Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,530 members, 7,816,294 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair - Fashion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair (98128 Views)

Tips On How To Grow Your Natural Hair Using Cooking Ingredients / 5 Tips On How To Protect Your Natural Hair This Harmattan Season / Check Out My Natural Hair 2 Years After Being Mocked About My Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ginaz(f): 8:35pm On Oct 14, 2017
Minabee:

Twists stretch the hair. Personally, I braid (cornrows) my hair in two after i wash and when i loosen, there's no form of shrinkage

Thanks for your input
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ginaz(f): 9:25pm On Oct 14, 2017
Thanks lovelygurl smiley
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Crystalbell17: 1:27pm On Oct 15, 2017
Pls is it lack of moisture that causes breakage.
Also, thanks for all the contributions here. My hair no longer cuts like before but when I wash it or comb it, little o's (my hair) fall on the floor.
Hair Wonder fans, I haven't heard anything about the shampoo. Who uses it. How is it.
#TeamNatural
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Daeylar(f): 6:34pm On Oct 15, 2017
Why did I just see this thread now? shocked

I love this thread kiss

Nice one lovelygurl

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 7:20pm On Oct 15, 2017
Ginaz:
Thanks lovelygurl smiley

You're welcome wink
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 15, 2017
Crystalbell17:
Pls is it lack of moisture that causes breakage.
Also, thanks for all the contributions here. My hair no longer cuts like before but when I wash it or comb it, little o's (my hair) fall on the floor.
Hair Wonder fans, I haven't heard anything about the shampoo. Who uses it. How is it.
#TeamNatural

Yes, it definitely can . Does your hair feel dry? If yes, it might be dry because your shampoo is too drying or you are not deep conditioning. You could also not be sealing moisture in the right way.

If you are transitioning, hair breakage is absolutely normal to some extent.

When combing your hair always start from it's ends and gradually work your way up to the root. Starting up might lead to you pulling a knot through your entire hair, pulling ever strand that comes in your way along.

If the hair shedding isn't much then it's fine and normal. Hair always sheds, it's normal. It just has to be very little.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 15, 2017
Daeylar:
Why did I just see this thread now? shocked

I love this thread kiss

Nice one lovelygurl

Thanks cheesy
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Daeylar(f): 7:32pm On Oct 15, 2017
lovelygurl:

Thanks cheesy

Thank you for this thread kiss

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Crystalbell17: 9:15am On Oct 16, 2017
lovelygurl:

Yes, it definitely can . Does your hair feel dry? If yes, it might be dry because your shampoo is too drying or you are not deep conditioning. You could also not be sealing moisture in the right way.

The deep conditioning, is it protein or moisture. Also how do I seal moisture. I usually wet it and apply coconut oil.

Thanks
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 16, 2017
Crystalbell17:

The deep conditioning, is it protein or moisture. Also how do I seal moisture. I usually wet it and apply coconut oil.

Thanks

You don't really have to comb your hair that much. To avoid breakage, first seperate the dangles with your hands then comb through. Also, don't comb dry hair.

Like lovelgurl wrote, it's normal for your hair to break while still transitioning

Coconut oil is not a moisturiser, that's why your hair feels dry after using coconut oil. I would advise you to get a leave-in-conditioer, I heard the hair wonder is good. But if you can get Cantu leave-in-conditioer, that would be great. After using the leave-in-conditioer, then seal with coconut oil.

If your hair still feels dry, then maybe you need to stop using coconut oil. For some reasons it makes the hair dry. Though it's great for detangling but not sealing in moisture
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by bokomo(f): 11:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
I had my big chop last month and have decided to be on low cut till the end of the year, I did so because my long hair was terribly weak, less volume, not thick, breakage, tangles at the root tip when I braid , n pulls off when I am losing my hair ,I don't braid too tight n don't wear braids more than 6 weeks, the hair started getting really bad this year, retouched only once this year so I decided to cut it.
Now I don't know my hair porosity type, but when I wet my hair in the morning and apply shea butter n coconut oil its soft n never gets hard throughout the day, I apply small gel too at the front edges it curls up. I don't wanna braid now, so would love to my hair to be more curly, what should my regular hair routine look like, not expensive products oo, my hair shrinks too making it curly thinking its 4c or thereabout.
How do I do protein treatment n moisturizing, how often should I moisturize?
I want to do straw curls ,don't want to braid now they said I should relax my hair and I don't want to, can I achieve straw curls with natural hair.?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by bokomo(f): 11:27pm On Oct 16, 2017
my hair

