Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,527 members, 7,812,641 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering (52262 Views)

Dr. Wendy Okolo, First Black Woman To Bag A Phd In Aerospace Engineering / Nigerian Lady, Wendy Okolo Becomes The First Black Woman To Bag Aerospace PHD Wi / Meet The First African Woman PHD In Aerospace Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by nwabobo: 6:59pm On Mar 19, 2019
Dr. Wendy Okolo is a Nigerian-born National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) aerospace engineer and the first Black woman to earn a doctorate in the field.

According to her profile on the organization's website, Okolo works as a special emphasis programs manager at Ames Research Center and is a research engineer in the Discovery and Systems Health Technology (DaSH) Area. Her role includes researching control systems applications, systems health monitoring and creating solutions for issues related to the designing of aircraft and spacecraft. 

She earned her B.S. and Ph.D. at the University of Texas at Arlington in 2010 and 2015. Okolo completed her dissertation research with a focus on aircraft fuel-saving methods. Her research was funded by several organizations including the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR), American Institute for Aeronautics & Astronautics (AIAA) and Texas Space Grant Consortium (TSGC).

After completing her graduate studies, she worked a summer researcher at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in the Control Design and Analysis Branch at the Air Force Research Laboratory. While there, Okolo piloted one of the world’s fastest crewed aircraft.

Per the Philadelphia Tribune, Okolo is the first Black woman to earn a doctorate in aerospace engineering at just 26 years old. Along with accomplishing the prestigious honor, she was the winner of the Black Engineer of the Year Awards (BEYA) Global Competitiveness Conference award for being the most promising engineer in the United States government.  

https://blavity.com/amp/wendy-okolo-is-the-first-black-woman-to-earn-a-doctorate-in-aerospace-engineering?__twitter_impression=true

138 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by nwabobo: 7:03pm On Mar 19, 2019
This Igbo women again?

337 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by Davash222(m): 7:05pm On Mar 19, 2019
Awon Okoros setting the pace .

156 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 19, 2019
nwabobo:
This Igbo women again?
I tire ooooo

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by Nobody: 8:20pm On Mar 19, 2019
Let's make Nigeria great again...
Let's unite and shun tribalistic comments.. wink

One Nigeria.!!

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by DearDotun: 9:58pm On Mar 19, 2019
I like her boobs - well spaced. Now I understand the reason for a degree in aerospace wink

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by OboOlora(f): 9:59pm On Mar 19, 2019
Beauty[s][/s] and brain

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by mcharles(m): 9:59pm On Mar 19, 2019
Igbo amaka

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by dipopooo(m): 9:59pm On Mar 19, 2019
DearDotun:
I like her boobs - well spaced. Now I understand the reason for a degree in aerospace wink

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by 23Tunde45(m): 10:00pm On Mar 19, 2019
Okoro amaka

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by Nobody: 10:00pm On Mar 19, 2019
DearDotun:

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by CuntBobby: 10:01pm On Mar 19, 2019
Igbo Amaka

51 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by toyosiabayomi96: 10:01pm On Mar 19, 2019
hmmnn Phd @ 26.. Make she con break the record in 9ja na ASUU strike alone go finish her

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by Nigeriaismine: 10:02pm On Mar 19, 2019
Igbo Amaka

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by Angelawhite(m): 10:02pm On Mar 19, 2019
Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by lordraiden(m): 10:02pm On Mar 19, 2019
Tribalism just full here ...nothing else

3 Likes

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by oyi1(m): 10:03pm On Mar 19, 2019
Igbo kwenu!!
Igbos making Nigeria great since 18BC
Afonja you see Una mate??

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by Nobody: 10:03pm On Mar 19, 2019
DearDotun:
Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by idonhammer: 10:03pm On Mar 19, 2019
Ndigbo amaka

116 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by ubee(m): 10:03pm On Mar 19, 2019
mcharles:
Igbo amaka
Yoruba amaka

10 Likes

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by basmur(m): 10:04pm On Mar 19, 2019
Nice accomplishment dear...

5 Likes

Re: Wendy Okolo, The First Black Woman To Earn A Doctorate In Aerospace Engineering by deepwater(f): 10:04pm On Mar 19, 2019
nice at 26!

someone here told me yesterday that his family is just okay having their own daughter being a full house wife with an almost Nigerian first class degree - whatever that means grin

papiforreal:

What's your problem with what someone chooses to do with his life after graduating?
You see, you cannot shove your choice and taste into the throat people.
I have a sister that finished at the top of her class, she narrowly missed first class but she's full house wife and have never worked in her life.
If your ambition is to build a career and work till your retire, then good luck, but don't try to look down on someone that prefer to become a make up artist after a second class upper. It's her qualifications and choice not yours. That's why it's called choice.
You that has exposure what did you invented?
I know someone working in oil company that quit to start his own business and I know another that quit banking sector to flaunt his own printing business.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A White Lady Captured Falling Asleep While Taking Customers’ Orders(pics,vid) / Nigerian Family Members Who Are All Doctors (Photos) / Chevron To Sack 6,750 Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.