbanke people.

Just as the title for a king in Anambra and Enugu areas is "Igwe", but the word for King remain "Eze" .

After twisting distorting and Edonizing the Igbo title "Obi" to Ovbie, what are you going to do about the Igbo word, "Eze", that remains the word for a king?

When a man buries himself, his hands would always be above the soil surface for all to see.

2 Likes

Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Cire80: 10:39am On Mar 08, 2017
RedboneSmith:

I do not agree, and I will tell you why shortly. But first, how would you translate the name of this Agbor quarter in English. 'Ime Obi'. It doesn't mean 'Inside the King' now, does it?
What's the meaning of Obi in Igbo then. I'm sure you know quite well that every word must not be translated word for word. OK, assuming Obi is an Igbo word, translate it let's see. The Last time I checked, I didn't see any reasonable meaning of Obi in Igbo that relates it to kingship. No non Anioma king uses the Obi title. Only recently I started seeing some writing something like Eze of so so and so, then something like Igwe then Obi on bracket before the name and this is because of the prestige attached to the Obi title. Then you And are you going to ignore the Ovie title which was also corrupted from Ovbie?
Re: Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? by Cire80: 10:42am On Mar 08, 2017
pazienza:

This is the comedy of the year.

Obi is a title of a King in Anioma region and is rooted in Igbo language. The word for King in Anioma, even in Igbanke that is in Edo state is "Eze", Even though the Bini had forced the title "Enogie" on the Ezes of Igbanke people.

Just as the title for a king in Anambra and Enugu areas is "Igwe", but the word for King remain "Eze" .

After twisting distorting and Edonizing the Igbo title "Obi" to Ovbie, what are you going to do about the Igbo word, "Eze", that remains the word for a king?

When a man buries himself, his hands would always be above the soil surface for all to see.

I'm not talking about Eze. I clearly wrote Obi. Obi has never been an Igbo title. It's a clear corruption from the original Bini title just. Even the Urhobo version has the same root word. What is the meaning of Obi in Igbo?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fulani/ Hausa Myths, Mythology And Legends / The Oriki Of Omo Ede - What Is Your Oriki / Timothy Ogundele (Macof) Is After My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.