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:31am On Oct 17, 2017
Crystalbell17:

Thanks

Water=moisture. You seal it in by first applying a leave in conditioner. Then you seal the leave in with an oil/butter. If after doing that, your hair still feels dry then perhaps use another oil. Or if your products don't sink in, add water to the leave in and wear a cap or anything that will keep your head warm ( after sealing the leave in with an oil.)

I think you should also use a moisturizing deep conditioner first. If you do all of the above and your hair still feels dry and breaks, then go for a protein conditioner. Protein conditioners are only used ONCE a month and they help strengthen the strands.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:50am On Oct 17, 2017
bokomo:
I had my big chop last month and have decided to be on low cut till the end of the year, I did so because my long hair was terribly weak, less volume, not thick, breakage, tangles at the root tip when I braid , n pulls off when I am losing my hair ,I don't braid too tight n don't wear braids more than 6 weeks, the hair started getting really bad this year, retouched only once this year so I decided to cut it.
Now I don't know my hair porosity type, but when I wet my hair in the morning and apply shea butter n coconut oil its soft n never gets hard throughout the day, I apply small gel too at the front edges it curls up. I don't wanna braid now, so would love to my hair to be more curly, what should my regular hair routine look like, not expensive products oo, my hair shrinks too making it curly thinking its 4c or thereabout.
How do I do protein treatment n moisturizing, how often should I moisturize?
I want to do straw curls ,don't want to braid now they said I should relax my hair and I don't want to, can I achieve straw curls with natural hair.?

You have high porosity hair because low porosity hair doesn't absorb butters. Were you natural before and the decided to big chop again or did you big chop your relaxed ends? If it's the relaxed ends, then it's normal your real curl partner doesn't come out, till after a few weeks to months. The more you deep condition and your hair is moisturised, the more it's supposed to come out.

A protein treatment only strengthens the hair strands and it's only done if your hair is breaking. It's also done only once a month. I'd only do it if I know I'm moisturizing properly etc yet my hair is still breaking.

After deep conditioning you seal the moisture in by doing the LOC method. I think it's going to work the best for your high porosity hair. That would be applying your coconut oil and shea butter on damp hair to seal the water in. Then applying a leave in to seal the oil/butter in.

Moisturize again whenever your hair feels dry till the next wash day. Do that by spraying water on your hair and doing the LOC method again.

You can definitely do straw curls with you natural hair. I'd do it after your wash day when you hair is only 70-80% dry and after deep conditioning and doing the LOC method. If your hair gets dry while doing it, spray with some water, do the LOC method again and continue.

When you are done and your hair is 100% dry, remove those "straws" carefully. You might want to apply an oil on your fingers to reduce frizz.

Since your hair is very thick, I'd advice you to divide them in little sections. Don't make those sections too big, so it'll come out really defined

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Crystalbell17: 7:07am On Oct 17, 2017
Thanks everybody. This thread is dope.
Another question. Pls which other leave in Conditioner would u advise apart from Cantu (the thing is expensive).
Thanks.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 17, 2017
Crystalbell17:
Thanks everybody. This thread is dope.
Another question. Pls which other leave in Conditioner would u advise apart from Cantu (the thing is expensive).
Thanks.

Hair wonder. I heard it's good
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by bokomo(f): 10:45am On Oct 17, 2017
[quote author=lovelygurl post=61493620]

You have high porosity hair because low porosity hair doesn't absorb butters. Were you natural before and the decided to big chop again or did you big chop your relaxed ends? If it's the relaxed ends, then it's normal your real curl partner doesn't come out, till after a few weeks to months. The more you deep condition and your hair is moisturised, the more it's supposed to come out.

A protein treatment only strengthens the hair strands and it's only done if your hair is breaking. It's also done only once a month. I'd only do it if I know I'm moisturizing properly etc yet my hair is still breaking.

