Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,341 members, 7,826,352 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

I Love My Dogs! - Pets (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Love My Dogs! (55532 Views)

Threatened By A Snake, Warned By My Dogs / Pls Suggest The Type Of Local Food I Can Give To My Dogs. / High Blood Content In My Dogs Urine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Love My Dogs! by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 31, 2017
jayned:

So will you wait till her next heat? it's advisable.
ok
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 10:37am On Nov 06, 2017
It's been a while! Too busy nursing mama and pups. Ira's appetite I will say is ok. she eats twice as much as she used to but the food has to be palatable. So I use fried Titus fish to entice her. I can use 1 fish in 2 days. Meanwhile I give her a heaped tea spoon of moringa as well. Feeding her moringa is usually a struggle because the smell and taste are not exactly palatable but I read it is very good for her due to the high nutritional content.

I mix her food with the moringa and some fish in the mornings and make sure she eats it. I think moringa has really helped cos I started giving her after mating but it was less stressful then seeing as her appetite was top notch. If you have been following this thread, you will know that Ira never lost her groove except for days 54 to 58 when she was lethargic for some reason after which She got her groove back and was grooving till she dropped on day 63. The energy burst could be attributed to moringa. The very next day, she resumed grooving and has been grooving till now.

This picture was taken about 6 days after whelping.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 11:08am On Nov 06, 2017
Initially, ira was very protective of her puppies she didn't even allow me touch them anyhow( she would snap at me if I was lingering). I was scared but I had to let her know that the puppies were ours not just hers and everyday, I would make sure I had contact with them day and night.

Now she couldn't care less, it's like she is becoming a bad mom. The puppies can even be crying and she won't be bothered (I wonder what she is thinking). So we started bottle feeding them at 8days, 2 days earlier than the first litter. The content of the bottle is same as the first litter. 25ml each but just morning and evening.

When I press he nipple, I just see a drop of white milk. I wonder if that is sufficient for the puppies.

She still breast feeds but not as often. One issue is her room is quite large and the puppies are in a corner so even if I lock her in, she would find a corner without puppies and be resting.

Puppies at 1 week then puppies at 10 days.

3 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 11:14am On Nov 06, 2017
more pictures at 10days

today, they started growling and even barking a bit and they can even pee and poo on their own by now, mama only cleans up by licking the mess! (ewww).

4 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 11:24am On Nov 06, 2017
I just love the position she is lying down! (she is not a bad mom afterall)

Sleeping on duty! so adorable.

4 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 1:23pm On Nov 10, 2017
now this my seem like a fluke but still worthy of documenting. Remember how I told you I always mix Ira's food with moringa? well I didn't have fish so I decided not to mix her food with the moringa cos I know she won't even touch it. She ate her food like that but all day, I didn't understand her. she was weak all day and was lying down most of the time which was very unusual. it now dawned on me that it's probably because I didn't give her her moringa dose I now decided to give her glucose.

The next day, I made sure I gave her her moringa and she was back to her old hyper self. Like I said, it may have been a fluke but well, I don't want to confirm the hard way cos I don't wanna see her in that state again.

In fact this happened the day I took that sleeping on duty picture.

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by miremoses(m): 2:46pm On Nov 10, 2017
Wow. Just read from the first page to the last. All I can say is, you are a true animal lover, especially being a lady. I have contacts of people who are in need of a cauc, males precisely, it all depends on the price tags you put them.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 8:33pm On Nov 10, 2017
So the puppies are 2 weeks old today. like the last litter, we did the ears and 1st deworm today. For the ear cropping, I chose colours that would help me tell the puppies apart when feeding them and for other situations as necessary.(it will only last for about a week though.

I chose the rubber ring tying method because I feel it's more humane (I don't like seeing blood) and also because it worked for the first litter. I don't think it even hurts cos some didn't even cry. I have seen Incredible Dr Pol a vet I watch on nat geo wild use this method to crop a pigs toe that was growing abnormally. Though his own rubber ring was bigger and stronger of course. (it was simply incredible). The tying will stop the supply of blood to that area and it would fall eventually.

Do you see the brush shrinking?

2 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 8:53am On Nov 15, 2017
miremoses:
Wow. Just read from the first page to the last. All I can say is, you are a true animal lover, especially being a lady. I have contacts of people who are in need of a cauc, males precisely, it all depends on the price tags you put them.

Thanks for your comment!
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 15, 2017
Please educate me on the rubber band cropping
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 9:15pm On Nov 15, 2017
So this picture of one of Ira's pups from the first litter just came in. it was taken when she was 8months and a week old. She is Ira's replica.

5 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 9:25pm On Nov 15, 2017
kingdaro:
Please educate me on the rubber band cropping

I just observed, I didn't do it myself. The guy used 2rubber bands for each ear. He just twisted it for about 4 to 5 times. But I strongly advise u don't do it yourself.

