Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,004 members, 7,821,519 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

The Gamer Stereotype - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / The Gamer Stereotype (6263 Views)

Russian Gamer To Sue Fallout 4 After Losing His Job & Wife To His Addiction / Wife Auctions Off 'Gamer' Husband On Craigslist / How Do You Know A Hardcore Gamer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Gamer Stereotype by texazzpete(m): 2:37pm On Jan 18, 2007
Just yesterday, i came back from work, all stressed out and i settled down to unwind with my PSP. ever since i started emulating Playstation games on my PSp, i haven't been able to put down Street Fighter EX2. anyway, i was playing away when a pal wandered in and told me "So you haven't outgrown such small children's games?"

I was like, WTF? Why do people in this day and age keep spouting that 'games are for kids' crap? This isn't the first timme i'm getting such a ribbing for playing video games and i think it sux!

What do y'all think? Do people still give you that same old line?
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by Gamine(f): 5:10pm On Jan 18, 2007
Yes ooh, even as a gurl, its worse
Theyr like , its for kids ooh, get into the kitchen!
Anyways i tell em that most of these games rnt evn made for 'kids'
Its Ignorance that causes such rant
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by texazzpete(m): 7:19am On Jan 19, 2007
Yeah well, most times i tell 'em that video games 'result in enhanced eye-to-hand co-ordination and heightened reflexes'. They used to buy that excuse before, !
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:35am On Jan 19, 2007
not only from games i also get those comments when some see me watching cartoons. and i simply tell them sorry i can't stop even if am seventy i'd sure love to watch and play with my grand-kids if God permitts.and they simply say nothing
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by texazzpete(m): 3:40pm On Jan 19, 2007
@adewaleafolabi

i feel u, jare. Just last week i settled down to watch Johnny Bravo and someone wanted to eat me alive, asking me if i was a baby cheesy

just for the record, i think i DO have fast reflexes, wonder if gaming had anythign to do with it? grin
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:20pm On Jan 19, 2007
gaming improves reflexes. even surgeons are advised to play games as it improves their ability to see,thinks,and overall concentration. also the best ROV(remotely operated vehicle) operator are hard core gamers.
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:29pm On Jan 19, 2007
gaming improves reflexes. even surgeons are advised to play games as it improves their ability to see,thinks,and overall concentration. also the best ROV(remotely operated vehicle) operator are hard core gamers. So for one to operate one of those machines effectively, u need the ability to stare at the screen for hours without getting bored and not missing the smallest detail and thats where the gamers comes in. another thing is that these machines are controlled using a joystick.
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by c0dec(m): 12:00am On Jan 21, 2007
@tp: seriously, leave PH (or get on-shore). getting your phone is hard!

not sure what the exact percentage is but it is known that the percentage of gamers today, aged 18-35 is more than those aged under 18.

i work in the games industry, and it's pretty hard to tell my non-gaming family or friends what exactly i do. once you mention the word "game", they'd be like 'wtf'. and that's not just a problem for me - most game programmers struggle with it.

generally people think game developers just fool around at work playing games all day long. ha! well, ok, only the testers play games all day long, and believe when i tell you they get sick of it. a game designer too would also have to play games quite a bit too. programmers on the other hand hardly have the time for it - i only play games at work for research and it never lasts for more than 20 mins (i try smiley).

another misconception people have that pisses me off a great deal is that games are easy to make and is not rocket science. well, i mine opinion games dev is more advanced than rocket science. . . hell yeah! IMO, a game programmer (the engine programmer) is the ultimate geek. f**k! i have met some evil people not even OS devs can rival.

nowadays programming games involves hardcore maths and physics, some biology and psychology too. it's a pity despite their brilliance, game programmers don't earn as much as some of their weaker peers in other areas of software development (death to all network programmers). anyway, we don't do it for the cash - it's all passion.

i could go on and on but i'll just stop. i just wish games can be viewed as an art much like film. we'll get there soon.
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by texazzpete(m): 8:44am On Jan 22, 2007
@codec

I've gotten my IDD facility on my SIM installed now, so i'll call u later today
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by Gamine(f): 8:44pm On Jan 22, 2007
someone says:
' hmm this gurl, u play games too much ooh, '

