Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,490 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. (26279 Views)

I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents / I Finally Had An Extra Year / Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Besto(m): 1:26pm On Feb 22, 2017
ionsman:
How can someone in year 3 already envisage an extra year....Na wa o...

You prolly never heard of perquisites.. Ryt from ending of yr1 sef.. Your course advicer will tell you that by mere seeing your grades because they are some courses you can't do ahead without passing the basics... Only the serious ones know and thighten up but unserious ones be like "shebi na just 1carry over I go write am next year"
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by KarlWhyte(m): 1:27pm On Feb 22, 2017
You are heartless!

modestofynest:
Madame nothing to advice u because u brought it on urself when u dey slay queen for social media dey pepper dem gang dey Insta gram, dey party dey sleep over for men house, u no remember say na school u dey now wey reality done dawn on u, u dey seek for advice now, abeg jooooor go face ur extra year u Wan graduate with 2.1 Naim u no serious from year one na year three u want make am 2.1 see lemme tell u the bases for a good result start from ur year one. U can't just jump from a cgpa of 1.89 to 3.50 just like that in year three it's not possible, expect u go dey Bleep ur exams and record for upgrade that's all
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Quam7even(m): 1:29pm On Feb 22, 2017
Rigby:
Am in my 3rd year in school Just found out am having an extra year. I fell like my world has crumbled like all my dreams in school gone . People keep telling me I can still make it to 2.1 if really work hard and believe. In addition to that i keep hearing stories about life outside school. Can't really say or believe cause haven't had that much experience outside school. The truth is am having this low self esteem cause, my gp is not encouraging.. The main issue here is I don't know how to tell my parent.......

OG no send anyone u can do dis...i met my babe in yr 2 second semester she ws on a 2.13...she had self esteem issues to..buh i told her to believe in herself nd we used to read ttogether nd she graduated with a strong 2:1...jus set ure priorities straight...lowkey u need to tell ure parents let dem scream cry beat or curse u...buh after it all dey go believe u die cz u owned up to ure mistakes on time...find good friends suck up to dose bookworms and mak use of ure time...am not sayin u shuld only do book cz me myself i kno its not possible (i used to saye and fagbo in skool as well as lodge wit my bae and i came out wit FC nd she wit 2:1)....jus do ure tin and believe in ursef...most importantly pray nd read smart...pq pq pq...#JahBlessUrHustle
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by babyfaceafrica: 1:33pm On Feb 22, 2017
Codyt:

Oversabi... Does it really matter how many courses he failed. tongue shocked undecided
yes
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by therapistmrs: 1:39pm On Feb 22, 2017
Don't feel bad about failing but just keep your head and work hard to get better grades.Most times when you realise your failures that leads to success.Many great people failed several times before achieving sucess. Secondly it's always better to tell your parents everything,they will not kill.They love you so much and just want you to succeed.
Wish you all the best.
therapistmrs..Com
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by silver94(m): 1:40pm On Feb 22, 2017
Op you already know that you will have an extra year in year 3. You are prepared. I have an extra year for failing one course in the first semester of my final year. My first carryover in my 5 years in school. Shey I go kill myself because of the woman rapper stupid lecturer? My guy life goes on

1 Like

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Stanleyrays(m): 1:42pm On Feb 22, 2017
babe it is nt d end, d end comes wen u accept defeat, brace put up a fight nd am sure u will av a good story 2 tell ur children.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 22, 2017
Heshei:
Hey! OP

Let me say I understand how you feel cos I have once been in that shoe....May I tell you my story that I had the most fulfilling experience during that Extra year ... mehn it wasn't funny at first but I made a decision to live while enjoying the moment. How? you ask... By Serving others.

I presented myself in such a way that when its was time for my colleagues to leave me behind, I added value to them before they left....Start adding value to lives around you as a preparation for the reality of life.

You are worth so much and should maximize every opportunity you get to serve others... What do you have that others will appreciate if they get it free from YOU? ... mine was my ability to help coursemates design flow charts which was a skill I learnt during IT.

You can never loose your esteem while serving others, you loose it when you try to impress and you fail.

The amazing thing is you still have a better chance than I do, My course, Mathematics made me to be searching for the value of "x" when we all know its either -1 , 1 or 0 but it can take you series of corrolary and theorems on 3 or 4 pages just to prove it ...Crazy isn't it.

I knew I had the skill to articulate words and make ppt presentation and deliver same ...

