Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,909 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered (2550 Views)

Exotic Lhasa Apso Pups....( New Litter) all sold thanks / Lady Holds Baby Shower For Her Pregnant Dog In Abuja (Photos) / Maternity Photos Of A Man And His Pregnant Dog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered by DipoAy(m): 2:39am On Feb 27, 2017
Am sure a lot of us here are dog breeders, professionals are also her too. So am curious , how do you care for your pregnant bitch and when she finally delivers how do you care for the puppies and the bitch also?? You could give tips ?? Am kind of a first time breeder and I feel am getting things wrong. Would be waiting replies smiley
Re: How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered by Namdeenero(m): 1:00pm On Feb 27, 2017
For a pregnant dam it all boils down to feeding and nutrition, make sure to feed normal rations of food till when her pregnancy hits 6 weeks then you can increase or You can just feed puppy food from 6 weeks till she whelps and make sure not to forget her multivitamins too. A dam tends to lose a lot of weight after whelping so you have to keep her at a healthy weight prior to whelping so as to avoid complications after birth.

How many weeks pregnant is your dog bro?? At & weeks you should have set up her whelping box or arrange a particular area where she can feel safe delivering, also get oral drip incase your dog gets weak in-between contraptions, get clips incase your dog doesn't chew her puppies umblical cord, get a milk replacer and puppy feeding bottle incase your dog isn't lactating well and above all keep her whelping area clean to prevent any kind of infection. Bro as long as your dam is in a healthy shape, everything will just act out like a movie and before you know it nature will take its course and you will have a new litter in no time. I was in your shoes once but then i got reassurances from some top bosses and truth is that i didn't even have to interfere in the whole birth process, it just went smoothly. I drop my pen abi Laptop........... So Goodluck!
Re: How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered by DipoAy(m): 1:10pm On Feb 27, 2017
Namdeenero:
For a pregnant dam it all boils down to feeding and nutrition, make sure to feed normal rations of food till when her pregnancy hits 6 weeks then you can increase or You can just feed puppy food from 6 weeks till she whelps and make sure not to forget her multivitamins too. A dam tends to lose a lot of weight after whelping so you have to keep her at a healthy weight prior to whelping so as to avoid complications after birth.

How many weeks pregnant is your dog bro?? At & weeks you should have set up her whelping box or arrange a particular area where she can feel safe delivering, also get oral drip incase your dog gets weak in-between contraptions, get clips incase your dog doesn't chew her puppies umblical cord, get a milk replacer and puppy feeding bottle incase your dog isn't lactating well and above all keep her whelping area clean to prevent any kind of infection. Bro as long as your dam is in a healthy shape, everything will just act out like a movie and before you know it nature will take its course and you will have a new litter in no time. I was in your shoes once but then i got reassurances from some top bosses and truth is that i didn't even have to interfere in the whole birth process, it just went smoothly. I drop my pen abi Laptop........... So Goodluck!
THANKS bro. My dog already delivered since. The delivery process isn't my problem but the fact that my puppies are dying. I have had two litters now and they died. All except one in each. So like am just confused. What it is I was doing wrongly. I would say part of what I was doing wrong is that I wasn't well informed. The vet I was using is more or less like a quack . Recently found a new one now. She seems like she knows what she's doing buh when I finally found her it was too late. Lost two puppies in two days. I would be hoping for a better future with the new Vet. How do you take care of the litter so they don't have complications. I even learnt a puppy that isn't a month old yet can't be injected even if they fall sick. Mine weren't up to a month when they started falling sick and all the vet could do was give block antibiotics. I was pained buh life goes on
Re: How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered by Namdeenero(m): 1:34pm On Feb 27, 2017
DipoAy:

THANKS bro. My dog already delivered since. The delivery process isn't my problem but the fact that my puppies are dying. I have had two litters now and they died. All except one in each. So like am just confused. What it is I was doing wrongly. I would say part of what I was doing wrong is that I wasn't well informed. The vet I was using is more or less like a quack . Recently found a new one now. She seems like she knows what she's doing buh when I finally found her it was too late. Lost two puppies in two days. I would be hoping for a better future with the new Vet. How do you take care of the litter so they don't have complications. I even learnt a puppy that isn't a month old yet can't be injected even if they fall sick. Mine weren't up to a month when they started falling sick and all the vet could do was give block antibiotics. I was pained buh life goes on
I don't really know sha because i'm not a vet but the most common causes of death in puppies are Maybe Malnutrition or Mastisis or even hypothermia. Sometimes it might even be caused infections from the dam or sire.
Re: How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered by DipoAy(m): 1:39pm On Feb 27, 2017
Namdeenero:
I don't really know sha because i'm not a vet but the most common causes of death in puppies are Maybe Malnutrition or Mastisis or even hypothermia. Sometimes it might even be caused infections from the dam or sire.
The vet mentioned underfeeding to me. Saying I should have been supplementing buh I didn't know all that buh usually give milk and egg. We would be finding a permanent solution sha. Thanks
Re: How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered by Magpies(m): 1:49pm On Feb 27, 2017
DipoAy:

The vet mentioned underfeeding to me. Saying I should have been supplementing buh I didn't know all that buh usually give milk and egg. We would be finding a permanent solution sha. Thanks
Did you notice any symptoms before they drop dead?
Re: How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered by DipoAy(m): 2:07pm On Feb 27, 2017
Magpies:
Did you notice any symptoms before they drop dead?
It all starts with them not eating. They don't suckle neither do they take anything we give them even if they were taking it before. Then they just deteriorate. Start walking less till when they are just always lying down. Become pale and anaemic. White gum and tongue. Oh lest I forget. We are battling ticks and fleas. That's another issue. Buh my recent litter was cared for so they don't really get affected buh still the same
Re: How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered by Magpies(m): 3:16pm On Feb 27, 2017
DipoAy:

It all starts with them not eating. They don't suckle neither do they take anything we give them even if they were taking it before. Then they just deteriorate. Start walking less till when they are just always lying down. Become pale and anaemic. White gum and tongue. Oh lest I forget. We are battling ticks and fleas. That's another issue. Buh my recent litter was cared for so they don't really get affected buh still the same
did you vaccinate the bitch before mating??
Re: How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered by DipoAy(m): 3:49pm On Feb 27, 2017
Magpies:
did you vaccinate the bitch before mating??
Which Vaccine??
Re: How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered by Namdeenero(m): 7:32pm On Feb 27, 2017
DipoAy:

Milk and eggs are not good for new born pups bro because the egg might contain salmonella bacteria which could be fatal to your pups and the milk might cause diarrhea and knowing that their immune systems are not fully developed they might die. Get a milk replacement for pups from your vet instead

1 Like

Re: How Do You Care For Your Pregnant Dog And New Litter When Delivered by DipoAy(m): 12:39am On Feb 28, 2017
Namdeenero:
Milk and eggs are not good for new born pups bro because the egg might contain salmonella bacteria which could be fatal to your pups and the milk might cause diarrhea and knowing that their immune systems are not fully developed they might die. Get a milk replacement for pups from your vet instead

sad Seriously. And I just kept giving them. Its sad really. Guess I learnt the hard way

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Adult Male Slant Back German Shepherd For Sale....super Quality / Adult Caucasian For Sale / Soft Coated Irish Wheaten Terrier Puppies Ready For Pick Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.