Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,312 members, 7,819,065 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? (1461 Views)

What Is Your Understanding Of Sabbath? / Palm Sunday: The Triumphant Entry Of Jesus Into Jerusalem / Today Is Sunday: How Do We Worship God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by Oladimix: 6:45pm On Feb 19, 2017
Observing a Sabbath day of rest/non-work was a command in theOld Covenant law (Exodus 20:8; 31:12–18). Christians are not under the law but have traditionally set aside Sunday as a day of worshipand rest in remembrance of the fact that Jesus was resurrected on a Sunday. Some view Sunday as the Christian Sabbath, essentially transferring the Old Covenant laws about not working from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday to Sundays. Even in an increasingly secular culture, many businesses are still closed on Sundays. Is this biblical?

It is important to understand that theNew Covenantnowhere commands worship or restricts work on Sundays. Biblically speaking, Sunday is not the Christian Sabbath. The New Testament describes Christians worshiping on Sundays (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2), but this is descriptive rather than prescriptive. Christians aredescribed as worshipping on Sundays, but Sunday worship is nowhere prescribedor commanded. Nowhere in the New Testament are Christians even described as setting aside Sunday as a Sabbath day.

The Sabbath day was an important aspect of the covenant between God and Israel. Exodus 31:17 states, “It [the Sabbath day] is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.” Prior to God giving the nation of Israel theMosaic Law, God nowhere required Sabbath observance. After Jesus’ death on the cross perfectlyfulfilled the Law, God nowhere requires Sabbath observance. Biblically speaking, Christians are not commanded to observe a Sabbath day on Saturday or Sunday or any other day of the week.

At the same time, following the creation pattern of six days of work followed by a day of rest is a good thing. Further, setting aside a day of the week to focus on worship in undeniably biblical (Hebrews 10:25), although we are to worship God every day, not just one day per week. And, ultimately, Jesus is our Sabbath rest (Hebrews 4).

In conclusion, no, Sunday is not the Christian Sabbath. There is no biblically commanded Christian Sabbath. But it is perfectly acceptable to set aside Sunday as a day for worship in light of Christ’s resurrection occurring on a Sunday. Also, making Sunday a day of rest to coincide with its being a day of worship seems a logical and, more importantly, biblically sound thing to do.

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by dingbang(m): 7:18pm On Feb 19, 2017
After Jesus died, there was a new commandment......

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by Splinz(m): 10:10pm On Feb 19, 2017
What a poor student of the Bible. SMH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by MuttleyLaff: 11:14pm On Feb 19, 2017
Oladimix:
Observing a Sabbath day of rest/non-work was a command in theOld Covenant law (Exodus 20:8; 31:12–18). Christians are not under the law but have traditionally set aside Sunday as a day of worshipand rest in remembrance of the fact that Jesus was resurrected on a Sunday. Some view Sunday as the Christian Sabbath, essentially transferring the Old Covenant laws about not working from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday to Sundays. Even in an increasingly secular culture, many businesses are still closed on Sundays. Is this biblical?

It is important to understand that theNew Covenantnowhere commands worship or restricts work on Sundays. Biblically speaking, Sunday is not the Christian Sabbath. The New Testament describes Christians worshiping on Sundays (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2), but this is descriptive rather than prescriptive. Christians aredescribed as worshipping on Sundays, but Sunday worship is nowhere prescribedor commanded. Nowhere in the New Testament are Christians even described as setting aside Sunday as a Sabbath day.

The Sabbath day was an important aspect of the covenant between God and Israel. Exodus 31:17 states, “It [the Sabbath day] is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.” Prior to God giving the nation of Israel theMosaic Law, God nowhere required Sabbath observance. After Jesus’ death on the cross perfectlyfulfilled the Law, God nowhere requires Sabbath observance. Biblically speaking, Christians are not commanded to observe a Sabbath day on Saturday or Sunday or any other day of the week.

At the same time, following the creation pattern of six days of work followed by a day of rest is a good thing. Further, setting aside a day of the week to focus on worship in undeniably biblical (Hebrews 10:25), although we are to worship God every day, not just one day per week. And, ultimately, Jesus is our Sabbath rest (Hebrews 4).

In conclusion, no, Sunday is not the Christian Sabbath. There is no biblically commanded Christian Sabbath. But it is perfectly acceptable to set aside Sunday as a day for worship in light of Christ’s resurrection occurring on a Sunday. Also, making Sunday a day of rest to coincide with its being a day of worship seems a logical and, more importantly, biblically sound thing to do.
"For six days work may be done,
but on the seventh day you shall have a holy day,
a sabbath of complete rest to the LORD
;
whoever does any work on it shall be put to death.

- Exodus 35:2

OP thank you for putting this write-up in the public domain,
though you left out Exodus 35:2, thank you still
I wonder who is enforcing Exodus 35:2

This sabbath something is very interesting and quite important
but it is bad that all you've shared is not well-known to believers who strictly observes Sunday as a sabbath
and that closet Seventh Day Adventists like the blueAgent or Splinz of this world dont take as gospel that the sabbath has been abolished

After first denying or resisting the truth about the abolition of sabbath, I doubt these two group of sabbatarians
(i.e. observers of Saturday or Sunday as a sabbath),
in light of supportive biblical evidences, <<notice the plural, will admit or agree that it is true that the sabbath has been abolished.

