Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,273 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:07 AM

Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time (4196 Views)

Forbes Unveil List Of Highest Earning Artists Of The Decade / Dbanj And US R&B Star, Ari Lennox Visit Babjide Sanwo-Olu (Photos) / Banky W Says Kiss Daniel Is One Of His Favourite Artists Of All Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 12:23pm On Feb 21, 2017
The minute you start talking about any type of “greatest” list, the notion immediately invites loud debate. For those born in the late 70s and 80s you will be familiar with many of the names mentioned in this list. it will be worthy to say the list is in a descending order, based on Billboard ’s tally of the 35 greatest R&B artists of all time.
The 35th on the list is

35. Etta James
Best known for her indelible 1961 version of wedding standard “At Last,” Etta James first took off in 1955 with the R&B chart-topper “The Wallflower.” Her gutsy, take-no-prisoner vocals colorfully interpreted everything from blues and R&B/soul to rock n’roll, jazz and gospel. Among other catalog notables: “If I Can’t Have You,” “Tell Mama” and “I’d Rather Go Blind.” Portrayed by Beyoncé in the 2008 film Cadillac Records , James released her last album in 2011 ( The Dreamer) -- the same year that DJ Avicii (“Levels”) and Flo Rida (“Good Feeling) sampled her ’62 hit “Something’s Got a Hold on Me.” James died in 2012.

1 Like

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 12:28pm On Feb 21, 2017
34. Jill Scott
Armed with a distinctive style melding R&B, jazz, hip-hop, spoken word, opera, country and other influences, Philadelphia native Jill Scott uses her soaring soprano to color in stories about female empowerment and love. Making her head-turning debut in 2000 with the platinum-selling Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Vol. 1 , the singer/songwriter/actress has kept the R&B fires burning of late with back-to-back No. 1 albums
The Light of the Sun and Woman .

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 12:32pm On Feb 21, 2017
33. Maxwell
Maxwell collaborated with songwriter/producer Leon Ware (Marvin Gaye) for his groundswell-building 1996 debut Maxwell’s Urban Hang Suite (featuring “Ascension,” “Sumthin’ Sumthin’”). Whether covering Kate Bush’s “This Woman’s Work” or the R. Kelly-penned “Fortunate” from the film Life, Maxwell brought a suave, sophisticated and sexy swagger to his role as an innovative foot soldier in the neo-soul movement. Taking an eight-year break after 2001 third album Now , the singer singlehandedly staged a soul revival with 2009’s BLACKsummers’night , spinning off the hits “Pretty Wings,” “Bad Habits” and “Fistful of Tears.”

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 12:37pm On Feb 21, 2017
32. D'Angelo
Credited as one of neo-soul’s leading progenitors, along with Erykah Badu, Maxwell and Lauryn Hill, D’Angelo wowed the industry and fans alike in 1995 with stunning debut album Brown Sugar (featuring the title track “Lady” and “Cruisin’”). With Prince, Al Green, and Raphael Saadiq as inspirational guideposts, the singer/songwriter/musician has since become the Haley’s Comet of music. The sexy crooner returned in 2005 with acclaimed Voodoo (“Untitled [How Does It Feel”]) and then waited nine years to release year’s Black Messiah . Those lengthy absences have done nothing to dilute D’Angelo’s solid reputation as a creative force influencing such next-gen acts as Frank Ocean.

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 12:40pm On Feb 21, 2017
31. Usher
Citing Michael Jackson as a major influence, singer/songwriter Usher notched his first R&B top 10 with “Think of You” in 1995. While second and third albums My Way and 8701 further built his artistic credentials, it was 2004 album
Confessions -- featuring the singles “Yeah,” “Burn” and “Confessions Part II” -- that solidified the smooth-dancing tenor’s reputation as an influential force in his own right (mentoring artists including Justin Bieber). Usher has since taken excursions into dance and pop via subsequent albums, including Here I Stand and Looking 4 Myself .

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 12:43pm On Feb 21, 2017
30. Erykah Badu
Erykah Badu’s early 1997 debut, Baduizm , refreshingly reconfigured R&B, hip-hop, jazz and other elements into an alternative sound tagged as neo-soul. Badu’s insightful lyrics and textured vocals powered the No. 1 singles “On & On,” “Next Lifetime” and "Tyrone," from her live album later that year. The Dallas native, whose catalog includes “Bag Lady,” “Love of My Life” with Common and “Window Seat,” has most recently collaborated with fellow alt-R&B progenitor Janelle Monae and released a remix of Drake’s “Hotline Bling.”