The ears will begin to fall in 2 weeks time after the tying.

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by DaDevin: 9:52pm On Nov 15, 2017
jayned:
So this picture of one of Ira's pups from the first litter just came in. it was taken when she was 8months and a week old. She is Ira's replica.
I will be needing a female puppy from Ira next year pls, just keep us updated smiley
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Babatunde360: 9:41pm On Nov 16, 2017
Are the puppies still available
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 6:06pm On Nov 17, 2017
Babatunde360:
Are the puppies still available

Yes! some are still available.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 5:15am On Nov 18, 2017
The puppies are 3 weeks old today!

Glo network has been crappy so I was not able to upload as much as I wanted.

Ira and I are now partners we have an understanding. When I feed the puppies, she doesn't come for the puppy food but would rather sit in a corner waiting to clean them up after I feed them. She definitely knows her boundaries.

I started them on the semi solids today and they love it.

Some of their ears have fallen and recognising them is somehow harder.

I named one slow Mo. because he is very slow and the smallest in the litter. He does not like eating much and the others always chance him. So I try to balance this by feeding him first and handing him over to mama to suck first. He is picking up though not as I expected considering my effort. I had one as such from the first litter but she grew to be smarter and more agile than the rest.

I am sure u can spot him in the pictures.

2 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 6:45am On Nov 19, 2017
In the course of these 3 weeks, I have changed their meal or the consistency 3 times and anytime I did that, I noticed their poop got kind of runny. It got me scared and I was even ready to get jawaclox but then I read a timely post on this issue which said runny poop could be associated with change of diet so I decided to wait for a day since they were very active and were not lethargic. Well I didn't need medication. Their poop gets normal after a day of changing their meal.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Nobody: 10:09am On Nov 19, 2017
Wow i just read from the first page to the last.. and i'm so impressed..

I love the way you love ur dogs cos i love dogs too...

I really plan to get one the moment me and hubby move to our own house..

Please don't stop updating ..youve stopped updating on Zeus
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 3:04pm On Nov 19, 2017
booqee:
Wow i just read from the first page to the last.. and i'm so impressed..

I love the way you love ur dogs cos i love dogs too...

I really plan to get one the moment me and hubby move to our own house..

Please don't stop updating ..youve stopped updating on Zeus

Oh dear! I got teary when I saw u mention Zeus because in all fairness I feel he also feels neglected. the truth is zeus is too stubborn and has been caged since we mated Ira. We only release him in the mornings for him to stretch his legs.

The last time I released him, it took me over 20 mins (it may have been less but it felt like an hour) to put him back. He was just doing boji boji with me as hin don see me finish. He gets me shouting his name. neighbours will be wondering who or what Zeus is seeing that his name preceeds him So if my hubby is not around, tough luck to Zeus.

For the period he is released, he has to be supervised because we have not Zeus proofed the house in a while. He chews all and sundry ranging from shoes, mopsticks, plants,buckets etc.

Whenever he is released, he puts Ira on edge cos she gets very protective of her pups and I wouldn't want any fights to ensue cos separating them will be...

Zeus' weight gain has not been impressive so we feel less activity will put that in check. He just keeps growing tall with lovely hair and colour though.

meanwhile he cracked the screen of this my phone(and I am yet to replace it) while I was trying to take a picture of him (he is yet to be forgiven)

Any time I walk by his cage, he always makes a puppy dog face (forgetting he is now mature) , it feels me with so much guilt that I look away.

He will be 12 months old by 1st December so I will post his picture then. Meanwhile, I just took this of him in his cage. it didn't really capture the face.

5 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 7:46pm On Nov 27, 2017
The puppies turned 4 weeks on Friday. They are all doing great with the exception of slow Mo! He is still not eating on his own and when I feed him even if it's little, his belly bulges out.

he is active and even picks fights but his appetite is terrible and his weight not like the others. So I had to revert to feeding him complan and egg (I hope he catches up fast).

I noticed they had loose stool so I got jawaclox and would administer 3ml for each pup morning and night for 3 days.

Slow month is really breaking my heart maybe he needs a name change something positive. I will call him hope.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Love My Dogs! by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 27, 2017
Lol maybe its the name u gave him (slow mo) that's causing the growth. Abeg change the name joor angry

3 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by twentyk(m): 11:23am On Nov 29, 2017
Can't belive I read all through.... I know I love dogs though but haven't really gave it a shot... Me self I still dey hustle and I never cash out so I cannot come and be starving my dogs.... But a big kudos to the op... You are (words fail me)...

Shout out to every body following and please make sure you can afford to take care of your pets before having one... As you can see from the op say no be beans.... Na real work...

As far as Im concerned the pet I can manage with less hassle is a Goat.. Those ones no need to much wahala like that... Eat anything and if dem vex me I go kill am chop......

Great work op.... Oh very soon y'all will order goats from me.... Confirm goats ooo, Goat wey dey shapraapram.... Not those aje pakoes you see around....

