Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers (26716 Views)

Your Phone Password Can Kill You / Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy / If Your Email Address Is On This List Of 711,000,000, Change Your Password Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by daamazing(m): 2:46am On Mar 05, 2017
[img]https://2.bp..com/-I_7NfaGOYgU/WLtmPPOJ9KI/AAAAAAAAAOo/L3I4hwtr-ScG55CB9Ku6jqW3POGb6yQ2ACLcB/s1600/How-Hackers-Get-Your-Data-and-How-to-Prevent-It.jpg[/img]
We live in a world filled with lot of cyber-crime.Have you ever been hacked? Am sure you'll agree with me that been hacked comes with a terrible feeling of being insecured. Bank account details, or mails been released to the cyber world. If you’ve been a victim of cyber-hacking, there’s a high probability that the hacker used one of theses methods outlined below.

Trying common passwords
The first thing a hacker tries when trying to snoop into your personal accounts is 'trying random common passwords'. It may sound silly but most average internet users still use passwords that consists of few letters. Although, trying common passwords are not always a hit, but they're worth trying and if it the hacker makes a hit, he'll just probably sit back and pop a little whiskey.

Using repeated passwords
Should a hacker still fail to guess a password, they’ll have to start breaking out some true hacking skill – but perhaps not much. Most people use the same password on multiple sites, and many use just one password for everything. Hackers know this, and they also know that many sites have weak security.

Using the information found while reviewing your social networking profiles, a hacker may be able to identify sites you visit. Some are sure to be heavily guarded, e.g Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. However, in a technical sense, nothing is really guarded in the cyber world. If Yahoo and other Top IT companies can be hacked, then real internet security is just a mere dream. So if the hacker visits a low guarded site, he extracts your account information from the site and unluckily for you, you happen to share the same account login information with the site the hacker;s trying to get in, thats an easy way of saying "You have been hacked".

Phishing
This is the one of the most commonly used tools by cyber-crimetivists. It is the most commonly used method because it actually depends on how the hacker tricks an unsuspecting internet user to follow up on a link and input login details into the site. This login details is now stored on the server, and the hacker can access later on and input on the desired website. Common examples are fake facebook login pages.
[img]https://3.bp..com/---HjnlajCAo/WLtjF6f8YfI/AAAAAAAAAOc/IuhBwBILy-swlH-Zgf1pni5wM3Xl4ntzwCLcB/s640/Facebook-phishing-page.jpg[/img]

Keylogger attack
This hacking tool is very similar to Phishing and is generally spread through malware infection. The victim is usually trapped into installing a keylogger on his/her PC/Laptop by clicking on an attachment is sent to victim email. The moment you download the attachment, it scans through your browser. Once installed, the keylogger records all your Internet activity which is than relayed back to the command and control servers.

BruteForce attack
Brute force is about overpowering the computer’s defenses by using repetition. Brute force attack is a random trial and error method hack repeated till the password is finally cracked, However some websites or companies have a trial limit. For example, If a user inputs a wrong password more than 3 times, the system automtically locks out the user for a specific period of time; thereby, reducing the probability of hackers gaining something out of bruteforcing. Hackers randomly keep applying names and numbers to crack password through this pattern. Sometimes, a lot of guesswork is also used to decode password. Arithmetic numbers, birth date, pet’s name, favourite actor’s name are the password that users commonly use.

Rainbow table
This method requires a good knowledge of computers and coding.Rainbow Tables are basically huge sets of precomputed tables filled with hash values that are pre-matched to possible plaintext passwords. The Rainbow Tables essentially allow hackers to reverse the hashing function to determine what the plaintext password might be. It’s possible for two different passwords to result in the same hash so it’s not important to find out what the original password was, just as long as it has the same hash. The plaintext password may not even be the same password that was created by the user, but as long as the hash is matched, then it doesn’t matter what the original password was.
This allow for passwords to be cracked in a very short amount of time compared with brute-force methods, however, the trade-off is that it takes a lot of storage (sometimes Terabytes) to hold the Rainbow Tables themselves, Storage these days is plentiful and cheap so this is not a big issue for hackers.

This article was culled from techredirector.com
link to article:http://www.techredirector.com/2017/03/6-ways-your-password-can-be-cracked-by.html
Techredirector | TechBlog

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Nicolabs(m): 4:22am On Mar 05, 2017
coolHmmm You RightHmmm You RightHmmm You Right
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Nobody: 6:08am On Mar 05, 2017
From a security point of view. There is no password that can't be cracked. Its just the length of time required to do it it that should be considered.
For example
6e4$2&3!-5 safe combo will take very long time to crack even with a brute force attack.
amaka123 or mike1987 quite weak and easy to guess.

