Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,950 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application (39456 Views)

Who Has Completed FRSC Job Application For Degree Holders / Best CV Format / CV Format For A Customer Service Job Application (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by nmreports: 8:12pm On Mar 06, 2017
Jobs have evolved, HR has evolved and the world generally is evolving. Change is something that is constant and we must all endeavor to ensure that we are up-to-date with trends in other for us to thrive in our job search or career aspirations.

CV/ Resume contents have moved from story telling to ''contents''. By ''contents'' I meant substance.
Figures and results of who you are, what you have achieved and what you are able to do.
Meetings and general office discussions are now dependent on data and figures rather than words.

Having this perspective would help you generally so when next you are applying for a customer service role, let it look like something below:

If you have this sort of resume and I can assure you that you would stand out. However, do not copy everything as it is. This is just an insight for you and ensure it is streamlined to suit your purposes.

NOTE: The courses you would list should be the ones that are expressly relevant with the job applying for.

Read How To Write A Winning Resume Generally Here: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/08/how-to-write-winning-resume.html

MICHAEL BOLARINWA
Plot 2, Maryland Crescent, Maryland | +23480679650**
michael@somedomain.com | Social Media URL

Computer Science Graduate
New graduate of NUC-accredited bachelor's degree in Computer science. With an unwavering interest in data base administration and web development. An internship experience and knowledge of computing theories, principles, specifications and standards. Plan to earn CCNA certification in few months.

Demonstrated 3D skills with the ability to design site layouts from concept through completion.

Knowledge of blogger, wordpress, C++ etc.

Education & Credentials
University Degree (2:2), XYZ University | Sapele, Lagos.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, 120/132 credits completed

Honors:
Honors (Computer Science Society), Dean’s List (2 semesters)

Activities:
Member, Nigerian Society of Network Administrators and Student membership CCNA.
Project Coordinator, Idea Hub (Personal project with friends); Planning Committee.

Course Highlight:
Trigonometry
Web design and development
Programming Practicum
Computer Vision
Computational photography
Advanced programming languages
Robotic Manipulations
Signal processing

Professional Experience:
ABC company | Lagos, Nigeria
Intern, IT Department, 2014 to 2017

Responsibilities:
Assisted IT officers on several key projects involving network installation and re-design and improvements.

Handled cost-of-materials estimations, report and document tracking, project documentation and general supervision.
Gained experience in CCNA, Wifi connectivity.

Skills:
Web design, web development, network installation and design, data administration and Microsoft tools.

Source: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2017/03/example-of-graduate-trainee-cv-resume.html

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by nmreports: 8:12pm On Mar 06, 2017
Hope you find it useful.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by Selfhood: 6:18am On Mar 07, 2017
nmreports:
Hope you find it useful.

Yes useful. Nailed it again.

3 Likes

Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by nmreports: 5:29am On Mar 08, 2017
Selfhood:

Yes useful. Nailed it again.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by sexymamatee(f): 3:01pm On Mar 08, 2017
Thank You
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by doyouknowjohnny: 6:19am On Mar 09, 2017
just to be clear because I'm eager to learn..under the subtitle RESPONSIBILITY you used past tense like ASSISTED despite the fact that you stated under EXPERIENCE as currently working in ABC from 2014 to present.
please would love to know why..Thanks

2 Likes

Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by nmreports: 6:52am On Mar 09, 2017
doyouknowjohnny:
just to be clear because I'm eager to learn..under the subtitle RESPONSIBILITY you used past tense like ASSISTED despite the fact that you stated under EXPERIENCE as currently working in ABC from 2014 to present.

Very smart observation.
My bad. It shouldn't be 2014 to present.
Corrected.

2 Likes

Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by aysnoopy(m): 7:47am On Mar 09, 2017
Nice write-up
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by brushesz: 12:57pm On Mar 09, 2017
Acquire certifications and make your CV more attractive.
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by opethom(m): 12:57pm On Mar 09, 2017
No be where you see vacancy you go carry CV go? Rat Don eat Veekid CV more than 3 times... When 4.3million Don loose job under babu... Abeg let me drink my gari

1 Like

Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by MrGreenMavro: 12:57pm On Mar 09, 2017
cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 09, 2017
Mynd44 dey like this kind post grin grin grin

Up Mynd44
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by Uhreme: 1:01pm On Mar 09, 2017
doyouknowjohnny:

*sub-heading Mr.
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by AngelicBeing: 1:04pm On Mar 09, 2017
Keneking:
Mynd44 dey like this kind post grin grin grin

Up Mynd44
l disagree, Mynd44 wont like this post because he is a shareholder on Nairaland, the last time l saw his bank account, he has 560 Billion Dollars, 890 trillion pounds, 764 trillion euros and 900 Billion Naira wink
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by prettyprecy(f): 1:22pm On Mar 09, 2017
if you know any female accountant with 2-3 years experience that lives in UYO and is in need of a job. kindly ask such person to send her cv to jobs@fadacresources.com
salary is within the range of 80,000 - 100,000.

