Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,366 members, 7,843,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Married Or Not - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Married Or Not (1141 Views)

Am I Really Married Or Sharing A Room With A Man? / Should I Get Married Or Buy A Range Rover / Married Or Not… You Should Read This: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Married Or Not by laamour: 7:04pm On Dec 13, 2009
NL's help me out with this my bestfriend met a guy last year she's so totally into the guy until he told her that 2yrs ago he met a lady did introduction,and trad marriage to the lady he fortunately walked away cos he discovered he didnt love her.according to him he didnt go ahead with the church and court marriage.so pls is this guy married or not .ladies in the house wld u marry a guy like that cos my friend is gaga over this guy.pls i need ur opinion undecided
Re: Married Or Not by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 13, 2009
yes he is. If he is a Nigerian, then he shd know the importance of the native law and custom. It takes precedence over the court and white wedding which some pple still see as a recent development.

if he is serious, he shd returen d bride price he paid on her.
Re: Married Or Not by CrudeOil2(m): 7:26pm On Dec 13, 2009
What a question?
Re: Married Or Not by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 13, 2009
Ujujoan:

yes he is. If he is a Nigerian, then he shd know the importance of the native law and custom. It takes precedence over the court and white wedding which some pple still see as a recent development.

if he is serious, he shd returen d bride price he paid on her.

And how is he supposed to do that?
Re: Married Or Not by Nobody: 7:46pm On Dec 13, 2009
oh ok. I guess I meant he shd collect the bride price back. Pple do dat u know, go back to her family and demand the bride price back. Its the official way of dissolving a traditional marriage.
Re: Married Or Not by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 13, 2009
Ujujoan:

oh ok. I guess I meant he shd collect the bride price back. Pple do dat u know, go back to her family and demand the bride price back. Its the official way of dissolving a traditional marriage.

Even though na 1kobo? grin grin grin
Re: Married Or Not by Nobody: 8:11pm On Dec 13, 2009
Ok if na 1kobo e fit dash dem sha!

grin

But on a more serious note, the amount is irrelevant. He has to collect it back if he's not marrying d girl again.
Re: Married Or Not by GL(f): 8:22pm On Dec 13, 2009
no, he is not married. after 2 years i think the engagement is as good as null. married people divorce without having to do any formal nullification of the traditional rites. they are free once the court says so, so i guess he's free since he wasn't legally married. however, the honourable thing to do would be to go to the other girl's family and officially tell them he is not engaged to her anymore (if he didn't do that already).
Re: Married Or Not by ruskiee(m): 9:07pm On Dec 13, 2009
How can he be married when he walked away. undecided
Re: Married Or Not by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 13, 2009
@ GL

Dont decieve urself. Traditinal marriage is as good and legal as any other marriage. @ least the customary courts recognize it.

There is nothings like null and void, except i pass throughn the nornal preocess.
Re: Married Or Not by coolier(f): 9:40pm On Dec 13, 2009
Ujujoan:

@ GL

Dont decieve urself. Traditinal marriage is as good and legal as any other marriage. @ least the customary courts recognize it.

The only legal marriage is the one performed at a Registry or authorized Church. Traditional marriage is a custom and tradition of some tribes and clan in the society. It is not binding by law and its dissolution is only handled by laymen at the customary courts.
Re: Married Or Not by posakosa(m): 9:45pm On Dec 13, 2009
la amour:

NL's help me out with this my bestfriend met a guy last year she's so totally into the guy until he told her that 2yrs ago he met a lady did introduction,and trad marriage to the lady he fortunately walked away cos he discovered he didnt love her.according to him he didnt go ahead with the church and court marriage.so pls is this guy married or not .ladies in the house wld u marry a guy like that cos my friend is gaga over this guy.pls i need your opinion undecided

Na wa ooh--- so he jilted his bride to be---- IMO, he did not get married YET because there is no legal documents showing or documenting anything.
Re: Married Or Not by Pweety4me(f): 10:09pm On Dec 13, 2009
@Post dat guy does not know wat he wants. . .y did he have 2 get so far into the relationship untill all of a sudden he realised he did not love her?
Re: Married Or Not by posakosa(m): 10:11pm On Dec 13, 2009
^^^ i know, thats just plain evil and embarrassing. He introduced himself to the girl's parents and everything like that. What madness!
Re: Married Or Not by Secretz(f): 10:25pm On Dec 13, 2009
It wouldn't have been so bad if they had just done the introduction, but traditional marriage as well? Well, all I'm gonna say is, she should be on guard emotionally and mentally. undecided
Re: Married Or Not by jejelolatu(f): 10:27pm On Dec 13, 2009
When did we get so "whiteish" in our thinking?

Traditional marraiges ar REAL.

For example, church weddings ar not recognised in d court of law if its nt backd up by a certificate from d registry, but we knw the spiritual implications of a church wedding.

The same goes for traditional marraiges, all the things exchanged during such marraiges ar symbols/evidence of d union.

Lets not deceive ourselves, the aim of traditional marraiges is to join a couple nd different spiritual steps ar taken to ensure that.