It was that skill that a masters student saw in me that decided to work with me on a project that later gave me an opportunity to impact the lives of young diamond's in the rough who are finding their paths into the system via PreDegree program.

The most shocking thing there is my overall CGPA even after the extra was less than 2.00 .... It was that bad....So you see you are better off.
#GiveThanks.

As if that was not enough, I didn't spend a whole month after my extras exam that I had an accident that Ade me bed ridden for a whole 3month due to multiple fractures from hip to leg.
This is a whole chapter and story for another day ... Orthopedic ward no easy but I survive mehn.
#Grace

So since I knew I never had a chance to compete as per Grades which was evident in all Job advertisement back then - reduced recently... I just give myself brain by furnishing my presentations skills from a reputable Government owned training institute ..National Broadcast Academy, where I gained more knowledge and received guidiance on how to maximize my voice, charisma and people skills.... which is evident in my current job as a Customer Service Executive and of which I am already even sending out CVs in order to embrace new challenges and widen my scope after almost a year resloving customers queries in a telecoms work space.

See, try and be grateful for every moment of life...no matter how bad it is.

The truth is life is better when you are on top as per career wise ...It quickens the journey with speed but mehn no two destiny paths Looks alike, you cant work another persons life path and expect to arrive at your destination... If for any reason that happens, you will always be an alternative to the original ... Live your own legacy.
Your experience will count for you cos it will toughen you up and help shapen your perspective to life.

You are the best and no class of degree can determine the outcome of your pursuit... It is your thought class and the richness of the values embedded in your mind that will help you to advance and exceed expectations.

I look forward to you coming back here to give an amazing story about your exploits during that extra year.

When is speak to you, My values don't reflect my Grade class, rather my thought class.

#MakeGodYourFriend - Let Holy spirit guide you always and always.
#TakeResponsibilty
#ServeOthersWithYourValues - Church/Fellowship /NGO is a good place to start.
#BePresentable - always look Good.
#SpeakPositiveAffirmationAlways - Get Lanre Olusholas Series, You will love it.
#BeYou - Identify downers around you and eliminate/ neutralize their influence.

You are a good person. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by holycuriousity(m): 1:47pm On Feb 22, 2017
.... baba calm down! !! Do the extra year well and gerrout! Tnk me later.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Adebowale89(m): 1:50pm On Feb 22, 2017
why are you talking like you don't have faith, op?

if God can change someone who has pass in a polytechnic to upper credit mistakenly that I dnt wnt to mention

who are you that God cannot do yours?
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 22, 2017
raph101:

I believe life should be taken more seriously than social media hypes and excesses. What our lives turns to be is duly a product of what we do and what we don't regularly. Well I wish the Op better luck.

Today's generation are going to find it difficult to focus or concentrate alot are too tuned to the social media, the social media for me is to expand my networking beyond my location. anyway sha we wish him all the best
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by wman(m): 1:58pm On Feb 22, 2017
Wow Rigby. I was in your shoes a few years ago.

Studied Engineering (5 year course). Found out I was having an extra year in my 3rd year.

How?

I failed 2 courses in the 2nd semester of my 3rd year. 4th year 2nd semester is for IT. Second semester of 5th year is choked up with courses. No space for extra courses.

Bear your burden like a man. I understand that pain when your peers are calculating their year of graduation and you know you won't graduate with them. The expectations of parents, relatives etc.

Yeah. It's terrible. You have a whole 2 years to think about it.

Passed the remaining courses. Finished the extra year.

Graduated.

Now serving. Now financially independent while still a youth corper.

Firstly, you need God. God is everything.

Secondly. It has happened to many people. They finished strongly.

Man up. Its nothing.

PS: No matter what, after the 5th year, let your parents know. It is better that way.

1 Like

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by frubben(m): 1:59pm On Feb 22, 2017
modestofynest:
Madame nothing to advice u because u brought it on urself when u dey slay queen for social media dey pepper dem gang dey Insta gram, dey party dey sleep over for men house, u no remember say na school u dey now wey reality done dawn on u, u dey seek for advice now, abeg jooooor go face ur extra year u Wan graduate with 2.1 Naim u no serious from year one na year three u want make am 2.1 see lemme tell u the bases for a good result start from ur year one. U can't just jump from a cgpa of 1.89 to 3.50 just like that in year three it's not possible, expect u go dey Bleep ur exams and record for upgrade that's all

I did not want to comment before but ur excellent write up made me, people are just telling her trash that she does nt need the result bla bla bla, babe u were in school for a reason, that's to achieve a good result, u are a disappointment. Na her parent I just dey pity for.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by coolsegun2002: 2:04pm On Feb 22, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
You are in second year and you are sure you will have extra year?...how come?.. Is the course not a four year course?