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 12:54pm On Feb 21, 2017
29. Tina Turner
With then-husband Ike, Tina Turner pumped out several classics in the ‘60s (“A Fool in Love,” “It’s Going to Work Out Fine”) before scoring dynamic success in 1971 with a fiercely energetic revamp of Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Proud Mary.” In 1984 the former Anna Mae Bullock -- who collaborated with Phil Spector in 1965 on the sonically packed “River Deep – Mountain High” -- fully stepped out of Ike’s shadow into the solo spotlight with a cover of Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together.” Her sexy and sassy comeback fully clicked that same year with now-signature anthem, “What’s Love Got to Do With It,” followed by “Private Dancer” and “We Don’t Need Another Hero.”

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 12:58pm On Feb 21, 2017
28. Sam Cooke
Former gospel singer Sam Cooke broke ground in 1957 with the R&B/pop crossover hit “You Send Me.” Setting the stage for such later soul disciples as Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Bobby Womack and Curtis Mayfeld, Cooke wrapped his smooth, melodic tenor around such unforgettable songs as “Chain Gang,” “Cupid,” “Having a Party” and “Another Saturday Night.” His pioneering stance also extended to the executive suite as the founder of a record label and publishing company. And his activism on the civil rights front resulted in the quiet protest song “A Change Is Gonna Come.”

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 12:59pm On Feb 21, 2017
27. Alicia Keys
Breakthrough singles “Fallin’” and “A Woman’s Worth” on 2001 debut album Songs in A Minor set the tone for Alicia Keys’ storied career. Mentored by Clive Davis, the singer/songwriter and accomplished pianist has racked up additional hits “You Don’t Know My Name,” “If I Ain’t Got You,” “Like You’ll Never See Me Again, “No One” and guest stint on Jay Z’s “Empire State of Mind.” Keys’ hallmarks are passionate vocals and a music style incorporating the influences of Donny Hathaway, Nina Simone and Prince.

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 1:04pm On Feb 21, 2017
26. Anita Baker
From the mid-‘80s through the mid-‘90s, Anita Baker’s expressive contralto was a constant fixture on the radio. Releasing her aptly titled debut album The Songstress (featuring “Angel”) in 1983, the singer/songwriter followed with platinum-selling sophomore set Rapture and a litany of hit singles (“Sweet Love,” “No One in the World,” “Giving You the Best That I Got,” “Body & Soul”). That, plus her early stint as lead vocalist for the band Chapter 8, cemented the former waitress’s standing in R&B history.

1 Like

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 1:06pm On Feb 21, 2017
25. Donny Hathaway
Some 36 years after his untimely death, Donny Hathaway retains his reputation as a major influence among established and aspiring artists from Stevie Wonder and R. Kelly to India.Arie and Alicia Keys. Hathaway’s lithe vocals and skilled musicianship began drawing national attention in 1970 with “The Ghetto - Part 1.” His career soared after teaming with labelmate Roberta Flack on a series of duets (“Where is the Love,” “The Closer I Get to You”). His 1972 Live is considered one of the quintessential live albums ever recorded. He also co-wrote and performed the holiday standard “This Christmas.”

1 Like

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 1:16pm On Feb 21, 2017
24. Isaac Hayes
Thanks to songs he and partner David Porter wrote for Sam & Dave (“Soul Man”) and others, Isaac Hayes was already a future Songwriters Hall of Fame inductee in the mid-‘60s. But the in-demand Stax Records session man didn’t stop there. His sonorous bass, shaved head and gold chains shook up the R&B status quo with the 1969 arrival of seminal debut album Hot Buttered Soul . Eschewing the standard three-minute single for 12-minute orchestral treatises (“Walk on By”) and similarly lengthy monologues (“By the Time I Get to Phoenix”), Hayes paved the way for disco and rap. His crowning achievement: the Academy Award-winning soundtrack for 1971’s Shaft .

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 1:19pm On Feb 21, 2017
23. Barry White
Barry White literally orchestrated a sea change for R&B in 1973. That’s when he created 40-piece backing band the Love Unlimited Orchestra (“Love’s Theme”), merging classical with R&B for the advent of disco. While also producing girl group Love Unlimited, the innovative maestro lent his mesmerizing bass-baritone to a string of romance-themed songs that well into the ‘90s: “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe,” “You’re The First, The Last, My Everything” and “Practice What You Preach.”

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 1:22pm On Feb 21, 2017
22. Patti LaBelle
Patti LaBelle, aka the Queen of Rock ‘n’ Soul, first gained notoriety in the ‘60s and ‘70s with girl groups the Bluebelles and Labelle (“Lady Marmalade”). Graced with a three-octave soprano, LaBelle stepped out as a solo act in 1977. Over the next two decades, she traversed R&B, gospel and dance and pop terrain with “If Only You Knew,” “You Are My Friend,” “New Attitude,” “Stir It Up” and “On My Own” -- not to mention an electrifying version of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.”