Thanks.
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 09, 2017
Very useful!
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by gohzieh(m): 1:34pm On Mar 09, 2017
nmreports:

MICHAEL BOLARINWA

you mentioned Social media url.. for instance i should add my facebook url there? is it necesary now?
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by Chigorkizz(m): 1:38pm On Mar 09, 2017
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by mikegeo(m): 1:52pm On Mar 09, 2017
gohzieh:

you mentioned Social media url.. for instance i should add my facebook url there? is it necesary now?
It should your LinkedIn address, Facebook is not supported.
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by samuelezekiel(m): 1:57pm On Mar 09, 2017
nmreports:
Jobs have evolved, HR has evolved and the world generally is evolving. Change is something that is constant and we must all endeavor to ensure that we are up-to-date with trends in other for us to thrive in our job search or career aspirations.

CV/ Resume contents have moved from story telling to ''contents''. By ''contents'' I meant substance.
Figures and results of who you are, what you have achieved and what you are able to do.
Meetings and general office discussions are now dependent on data and figures rather than words.

Having this perspective would help you generally so when next you are applying for a customer service role, let it look like something below:

If you have this sort of resume and I can assure you that you would stand out. However, do not copy everything as it is. This is just an insight for you and ensure it is streamlined to suit your purposes.

NOTE: The courses you would list should be the ones that are expressly relevant with the job applying for.

Read How To Write A Winning Resume Generally Here: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/08/how-to-write-winning-resume.html

MICHAEL BOLARINWA

Computer Science Graduate
New graduate of NUC-accredited bachelor's degree in Computer science. With an unwavering interest in data base administration and web development. An internship experience and knowledge of computing theories, principles, specifications and standards. Plan to earn CCNA certification in few months.

Demonstrated 3D skills with the ability to design site layouts from concept through completion.

Education & Credentials
University Degree (2:2), XYZ University | Sapele, Lagos.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, 120/132 credits completed

Honors:
Honors (Computer Science Society), Dean’s List (2 semesters)

Activities:
Project Coordinator, Idea Hub (Personal project with friends); Planning Committee.

Course Highlight:
Trigonometry
Web design and development
Programming Practicum
Computer Vision
Computational photography
Advanced programming languages
Robotic Manipulations
Signal processing

Professional Experience:

Responsibilities:
Assisted IT officers on several key projects involving network installation and re-design and improvements.

Handled cost-of-materials estimations, report and document tracking, project documentation and general supervision.

Skills:
Web design, web development, network installation and design, data administration and Microsoft tools.

Source: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2017/03/example-of-graduate-trainee-cv-resume.html

Although it's Okay but, Mr man where is your date of birth, symtate of origin and other personal data?
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by nmreports: 2:03pm On Mar 09, 2017
samuelezekiel:

Although it's Okay but, Mr man where is your date of birth, symtate of origin and other personal data?

Are you serious?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by nmreports: 2:03pm On Mar 09, 2017
gohzieh:

Basically LinkedIn.
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by fleps(m): 2:19pm On Mar 09, 2017
Hmmm. I will update this space

UPDATE
I appreciate the effort by the OP in putting these here and I thank the MODs for taking this to frontpage. This will enable some critique and some corrections made

First off, I am a recruiter and I have been screening CVs for clients, rewriting and appraising CVs as well since 2013. The CV presented by the OP can be better rewritten as bellow:

[center]MICHAEL BOLARINWA
Plot 2, Maryland Crescent, Maryland
Phone: +23480679650** | Email: michael@somedomain.com[/center]

Career Objective
To gainfully utilize my Public Relations skills and customer facing, banking internship experience in an organization where growth and profitability is an upshot of galvanized team effort, hardwork, ingenuity and creativity using concerted, strategic approaches and ICT

OR

To be part of an organisation with the mindset of winning and career development and as much as possible relate personal objectives with company goals in a manner that fosters professionalism, brand recognition and increases the revenue prospects of the organisation.

Skills and Core Competencies
(Other competencies that bother on Leadership and Past experience)

Education
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (Degree if favourable) (DATE)
XYZ University of Sapele, Delta.

Experience

Responsibilities:

Leadership Experience
Leadership positions in school or church or even NYSC or school fellowship

Personal Details
Sex
Activities:

Interests
(meaningful ones please)

References
Available upon request

The ABOVE is just a quick and simple/better presentation.

