Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,575 members, 7,958,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 12:00 AM

Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) (49914 Views)

NAFDAC Bans Sniper Insecticide In Open Markets, Supermarkets In Nigeria / Agriculture Add Packaging To Your Business And Start Supply Supermarkets / In View (pics): Small Scale Garri Processing Factory At Ijebu Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by LegendaryArnold(m): 5:06pm On Feb 19, 2017
The annoying thing is that Nigerians are addicted to anything foreign even though angry
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by lieutenantHaven: 5:07pm On Feb 19, 2017
sonofLuci:
What's wrong with Indian Gari? Ayahm not understanding

I dnt expect u to understand... Wen u go to uni, u spend all ur time chasing girls. U hvnt heard of economy b4....u dnt understand wat import and export means. Dnt we hv Cassava? Dnt u kno DT it wil affect out production indices? Smhh
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Malawian(m): 5:09pm On Feb 19, 2017
BetaThings:

Why can the two not go hand in hand?
Or must we deal with Boko Haram before throwing out kidnappers?
when will you have sense?
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by nkemjacob2(m): 5:09pm On Feb 19, 2017
change begins with me..... how dat stuff take pass border?
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by lilybonny(f): 5:10pm On Feb 19, 2017
Nawa oo, na real Wa undecided
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Noblesoul123: 5:18pm On Feb 19, 2017
curiousmind11:

I guess you're either the importer of this garri or the officer that passed this through the border. Do Indians eat Garri?

People patronizing these goods that we have comparative advantage are part of our problems in this country.

This is sad!

I thought you were going to mention the wasted foreign exchange that was used to import the rubbish
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by adecz: 5:22pm On Feb 19, 2017
BetaThings:

Explain how the economic policies of Buhari have turned things upside down

You increase or double all the factors of production such as fuel, Electricity, agricultural inputs, & devalue your currency by over 300% & expect price of products & produce to remain static?? Yet govt are telling us they don't know the reason for the inflation...... We are really in trouble with this govt & their inept cabinet.

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by einsteine(m): 5:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
sonnie10:
Did anyone notice where on the pack it says 500g = 1.1 pounds. Indians deceiving Nigerians

That's correct na. 1kg is 2.2 pounds. So 500g is 1.1 pounds.

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by benlizfoods(m): 5:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
world1:

Alot is wrong with it.
Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava. How on earth should we be importing gari into our market? We are not encouraging our industry to grow at all. Umudike and IITA should have better technologies for the processing of cassava into gari than importing from India.

We have our own Garri here o.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by einsteine(m): 5:33pm On Feb 19, 2017
This garri is made in Nigeria. The Indian label is just to justify higher pricing and make it look like a premium product.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by lagosrd: 5:47pm On Feb 19, 2017
sonofLuci:

Everything is wrong about it. Ehhhn
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by seunfly: 5:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
Blakjewelry:
the cassava travel out of naija it only came back preaching change

When he ban rice no be Poeple like you dey cry?
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 19, 2017
sonofLuci:
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by pokipoki: 6:05pm On Feb 19, 2017
anonimi:

Which Audu Ogbe?
The Brazilian grass importer or another one

He is a clueless minister

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Olubee22(f): 6:14pm On Feb 19, 2017
Olodumare! What happened to garri Ijebu, Iwo and garri egba. This is the work of some oversabi Nigerians. Imported garri of all things Oga o

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by pokipoki: 6:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
inourcare:
Can We Stop The Importation By Not Buying It?
People will die of hunger!! The local production cannot sustain the market, that why there is a demand for the imported garri.
A way to reduce the demand for the imported garri is if we as a country up our garri production to fully meet local demand.
The only way that can be done is by the government taking responsibility. We need good roads, electricity, fertilizers, and adequate security. (Especially with the Fulani herdsmen who go about terrorizing farmers and destroying their farmlands.
Once the government take responsibility of the situation, i can assure that within 2 years, you will not see any Indian garri in Nigeria again.

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Kingbusssy(m): 6:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
world1:

Alot is wrong with it.
Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava. How on earth should we be importing gari into our market? We are not encouraging our industry to grow at all. Umudike and IITA should have better technologies for the processing of cassava into gari than importing from India.

You're very correct
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by dustydee: 6:36pm On Feb 19, 2017
TRS is a popular brand in the UK. The first time I saw TRS garri was in 2012 in Tesco, in the UK. There's another brand called Island Sun. I personally don't see what the fuss is all about. If there's no market, then people will not import it. Rather than blame the importers, focus on the consumers and discourage them (you don't need to if you have a superior and cheaper product and I believe we do). The writer is just being sensational.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Guyman02: 6:48pm On Feb 19, 2017
raayah:
OP, I don't think Indian garri should not be imported.

I think you're missing the big picture. It seems like this might be an Indian delicacy ( it might taste different).

Since a lot of Indians live in Nigeria, it makes sense that there's a store that imports Indian food and sells it here.

Same thing that happens in places like Canada or even the U.S. using indomie as an example, there are local noodles but Nigerians might prefer to buy indomie.

It will become a problem, if your local market was selling imported garri from India instead of Nigerian garri, not a fancy store. I really doubt that imported Indian garri is sold at the local market. This is not something to shout about.

