Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. (26343 Views)

I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents / I Finally Had An Extra Year / Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by darkenkach(m): 12:11pm On Feb 22, 2017
Extra year and you are complaining? Get busy jhoor. Most of my class are yet to graduate yet they are already making it big.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 22, 2017
Sorry
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Tokziby: 12:12pm On Feb 22, 2017
Just tell ur parent and go for the extra year. Having an extra year has nothing to do with ur future. There are first class and masters degrees student in the labour market talkless of 2:1. Stop thinking about how to get a job with a 2:2 or 3rd class. Start thinking about how u will make the best of ur life. Not many people know the reason for education, they only think its about going to school and getting a job. However, its about training ur brain to think outside the box and making a way for ur daily bread. You absolutely do not need school certificate to be successful in life. majority of the most successful people in this life can hardly boast of a degree certificate. What should be ur priority now should be completing ur education as well as learning a sustainable trade or business that will continually put food on ur table, a good shelter and a befitting outfit. Forget what ur friends will say, its not about how far or how fast but how well u are able to stand tall above everyone. Graduating before u does not mean they will become successful. Always take a set back in life as a blessings because it reset ur brain and make u check ur steps to know where u went wrong so as to correct future occurrence and gives u motivation & focus to excel in life. Best of luck in your future endeavors
cheers! wink

2 Likes

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 22, 2017
Let me be blunt. Getting a 2-2 would be an herculean task now, not to talk of a 2-1.

About your parents, man up and tell them, they financed your education.

There are lots of challenges ahead and you would be defined by how you handle them.

Dig deep for the inner fortitude and survive. It's not the end of the world. Double your efforts.

GODSPEED!
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by chiefolododo(m): 12:13pm On Feb 22, 2017
It is painful . Take heart
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Snowstorm: 12:14pm On Feb 22, 2017
dingbang:
2.1 or 1st class is not a criteria for u to be successful in life... Pls dump dat mentality and do what u gotta do instead of killing urself with stress.. .
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Feb 22, 2017
Most of you bring this upon yourself. You easily forget the reason you're in school and get distracted.

Just do your best, God will see you through.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by ChubbychummyICE(f): 12:18pm On Feb 22, 2017
Dear op, major thing is u need to build up ur self esteem, believe u can make it, work hard, read nd study well, pray bou it, start nw choosing better friends, ones DAT wud pull u up, rada Dan those DAT wud bring u down, u started bad doesn't mean u wud end bad, tho smhw ur lecturers are already looking down on u, nd wud easily HV u poor grades, prove dem wrong, if u do, u wud still face another challenge, they wud focus on u wen ur writing exams to know if it's u, or people teaching u, prove dem wrong again. Look for a lecturer to confide in nd tell ur grade to calculate for u what it wud take u to b on top nd make sure u do so, if at d end u didn't get ur target, it really doesn't matter, u know u did ur best. Good luck dear.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 22, 2017
OP, come let me tell you something...
Ehem! You see my cgpa... e de read minus for hia... The school environment, particularly mine, does not encourage personal development; and I've stopped caring.

Personally, OP, I'll recommend you begin to explore your course of study on a practical basis on your own and chase other rewarding ventures. It's high we ditched the "automatic" life of school and be spontaneous.

With Love,
From a Brother with a worse-off cgpa

2 Likes

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by yungmill(m): 12:19pm On Feb 22, 2017
Bro whether 2.1,2.2 or third class it truly doesn't matter, yes making them is good but they do not affect the realites of life, all I can say if get practical knowledge of applicable things in life make yourself an all rounder don't be limited.
Trust me there is a whole different world out there that a 2.1 can't help you navigate through if you do not setup yourself for them

As regards to an extra year bro as long as you gave it your all it doesn't matter. It doesn't mean those who will grag b4 you will make it over you in life, heck I remember when I didn't get admission after my first jamb some friends mocked me but at the tail end I finished and passed out of nysc b4 dem, so my bro a little bump in life is not the end, PICK YOURSELF UP

PASSING EXAMS AND MAKING FIRST CLASS IS NOT THE TRUE TEST OF KNOWLEDGE, ITS APPLYING THE SAID KNOWLEDGE TO PRACTICAL USE AND SOLVING DAILY MATTERS THAT COUNT

SHALOM

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by maxtrontips: 12:20pm On Feb 22, 2017
Rigby:
Am in my 3rd year in school Just found out am having an extra year. I fell like my world has crumbled like all my dreams in school gone . People keep telling me I can still make it to 2.1 if really work hard and believe. In addition to that i keep hearing stories about life outside school. Can't really say or believe cause haven't had that much experience outside school. The truth is am having this low self esteem cause, my gp is not encouraging.. The main issue here is I don't know how to tell my parent.......