Strategy games r the best time takers for me, gamin for close to 12 hrs wiv out battin an eye

The stereotype is basically this

Gamer: A jobless
Friendless
Nerdish Soul
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by iice(f): 3:24am On Jan 23, 2007
Am lucky i don't have much experience with the stereotype. Most people i know are gamers both male and female (ranging from novice to experts) when i was younger i ddnt play that much but my brothers were always bugging me to play with them and to learn other games especially combat games. Consequently i ended playing games, not an expert though but what can i say it relieves stress grin grin Also as a kid, we used to have gaming sessions at my house, guys (they werent any girls who i knew played back home) would come over and sleep for days, they'd be playing games. Still have gaming sessions once in awhile these days.

As for cartoons, love them, always watch them, now when someone says its for kids, i give them the blank look like i don't know what they are saying grin
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by Gamine(f): 12:32pm On Jan 23, 2007
Yeeah, back then,evn tho i hv jst one brotha, nd we were 4gurls, we still used to have gaming sessions
my house was for nintendo games, while my neighbors' was for Sega games,
But u kno wink ours was the most interestn, soon after it became Playstation games,

But now evryone seems to hav 'grown up' cry
pretty sad to think sad

all in all i will still game and watch cartoons when i can! grin
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:42pm On Jan 23, 2007
the last game i played was the path of neo. see moves chai i play it even at 2am while making free call. Well if growing up means me depriving myself of this goodies them i simply refuse to grow. Whats better than spending quality time with your children by tanning a little game of teken or playing splinter cell contributing ideas or even bumping into each other in a game of need 4 speed.
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by gbadex1(m): 7:54am On Jan 24, 2007
True talk

year 2082
-----
in a cozy room, gbade. x is whooping his grandson's ass on Tekken: Evolution or some sh*t like that. Both crouched over their pads, grandson flabbergasted his gramps could whoop his ass using nerdy combos, down-forward X + O and sh*t like that.

Grandson's like : "no fair Gramps!! How come u always winning"

Gramps - hehehehehe. . . Silly children, never knew his Gramps used to rumble with gamers back in the day. . .

Granny - now, will u two stop that racket. . . Like u were kids or somethings

Gramps harrumphs and gives his grandson another session of asswhooping

Gramps gbade slots in FIFA '28. The pats an empty sofa long after d youngblood's gone ta sleep. Granny comes and holds a pad. The is time 2 a.m

the next 2a.m. hours have passed

Gramps and Granny still tanning FIFA.

Granny - Oh. . . .

Gramps - . . . . sh*t

Grandson - that's the spirit Granpa! Now pass Henry that fucking ball!

'nuff said. cheesy tongue
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by marhoatumu(m): 3:27pm On Jan 24, 2007
its true that majority of the games designed today are not for chidren, yet some people still see it as childish. at my house it is a taboo to be seen playing any type of game( solitaire included) so the only chance i have is when i'm at school. then i go all out.
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by Gamine(f): 5:07pm On Jan 24, 2007
Whut u cant even play Solitaire?? shocked, thats extreme oooh,

If they didnt allow us play games durin the day, in the night,
we'll all wait for the light in my parents room to go out, wink
then we come out to TAN grin

Once my dad caught us, i was on mario kart then and it was 150cc star cup
i was winning and then he tells us to go to bed NOW!, hw mad i was i cldnt evn sleep again

ooh the memories!!! grin
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by iice(f): 3:36am On Jan 25, 2007
LMAO good thing ma momsi is cool with it, my bro asked her a new gaming console and she said he should check the prices, but he changed his mind and said a laptop is what he needed.
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by todan(m): 11:01am On Jan 25, 2007
there is no big deal for an adult to be a game freak, i think i'm one, not just a game freak but also a cartoon freak, i play it alot with my kid brother and my teenage sister. but always pretend when their friends are around.
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by ehie007(m): 11:45am On Jan 25, 2007
playing games is good. according to research playing games help the brain to be sharp at grasping things. it also helps ur reflexes. but gettings addicted is not good.
too much of everything is bad.
Playing games helps me relax, if we use it as a relaxing tool its good for the mind and body.
when i have kids i will bye games, computer's for them, but also regulate the way they play them.
ther are games meant foe adults .
so any body who complains about u playing games tell the person to go to hell, even ur parents( grin)
Later.

