Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,241 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ (21890 Views)

Naira Gains On Better Than Expected Economic Growth / Naira Improves On Parallel Market, Sells At N501/$ / Naira Maintains Gain On Parallel Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by bellenornor(f): 8:12am On Feb 25, 2017
Truth234:

There is nothing like flooding the market with dollars, you just need to understand how the CBN works. Currently, the institution is generating about $2.4 billion-$2.8 billion in forex a month, and since this new policy was introduced a total of $610 million ($370+$240) has been auctioned.

Meaning, the CBN is saving more than its spending, and don't forget our output is near all time low 1.6mbpd but once the trans forcado pipeline is open by the second quarter, we should be able to up our production to about 1.8mbpd-1.9mbpd and increase our revenue generation even more.

Once the manufacturers can access forex at a moderate rate, the consumer prices (inflation rate) will cool and job creation will increase. So will consumer spending and gradually the economy will once again come alive. There is no point saving all the money while the economy dies of scarcity.
Big big grammar..
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by Nobody: 8:12am On Feb 25, 2017
seunmsg:

It is not a matter of Buhari or Osinbajo. CBN is simply flooding the market with dollars and naturally, the market will respond to the laws of demand and supply.

With this policy, we are back to the era of throwing our forex around to defend the naira so, it is nothing new or magical. The down side is that CBN may likely stop building the reserve in order to sustain this policy and any slight drop in crude production, sustainability will become an issue.
Exactly, I do not like the subsidy on Naira. We use our forex largely to satisfy our appetite for foreign products.

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by opribo(m): 8:17am On Feb 25, 2017
It's been a downward trend for the forex since prof took over. A testimony that he is doing something right. To hell with the cattle tester president.
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by alizma: 8:18am On Feb 25, 2017
Truth234:

There is nothing like flooding the market with dollars, you just need to understand how the CBN works. Currently, the institution is generating about $2.4 billion-$2.8 billion in forex a month, and since this new policy was introduced a total of $610 million ($370+$240) has been auctioned.

Meaning, the CBN is saving more than its spending, and don't forget our output is near all time low 1.6mbpd but once the trans forcado pipeline is open by the second quarter, we should be able to up our production to about 1.8mbpd-1.9mbpd and increase our revenue generation even more.

Once the manufacturers can access forex at a moderate rate, the consumer prices (inflation rate) will cool and job creation will increase. So will consumer spending and gradually the economy will once again come alive. There is no point saving all the money while the economy dies of scarcity.
Oga the whole thing started with the oil cut deal by OPEC which push the price of crude oil up to mid $50 pb, then the relative peace in Niger delta, down to increase in reserve. as for output per day, we are already pumping 1.9bpd.
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by tishbite41(m): 8:19am On Feb 25, 2017
Dis Buhari na badluck true true

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by Bevista: 8:20am On Feb 25, 2017
Truth234:

Your first paragraph gives the impression that the CBN is only spending about $600m from $2.8b. Kindly note that prior to the new policy, the apex bank was already spending a lot to fund critical sectors of the economy like fuel imports, equipment & machinery for agriculture and manufacturing, raw materials for critical sectors, military hardware, etc. So you see, when you add this new monthly spend to the existing spending, then the NET balance left for the Reserves might not be that much.
---
Secondly, considering that monthly FAAC sharing is less than N500b (about $1.5b), I'm curious to know whether, indeed, the country gets as much as $2.8b from crude oil sales.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by Firstcitizen: 8:21am On Feb 25, 2017
Truth234:

Foreign exchange research analyst

Nigerians! grin grin grin smh
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by MutantMetahuman: 8:22am On Feb 25, 2017
gowaga68:
It surely will as fear is into the market now.
yes
The dollar horders are also rushing to market to sell. Awon werey.

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by powerfulsettingz: 8:22am On Feb 25, 2017
alfredfrddy:

Are you talking about the prodigal president?
According to the source
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by Nobody: 8:23am On Feb 25, 2017
This morning

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by nwabobo: 8:25am On Feb 25, 2017
seunmsg:
I hope they can sustain this policy of flooding the market with forex. A little fall in the price of crude oil or drop in crude production as a result of renewed violence and we will be back to square one.