Talk to psychologist 08160613745
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by MMMscam: 12:21pm On Feb 22, 2017
Rigby:
Am in my 3rd year in school Just found out am having an extra year. I fell like my world has crumbled like all my dreams in school gone . People keep telling me I can still make it to 2.1 if really work hard and believe. In addition to that i keep hearing stories about life outside school. Can't really say or believe cause haven't had that much experience outside school. The truth is am having this low self esteem cause, my gp is not encouraging.. The main issue here is I don't know how to tell my parent.......

Having an extra year is not the problem. Your not-encouraging CGPA is your problem. Time to focus on your studies and leave those university sluts alone. They can always fxck the lecturers for good grades, but YOU CAN'T.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by uniquealdehyde(m): 12:24pm On Feb 22, 2017
having an extra year doesn't measure where you will be and how you will there. this is just an opportunity to make everything work better. I have an extra year like yourself not because I failed but because I felt sick and couldn't write my exams and when my friends were leaving for service I felt like that was the end of it all but I later came to the realisation that it was an opportunity to make everything work better for me. I will be writing the final exam now starting Monday. so just summon up courage and tell your parents about it just will be of great help to your self
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by ichommy(m): 12:28pm On Feb 22, 2017
dingbang:
2.1 or 1st class is not a criteria for u to be successful in life... Pls dump dat mentality and do what u gotta do instead of killing urself with stress.. .

You Made My Day Brother.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Folksyharry(m): 12:29pm On Feb 22, 2017
You got some wonderful advice already. I know people that I graduated with doing even better than me now because they acquired some skills when we were in school. If you are in an engineering department you can think of an area (vocational based) you really love and use your spare time to learn and ensure you are really good at it. There are also computer skills you can acquire. IT is the now and the future so it will be a good idea to acquire IT skills too.
About the self esteem, don't ever see yourself as worthless. Read books and you will find the stories of people who became great after they made up their mind to get out of their shell
You did not tell us why you have to spend one extra year but you will need to tell your parents. If you can't tell them yourself find someone you know your parents listen to so that people will be able to pacify them when they hear the news. But I will strongly advice you to tell them yourself because it will help you overcome some of the fears you usually have.

Stay strong and happy

1 Like

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by raph101(m): 12:30pm On Feb 22, 2017
Chai... Nigerians can seem to act like they care. Bringing Ur plight to social media is a share waste of time and shows Ur level of addiction to it. Simply get to meet a counseling officer and get talking with people that really care. No problem last forever
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 12:31pm On Feb 22, 2017
Rigby:

School is school it doesn't determine what you will be in life. Life outside school is more than GPA its about what you can offer to a company.

1 Like

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 12:31pm On Feb 22, 2017
U Won My Heart...
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 22, 2017
raph101:
Chai... Nigerians can seem to act like they care. Bringing Ur plight to social media is a share waste of time and shows Ur level of addiction to it. Simply get to meet a counseling officer and get talking with people that really care. No problem last forever

Its easier to understand life via peoples experience here than a therapist. I felt like that in school except I kept reading my computer books and programming despite failing my business admin course
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 22, 2017
Rigby:
Who told you that you will have an extra year in school when you are still in your 3rd year? and you say you are doing a 5years course

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Culin(f): 12:35pm On Feb 22, 2017
Coming from someone who has fought and won over same thing you're going through, you'll survive. But you have to tell your parents. You'll have your peace and concentration won't be an issue.

2 Likes

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 22, 2017
modestofynest:
Madame nothing to advice u because u brought it on urself when u dey slay queen for social media dey pepper dem gang dey Insta gram, dey party dey sleep over for men house, u no remember say na school u dey now wey reality done dawn on u, u dey seek for advice now, abeg jooooor go face ur extra year u Wan graduate with 2.1 Naim u no serious from year one na year three u want make am 2.1 see lemme tell u the bases for a good result start from ur year one. U can't just jump from a cgpa of 1.89 to 3.50 just like that in year three it's not possible, expect u go dey Bleep ur exams and record for upgrade that's all
And who are you to judge her?
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Culin(f): 12:37pm On Feb 22, 2017
ToriBlue:
Who told you that you will have an extra year in school when you are still in your 3rd year? and you say you are doing a 5years course