12 Likes

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by mamapidgin: 7:41am On Mar 05, 2017
WhatIsMyPassword? is what I used as password

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by 3RNEST(m): 7:41am On Mar 05, 2017
Followinq
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by crazyABO(m): 7:42am On Mar 05, 2017
Abegi shocked
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by llakes4real: 7:42am On Mar 05, 2017
Nice one! uxy33624 come and see!
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Iamwrath: 7:44am On Mar 05, 2017
Or simply beating the shyttt out of you until you tell your password

Then social engineering

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Senorprinz(m): 7:48am On Mar 05, 2017
making sense tools

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Iseoluwani: 7:48am On Mar 05, 2017
megrimor:
Ever heard of that saying.... What you chase so much, you'll get tired of it when it comes
Well I know one man like that who ran for presidency of one country in 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015, he won it... But now in 2017 that same man is running away from presidency..

How does this contribute to the topic

5 Likes

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by MuyiRano(m): 7:49am On Mar 05, 2017
I've changed all my passwords to "incorrect", so that anytime i forget and enter a wrong password it will always remind me my password is "incorrect"

7 Likes

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by TreasuredLeidy(f): 7:51am On Mar 05, 2017
.Hackers r liable to die young

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by zinachidi(m): 7:53am On Mar 05, 2017
my password used to be QWERTY... Then i changed it to YTREWQ.

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by ghettowriter(m): 7:53am On Mar 05, 2017
Our passwords are truly not save.

Its adviced we change our passwords time to time and also make your password a bit complicated to hack by mixing numbers, signs and latters.

Furthermore, try to update your browsers and apps whenever an update is available. The security of a browser gets updated with every update and this curtails the activities of hackers and viruses

Visit www.jozavic. just for the fun of it smiley

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by JOACHINpedro: 7:54am On Mar 05, 2017
U Mean My Stolen A T M Card Could Be Hacked?!
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Namdeenero(m): 7:59am On Mar 05, 2017
Keylogger.. kentro level shii cool cool

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by shikshark: 8:03am On Mar 05, 2017
all my passwords have a space in between, some even have double spaces, bruteforce should go ahead and beat that

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by opalu: 8:11am On Mar 05, 2017
Okay
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by persius555(m): 8:12am On Mar 05, 2017
Most organisations in Nigeria foolishly migrate to wireless based networks with poorly guarded vendor network equipments with vulnerability flaws widespread all over the internet.
With mordern day keyloggers, to inject and compromise most of these wireless networks, you don't actually need users complicity because it's already compromised.

Speaking from experience

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by persius555(m): 8:12am On Mar 05, 2017
TreasuredLeidy:

Says who

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by TreasuredLeidy(f): 8:16am On Mar 05, 2017
persius555:

Says who
are u 1 of dem?
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 8:31am On Mar 05, 2017
Few people in Nigeria are worth the stress of being hacked

5 Likes

Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by yusuf99(m): 8:33am On Mar 05, 2017
D poor guy is simple feeding his igbosentrim
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Electronzeez(m): 8:35am On Mar 05, 2017
I use conc yoruba words as password and spell it in a very wrong way .You can never guess my password except with a keylogger.
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by supereagle(m): 9:01am On Mar 05, 2017
Gmail doesn't permit frequent password change like Yahoomail.
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by sayittome(m): 9:19am On Mar 05, 2017
TreasuredLeidy:
Are they? Can you prove it?
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by sirvvy: 9:21am On Mar 05, 2017
Always had this fantasy of becoming a Hacker , after watching diff series of hacking movies..
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Juchii(m): 9:21am On Mar 05, 2017
I want to learn hacking but the thing is hard ooo. I started from social engineering especially phishing because I know how educated and wise my people is grin. grin I just need help from any angle pls cry cry. I will use it for a good purpose, probably ethical hacker. I am already trying my best but I need help
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by Juchii(m): 9:26am On Mar 05, 2017
sirvvy:
Always had this fantasy of becoming a Hacker , after watching diff series of hacking movies..
hacking is more than what u watch in any movie. It takes them two seconds grin grin. Even a magician can't use two seconds to hack my password
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by kvngjesse(m): 9:45am On Mar 05, 2017
Hehe i used swatmzizieeizizmtaws2@0@1@6 if its too long i leave it at d middle
Re: 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers by persius555(m): 10:00am On Mar 05, 2017
TreasuredLeidy:

are u 1 of dem?

Ain't we all? In our minds we want to think we are safe and secure but we seek the vulnerability of others out of our subconscious curious mind. Looking over ATM users shoulder to guess the passcode is a step away from hacking.Pondering over your boyfriend's shoulder as he punches his password into that phone.

Hacking itself is born out of curiosity. So, ain't we all at one time or the other curious about these things.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Glo Gives Out N35m Benz G-Wagon To Promo Winner (Photos) / 11 Features To Look Out For When Buying Android Phones / Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.