Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,830 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Device Manager Not Working - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Device Manager Not Working (1429 Views)

Iwp Not Working Since The Past Two Days / I Cant Access Device Manager On My Windows Xp / Help My Toshiba Camera Is Not Working (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Device Manager Not Working by Nixo: 12:29am On Dec 10, 2009
Hello House, please my device manager window does not come up anytime i press Ctrl+Alt+Del, anyone with a viable solution

Thanks all.
Re: Device Manager Not Working by mavenbox: 1:33am On Dec 10, 2009
@OP: Or do you mean your TASK MANAGER?

If you mean Device manager, try going to RUN and enter devmgmt.msc (or you can do Windows+R, then enter devmgmt.msc)

If you mean Task Manager, try right clicking on your task bar. Is Task Manager greyed out? If so, you probably have a virus or something running.

Let me know how it goes, smiley
Re: Device Manager Not Working by Nixo: 11:09am On Dec 10, 2009
Thanx Mav, sorry about ma error. I meant tesk manager and yes it is greyed out. How do i rectify such??
Re: Device Manager Not Working by GoodMuyis(m): 12:11pm On Dec 10, 2009
Don't worry much you have virus in your system

Try this steps

Seach Google address and download PROCESS EXPLORER r you can use it as Task Manager

Re: Device Manager Not Working by mavenbox: 5:13pm On Dec 10, 2009
@Nixo: Okay I guessed as much! What the virus does is to edit some registry keys that control the task manager so that you won't be able to use the task manager to end the virus system processes.

I'm not sure if the process explorer will work. What I am sure about is that this can be resolved by entering the registry (Run -> Regedit) and editing the keys correctly.

Method 1
Editing the registry can be fatal to your PC if you make a mistake, so you can just visit

http://www.taskmanagerfix.com/

and download the 76kb fixer file. It is very easy to use, and will simply edit the registry keys for you.

Other methods:

Method 2 - Using the Group Policy Editor (assuming you use Windows XP Professional)

1. Click Start, Run, type gpedit.msc and click OK.
   2. Under User Configuration, Click on the plus (+) next to Administrative Templates
   3. Click on the plus (+) next tSystem, then click on Ctrl+Alt+Delete Options
   4. Find Remove Task Manager in the right-hand pane and double click on it
   5. Choose the option "Not Configured"  and click Ok.
   6. Close the Group Policy Window

Method 3:  Change the Task Manager Option through the Run line

1. Click on Start, Run and type the following command exactly and press Enter

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Method 4: Change Task Manager through a Registry REG file

1. Click on Start, Run, and type Notepad and press Enter
   2. Copy and paste the information between the dotted lines into Notepad and save it to your desktop as taskmanager.reg

------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000
-------------------------------------

3. Double click on the taskmanager.reg file to enter the information into the Windows registry

Method 5: Delete the restriction in the registry manually

1. Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
   2. Navigate to the following branch

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies\ System

3. In the right pane, find and delete the value named DisableTaskMgr
   4. Close the registry editor

Best Regards!
Maven
Re: Device Manager Not Working by Nixo: 9:37pm On Dec 10, 2009
Hello Mav, Thank you so much for the assistance but i keep getting this message anytime i click on run and type regedit.

"registry editing has been disabled by your administrator"

Although the task manager fixer seem to have fixed the problem, the task manager still doesn't work.

Please advice
Re: Device Manager Not Working by mavenbox: 10:46pm On Dec 10, 2009
Interesting! If the registry is also disabled, then you need to first of all re-enable it before dealing with the task manager issue.

Method 1:
If you don’t like to mess with the registry, you can download a VBScript that will enable the registry for you when you run it. The script is a little advanced and will not harm your computer, it’s actually written by a Microsoft MVP!

http://www.dougknox.com/security/scripts_desc/regtools.htm

You can download the script and then just double click on it to run it. After that, try the registry should be enabled.

Method 2:
If you wanna mess with the registry  cheesy (i take no responsibility for what happens, but I have done this before)

Go to Start, then Run and paste the following line into the run box (it must all be in one line, though)

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

refer to the attached image below.

Method 3: You can also re-enable the registry using the Microsoft Group Policy Editor but that one na long thing  tongue

-----------------------------------------------------
After re-enabling the registry, then you can re-enable the task manager using any of the previously-mentioned methods. Then let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

Re: Device Manager Not Working by Nixo: 11:24pm On Dec 10, 2009
Thanks so so much it worked so fine kiss. I am so grateful and i feel like giving you a big hug right now wink. You are a genius and more power to your elbow cool
Re: Device Manager Not Working by mavenbox: 11:40pm On Dec 10, 2009
@Nixo: You are welcome. Glad it worked out fine. smiley But i think you need a good antivirus. I recomment ESET Smart Security or BitDefender (Norton is very good too, but it may be memory intensive). Cheers!
Re: Device Manager Not Working by Nixo: 12:08am On Dec 11, 2009
I am currently using ESET NOD32, is that not good enough? Do you still recommend ESET smart security?? and how and how can i get a non-trial version??
Re: Device Manager Not Working by mavenbox: 12:20am On Dec 11, 2009
If you are using NOD32, it is good, but then it is obvious to me that you haven't updated in a long while (which accounts for the virus), or maybe the virus had attacked the system before NOD32 was installed. NOD32 is very good, the only difference with Smart Security (which I use) is that the Smart Security has more firewall / antispam / internet and network protection options. NOD32 is an antivirus and a good one.

Non-trial? Sorry I can't help you there! sad You may have to purchase it, it's quite cheap (I saw your past posts about [i]organizing [/i]for people so I guess you won't have a problem purchasing a license! tongue)

http://esetng.com/partners/napartner.php and select your location

E.g. I chose Lagos, Nigeria and got this link of their resellers. Call em up for a price quotation?
http://esetng.com/partners/napartner.php?state=NIG_LA

Best regards
Re: Device Manager Not Working by Nixo: 1:06am On Dec 11, 2009
@Mav, Thank you so much for all your help wink. I will do just that when the world wakes, grin

(1) (Reply)

Social Media Habits And Lifestyle Survey 2011 / Very Clean Hp Elite Book 8450p For Sale / Dell E5410 Core I3 For Sale In Surulere Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.