Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,754 members, 7,813,487 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

A Nigerian Elected As The First Black Woman President Of Harvard Law Review - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Nigerian Elected As The First Black Woman President Of Harvard Law Review (642 Views)

Olumide Akpata Biography: 9 Things To Know About The Newly Elected NBA President / Dr. Wendy Okolo, First Black Woman To Bag A Phd In Aerospace Engineering / Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nigerian Elected As The First Black Woman President Of Harvard Law Review by Folksyharry(m): 10:01pm On Feb 28, 2017
In 130 years of existence, the Harvard Law Review had never elected a black woman as president. ImeIme Umana has changed that.

Umana, 24, is the first African-American to lead a journal that has the largest reach of any law journal in the world.
Her election was a long time coming.
The Review elected its first black man as president 27 years ago. That was former President Barack Obama.
It has had other minorities as presidents. And it has had female presidents, the first of whom was elected 41 years ago. But until now, never a black woman.
Umana was chosen by the Harvard Law Review's 92 student editors in what is widely considered the highest-ranked position that a student can have at the cut-throat law school.
The difficult election process required a thorough dissection of her work and application, and a 12-hour long deliberation of her portfolio.
The daughter of Nigerian immigrants, Umana grew up in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. She's a joint degree candidate at Harvard Law School and the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
Last summer, she interned with the public defender's office in the Bronx, and wants to serve as a public defender.
"I didn't realize [civics] could be so personal and so alive for a lot of the students," Umana told the Harvard Crimson, the school's newspaper. "It taught me sensitivity in teaching but it also taught me, like the public defender's service, to not assume certain backgrounds, certain reactions, certain lived experiences."
Her tenure begins next school year.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/28/health/harvard-law-african-american-president-trnd/index.html?sr=twCNN022817harvard-law-african-american-president-trnd0642PMVODtopLink&linkId=34978035

Re: A Nigerian Elected As The First Black Woman President Of Harvard Law Review by okunfemm(m): 10:08pm On Feb 28, 2017
congrat beauty & brillant babe
Re: A Nigerian Elected As The First Black Woman President Of Harvard Law Review by Kingsasian(m): 10:17pm On Feb 28, 2017
That is my family name.
Re: A Nigerian Elected As The First Black Woman President Of Harvard Law Review by Folksyharry(m): 10:24pm On Feb 28, 2017
I wish we can have more Nigerians doing remarkable things outside the country. Not those human traffickers, scammers and drug peddlers soiling our image everywhere they go.

Kudos to her.
Re: A Nigerian Elected As The First Black Woman President Of Harvard Law Review by CrazyMan(m): 4:36am On Mar 01, 2017
I'm happy for her...keep up the hard work dear and one day you'll be elected as the first female president of the united states.
Re: A Nigerian Elected As The First Black Woman President Of Harvard Law Review by Folksyharry(m): 7:30am On Mar 01, 2017
Obama was the first black male president and he became POTUS later. Maybe we will hear one day that Umana is running for presidency.

(1) (Reply)

Salaryscale - Find Out How Much You Are Worth. Join The Project. / Is Music Production A Good Career / CRISC Certification Training Course In India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.