4 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 1:30pm On Nov 29, 2017
[quote author=twentyk post=62817901]Can't belive I read all through.... I know I love dogs though but haven't really gave it a shot... Me self I still dey hustle and I never cash out so I cannot come and be starving my dogs.... But a big kudos to the op... You are (words fail me)...

Shout out to every body following and please make sure you can afford to take care of your pets before having one... As you can see from the op say no be beans.... Na real work...

As far as Im concerned the pet I can manage with less hassle is a Goat.. Those ones no need to much wahala like that... Eat anything and if dem vex me I go kill am chop......

Great work op.... Oh very soon y'all will order goats from me.... Confirm goats ooo, Goat wey dey shapraapram.... Not those aje pakoes you see around....

Lolll. I love goats too but I don't have where to keep them.
And thanks for the kind words.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 1:49pm On Nov 29, 2017
The puppies will be 5 weeks old in 2 days time. By now they feed very little on breast milk because what comes out is barely sufficient so I have separated them from the mama except for a those occasions when I feed them and she walks in pretending to clean up but then eye balling the puppies food. By the way, her cleaning is now very sloppy and I have to do most of it myself.

Some days back, I found Ira lying on her back with no care in the world just taking in the cool breeze, I went in, grabbed my phone and took the picture below. She was still that way so I decided to explore. The breasts look larger I thought that meant more milk but that is not the case when I pressed them, I hardly saw any milk. I also counted the breast and they were 9. I was confused and kept looking for the other one without success.

I thought Ira was special but when I googled it, I saw it's a normal occurrence.

3 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 29, 2017
jayned:
The puppies will be 5 weeks old in 2 days time. By now they feed very little on breast milk because what comes out is barely sufficient so I have separated them from the mama except for a those occasions when I feed them and she walks in pretending to clean up but then eye balling the puppies food. By the way, her cleaning is now very sloppy and I have to do most of it myself.

Some days back, I found Ira lying on her back with no care in the world just taking in the cool breeze, I went in, grabbed my phone and took the picture below. She was still that way so I decided to explore. The breasts look larger I thought that meant more milk but that is not the case when I pressed them, I hardly saw any milk. I also counted the breast and they were 9. I was confused and kept looking for the other one without success.

I thought Ira was special but when I googled it, I saw it's a normal occurrence.
lol i dont know why i like this picture. Its a funny sight when i see dogs in this position like as if to say "i cannot come and kill myself jare"

2 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 7:34pm On Dec 01, 2017
So I typed this long epistle and there was a glitch and I lost it all. It's all good cos I don't get to bore you all.

Zeus is 1 today. Ira will be 3years old within the month and the puppies are 5 weeks old.

See pictures below. First 2 are of Zeus. I feel protected whenever the dogs are on the prowl.

2 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by 14teenK: 8:28pm On Dec 01, 2017
They look really well fed and gallant... Great work
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 5:20pm On Dec 03, 2017
The puppies at 4 weeks. Those blue eyes are to die for.

2 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 5:27pm On Dec 03, 2017
Puppies at 5 weeks.

Re: I Love My Dogs! by countsparrow: 6:38pm On Dec 03, 2017
Please Jayned, hiw do you feed the moringa... Do you blend the green leaves, or you allow to dry then you blen or what... I have trees of moringa in my house, but i hardly make use of it... Your dogs look good, i have a Cauc too at 11weeks, and i am surprised at how fast they grow...
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 9:25pm On Dec 03, 2017
countsparrow:
Please Jayned, hiw do you feed the moringa... Do you blend the green leaves, or you allow to dry then you blen or what... I have trees of moringa in my house, but i hardly make use of it... Your dogs look good, i have a Cauc too at 11weeks, and i am surprised at how fast they grow...

Please note that I do not feed my other dog Zeus moringa because I don't know how it will affect his weight and he has too much energy he does not even get to use. I only gave Ira while she was pregnant and while breast feeding.

I learnt that moringa can only help with weight gain in malnourished dogs/humans.

However, I allow the leaves dry then I pound it till powdery.

Is your cauc male or female?
Re: I Love My Dogs! by countsparrow: 11:02pm On Dec 03, 2017
jayned:

Please note that I do not feed my other dog Zeus moringa because I don't know how it will affect his weight and he has too much energy he does not even get to use. I only gave Ira while she was pregnant and while breast feeding.

I learnt that moringa can only help with weight gain in malnourished dogs/humans.

However, I allow the leaves dry then I pound it till powdery.

Is your cauc male or female?

Female... Just 12weeks old, i have a female Rottweiler too, just mated her this week, so i am considering giving her in little quantity...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

330-Year-Old Male Land Turtle In Ogbomoso (Photos) / A Dog Made FRSC Officials Free The Boss In Edo State / A Lion, A Bear & Tiger Rescued From Abusive Owners, Bonded Together As Siblings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.