U must be one of those efficos that never have a carryover problem all tru their days is school. The number one, the OP said he's in year 3.
Number 2, Once you have too many carry overs in year 1,2 and 3 that when u even want to try and sit for all of them in part 4...the number of courses u can register in a semester has been exceeded..hence u need to push some till the following semester which is obviously a new session..
you know that's an automatic carry over even before u enter part 4

Public schools ain't like private u can easily do summer class to cover ur carryover courses.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Ranchhoddas: 2:05pm On Feb 22, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
You are in second year and you are sure you will have extra year?...how come?.. Is the course not a four year course?
Some departments have pre-requisite courses. Fail them and you get an extra year even if you score A in all your examinations. I believe that's what happened to the OP.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by scobaba: 2:05pm On Feb 22, 2017
Everybody be consoling you and telling you life is more than first class, 2.1 or 2.2.

yes they are right. Life is more than that. But its not an excuse to go to school waste your life and come back to say certificates dont matter.

for you to be having extra year wen you are just mid way thru shows you did not take your academics serious in your first two years. now whose fault is that?

You see students today sagging, playing upaandan smoking weed left and right, 17hrs a day on facebook, twitter and the rest, then when they have all wasted their parents hard earned money, they come up to say life outside is not by certificate. mtcheeeew.

Anyway now that you are sober, get your acts ryt. try and bend down your head and come out with better grades for the rest of the sessions and forget this talk of life is not by certficate. do what you have to do first, when you get to that point you will kmow if your certificate means something or not.

2 Likes

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by frubben(m): 2:06pm On Feb 22, 2017
So nobody can tell this babe the plain truth now. I read someone saying dere is God, for christ sake when others were busy burning mid night candle wat was she doing.

Wat is worth doing is worth doing well, if u decided to go to school, why not graduate with good result, u went dere to add another year to ur 5 years for God sake u mom and dad are expecting u to come out with good result, dats why dey labor day and night to make sure u are comfortable to read ur book. But instead u go dere go they do extra activities. I pity u.

1 Like

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Ranchhoddas: 2:11pm On Feb 22, 2017
Adebowale89:
why are you talking like you don't have faith, op?

if God can change someone who has pass in a polytechnic to upper credit mistakenly that I dnt wnt to mention

who are you that God cannot do yours?
You dey craze.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Ranchhoddas: 2:17pm On Feb 22, 2017
iamadonis2:
OP, come let me tell you something...
Ehem! You see my cgpa... e de read minus for hia... The school environment, particularly mine, does not encourage personal development; and I've stopped caring.

Personally, OP, I'll recommend you begin to explore your course of study on a practical basis on your own and chase other rewarding ventures. It's high we ditched the "automatic" life of school and be spontaneous.

With Love,
From a Brother with a worse-off cgpa
Lol. Which school be that?
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Adebowale89(m): 2:17pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
You dey craze.

may God let it reflect in your life immediately has u desire

uncultured nui sance
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Ranchhoddas: 2:19pm On Feb 22, 2017
Adebowale89:

may God let it reflect in your life immediately has u desire
Shatap. Religious mumu. God go help am change grade. Ode.com
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by mccoy47(m): 2:23pm On Feb 22, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
As a student of industrial chemistry in FUTO(5yr course) if u fail CHM101 (Yr1 1st semester course). Be rest assured of an extra yr!
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Adebowale89(m): 2:26pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Shatap. Religious mumu. God go help am change grade. Ode.com

God works in a miraculous way I'm a living witness. you living today isn't that you're better than those that have lost their life

one prayer: may God functions cease to exist in your body. if you're atheist shouldn't affect your manner of approaches. stop digging your grave before your time

I didn't quote u earlier, or do we ve to beg se.un to be asking u uncultured elements psychiatric report before accepting your register here?
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by mccoy47(m): 2:26pm On Feb 22, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
As a student of industrial chemistry in FUTO(5yr course) if u fail CHM101 (Yr1 1st semester course). Be rest assured of an extra yr!
Because passing CHM101 is a prerequisite for even writing CHM 201 & CHM 203..
Also passing CHM 201 is a prerequisite for writing CHM311 & CHM 315.. so u now see how failing just 1 course could ruin someone?
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Ranchhoddas: 2:38pm On Feb 22, 2017
Adebowale89:

