Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,946 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:38 PM

CBN FX Sale: Naira Firmer In Black Market - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN FX Sale: Naira Firmer In Black Market (635 Views)

Woman Kerosene Black Market Seller Opens Her Own Filling Station (pictures) / Can CBN Sustain The Black Market Onslaught? / Naira Firms On Black Market After Central Bank Action - BDC Traders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

CBN FX Sale: Naira Firmer In Black Market by Drinokrane: 3:09am On Feb 26, 2017

The naira firmed on the black market on Wednesday after the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) sold $1.5 billion to boost liquidity on the official interbank market. The currency reached 505 per dollar on the black market after opening at 515, exchange bureau traders said.
The central bank intervened on the official market at 304.75. The naira had hit an all time black market low of 520 on Monday. The naira has been pummeled since Nigeria dropped its peg to the dollar in June last year as its oil-producing economy suffered from the fall in the price of crude. Inflation is now running at above 18 percent at least partly as a result. The bank stepped up interbank dollar sales on Tuesday, a day after it effectively devalued the naira for retail currency sales.
“The central bank measures directing banks (this week) to sell dollars at (a) margin above the interbank rate … have aided significantly a naira rebound,” said Aminu Gwadabe, president of Nigeria’s association of bureau de change operators.
CBN on Tuesday sold $370.8 million at forward exchange rates up to 15 per cent weaker than the official rate, in a move to close the gap between official and black market rate of the local currency.
Traders said Tuesday’s dollar sales by the central bank also increased confidence in the forex market, boosted dollar supplies at the official window and encouraged speculators to sell their holdings.
LV
Re: CBN FX Sale: Naira Firmer In Black Market by GetUmad: 4:30am On Feb 26, 2017
Bubu is working. Don't ask me how I mean cos I don't know myself.

Meanwhile, Somewhere in Bariga

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Logistics Company That Can Ship From China / Ukaonu chicken feed lol / BITCOIN Basics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.