After deep conditioning you seal the moisture in by doing the LOC method. I think it's going to work the best for your high porosity hair. That would be applying your coconut oil and shea butter on damp hair to seal the water in. Then applying a leave in to seal the oil/butter in.

Moisturize again whenever your hair feels dry till the next wash day. Do that by spraying water on your hair and doing the LOC method again.

You can definitely do straw curls with you natural hair. I'd do it after your wash day when you hair is only 70-80% dry and after deep conditioning and doing the LOC method. If your hair gets dry while doing it, spray with some water, do the LOC method again and continue.

When you are done and your hair is 100% dry, remove those "straws" carefully. You might want to apply an oil on your fingers to reduce frizz.

Since your hair is very thick, I'd advice you to divide them in little sections. Don't make those sections too big, so it'll come out really defined .

tank u so much for the information, yes I have high porosity hair from the explanation, haven't been on natural ever before, chopped off the relaxed ends to low cut.
for the straw curls should i apply gel to it, want to use hand dryer, will the heat affect my natural hair?
how can I maintain the straw curls for up to 3 weeks?

how do I do deep conditioning, how many times should I wash in a month?
what ingredients should a good leave in conditioner contain, can't afford cantu product for now?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by bokomo(f): 11:23am On Oct 17, 2017
btw I haven't really gotten to know the details about a wash day, or wash times.
what does it entail, kindly elaborate.
what can u say about using black soap(dudu osun) as shampoo?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 17, 2017
[quote author=bokomo post=61501209][/quote]

Then trust me the curls will come out in no time. For now it's still "recovering" from the relaxers.

I'd say wash your hair every 2 weeks. That's the ideal number for high porosity hair but if you notice it gets dry during those weeks you can either cowash or do an oil rinse.

Wash day routine

■Prepoo(pre shampoo) with coconut oil. That means applying coconut oil on your scalp and hair before shampooing. Wear a shower cap and leave it for at least 2 hours or over night, so you can wash it in the morning)

■Wash/shampoo

■Deep condition by applying your condition just like you would apply a relaxer. Coat in every strand also your ends. Wear a shower cap and let it away for at least 30 kind. You can also wear a cap to great indirect it, so it'll absorb everything. You can also add an oil to your deep conditioner if you want.

■Rinse out and apply your oil and then your your leave in. The first ingredient of ANY hair product you buy has to be water/aqua/h20 bevause they are = to moisture. Key ingredients might be anything moisturising e.g she's butter, avocado, olive oil etc . Also hydrolized proteins will really work on your hair.

You can definitely apply gel to the draw curls but just use a little but, it'll help prevent frizzines, apply a little bit of oil if it feels kind of stiff because of the gel.

I'm wary of the hand dryer to be honest. High porosity dries quickly anyway, so I'd just let it air dry if I were you.

In order to leave it in for at least 3 weeks. I'd make sure it's really moisturised and take my time in achieving that BEFORE doing the style, since you wouldn't be washing it for the next 3 weeks. Always wear a satin bonnet before going to bed and if your hair can be packed up, then do. If it gets dry, carefully spray with water and moisturise by doing the LOC method.

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 17, 2017
bokomo:
btw I haven't really gotten to know the details about a wash day, or wash times.
what does it entail, kindly elaborate.
what can u say about using black soap(dudu osun) as shampoo?

I don't see anything bad in black soap tbh. I plan on going bk to it. Just make sure you really dilute it. A little chunk of the soap in a 100ml of bottle filled with water goes a long way. Just add an oil to it or shea butter. You'll always know when you have to add more oil, depending on how dry your hair feels
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by bokomo(f): 9:02pm On Oct 17, 2017
for deep conditioning is it gonna be a different conditioner or should I use the leave in conditioner?
about dudu osun should I add the shea butter or oil in the 100 ml container at the same time?
Once again I appreciate your time, thank you so much.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nzlove: 8:42pm On Oct 18, 2017
kudos lovelygurl, your thread is very encouraging and Many people are now having faith in their natural hair. eg me.

I have a small question; after removing a protective style (braids) my hair is very dirty. what is the next step, should I shampoo first before detangling or prepoo or detangle first before washing. I'm currently transitioning.
my hair is 4c and low porosity.

thanks in advance. suggestions from anybody will be appreciated.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:09am On Oct 19, 2017
bokomo:
for deep conditioning is it gonna be a different conditioner or should I use the leave in conditioner?
about dudu osun should I add the shea butter or oil in the 100 ml container at the same time?
Once again I appreciate your time, thank you so much.

