Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,066 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:52 PM

5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! (30734 Views)

Underwear Mistakes You Are Making As A Lady / Okechukwu Ozumba: US Arrests Doctor For ‘Sexually Assaulting’ Patients / Yes, You Can Sue Your Doctor For Misdiagnosing You!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by Amhappy(f): 6:22pm On Feb 26, 2017
What about poor treatment,I fear our hospitals
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by SonofHim: 6:32pm On Feb 26, 2017
DonX001:

@Worlexy, I beg to disagree a bit Sir, on the bolded part.
For the purpose of enlightening the young lady (Ezionye) and others, I'll explain.

It really depends on the doctors clinical acumen and his clinical diagnosis.

You may examine areas that are apparently totally unrelated to the complaints, if you feel they may help your diagnosis.

For example, if someone comes complaining of ONLY headache or dizziness or change in vision, you may examine the breasts for milky discharge that may suggest a prolactinoma. (a type of brain tumor).

If someone complains of cough, you may examine the breasts to check for a lump, that may be metastatic breast cancer.

In both examples above, you could actually be sued for negligence if you did not examine the breasts and it turns out to be the key to diagnosing the problem.
Despite the fact that the patient has NO breast complaints whatsoever when coming to you.

As a real life example, I've had a patient come with just cough and difficulty in breathing due to a pleural effusion, and the cause turned out to be a very small breast lump (breast cancer) which was not noticed by the patient, her husband, or previous doctors. (The woman had large breasts, and she was a young woman o). She had absolutely NO BREAST COMPLAINTS.

So its possible for a doctor to wish to examine the breasts or vagina for seemingly totally unrelated complaints, it depends on what he is thinking about as his diagnosis.
If the patient declines, he just documents it, and is covered.

I had to clarify this, so that some poorly informed patients will not go around and start calling a doctor a quack because he requested to examine their breasts, when their complaints appear totally unrelated to those areas.

Besides, as a doctor, we are taught in medical school to do a full body examination as the standard, as that has saved lives in many cases by picking up things in the early stages that the patient might not have noticed, whether or not they are related to the patient's primary complaints.
Its just the practical constraints of time and a busy clinic that prevent most people from doing this.

Chief I present cephalic.

I almost failed my final year exam in surgery because in long case I clerked a woman who presented with an anterior neck mass and failed to do a breast examination. The examiner was furious and and gave me a lecture on missed opportunities.

Its not out of place to do a breast examination with consent and a chaperone based on those presentations... infact you said it all.

1 Like

Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by watchamacallit: 8:00pm On Feb 26, 2017
SonofHim:

Chief I present cephalic.

I almost failed my final year exam in surgery because in long case I clerked a woman who presented with an anterior neck mass and failed to do a breast examination. The examiner was furious and and gave me a lecture on missed opportunities.

Its not out of place to do a breast examination with consent and a chaperone based on those presentations... infact you said it all.

Chaperone! Chaperone!! Chaperone!!! How many times did I call it? Good
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by innovate3751: 10:47pm On Feb 26, 2017
Amhappy:
What about poor treatment,I fear our hospitals
grin grin grin
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by sainty2k3(m): 10:59pm On Feb 26, 2017
I need to sue a patient, can I contact the OP too.
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by Nobody: 9:17pm On Mar 03, 2017
funmisticqueen:
Pls op when are you going to write an article about 5 mistakes doctors can sue patients for. I sincerely hope one of them is giving false information as presenting complaint. Medicne as a profession has taught me that nigerians are innate liars. A man would to the hospital with STI and tell the doctor that he is urinating too much. A woman will come to the hospital looking for the friut of the womb and will tell the doctor that she has come to the hospital because of stomach ache. In my exam a woman was looking for a child and came complaining of neck pain see me taking her history now, when i was presenting and my examiner asked her if neck pain was her real complaint, that is how the woman denied me o and said no, i nearly failed that exam. We doctors have a lot cut out for us and some of you patients are dificult.there was this case in a teaching hospital in lagos of a woman who was sick with chronic kidney disease, her relatives kept telling the doctors that they had no money, the doctors did all they could even contributed money but lost her, 2 day after her death the relatives came with 2 lawyers demanding for an autopsy, where did they get money for the lawyer, nigerians have bad attitude towards health and doctors and that is why the smart ones leave this country to go abroad. A colleague told me while in med school that anyone who wants to practice in nigeria is high on crack. The replies of nigerians in this thread have made me realise that he has a point. Continue o. Very soon only quacks, nurses and pharmacists will be treating you when there will be only a handful of doctors or none at all to treat you.

Hahaha Patient have no patience.
Re: 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! by watchamacallit: 2:25pm On Mar 04, 2017
funmisticqueen:
Pls op when are you going to write an article about 5 mistakes doctors can sue patients for. I sincerely hope one of them is giving false information as presenting complaint. Medicne as a profession has taught me that nigerians are innate liars. A man would to the hospital with STI and tell the doctor that he is urinating too much. A woman will come to the hospital looking for the friut of the womb and will tell the doctor that she has come to the hospital because of stomach ache. In my exam a woman was looking for a child and came complaining of neck pain see me taking her history now, when i was presenting and my examiner asked her if neck pain was her real complaint, that is how the woman denied me o and said no, i nearly failed that exam. We doctors have a lot cut out for us and some of you patients are dificult.there was this case in a teaching hospital in lagos of a woman who was sick with chronic kidney disease, her relatives kept telling the doctors that they had no money, the doctors did all they could even contributed money but lost her, 2 day after her death the relatives came with 2 lawyers demanding for an autopsy, where did they get money for the lawyer, nigerians have bad attitude towards health and doctors and that is why the smart ones leave this country to go abroad. A colleague told me while in med school that anyone who wants to practice in nigeria is high on crack. The replies of nigerians in this thread have made me realise that he has a point. Continue o. Very soon only quacks, nurses and pharmacists will be treating you when there will be only a handful of doctors or none at all to treat you.
Some of these patients don't have chill at all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Is It That Mad People Have Very Strong Immunity? / Man To Hold Thanksgiving After Doctor Mistakenly Cut Off His Intestine. Photos / How To Use Onions To Treat Urinary Tract Infections, Dry Cough, Hypertension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.