Now let me explain some of the changes...

For the HEADER, I removed the social media because I do not need it. Besides, you might forget to remove it if you submit your CV in hard copy. I may just consider you dumb if you printed your CV in hard copy and there is a social media profile link. It is best to just remove it.

For the Career Statement/Objective, the info the OP gave there is a duplicate of the Education Section. Career Objective implies what or how you intend to use your experience or skills in my organisation. So tell me that and not a copy of what you will still tell me. Mostly, when I am interviewing candidates, my first questions come from the Career Statement/Objective because I realise may people just copy and paste and do not even know what is written there.

Then the Skills and Competencies are the next. This is where you nail it with the skills you have. Check the Job Specification of the job advert and identify the ones you have, then include in this section.

For the EDUCATION, the name of the university should not come first. I am more concerned about what you studied than where you studied it. It is in few cases where the client wants candidates from a specific school that may count. That is why working with the JD of the posted job is important. DO NOT include your grade IF and ONLY IF the JD does not request it and IF it is below SECOND CLASS LOWER. This will erode any discrimination the CV reviewer/screener may have. It helps you advance to the next stage so that they can see you at the interview and get to know you better instead of judging you from the letterings of your CV

For EXPERIENCE, that is already well written but there is a new observation which I am still trying to get valid reasons for backed up with research before I make it known to the Recruiting Community and post on my blog. I think placing the industry or what your company does beside the company name on your CV will put you in better light with the recruiters. For example:

ABC Company (plastic manufacturing company) Sapele, Delta State.

This will make me know what industry you have relevant experience and save me more time researching the company in case I am searching for candidates in a particular industry. Some companies are not popular and one may not know immediately what industry they are in e.g Andela (popular, but do you know the industry?). Placing the industry will also enable Applicant Tracking Systems to pull your CV out faster just because of the 'industry keyword'. For instance, I am presently searching for Business Analysts that have relevant experience (5 years) in the Manufacturing industry (send CV to cv@acegoals.com). I need to know the industry you have worked in from just looking at your CV because I will get a lot and would not want to just start searching each 'unpopular' company

Now, I included LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE because you have better advantage if I know that you have to ability to lead, take decisions and influence others positively. So even if it is Volunteering experience, please include it.

Now PERSONAL DETAILS. Please and please, DO NOT INCLUDE all your life's info there. I don't what to know your village or birthplace or Local government etc... In fact, remove anything PERSONAL DETAILS for experienced applications or individuals. It should only come in if the JD or job post says something about it, then you MUST include the info the employer wants. If age is very much on your side, please include it. For graduate trainees or fresh graduates younger than 26 years please include it. Employers love young graduates for Management Trainee or Fresh Graduate roles

Others are self-explanatory.

IN CONCLUSION...
Never include on your CV anything that will not help you secure an INTERVIEW or the job with the company OR TAKE OUT anything that you cannot defend and would put you in bad light with the employer.

This is my humble contribution

PS: I am also hiring for a Personal Assistant (apart from the Business Analyst above) for a LAW FIRM. Candidate must be a fresh graduate and only OND HOLDERS are required for this position. I am shortlisting CVs tomorrow so deadline is tonight. Send CV to cv@acegoals.com

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by Laxy009(m): 3:32pm On Mar 09, 2017
What about personal data?
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by landuhelen: 3:38pm On Mar 09, 2017
all these organizations looking for 2-3yrs experience, how people wey no get experience won take come get the experience if they are not employed
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by Senipapa(m): 3:49pm On Mar 09, 2017
Everyday I see different cv format show up online, who CV epp, God abeg give me leg make I stop to enter this vacancy section they search for job wey people wey get leg don corner finish.

1 Like

Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by veekid(m): 8:36pm On Mar 09, 2017
opethom:
No be where you see vacancy you go carry CV go? Rat Don eat Veekid CV more than 3 times... When 4.3million Don loose job under babu... Abeg let me drink my gari

You so much get time today baje baje; you're all over places
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by opethom(m): 9:38pm On Mar 09, 2017
veekid:

You so much get time today baje baje; you're all over places
hungry+boredom
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by CellTabRepairs: 10:52pm On Mar 09, 2017
Nice one!

Most of these industry giants just make fun of young talented youths with long running recruitment process stretching 1 year or more and end up selecting few...sometimes as few as 2 or 3 per role. How frustrating WAITING...waiting while life and money pass you by? No. You can still wait smartly. Moreover, destiny helpers will meet you on a job that guarantees you face to face meet ups with the men of means! #fix high end devices ...