Where will the supply to sustain the momentum come from? Even at $100 per barrel of oil, it can't be sustained.

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by agarawu23(m): 8:25am On Feb 25, 2017
Lalasticlala, update the topic, $-# is presently 460/$
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by AlphaStyles(m): 8:26am On Feb 25, 2017
o my
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by Emassive(m): 8:29am On Feb 25, 2017
I think this is the best time to enjoy Nairaland. What a meaningful and insightful argument. Am learning some things here.

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by mars123(m): 8:29am On Feb 25, 2017
seunmsg:

My initial post was to address some people who are erroneously attributing the success of the policy to the acting president.

And yes, CBN is flooding the market with dollars right now because they have the means. As at this time last year with foreign reserve at around $25billion and crude production at an all time low coupled with the price of crude then, they couldn't have rolled out this type of policy.

The simple summary is that, we are now earning more forex due to the sustained price of crude oil at over $50 and the steady rise in production due to ongoing peace negotiation. If these two variables decline sharply, we will be back to square one again. So, those who are concerned about the sustainability of this policy are not wrong because CBN does not control these two variables.
You are saying people shouldn't attribute the success to the acting president and you're also saying peace negotiations in the ND is responsible for increase in oil production. But you're forgetting that the VP is the one currently leading peace talks over there. Can't you see how wrong you are when you say the vice president shouldn't get some well deserved credit.

5 Likes

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by kolaaderin: 8:31am On Feb 25, 2017
Truth234:

Lol.. Me of course, sarrki source quoted CBN stipulated BDC's rate. It doesn't really change.

Whereas, this is about the parallel market, the segment that is eating us all up, and the CBN efforts at ensuring there is enough forex liquidity for all.

Good Morning unclezuma.

It has changed a lot, tried to change the little hundreds of dollar $500 on me yesterday Friday and be hold those mallams got no chill, I was offered N400 at federal Palace Hotel with warning that by Monday it might be selling at N350. I could not hold my anger because I will be losing about 100k from the
Money which I should have changed last week.
Drove angrily out of the compound straight to Eko hotel hence the same horror music to my hear and it was done on me I have kept this for a bit too long. Called a colleague who deals in forex more regular if he could get me a deal from his numerous abokis and at last he told me to go to Ikoyi southern sun hotel where the aboki offers N430 believe me I droped the dollar and ran out of the place before the mallam go they speak in aliens language too. He also said by Tuesday the money is crashing more.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by natznext(m): 8:32am On Feb 25, 2017
seunmsg:

It is not a matter of Buhari or Osinbajo. CBN is simply flooding the market with dollars and naturally, the market will respond to the laws of demand and supply.

With this policy, we are back to the era of throwing our forex around to defend the naira so, it is nothing new or magical. The down side is that CBN may likely stop building the reserve in order to sustain this policy and any slight drop in crude production, sustainability will become an issue.

PMB no sabi weytin be diplomacy, He go soon come back come dey rattle everything up. Hence crude production may drop n....

2 Likes

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by Nobody: 8:33am On Feb 25, 2017
author=kolaaderin post=54037929]

That's correct at the rate we dumping Petrodollars into the market without a strong influx God Help Us All.
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by 989900: 8:33am On Feb 25, 2017
kolaaderin:

It has changed a lot, tried to change the little hundreds of dollar $500 on me yesterday Friday and be hold those mallams got no chill, I was offered N400 at federal Palace Hotel with warning that by Monday it might be selling at N350. I could not hold my anger because I will be losing about 100k from the
Drove angrily out of the compound straight to Eko hotel hence the same horror music to my hear and it was done on me I have kept this for a bit too long. Called a colleague who deals in forex more regular if he could get me a deal from his numerous abokis and at last he told me to go to Ikoyi southern sun hotel where the aboki offers N430 believe me I droped the dollar and ran out of the place before the mallam go they speak in aliens language too. He also said by Tuesday the money is crashing more.
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by jaybim: 8:33am On Feb 25, 2017
Well put OP...I've tried to explain this to people but sentiments won't let some see.