Heard PS3 is not much a difference from PS2, so still stick to ur PS2 till the price of PS3 comes down.
Looking up too the yahoo boys to bring in PS3 so we can buy it cheap.
grin grin grin shocked cheesy
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by ehie007(m): 11:48am On Jan 25, 2007
playing games is good. according to research playing games help the brain to be sharp at grasping things. it also helps ur reflexes. but gettings addicted is not good.
too much of everything is  bad.
Playing games helps me relax, if we use it as a relaxing tool its good for the mind and body.
when i have kids i will bye games, computer's for them, but also regulate the way they play them.
ther are games meant foe adults .
so any body who complains about u playing games tell the person to go to hell, even ur parents( grin)
Later.

Heard PS3 is not much a difference from PS2, so still stick to ur PS2 till the price of PS3 comes down.
Looking up too the yahoo boys to bring in PS3 so we can buy it cheap.
grin grin grin shocked cheesy
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by eniola1310(f): 12:03pm On Jan 25, 2007
playing games to me is not a childish endeavour but i'll say it's very addictive and it makes pple very violent especially when they are always losing.
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by grafikdon: 12:24pm On Jan 25, 2007
I never had that stereotype problem. All my friends back home are hard core gamers and most of them are cartoon freaks so I was pretty much playing my games anytime I wanted without any ignorant remark. Heck, my dad was very nonchalant about games, he never stopped us from playing but he just wasn't feeling it until we persuaded him to sit down and have a go at WWF. . . hahaha! grin That got his attention a bit 'cause whenever he had the time, we'd chill with him and play smack down and EA FIFA series. He's a wrestling fan and and ex referee/coach so we figured WWF and FIFA Series would be good baits and they worked grin My mum and sister joined us occasionally but we'd just give them some space 'cause they'd just play only boring games. . . well I wouldn't say boring but any game that involves fighting or violence, they ain't touching it. . . alway Teris and some volleyball. . . mild and soft games like that. When it comes to cartoons, EVERYONE in my family loves em till date, big small, cousins, aunts, nephews, nieces, etc etc . . . I miss those days now cause it sucks when my bros are not around for the 'gaming sessions'. Playing FIFA 2006 alone isn't my cup of tea, I need to whupp as* and see the look on the 'victim's' face
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by grafikdon: 12:33pm On Jan 25, 2007
eniola1310:

playing games to me is not a childish endeavour but i'll say it's very addictive and it makes people very violent especially when they are always losing.

LOL, I feel you. But there are unofficial gaming rules,

1. While whupping somebody's ass, never look them in the face and say 'how're u doing?' since that could translate to physical a@@ whupping, depending on the person involved.

2. If they want a 'rematch' NEVER say 'No I am tired', that could earn you another as@ whuppin'. Give them a rematch and continue whupping their behind.

3. When their eyes become blood shot as a result of constant butt whupp. . . let them win for once, damn it! Once you let em win, it's time to bail out. . . at least their ego will be intact and your jaw will be intact.

et cetera et cetera cool
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by showbobo(m): 2:47pm On Jan 25, 2007
i love games and cartoons too but my folks are always yabbing me.They would be like"Dont u know you are old enough to give birth to all those babies you are playing".Anyway,i dont mind all that and i still play my games and watch my cartoons.Just patiently waiting for the price of Ps3 to drop cos its crazy buying it at the current price.130grand
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by demybk(m): 3:10pm On Jan 25, 2007
I love computer games so much !!! cant even remember when I started playing it. I dont care what people say about one being immature playing computer games / watching cartoons. I have two kids (4) & (2) years, we have watched lion king 1&2 together uncountable times, laughing and playing.

As for games I can play till heaven falls and take it serious, I love single shooter best & have played a lot, and I mean a lot. With all these I am a Financial Controller in a top service firm on the Island, married with two kidz, wake up 3:30am every weekday, read an average of 3 books per month, on a schedule to finish the bible in six months (and on course).