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 1:40pm On Feb 21, 2017
21. Beyoncé
Substitute R&B’s Destiny’s Child for The Supremes and it’s easy to see the parallels between Diana Ross’ superstar trajectory and Beyoncé’s. A compelling and creative force as the frontwoman for music’s last great girl group, Beyoncé hasn’t looked back since her solo album debut with 2003’s Dangerously in Love . Taking the gauntlet from Ross, Michael and Janet Jackson and aiming for the stratosphere, Beyoncé’s creative fearlessness and distinctive four-octave vocal range have tackled female sexuality/empowerment, love and relationships via a core R&B sound that adventurously integrates soul, funk, hip-hop, pop and other elements.

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 1:41pm On Feb 21, 2017
20. Mary J. Blige
Ever since first striking a chord in 1992 with “You Remind Me,” Mary J. Blige remains one of R&B’s most vital voices. Her gritty, arresting vocals and refreshing fusion of soul and hip-hop earned her the nickname Queen of Hip-Hop Soul. Influenced by Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan and Gladys Knight, Blige has forged a singular connection with female fans with music that relates inspirational tales of joy and pain (“Real Love,” “Not Gon’ Cry,” “My Life,” “Be Without You”).

1 Like

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 1:43pm On Feb 21, 2017
19. Chaka Khan
There was no denying the formidable presence of Chaka Khan when she and R&B/funk band Rufus bolted onto the scene in 1974 with the Stevie Wonder composition “Tell Me Something Good.” Between recording projects with the group, the Windy City native belted out the first in a parade of solo hits with the 1978 anthem “I’m Every Woman” followed by “What Cha’ Gonna Do For Me,” “Through the Fire” and the R&B/hip-hop reworking of the Prince gem “I Feel For You.” Khan’s powerhouse vocals netted the singer her first solo nomination this year for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

1 Like

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 1:46pm On Feb 21, 2017
18. Diana Ross
As a member of Motown’s Supremes in the ‘60s, Diana Ross fronted one of the world’s most popular, top-selling girl groups, influencing next-gen acts En Vogue, TLC and Destiny’s Child. The distinctive stylist went solo in 1970 with “Reach Out and Touch.” From there, Ross graduated to diva and then icon status on the strength of such hits as “Ain’ No Mountain High Enough,” “Love Hangover,” “Upside Down” and “I’m Coming Out.” Along the way, the singer/actress mapped out the stardom blueprint for Beyoncé and a contingent of emerging female stars.

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 1:47pm On Feb 21, 2017
17. Janet Jackson
After a seven-year hiatus, Janet Jackson triumphantly returned in October with seventh chart-topping album Unbreakable -- only the third act to score No. 1 albums in each of the last four decades. The project reunited Ms. Jackson with Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, the production team that formally launched her trendsetting solo career in 1986 with the No. 1 R&B single “What Have You Done For Me Lately.” Addressing social and sexual issues against a backdrop of R&B/funk/dance/rap, Jackson’s sultry vocals and sharp choreography have influenced Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé and more -- and scored the singer/songwriter a nomination this year for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

1 Like

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by verygudbadguy(m): 1:51pm On Feb 21, 2017
Following.....
Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 2:00pm On Feb 21, 2017
16. Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds
Just for the “tender Lover” Album alone. we all know that this man is an incredible singer/songwriter. His 1989 album Tender Lover put him on the map as a leading male artist. That album included several hits like “It’s no crime, Soon as i get home, My kinda girl” and definitely the smash of that summer Whip Appeal. I still know this song verbatim, straight up classic. Babyface would have been alot higher on the list but he only released 2 albums in the decade and the first one (Lovers) didn’t respond well with listeners.

1 Like

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 2:11pm On Feb 21, 2017
15.Alexander O’Neal
The 1980’s was very good to this man, he burst onto the scene with hit after hit. With joints like “Fake, Criticize, Sunshine” just to name a few. This man was well on his way to super stardom with the super producers Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis in his corner he couldn’t fail, right? Alexander was a tremendous singer in his own right but he’s probably more renown for the songs he recorded as a duet with R&B sensation Cherrelle. “Never knew love like this & most famously Saturday Love” were two chart toppers for Alex. As the decade inched closer to the 90’s his career became more of a sidebar to drugs and substance abuse

1 Like

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 2:16pm On Feb 21, 2017
14. Teddy Pendergrass
Talk about a legend the late Teddy P had a slew of hits throughout the course of his career. Most of them however coming in the 80’s with hits like Love TKO, My lastest, my greastest inspiration, Close the door & Joy. Plus many many more, Teddy P had a tremendous graspy voice that lead music lovers from all over to clamour to his sound. RIP Teddy Pendergrass

1 Like

Re: Greatest R&B Artists Of All Time by amsoslim(m): 3:34pm On Feb 21, 2017
verygudbadguy:
Following.....
thanks for the follow

(1) (Reply)

Cardi B Shares Shocking Picture Of Swollen Feet Caused By Cosmetic Surgeries / Tony Elumelu Invites Nengi At The Lighting Of The Xmas Tree At Transcorp Hilton / Onah Or Damilola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.