The fall of the Naira or its rise is simply hinged on demand and supply. The more FX in circulation the stronger the Naira, which is what the new policy is doing.
Also the lower the demand for the available FX will strengthen the Naira even further and send the rates tumbling faster.

To put things in perspective. Oil is our major FX earner. The drop in prices which this government met as they assumed office was cog number 1. Cog number 2, militant attacks. 3, low foreign reserves.

While 1 and 2 above explain themselves, 3 now meant the the government could not withdraw from the foreign reserves to ensure FX liquidity (what they refer to as defending the Naira). This explains why the Naira weakened so dramatically when the present administration came in. They either keep depleting the reserves to satisfy the FX demand or ration the available FX, which they did.

As explained earlier by OP... Now the reserves are fairly fat, so the CBN can afford to defend the Naira by flooding the market with dollars. The higher the supply the lower the price.
So it's really nothing to do with Buhari or PYO.

There is however a limit to which it can drop IMO. Demand is still too high. We are still importing too much. Too many unnecessary items. Imagine people going to import gari, egusi soup, jollof rice... Haba!!! This here is the biggest problem if you ask me.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by Firstcitizen: 8:34am On Feb 25, 2017
agarawu23:
Lalasticlala, update the topic, $-# is presently 460/$

They placed the misleading figures on FP on purpose as some form of psychological intervention to sabotage CBN efforts.

This thread was opened early morning yesterday b4 the Naira appreciation yet it was put on FP today.
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by nwosu35: 8:36am On Feb 25, 2017
Lie, fat lie
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by urpee28(m): 8:37am On Feb 25, 2017
I got it at N450 to a $ on Friday.positive change

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by Pro2makx(m): 8:42am On Feb 25, 2017
Let's hope it does not come falling like gravity again. If they can sustain this and naira keeps gaining against dollar. I might be force to defect from the Republican party to APShit wink wink tongue
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by martineverest(m): 8:46am On Feb 25, 2017
its 450 as of this morning
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by ephi123(f): 8:49am On Feb 25, 2017
989900:

Pipeline vandals are a major draw back on our collective progress. Less vandalism brings in more dollars, more power generation, which ultimately translates to less fuel consumption and by extension less Forex consumption.

Exactly. Which is where dialogue comes in rather than the aggressive stance Buhari was taking.
Diplomacy is a key skill for any leader who wants to be successful.

Crude has been hovering at the $55 mark for a number of weeks now, but that is majorly because of the cuts OPEC implemented, if they change their stance then a free fall to the $30s may begin

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by martineverest(m): 8:50am On Feb 25, 2017
nwabobo:

Where will the supply to sustain the momentum come from? Even at $100 per barrel of oil, it can't be sustained.
naysayer and bad belle...the crude oil is pegged at 38 dollars and its been sold at 53-58 dollars.dats about 15-20 dollars in xcess...if it moves to 70-100 dollar/barrell,it will signal the end of recession.CBN will float our markets with dollars
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 25, 2017
The d.umb nomad/cohorts should just take naira BACK to the BUS/STOP they picked her!....

#200 to 1$, no more, no less!

1 Like

Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by kolaaderin: 8:56am On Feb 25, 2017
urpee28:
I got it at N450 to a $ on Friday.positive change

Where pls I sold for N430 around 4.30 pm yesterday.
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by Nobody: 8:56am On Feb 25, 2017
*2 steps forward, 4 steps backward....
*motion without movement!
*buhari is a total FAILURE!
Re: Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ by martineverest(m): 8:57am On Feb 25, 2017
kolaaderin:

so,u have been hoarding dollars.na God catch u

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do I Become A Recharge Card Dealer? / Are Old Notes Still Accepted In Your Area? / Whats The Fastest Selling Commodity In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.