Currently am playin Half Life 2, finished Half Life 1 two years ago. So you see for someone with my strict and valuable schedule, I cant be said to be childish playing games, I wont even reply. Ve also watched uncountable cartoons,

Guyz, just follow ur interest, love you o jare
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by casper(m): 5:18pm On Jan 25, 2007
for all those people that are saying gamers are immature, i think it is because they didnt believe in it from like when they were young or something.

i have an aunt that still beats me in WINNING ELEVEN SOCCER, it is not that i cannot play oo but she is just TOO good. i beat boys when i play with them, but she is just a player,

and guess what her profession is.

she is a COLLEGE PROFESSOR IN ORGANICC CHEMISTRY IN UNILAG, she also has a DOCTORATE DEGREE in chemistry. she is in her 40's. so to all those who think gamers are kids, think very well.

and again when she comes back from work she unwinds with cartoon then news then to bed. when i stayed with her we usually never get bored, and she can go to alaba just to buy cartoon movies. SHE IS JUST GREAT!! i think i am closer to her than my mum lipsrsealed because of the way she sees life.

1 Like

Re: The Gamer Stereotype by Gamine(f): 5:21pm On Jan 25, 2007
Ur Aunty is one Cool Lady ooh!! shocked grin grin
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by meezcheef(m): 6:10pm On Jan 25, 2007
;d
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by Seun(m): 6:22pm On Jan 25, 2007
casper, A typical Nigerian husband wouldn't allow your Aunt to develop such a passion. I bet she's unmarried.
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by casper(m): 6:35pm On Jan 25, 2007
she is married with 3 kids. 2 are in unilag, and one is in secondary school. her husband is indifferent about it. as long as she does the regular chores and satisfies him and his kids. that is all he wants. she was like that b4 he married her,
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by goodguy(m): 7:26pm On Jan 25, 2007
Well, here's another Video games freak in here. 

Unfortunately, I never had a Video game because my parents wouldn't buy me one.  They believed it wouldn't make me serious in my studies. angry   Maybe they were right, 'cuzz I get so addicted to games once I start playing them.  Even during exam periods, I still play games! lipsrsealed  But then, it never really affected me as they believed.  I could have been unserious, but I would still pass my exams.

Anyway, since I've been having access to the Internet (since 2001 till date), I have not been deprived of so much fun because I have downloaded and played lots of PC games.  I also play online games.  And since I do not own one myself, I play video games (I play soccer (Winning Eleven, Pro Evolution) everytime on PS2) with my friends whenever it's available, and we all thrash each other.  I'm still their master anyway, 'cuzz  I still have the highest scoring records, highest being 12 - 1; and these guys aren't bad either.  They are also pros in their own way.  cool

My PC was just formatted and loaded with Win XP unlimited 2 days ago, and this OS comes with some cool games.  The one I love the most is Frog 2, already getting addicted gradually.

As for cartoons, I've think outgrown them (not totally though).  I used to believe I could never stop watching cartoons, but surprisingly, I just don't have as much interest anymore.  I remember those days when I would wake up very early on Saturdays to watch those Cadbury cartoons, and those days when I would get back home from school and tune in to any stations currently showing any cartoons. grin  These days, I only watch certain categories of cartoons.  Cartoons like Superman, Batman, Zeta Project and alike are what I watch.  God knows I seriously detest those cartoons where the characters have big heads, long necks, short bodies, big eyes - atimes, 3 or 4 eyes, etc. grin

And oh, I forgot to say that my father also doesn't likes cartoons.  He calls them "Toy", and is always like "What do you gain from all these rubbish (toy) you keep watching".  And I'm always like - " tongue ", that is, na una sabi!  I don't say that to him though. grin  But the man loves card games.  He plays Solitaire and Spider Solitaire, everytime.

And as for the games again, is it really true it improves one's reflexes?  I have a really fast reflex.  I have never thought it had anything to do with my love for games.  I have always thought it was a special gift from God. grin

Anyway, I intend getting the PS3 when the price comes down to my pocket level.
Re: The Gamer Stereotype by ima1(f): 11:47pm On Jan 25, 2007
I am another Video Game freak, and i just bought the new Nitendo WII which is so much fun by the way, my hands are still aching from playing it too much, i've been told women should not play video game, thats just bull bcoz its fun kicking a guys butt when you play it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Have An Idea On The Current Price Of Play Station 2 ? / GTA5 On PSP 3000 / Anyone With FIFA 15 Or FIFA 14 ISO Download Link For Ppsspp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.