Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,086 members, 7,957,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:10 AM

Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important (3604 Views)

Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character / DEBATE: Mother And Father Who Is More Important In The Family And Why ? / A Nairalander's Traditional & Church Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by ehie007(m): 1:52pm On Jan 18, 2007
Guys and ladies a lot of nigerians believe that traditional wedding is more important than the church wedding.
but am having a lillte doubt,
they believe the church wedding is just a formality.

e.g my parents didnt do church wedding when they got married they only did traditional wedding until after several years b4 they went to church to do the white one.

but i think as an african traditional wedding is more important.(am sure the igbo's and yoruba's will support me on this one[color=#990000][/color])

what do u think guys.
Re: Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by frankiriri(m): 10:43pm On Jan 25, 2007
I beleive that the traditional marraige is more important. if I were to do only one of them I would go for the traditional ceremony. In fact if i have my way I will just do a registry thing and then an elaborate trad.
Re: Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by Busta(f): 5:15am On Jan 26, 2007
Church is

vowed to cherish each other btw men and God
That's if u're a xtian.
Re: Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by Flodel(f): 9:39am On Jan 26, 2007
@busta where in the bible was a church marriage conducted? u know Jesus attended a marriage ceremony at canaan where He changed water 2 wine. that was traditional marriage

1 Like

Re: Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by NiteAngel(m): 11:49am On Jan 26, 2007
I'd rather have my spouse vow before God and me to love me forever and keep it that way than for him/her to drag church or tradition in the mud by going contrary to the vows.

I prefer church or court simply because you are likely to read same vows. Shouldn't it be same vows no matter where you're getting married? Not one person saying "obey" and the other person saying "love", you get what I mean.

As much as I love tradition, I dislike the veiling and I don't appreciate the kneeling. My spouse is my friend not some god I should pay homage to, Some do that and the next morning the man is doing the kneeling.
Re: Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by yankidelta(m): 11:54am On Jan 26, 2007
of course it's traditional marriage because both families most be aware and approve of the marriage and finally God is called upon to consumate d marriage, having said that i think d white wedding is just done to keep up with social trends.if am to list types of wedding in order of priority it will go like this:

TRADITIONAL
COURT
WHITE grin
Re: Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by Amjiving: 2:08pm On Jan 26, 2007
I think the trad is more important.

of course it's traditional marriage because both families most be aware and approve of the marriage and finally God is called upon to consumate d marriage, having said that i think d white wedding is just done to keep up with social trends.if am to list types of wedding in order of priority it will go like this:

TRADITIONAL
COURT
WHITE

Taking the debate a step further lets consider the consequences (i,e the legal status of each type)
ihave heard that the one you conduct first is the one that is considered paramount. That is if you do the trad then it is the customary rules that will govern the wedding.
(Are there any lawyers in the house that can shed light on this.). If that is true then I think the correct sequence will be registry/court , then trad and then church
Re: Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by Busta(f): 2:41pm On Jan 26, 2007
Flodel:

@busta where in the bible was a church marriage conducted? u know Jesus attended a marriage ceremony at canaan where He changed water 2 wine. that was traditional marriage
that is up to you to figure out and me, to await your reply
Re: Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by Ndipe(m): 6:12am On Feb 04, 2007
I am always surprised to read/hear of women preferring the traditional marriage over the Church wedding. Why I am surprised is that our traditional society, would permit the man to take in a new wife, thus creating a polygamous family, WHEREAS, in the Church, after the vow has been made, and the pastor pronounces you and your spouse, husband and wife, that's it. You cant take in a second wife, or if you do, it wont be recognized in the Church. Still, we all have choices. As for me, I would go with the Church wedding.

Some of our traditional rituals, like libation, and paying respects to the dead, sometimes conducted at traditional marriages are stuff that I dont particularly care for.
Re: Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by solo2(m): 5:28pm On Feb 10, 2007
Gentlemen, do not confuse issues, it better to know now that traditional marriage is an african tradition and church wedding is an english tradition. so as an african traditional marriage is more important, before you will copy some one's tradition. How you ever seen an english man perfomming a traditional  african marriage ?.
Re: Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by PTBNaija(f): 10:48pm On Feb 10, 2007
I think traditional is more important, but I plan on having both! :-)
Re: Traditional Wedding And White/church Wedding Which Is More Important by Radiant(f): 12:22am On Feb 11, 2007
Amjiving:

COURT
WHITE

That's the way forward! wink

(1) (Reply)

Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? / Contiguous Smell Of Female Pussy / Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.