Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

How Many Times Should You See Your Doctor Throughout Your Pregnancy? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Many Times Should You See Your Doctor Throughout Your Pregnancy? (777 Views)

What Your Doctor Did Not Tell You About .diabetes. / Xcash Anthony: Save The Baby - Before You Interrupt Your Pregnancy / 5 Medical Mistakes You Can Sue Your Doctor For!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Many Times Should You See Your Doctor Throughout Your Pregnancy? by Chiditron: 9:26am On Mar 01, 2017
The World Health Organization has revised its guidelines for pregnant women: According to the organization, women should visit a doctor, midwife, or nurse at least eight times during their pregnancies, and five of those visits should take place during their third trimester.

This is a pretty significant change: the organization’s previous recommendations advised four clinical visits throughout the duration of a single pregnancy. These new guidelines also point out that qualified midwives play important roles for women who cannot afford doctor’s visits or are unable to travel to meet with their physicians.

These guidelines just might be the very thing we need to bring down the statistics surrounding maternal death rates. According to a release from the organization, over 300,000 women suffered pregnancy-related deaths last year alone. The statistics surrounding infant mortality are alarming as well: The organization reports that 2.6 million stillbirths occurred, and 2.7 million infants died within 28 days of birth.

“The new model increases maternal and fetal assessments to detect problems, improves communication between health providers and pregnant women, and increases the likelihood of positive pregnancy outcomes. It recommends pregnant women have their first contact in the first 12 weeks’ gestation, with subsequent contacts taking place at 20, 26, 30, 34, 36, 38 and 40 weeks’ gestation,” a release for this news reads.

Could more frequent medical visits be the key to reversing these stats? It’s possible: After all, seeing your doctor doesn’t just represent a chance to rule out or address complications, it may also help you better understand how to implement healthier lifestyle behaviors in your day-to-day life.

Speaking of lifestyle choices, the organization also released some additional guidelines for pregnant women. They should take daily folic acid pills, have tetanus shots, get blood sugar testing, take antibiotics (if bacteria are detected), and undergo nutritional/fitness counseling. Healthcare providers should discuss issues like smoking/drinking during pregnancy, the appropriate course of treatment for day-to-day ailments (think back pain and nausea), and HIV prevention, to name a few topics. The organization also recommends ultrasounds before 24 weeks gestation to determine gestational age and detect fetal abnormalities.

You can find a full list of the updated recommendations here http://www.womanlycare.com/pregnant-women-must-able-access-right-care-right-time-says/

For more pregnancy update please visit www.womanlycare.com

Re: How Many Times Should You See Your Doctor Throughout Your Pregnancy? by mofy1(f): 10:54am On Mar 01, 2017
I did my first scan at 13weeks and doc said madam ur baby is doing fine. Register for antenatal that same day and I was given appoint in 2month time.
Re: How Many Times Should You See Your Doctor Throughout Your Pregnancy? by gechyy2(f): 9:21am On Mar 02, 2017
mofy1:
I did my first scan at 13weeks and doc said madam ur baby is doing fine. Register for antenatal that same day and I was given appoint in 2month time.
just like WHO recommendation, the number of times you visit the doctor should be more in the 3rd trimester, guess that is why your doctor gave you that long appointment even after the appointment you will still be given one month before the next appointment at your third trimester appointments would be at 2weeks intervals then one week later on. so your 2 months appointment is still very much in line, if you experience any discomfort that is unbearable then visit your doctor at any time to complain.

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Rid Of Pimples Fast / Lady Who Was Told She Will Never Wear Shoes Again, Shares Testimony (photos) / Nairalanders, Please Help Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.