Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy (17403 Views)

10 Ways Your Phone Can Kill You, Be Careful And Take Note Of Them / Stop Using Whatsapp If You Care About Your Privacy / NCC Fines Airtel, 9mobile N136m For Violating Industry Regulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by akeentech(m): 3:15am On Aug 04, 2018
Smartphones have turned out to be ubiquitous, prompting a torrent of ways the smartphone violates your privacy. While you can install privacy focused applications to improve the situation.

#1. Photo Location Metadata

Did you realize that by default, each photo you take on Android smartphone and iOS has location information that’s embedded inside it? This means that every single photo you take with your smartphone has the potential to reveal your Online Photos and Personal Privacy;

You love sharing your best photos online, however how much are you truly revealing to the world? You could be sharing more than you might think with strangers.

To disable this tagging on Android phone, open the Camera app. Click the three dots Menu button then choose Settings. Then disable the Save location options here.

For iOS, navigate to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Choose Camera from the list and select Never to disable the location tagging.

#2. Secret Screen Recording

It's a general fear that applications are using your smartphone’s microphone to record all that you say. Be that as it may, shouldn’t something be said about apps recording what’s on your screen?

Unfortunately, this mobile equivalent to that of keylogging is a reality.

You can imagine the kind of damage this could cause. A Lot of information appears on your phone’s screen each day that you would rather not share with others. Embarrassing web searches, indecent photos Private text conversations, passwords , and the like could all be out in the open.

#3. App Permissions

iOS and Android phone permissions can be abused in different ways. Try not to give your phone a chance to leak your data to advertisers. Here is how you can take control of application permissions. Whenever apps need to use sensitive information for instance your microphone or location, you have to grant permission first.

You may let an app use your phone microphone to record voice messages, however it is secretly listening to the TV shows you are watching to enable advertisers build a profile around you. Or then again applications with access to your contacts could upload or transfer them to spam lists.

#4. Browser Tracking

Your phone is not immune to the unavoidable tracking that happens everywhere throughout the web. Whenever you visit sites, they gather information about your location.

The convenience of location tracking comes at a precarious cost: your safety and privacy, operating system, browser and the like. Social media buttons and Tracking beacons keep an eye on you and watch out for you, regardless of where you go.
These Android applications are greatly popular; however they likewise trade off your privacy and security. If you have them installed, you might need to uninstall.

#5. Sensors in Your Phone

Your phone contains a huge amount of sensors that measure physical data about the device. These include:

The accelerometer: This can gauge where your telephone is pointing, how quick you’re moving, and your steps for fitness applications.
Gyroscope: This tracks little motions. This is essential for panoramic photos and for few games.
A magnetometer: This tells your telephone which way is north when using compass apps or map.
GPS: This clearly gives your phone a chance to figure out of where you are on the planet.
Other small sensors: similar to the proximity sensor to detect when your telephone is by your ear, or the surrounding light sensor for auto-brightness.
A variety of applications (and your gadget’s OS) can access these sensors for different purposes. As said above with permissions, there’s no telling which applications log this data and use it against you. Utilizing the accelerometer, applications can tell how regularly your telephone sits still, or when you have it in your pocket.

#6. Free Public Wi-Fi Networks

Open and free Wi-Fi networks are available all over. While they’re positively helpful, you may love using open and free Wi-Fi – however so do hackers.

You can shield yourself from a some of these by using a VPN, however they’re in many cases blocked on these networks. In the event that you use the Wi-Fi in any case since you don’t have a choice, you’re opening yourself up to privacy leaks.

#7. Mobile Service Provider Tracking

We’ve discussed the ways the smartphone violates your privacy from your OS and apps, however do not forget about your wireless network service provider, either. Companies like Verizon, MTN, Airtel and AT&T can learn information about you in light of how you use their services.

For instance, which cell towers you connect with can reveal where you frequently go or where you are. Like your home ISP, your mobile service provider likewise has access to your internet browsing through its mobile data.