9 months is a cycle of life. 9 months to year end. In 3 Months depending on your speed, you will command money with this resource. Yes!
Are you looking for a source of daily income stream? Look no further!. Lost your job? Retired? Tired of working for someone? Student, but need money source? Want to change business? LEARN SMARTPHONES REPAIRS Today! Very lucrative venture for anyone. Low startup capital - high RETURNS! In high demand! Your main CAPITAL IS KNOWLEDGE & SKILL! Join the winners!

Click My Name & View That Resource You Might Need! Don't wait until the whole year runs out and your hair is graying before you realise you need to take your destiny in your hands!
Re: CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application by Jhamzy(m): 11:32pm On Mar 09, 2017
fleps:
Hmmm. I will update this space

UPDATE
I appreciate the effort by the OP in putting these here and I thank the MODs for taking this to frontpage. This will enable some critique and some corrections made

First off, I am a recruiter and I have been screening CVs for clients, rewriting and appraising CVs as well since 2013. The CV presented by the OP can be better rewritten as bellow:

The ABOVE is just a quick and simple/better presentation.

Now let me explain some of the changes...

For the HEADER, I removed the social media because I do not need it. Besides, you might forget to remove it if you submit your CV in hard copy. I may just consider you dumb if you printed your CV in hard copy and there is a social media profile link. It is best to just remove it.

For the Career Statement/Objective, the info the OP gave there is a duplicate of the Education Section. Career Objective implies what or how you intend to use your experience or skills in my organisation. So tell me that and not a copy of what you will still tell me. Mostly, when I am interviewing candidates, my first questions come from the Career Statement/Objective because I realise may people just copy and paste and do not even know what is written there.

Then the Skills and Competencies are the next. This is where you nail it with the skills you have. Check the Job Specification of the job advert and identify the ones you have, then include in this section.

For the EDUCATION, the name of the university should not come first. I am more concerned about what you studied than where you studied it. It is in few cases where the client wants candidates from a specific school that may count. That is why working with the JD of the posted job is important. DO NOT include your grade IF and ONLY IF the JD does not request it and IF it is below SECOND CLASS LOWER. This will erode any discrimination the CV reviewer/screener may have. It helps you advance to the next stage so that they can see you at the interview and get to know you better instead of judging you from the letterings of your CV

For EXPERIENCE, that is already well written but there is a new observation which I am still trying to get valid reasons for backed up with research before I make it known to the Recruiting Community and post on my blog. I think placing the industry or what your company does beside the company name on your CV will put you in better light with the recruiters. For example:

ABC Company (plastic manufacturing company) Sapele, Delta State.

This will make me know what industry you have relevant experience and save me more time researching the company in case I am searching for candidates in a particular industry. Some companies are not popular and one may not know immediately what industry they are in e.g Andela (popular, but do you know the industry?). Placing the industry will also enable Applicant Tracking Systems to pull your CV out faster just because of the 'industry keyword'. For instance, I am presently searching for Business Analysts that have relevant experience (5 years) in the Manufacturing industry (send CV to cv@acegoals.com). I need to know the industry you have worked in from just looking at your CV because I will get a lot and would not want to just start searching each 'unpopular' company

Now, I included LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE because you have better advantage if I know that you have to ability to lead, take decisions and influence others positively. So even if it is Volunteering experience, please include it.

Now PERSONAL DETAILS. Please and please, DO NOT INCLUDE all your life's info there. I don't what to know your village or birthplace or Local government etc... In fact, remove anything PERSONAL DETAILS for experienced applications or individuals. It should only come in if the JD or job post says something about it, then you MUST include the info the employer wants. If age is very much on your side, please include it. For graduate trainees or fresh graduates younger than 26 years please include it. Employers love young graduates for Management Trainee or Fresh Graduate roles

Others are self-explanatory.

IN CONCLUSION...
Never include on your CV anything that will not help you secure an INTERVIEW or the job with the company OR TAKE OUT anything that you cannot defend and would put you in bad light with the employer.

This is my humble contribution

PS: I am also hiring for a Personal Assistant (apart from the Business Analyst above) for a LAW FIRM. Candidate must be a fresh graduate and only OND HOLDERS are required for this position. I am shortlisting CVs tomorrow so deadline is tonight. Send CV to cv@acegoals.com

Thanks Mr Fleps. Pls can u give a sample of an experience (say like 2yrs) graduate cv. Using an Elect/Elect Engineering graduate as a case study. Cos i get to see so many cv templates on line with different format. Dont even know which to choose. Besides that do you have a vacancy for Engineering graduate?

Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Salary Is Enough For Good Living In Nigeria / Ptdf Oil And Gas Field Training Programme / Total Nigeria Plc Application Process Mail. Who Else Got This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.