I suggest dat Mr loverman finds out how traditional marraiges ar dissolved so he cud take d neccessary steps, else he mite be physically married to ur fwend whyl spiritually married to someone else¤¤ The spiritual alwaz takes precedence over the physical.
Re: Married Or Not by posakosa(m): 10:28pm On Dec 13, 2009
Traditional/White weddings are not real WITHOUT A LEGAL DOCUMENT from the courts/Registry.
Re: Married Or Not by mamagee3(f): 11:10pm On Dec 13, 2009
@poster

Opinions about what? undecided
Re: Married Or Not by deji2009(m): 2:25am On Dec 14, 2009
undecided
Re: Married Or Not by echobee(f): 6:56am On Dec 14, 2009
na wa o
Re: Married Or Not by laamour: 10:16am On Dec 14, 2009
i just want to find out if she shld go ahead to marry him suppose he takes the rite steps to disslove the trad marriage ladies i want to know if u can marry a guy that has such issues.another thot comes to mind if the other lady refuses to disslove d trad wot dn happens
Re: Married Or Not by candyshore: 12:29pm On Dec 14, 2009
we are african traditional marriage is as good being married with or without white wedding
Re: Married Or Not by chocomillo(f): 12:32pm On Dec 14, 2009
undecided
Re: Married Or Not by Nobody: 12:41pm On Dec 14, 2009
la amour:

i just want to find out if she shld go ahead to marry him suppose he takes the rite steps to disslove the trad marriage ladies i want to know if u can marry a guy that has such issues.another thot comes to mind if the other lady refuses to disslove d trad wot dn happens

Well first of all, she has to put into consideration why he is leaving his first wife in the first place. Because as far as am concerned, she is his wife. It's like marrying a divorcee.

If its too complicated then I wont advice her to go there. There is a saying where I come from . .  'broom wey dey take sweep first wife dey for kitchen dey wait for second wife'.  I just think she should be really careful.

But then again, people do make wrong choices the first time . . .
Re: Married Or Not by GL(f): 1:09pm On Dec 14, 2009
la amour:

traditionally, i doubt that the lady has much say in such matters. afterall, men used to simply send their wives packing without any form of alimony or legal divorce proceedings. besides, many nigerian traditions are supportive of polygamy so i guess there's nothing traditionally wrong with marrying one woman after paying the bride price of another.
Re: Married Or Not by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 14, 2009
^ ^

Ok so now you are talking about polygamy. That dosent make your first wife to stop being your wife. If he wants to marry her as a second wife he should just say it.

But traditionally, he is still married to her. So if he wants to leave her, he shd do it the right way. If he is marrying someone else, then it becomes polygamy.

believe it or not, in Nigeria you dont brek up a traditional marriage 'verbally'.
Re: Married Or Not by whitelexi(m): 1:32pm On Dec 14, 2009
He is married.

If he's not interested, he should go back to the girl and her family to dessolve the whole thing and redeem his bride price.

Failure to do that exposes him to the wrath of the woman and the gods.

If that girl naked dance for am. . . na madness be dat oh grin grin grin
Re: Married Or Not by gshyne(m): 3:10pm On Dec 14, 2009
@ poster

mmm u know wat i think?
This guy is tryin to warn ur friend o if she like let her claim to be deeply madly in love but reckon the guy is tryin to make her know he can do a runner anytime. Tell ur friend to thread softly i can smell rotten fish  grin
Re: Married Or Not by r231(m): 3:45pm On Dec 14, 2009
whitelexi:

He is married.

If he's not interested, he should go back to the girl and her family to dessolve the whole thing and redeem his bride price.

Failure to do that exposes him to the wrath of the woman and the gods.

If that girl unclothed dance for am. . . na madness be dat oh grin grin grin

hmmmm grin grin grin
Re: Married Or Not by coolier(f): 2:11am On Dec 16, 2009
jejelolatu:

church weddings ar not recognised in d court of law if its nt backd up by a certificate from d registry,

posakosa:

White weddings are not real WITHOUT A LEGAL DOCUMENT from the courts/Registry.

That is not correct. Church weddings are legal if performed in [b]authorized [/b]churches, Orthodox churches like the Anglican Diocese of Nigeria, the Church of England, the Baptist Convention, Methodist and the Catholic Mission worldwide. These churches are licensed to marry. Their marriage certificate is binding under the law and can only be dissolved in the High Court of Justice.

Only Penticostal Churches(new generation churches) all over the world, that are not licensed to perform marriages require that the couple first of all be legally joined together at the Registry. A lot of people don't know this and these churches would not tell their members that they are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies. So they suggest the couple get married at the Registry first and come in for a Church blessing. The plain truth is they are not licensed to marry and the marriage certificate issued in such churches is null and void except backed by the one from the Registry.
Re: Married Or Not by mamagee3(f): 2:42am On Dec 16, 2009
Married. tongue
Re: Married Or Not by Fhemmmy: 3:14am On Dec 16, 2009
He is as single as single cld be.

All they did was fed some dudes that likes to drink ogogoro and feed those that are hungry with free food.

(1) (Reply)

17-year-old Girl Gives Birth To Baby Boy In Kirikiri / Man Impregnates Own Daughter / Family Tales: Dear Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.