It’s one issue when free services infringe your privacy, but shouldn’t something be said about the service you’re paying a lot of money for?

Source: https://www.akeentech.com/ways-the-smartphone-violates-your-privacy/

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by akeentech(m): 7:54am On Aug 04, 2018
It’s one issue when free services infringe your privacy, but shouldn’t something be said about the service you’re paying a lot of money for?

See my signature for this free opportunity
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by idongesit88: 8:30pm On Aug 04, 2018
next please

2 Likes

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Nehyooh(m): 8:32pm On Aug 04, 2018
Noted !
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by vedaxcool(m): 8:33pm On Aug 04, 2018
At this rate people may return to 1g phone

4 Likes

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by yoyouyou(f): 8:33pm On Aug 04, 2018
Thumbnail

1 Like

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by godwinkessi: 8:33pm On Aug 04, 2018
grin
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Bruemath(m): 8:35pm On Aug 04, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by ClassicMG(m): 8:36pm On Aug 04, 2018
akeentech:

so true, its very annoying
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 04, 2018
Nokia 101 is your only true friend.
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by ItzBIM(m): 8:37pm On Aug 04, 2018
We don’t care
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 04, 2018
I don't give a shyt really, There nothing incriminating on my phone & definitely nothing that I don't want anybody to see, besides there is no idiot in Africa who keeps his data & location always on. That's like hard-line stupid

4 Likes

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Youngzubi(m): 8:38pm On Aug 04, 2018
so should i throw my MTN simcard away?

maybe if i start using memory card they won't have access to my privacy again rubbish

so why is it that people get lost with their phone without anybody knowing their where about,its one of the biggest and top advert on AIT (missing person) why can't the network provider provide their where about rubbisssss!!!

6 Likes

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by stano2(m): 8:39pm On Aug 04, 2018
Well.. There are a so many problems in this country to start thinking about this
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 04, 2018
grin

3 Likes

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by AreaFada2: 8:45pm On Aug 04, 2018
Yep.
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 04, 2018
I bot a new phone and signed in. All my data on my former browser appeared in the new phone fear catch me

2 Likes

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by nlandgrandfada(m): 8:51pm On Aug 04, 2018
fact

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 04, 2018
yeyerolling:
I bot a new phone and signed in. All my data on my former browser appeared in the new phone fear catch me
How old are you?

6 Likes

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 04, 2018
There is no privacy with "smart phones"... you want privacy, get a vintage phone.
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by pocohantas(f): 8:58pm On Aug 04, 2018
majekdom2:
There is no privacy with "smart phones"... you want privacy, get a vintage phone.

Like mine? smiley
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by HotMario: 8:58pm On Aug 04, 2018
When you don't read terms and conditions you give a lot of information out.

You want to be secured, use a torch light phone.

1 Like

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by HotMario: 8:59pm On Aug 04, 2018
yeyerolling:

Your Gmail has more information more than you know

4 Likes

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Nobody: 9:00pm On Aug 04, 2018
4601CE:
How old are you?
not ur mate. Not everyone is tech savy

5 Likes

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by bluefilm: 9:05pm On Aug 04, 2018
My old Nokia 3310 has none of these issues.
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Abortedfetus(m): 9:05pm On Aug 04, 2018
Jiang:
I don't give a shyt really, There nothing incriminating on my phone & definitely nothing that I don't want anybody to see, besides there is no idiot in Africa who keeps his data & location always on. That's like hard-line stupid
shut up..

4 Likes

Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by ahmedbanj(m): 9:05pm On Aug 04, 2018
We must still use it anyways!
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 04, 2018
yeyerolling:
not ur mate. Not everyone is tech savy
Lol
Re: Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy by Amberon11: 9:16pm On Aug 04, 2018
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Track My Stolen Iphone 13pls / What Are The Prons And Cons Of Non-removable Smartphones / Airtel BB Subscription Slashed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.