Imagine if oyinbo countries start banning specialty stores from selling egusi , pepper or crayfish. I'm not sure it will go over well.
Indians eat masala ans kebab not Gari, even if it is an Indian delicacy the word Gari is Nigerian perhaps they can call their own something else.
The scarcity of Gari is the reason people are importing into Nigeria. The menace of Fulani herdsmen ans Bolo Haram is visible as many farmers have become displaced
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by justmenoni: 7:04pm On Feb 19, 2017
Oga, can you tell us how on earth should ee be importing Petrol? Groundnut? Rice? And alot of other things.

quote author=world1 post=53843965]
Alot is wrong with it.
Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava. How on earth should we be importing gari into our market? We are not encouraging our industry to grow at all. Umudike and IITA should have better technologies for the processing of cassava into gari than importing from India.[/quote]
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by shukudi(m): 7:16pm On Feb 19, 2017
world1:
Nigeria has been sold to Indians and Chinese (Asians) by our govt and the agencies.
abeg make we hear word jo! Between kellogs conflakes nd Nasco conflakes, which one do u eat? Between Ola-Ola poundo yam nd Ayoola poundo yam, which one do u eat? Does the gvnmt force u to buy. We r quick to blame the govnmt, but refuse to tell ourselves the truth. Our cravings for foreign goods is what is killing the country. When govnmt placed a ban on imported rice to encourage d growth nd production of local rice, what was d reaction of Nigerians? In case u don't know, the ppl in govnmt are not aliens. They also came out of our various localities. So start ur campaign from ur immediate environment. #BuyNaijaToGrowNaija#

1 Like

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by cooltola(m): 7:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
Nigeria and backward mentality no one wants the hard way and everyone wants to be on top. Our President still in London and wonder why he cannot get a treatment in Abuja?
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by bigiyaro(m): 7:33pm On Feb 19, 2017
sonofLuci:
everything is very wrong with ur head, for asking dis silly question.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by doskie(m): 7:45pm On Feb 19, 2017
world1:

Alot is wrong with it.
a Nigerian may be behind what you see as Indian garri. Anything can be packaged.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by Nobody: 7:47pm On Feb 19, 2017
`

3 Likes

Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by little16: 7:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
na today!
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by world1(m): 8:15pm On Feb 19, 2017
jordinsparkles:
Una sabi lie ehn! Shey Indians know wetin be garri? Which kine lie be dis, abeg upgrade your lies, or u find a better one. And one more thing, even if they know what cassava flour is, do they know how to or can they fry it.
please be mature we are not talking about biscuit here. if you want to confirm this it the address in VI (Renee Supermarket Ikoyi on Cameron Road)
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by alpacinoO: 8:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
If this is true, "Importation of Garri from Indian" then it shows that Nigerian government is a useless government.
That the can even allow commodities like Garri to be imported into the country.
Soon air will be imported into the country.
Don't be surprised when you see dust from China or India imported into the country.
I think economic crimes in Nigeria should be properly defined and should carry death penalty even for foreigners who try and circumvent our laws and sabotage our economy.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by world1(m): 8:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
allrightsir:

Nigerians should try and be a little more enluightened in their statements.

Firstly why is he/she blaming NAFDAC AND Customs. Is the garri unsafe? Is Garri banned? NafDacs job is to make sure food sold in Nigeria is safe for consumption, Customs job is to make sure banned items don't get in. So again I ask you,..... is garri banned?

As far as National shame, let me point you in the direction of imported petrol and diesel. I think you should ficus your energies more on the big national disgrace which is spending over half of your forex importing petroleum products.

We have bigger fish to worry about than imported garri.

My brother don't say what you don't know Cassava is on import prohibited list. I wonder how garri then enter into our country.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by world1(m): 8:22pm On Feb 19, 2017
allrightsir:

why? big fish has already killed us. if we had focussed on the small fish, that mentality would have become ingrained and we won't have problems with the big fish.

Those blaming NAFDAC or Customs are vexing with the wrong people. They should take responsibility if they are that bothered because we are all collectively responsible. for the rot in the country Remember Lassa fever caused by RATS peeing on garri dried out in the open? In the centuries we have been making garri, All our businessmen traders and farmers have not been able to find a hygienic way of producing our garri. Are we waiting for govt to establish garri factory for us? Nigerians did not spot the opportunity the Indians spotted because they were busy praying, when a foreigner spots it , we start to vex, make noise but guess what...nothing changes!!!!

We are a use a useless bunch of people. Instead of tacking our problems head on we are all praying, why won't we be importing garri and petrol?

The problems we are witnessing are a reflection of the average Nigerian. This is a failed country, better come to terms with it. Health system, education, transport are non-existent, you are importing palm oil, petrol, tomatoes you are worried about garri. Abeg smell the coffee, the horse has left the stable!!!

Spare me the bullshit, the same people complaining are the same people that will refuse to eat local rice. America is a great country because they buy American, same with the Brits, we are not even proud to speak in our own accents, or answer our own nanes, so what's all this noise over imported garri?

Cassava is on import prohibited list. I wonder how garri then enter into our country.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by world1(m): 8:25pm On Feb 19, 2017
[quote author=justmenoni post=53863841]Oga, can you tell us how on earth should we be importing Petrol? Groundnut? Rice? And alot of other things.

Cassava is on import prohibited list. I wonder how garri then enter into our country.
Re: Indian Garri Being Sold In Nigerian Supermarkets (Photos) by world1(m): 8:33pm On Feb 19, 2017
Mrjo:
i think we hav people that patronise our garri so stop ranting b/cus @the end price and masses will decide
how can you say someone is ranting where is your manner? for your information Cassava is on import prohibited list. so garri cant be imported.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Imported Poultry Battery Cages (wholesale Price) / What Fruit Could This Be? / Huge Python Killed By A Farmer In Calabar (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.