Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,702 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

It Is Well With My Soul By Horatio Spafford - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / It Is Well With My Soul By Horatio Spafford (373 Views)

Closed / The World Offered Me A Whole Lot At The Expense Of My Soul - Mercy Chinwo / 'I Sold My Soul To Satan So What? I Don't Want No Heaven' - Nigerian Lady Shocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

It Is Well With My Soul By Horatio Spafford by Udpconcept(m): 12:25pm On Feb 26, 2017
Original lyrics

When peace like a river attended my way,

When sorrows like sea billow roll;

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to know

It is well, it is well with my soul.

The above hymn was written after traumatic events in Spafford's life. The first was the death of his son at the age of 2 and the great Chicago fire of 1871 which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer and had invested significantly in property in the area of Chicago that was extensively damaged by the great fire ). His business interests were further hit by the economic downturn of 1873 at which time he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the SS Ville du Havure .

In a late change of plan, he sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the great Chicago fire. While crossing the Atlantic , the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sea vessel, the loch earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him now famous telegram, “ save alone...” shortly afterward, as Spafford traveled to his grieving wife, he was inspired to write the above hymn as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.

The moral lesson of the above story is that in every situation we should always give thanks to God, even in your sorrowful hour always remember that the almighty God has not forsaken you.

1 Like

Re: It Is Well With My Soul By Horatio Spafford by Lex11(m): 4:28pm On Feb 26, 2017
... and so walk men and women of faith by the mercies, grace and strength of GOD...

"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." -Hebrews 13:5

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -John 16:33

(1) (Reply)

Sincerity / Rccg's 75 Hours Praise Marathons Begins Today / The Illusion Of Life After Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.