God works in a miraculous way I'm a living witness. you living today isn't that you're better than those that have lost their life

one prayer: may God functions cease to exist in your body. if you're atheist shouldn't affect your manner of approaches. stop digging your grave before your time

I didn't quote u earlier, or do we ve to beg se.un to be asking u uncultured elements psychiatric report before accepting your register here?
See your signature; bloody tribalist telling me about God. You be confirm didirin.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by holluphemydavid(m): 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2017
inferiority complex
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Adebowale89(m): 2:47pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
See your signature; bloody tribalist telling me about God. You be confirm didirin.

you're the didirin here if you take the signature serious

even flattie, afonja aboki people say here was just sarcasm. don't u kid see how we defend ourselves when other countries crucify us. its just fun of it, so how does social cohere with spiritual

it shows you're a kid, you need to ve standard critics, I wlc dt than this abusive and uncalled for childish statement. because I'm religious doesn't shake my stand as a human, I'm a man first before religion

don't kill yourself over what I believe in coz am less concern on what u believe in. cry no more baby
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by babyfaceafrica: 2:47pm On Feb 22, 2017
coolsegun2002:

U must be one of those efficos that never have a carryover problem all tru their days is school. The number one, the OP said he's in year 3.
Number 2, Once you have too many carry overs in year 1,2 and 3 that when u even want to try and sit for all of them in part 4...the number of courses u can register in a semester has been exceeded..hence u need to push some till the following semester which is obviously a new session..
you know that's an automatic carry over even before u enter part 4

Public schools ain't like private u can easily do summer class to cover ur carryover courses.
went to federal public school..had three fs and still made 3.80..all these things depends on how you manage courses
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by chiefojiji(m): 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2017
congratulations bro!

work hard not to have extraordinary extra!

in my school, if u will have extra year, u wud have known from your 3rd year 2nd semester, cus by 4th year 2nd semester, you won't be in school (on I.T), so carrying many babies in ur 3rd year 2nd semester, it will give more stress on ur 5th year 2nd semester which u will have no option dan to drop some. Kpele once again! I know how u dey feel bro. I overcame mine. u can't die.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by shumuel(m): 2:49pm On Feb 22, 2017
Rigby:
Am in my 3rd year in school Just found out am having an extra year. I fell like my world has crumbled like all my dreams in school gone . People keep telling me I can still make it to 2.1 if really work hard and believe. In addition to that i keep hearing stories about life outside school. Can't really say or believe cause haven't had that much experience outside school. The truth is am having this low self esteem cause, my gp is not encouraging.. The main issue here is I don't know how to tell my parent.......

Look on the bright side bro, you are not the first and surely would not be the last.

Have it in mind that that cert. you are aiming for does not guaranty you a job after graduation as most of us are hanging our certs. on the wall and had veture into one business or the other, having said that make sure you are into a business, the school environment is one of the best market area in the country make good use of it and make sure you read better this time around for that course.

Have a good day grin

1 Like

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 22, 2017
Rigby:

An extra year is not the end of the world, I have seen and known people who went on to become huge success after dealing with an extra year. You really need to change your conviction about life, out here it's very different, the criteria for measuring success and achievement is not university grades but what you go on to do with the knowledge acquired.

Why not see yourself as Albert Einstein (he spent a few months longer the the usual 9months in his mother's womb) and went on to have a brain far more developed than most humans ever. See your extra year as more gestation period for you to become more seasoned than your peers when you eventually come through.

Lastly I want you to start preparing seriously for life after school, do you have any real skills or handiwork you can rely on post graduation, if there's no job readily available? If you don't yet, this is the time you make sure you do, where do you see yourself in 5years after graduation? If you can't answer this question in your heart yet, your extra year is the time you make sure you do. You know what extra time in football is for right?
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Ximenez(m): 2:59pm On Feb 22, 2017
Krystalzkris:
you dey year three and you are already sure of getting extra year... I dont know what to tell you... No use crying.. Just face it
It depends on the school, some courses are prerequisite to others. If you fail one, you will be ineligible to take the other until you retake and pass that one. Some people can even be sure of two extra years in their 300 level. It's common in faculty of sciences and faculty of science.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right / UNILAG POST UTME 2010 / Uniport Students Protest: Live Feeds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.