Yh it's a different conditioner. Your deep conditioner really doesn't have to be expensive, since if it's not moisturizing enough, you can always add oils, avocados, butters etc to the mix. BUT I'd really invest into my leave in. Even your oil shouldn't be expensive and you can always diy your own shampoo.

Yh, you have to add it at the same time. I always get a bowl of hot water, then put another bowl inside the hot water, then add a chunk of the soap, shea butter and oil. After everything is melted, I mix them all together and fill it into the bottle. You can always add more oil if you think it's not moisturizing enough.

And you are always welcome cheesy

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:14am On Oct 19, 2017
Nzlove:
kudos lovelygurl, your thread is very encouraging and Many people are now having faith in their natural hair. eg me.

I have a small question; after removing a protective style (braids) my hair is very dirty. what is the next step, should I shampoo first before detangling or prepoo or detangle first before washing. I'm currently transitioning.
my hair is 4c and low porosity.

thanks in advance. suggestions from anybody will be appreciated.

Oh yeah I know the struggle grin. I always prepoo first, and also detangle while doing this. Always start detangling from the bottom and be careful around where your natural meets the relaxed ends. And it's normal for you to have a lot of shedding, while transitioning and especially after a protective style. So don't worry you aren't going bald grin
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ekeseges(f): 11:47am On Oct 19, 2017
How do I get them.
Ayoolajumoke:
I did my big chop few months ago and I really cared less about the hair, but recently I got the hair Wonder products And Andrea oil, not more than two weeks ago, and I must tell you I've seen a big difference I had to order for more for sale... I'd be subsequently sharing my progress with this particular hair product, you'd be glad you used it.

Attached are the things I use for my hair (shampoo, oil and cream) with Andrea oil. You can contact me on how to get yours.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ayoolajumoke(f): 5:14pm On Oct 19, 2017
Ekeseges:
How do I get them.

I just sent you a pm now, kindly check your email and respond so I can tell you about it.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Ekeseges(f): 5:16pm On Oct 19, 2017
I have replied
Ayoolajumoke:

I just sent you a pm now, kindly check your email and respond so I can tell you about it.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nzlove: 9:54pm On Oct 19, 2017
lovelygurl:

Oh yeah I know the struggle grin. I always prepoo first, and also detangle while doing this. Always start detangling from the bottom and be careful around where your natural meets the relaxed ends. And it's normal for you to have a lot of shedding, while transitioning and especially after a protective style. So don't worry you aren't going bald grin

thank you so much, this is really helpful.
I even thought I will go bald cos the shedding is much. but you have reassured me.

my mistake is that I did not prepoo before detangling, I didn't know that I can do it on a dirty hair.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:15am On Oct 20, 2017
Nzlove:

thank you so much, this is really helpful.
I even thought I will go bald cos the shedding is much. but you have reassured me.

my mistake is that I did not prepoo before detangling, I didn't know that I can do it on a dirty hair.

Lol, the shedding is normal. Pre pooing means pre shampoo. It "protects" the hair from any moisture stripping kinda thing, the shampoo might do. Your hair is also more likely to NOT tangle and be matted while washing because of the "slip" from the oil. Besides it also adds shine to the hair lol.It's all about the shampoo process going well. A little oil goes a long way though cheesy
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by sunshinepee: 4:17pm On Oct 20, 2017
[quote author=lovelygurl post=57568829]

Please help me!! ...i have had this kind of edges for too long...any remedy?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 20, 2017
[quote author=sunshinepee post=61608189][/quote]

Before going to bed spray your edges with water and massage with olive/coconut oil
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by sunshinepee: 6:25pm On Oct 20, 2017
[quote author=lovelygurl post=61608577]

Thanks dear

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (22) (Reply)

Brazilian Lady's Butt Explodes After Her Implants Were Infected (Graphic Photos) / G- Strings Or Granny Panties, Boxers or Briefs? / Tiniest Waist: Su Naing To Beat 1939 Guiness World Record (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.