There are departments that are very strict with prerequisites courses. Some People studying vet medicine already know they'll spill from their 2nd year.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by SmellingAnus(m): 12:41pm On Feb 22, 2017
Rigby:
soon you will come to realize that it's not always about those that finished earlier or went to youth service before you... Life is a huge mystery... Don't spend your time in sadness if not, you may not even make it out of school... Try to be positive even when it's not easy... Tell your parents about it, it's not a crime to fail , just don't give up...there are already too many in employed graduates even with a good certificate... Some of those employed are already losing their jobs... It's just a phase that will pass for good and it will be part of your testimonies
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Feb 22, 2017
What of people wey no get admission? I graduated with a 3rd class and earning salary that 2'1s will dream of. Oga be thankful and keep your head up! Tony Elumelu, Gani Fawehinmi,and many others didnt top their class but you know their story.

1 Like

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by eph12(m): 12:43pm On Feb 22, 2017
Just tell them you have missing results. Simple
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by raph101(m): 12:45pm On Feb 22, 2017
pcguru1:

Its easier to understand life via peoples experience here than a therapist. I felt like that in school except I kept reading my computer books and programming despite failing my business admin course

I believe life should be taken more seriously than social media hypes and excesses. What our lives turns to be is duly a product of what we do and what we don't regularly. Well I wish the Op better luck.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Lush100(m): 12:48pm On Feb 22, 2017
Sir, the sky is still your limit and i can not see anything hindering u whether u have an extra year or not as far as u know it was with your brain u went for your school exams.

a friend of mine had a similar experience , if i tell u his position and what he is earning now, ....
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by zlantanfan: 12:58pm On Feb 22, 2017
Rigby:
it means you are at least in 2.2, just try and maintain second class grade and focus on avoiding any further fail.
don't tell ur parents cos they won't be happy that attitude from them can upset your balance.
just try and be balanced and avoid looking at the problem cos u need enough mental strength to carry u.
avoid friends that reminds u of the problem, try and go to church more often to get encouragement.
if you must talk to people about this let it be your pastor or very close ones. not parents so you can ease the pressure.
don't start narrating yourelf cos it makes people start gossiping about you.
Try not to get it isolated cos it would quench you.
Ease it up when that feeling is coming upon you maybe go watch a match or log in to nairaland to view topics.

Try to always look back at people u better than cos it could have been worst.
look back at the successes you have gathered and have the conviction that what brought you this far can see you through.

I tell you there is nothing that begins that has no end.

After graduation u must have made a second class, that would be enough encouragement for your parents at that time. if it's only a year it requires to clear the spill it would be understandable.

But you need to practice all these to limit the situation.

surely u always have multitude of those you better than.

2 Likes

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Codyt(m): 1:21pm On Feb 22, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
how many courses did you fail?
Oversabi... Does it really matter how many courses he failed. tongue shocked undecided

2 Likes

Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by just4obitex(m): 1:21pm On Feb 22, 2017
modestofynest:
Madame nothing to advice u because u brought it on urself when u dey slay queen for social media dey pepper dem gang dey Insta gram, dey party dey sleep over for men house, u no remember say na school u dey now wey reality done dawn on u, u dey seek for advice now, abeg jooooor go face ur extra year u Wan graduate with 2.1 Na
im u no serious from year one na year three u want make am 2.1 see lemme tell u the bases for a good result start from ur year one. U can't just jump from a cgpa of 1.89 to 3.50 just like that in year three it's not possible, expect u go dey Bleep ur exams and record for upgrade that's all
my friend if u don't know what to type, stfup.
Re: Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. by Codyt(m): 1:25pm On Feb 22, 2017
modestofynest:
Madame nothing to advice u because u brought it on urself when u dey slay queen for social media dey pepper dem gang dey Insta gram, dey party dey sleep over for men house, u no remember say na school u dey now wey reality done dawn on u, u dey seek for advice now, abeg jooooor go face ur extra year u Wan graduate with 2.1 Naim u no serious from year one na year three u want make am 2.1 see lemme tell u the bases for a good result start from ur year one. U can't just jump from a cgpa of 1.89 to 3.50 just like that in year three it's not possible, expect u go dey Bleep ur exams and record for upgrade that's all
~~~>Common sense... You do not possess it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share / OAU Students Seen Sleeping On The Ground / Ssanu FUNAAB Celebrates VC's Birthday With Bread And Coke (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.