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by dingbang(m): 11:20pm On Feb 19, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
;

but it is bad that all you've shared is not well-known to believers who strictly observes Sunday as a sabbath
and that closet Seventh Day Adventists like the blueAgent or Splinz of this world dont take as gospel that the sabbath has been abolished

After first denying or resisting the truth about the abolition of sabbath, I doubt these two group of sabbatarians
in light of supportive biblical evidences, notice the plural, will admit or agree that it is true that the sabbath has been abolished.

Yes ooo
and the sabbath unlike others didnt make the list
the law was abolished giving way to faith and love
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by MuttleyLaff: 11:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
dingbang:
After Jesus died, there was a new commandment......
Yes ooo
and the sabbath didnt smell the list, talkless be on the list like others did

dingbang:
the law was abolished giving way to faith and love
Yes the law was abolished
but nine out of the ten abolished laws were reinstated
The hammer dropped on the fourth commandment (i.e. Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy)
and was not restored by Jesus nor in the New Testament
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by blueAgent(m): 3:56pm On Feb 21, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
;

in light of supportive biblical evidences, <<notice the plural, will admit or agree that it is true that the sabbath has been abolished.

I guess paul was talking about Nigerian Law when he said we should establish the law?

"Do we then make void the law
through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." Romans 3:31.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by MuttleyLaff: 5:08pm On Feb 21, 2017
blueAgent:
I guess paul was talking about Nigerian Law when he said we should establish the law?

"Do we then make void the law
through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." Romans 3:31.
You are out of your depth.

OK, I am so pleased that you've dragged Nigerian Law into this because the law of gravity etcetera questions which you were dodging earlier can show up here in a slight different form.

Do we then make void the law of gravity by jumping off a skyscraper without a parachute through faith. God forbid: yea, gravity is established.

Can you blueAgent sitting inside a Boeing 747 take off in the air and make the law of gravity void through faith. God allows: Yes, we establish the law of aerodynamics
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by blueAgent(m): 1:52pm On Feb 22, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
You are out of your depth.

OK, I am so pleased that you've dragged Nigerian Law into this because the law of gravity etcetera questions which you were dodging earlier can show up here in a slight different form.

Do we then make void the law of gravity by jumping off a skyscraper without a parachute through faith. God forbid: yea, gravity is established.

Can you blueAgent sitting inside a Boeing 747 take off in the air and make the law of gravity void through faith. God allows: Yes, we establish the law of aerodynamics

Stop diverting from my the question which law was Paul referring to Romans3:31. which he asked us to establish.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by MuttleyLaff: 2:29pm On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:
Stop diverting from my the question which law was Paul referring to Romans3:31. which he asked us to establish.
You diverted first to Nigerian Law, didn't you.
So what's good for blueAgent to do, is equally good for MuttleyLaff to do too in bringing in the law of gravity and law of aerodynamics to make you see the point and correlation
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by blueAgent(m): 2:32pm On Feb 22, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
You diverted first to Nigerian Law, didn't you.
So what's good for blueAgent to do, is equally good for MuttleyLaff to do too in bringing in the law of gravity and law of aerodynamics to make you see the point and correlation

Answer the question, which law did Paul ask us to establish?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by MuttleyLaff: 3:13pm On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:
Answer the question, which law did Paul ask us to establish?
Are you a learner?
Ought you by now, to have known that Paul was talking about of the law of faith.

That's is what you establish in order to override one law when using or applying a superior law. SMH
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by blueAgent(m): 10:01pm On Feb 24, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Are you a learner?
Ought you by now, to have known that Paul was talking about of the law of faith.

That's is what you establish in order to override one law when using or applying a superior law. SMH

Which one is law of faith?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by MuttleyLaff: 2:33pm On Feb 26, 2017
blueAgent:
Which one is law of faith?
Where then is boasting? It has been excluded. Through what law?
That of works? No, but through a law of faith

- Romans 3:27
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by blueAgent(m): 6:18am On Mar 03, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Where then is boasting? It has been excluded. Through what law?
That of works? No, but through a law of faith

- Romans 3:27

Stop confusing yourself with too much Bible verses.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by MuttleyLaff: 8:11am On Mar 03, 2017
blueAgent:
Stop confusing yourself with too much Bible verses.
At least you can now stop splitting hairs over your ''Which one is law of faith'' question
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by blueAgent(m): 11:54am On Mar 03, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
At least you can now stop splitting hairs over your ''Which one is law of faith'' question

You murder Bible verses.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by MuttleyLaff: 7:27pm On Mar 03, 2017
blueAgent:
You murder Bible verses.
To be honest, I am a little concerned you're being slayed by the same lethal drop-shot Bible verses and you dont yet know it
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? by ichuka(m): 8:26pm On Mar 03, 2017
Jesus is our Sabbath

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Many Take Jesus As The Supreme God???? / For Wheresoever The Carcase Is, There Will The Eagles Be Gathered Together / The Ubermensch Are Coming. They Are Here Already

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.