Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,607 members, 7,823,639 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria (2320 Views)

Moving Back To Nigeria After The Lockdown / Moving Back To Nigeria From USA / 5 Interesting Things About South Africa Most People Don’t Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria by reviewnaija: 11:38pm On Feb 22, 2017
Let me guess. You visited Naij this past Christmas and had a blast so you think you want to move back to Nigeria? Or, you saw all your friends snaps and felt major FOMO. Now you’re thinking “mmm, should I move back to Nigeria?”

Naij definitely has its ups and downs. Here are my 10 worst things about moving back to Nigeria...

My 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria!

1. Dealing with Mediocrity

I know we can't all be beyonce but we accept and even welcome mediocrity in Nigeria. If you’re someone who is used to striving for excellence or you’re all about continuous improvement, then you may find Naij to be super frustrating.

2. Nigerians Don’t Ask Questions

I hate to generalize but I’m finding that Nigerians don’t like to ask questions. The other day someone on Instagram actually suggested that someone else should just “follow instructions” when given (see here for details). If you’re not sure of something, what's wrong with asking to confirm?

3. Driving

Mehn, it’s like everyone on the road is a mad man or woman. The concept of “right of way” does not exist here oh! I always appreciate folks who drive as a profession in Nigeria because that ish is not easy!

4. Living in Bubbles

If you live in certain areas (e.g. Lekki Phase 1 in Lagos), you’re living in a mighty bubble with your cafes, laundromats, cinemas and good internet to watch salt bae! Make the mistake to visit get posted to somewhere like Asaya in Kogi state and you’d start to question whether you’re still in the same country!

5. Security

This one is a no brainer. Unfortunately, you're not fighting off any robbers like in the gif above. Just as recently as Dec 2016, a friend of mine got robbed. Yup, armed robbers went into his family house and they stole everything they could. Luckily, no one was hurt. Will these robbers be found? Very unlikely.

6. Minimal Late Night Activities

I’m that person that’d sit at home all day, shower at 6pm and start heading to the mall by 7:00pm. Then, I’d grab groceries by 10pm, and hit the gym or chick-fil-a or dunkin by 11:30pm. Well, this lifestyle is not sustainable in Lagos. And then, with the security wahala, who really wants to be leaving their house to look for donuts and milkshakes at 11pm? Yeah, good luck with that!

7. POS Not Working

Over the years I’ve gotten used to not carrying cash around. Why? Because if I have it, I spend it. In Naija, you must have cash! Just 2 days ago, I happened to be in the VI area and decided to checkout a highly recommended shawarma spot for an upcoming ReviewNaija post (stay tuned). Ordered the shawarma (cost N1400) and tried to pay with my debit card but no success. Went to a nearby ATM to grab cash and no success. Some good samaritan even offered to pay for me, but guess what? NO SUCCESS!

8. NYSC

If you move back to Nigeria, you’re “supposed” to knock out NYSC before getting a job. I’ve read folks experiences at Delta Camp, Lagos Camp, Kwara Camp, Ogun Camp, etc., but it’s one thing to read someone’s experience vs. go through your own experience. There was a freaking 2 week old baby at camp the day I registered….like why is that even necessary?!?

9. Poor Drainage

Just the other day, tintily rain poured and the gutters were overflowing! I felt so bad for my tiny car having to swim through the roads. I can only imagine what it’s like during the rainy season. If you’re planning to move back to Nigeria, brace yourself and save up for an SUV!

10. Lack of Constant Electricity

I’m sure you were waiting like “ahn ahn, this one didn’t complain about the light”. Here, I must admit that I’m fortunate. The light situation in my house is not bad at all. Between the phcn light, inverter and generator, I’m actually pretty content with the electricity situation at home. However, my parents have started hinting that I should be contributing to the diesel fund to keep the generator running. Regardless, super grateful…thanks mum & dad!

Final Thoughts

Like I mentioned earlier, everyone will have different experiences moving back to Nigeria, although there may be some similarities here and there. Some people move back to Nigeria and hate it so much that they return to wherever they came from. Ultimately, Nigeria is not for the faint-hearted; you either move back and tell yourself you have no choice but to make it work or you move back to see how things go. You’re more like to stay if you stick with the former mindset.

I’d love to hear from you guys. Use the comments section to share your worst things about making the move back to Nigeria!

https://www.reviewnaija.com/move-back-to-nigeria-10-worst-things/

2 Likes

Re: 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria by DivinelyBlessed: 11:42pm On Feb 22, 2017
Bros, Naija get many many problems pass those ones oh.

Stay where you are... I repeat STAY WHERE YOU ARE.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria by engrMikemd(m): 11:52pm On Feb 22, 2017
Well, no place like home

1 Like

Re: 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria by reviewnaija: 11:53pm On Feb 22, 2017
DivinelyBlessed:

cheesy I don already come back oh! Too late. Butttt e be like say I go return...soonest!

3 Likes

Re: 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria by reviewnaija: 11:54pm On Feb 22, 2017
engrMikemd:
Well, no place like home

Yes, but this home is very tough. No president now sef...na life be this?!??

1 Like

Re: 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria by engrMikemd(m): 11:56pm On Feb 22, 2017
engrMikemd:
Well, no place like home
as if Dem no know dat b4 Dem comot

lubish
Re: 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria by Eastwalk(m): 9:04am On Feb 23, 2017
Now i call this rubbish and gibberish
Re: 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 23, 2017
DivinelyBlessed:

LOLz. grin
Re: 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 10:36pm On Mar 26, 2017
Anybody moving to Nigeria now is doing himself o

1 Like

Re: 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria by Greatidonis: 7:46am On Dec 12, 2017
Naija Naija ooh Naija, Its for the strong and not for the faint hearted. Each time I visited outside for even one week come back I go just weak again. I pity my kids knowing that they grow up in hell hole.
Re: 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 9:55am On Jan 20, 2020
Eventually you adapt.

(1) (Reply)

‎beach Resort Estate Lekki / Beholding The Face Of Abeokuta’s Unfolding Commercial Attraction / Is It Hard For Foreigners To Get A Nigeria Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.