Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Is Egusi A Soup Or A Sauce?: How I Lost An Argument To A 12-year Old - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is Egusi A Soup Or A Sauce?: How I Lost An Argument To A 12-year Old (1540 Views)

Russians Eating Egusi Soup And Eba For The First Time / How To Cook Tasty Chicken Curry Sauce For White Rice (Pics, Video) / New Soup Or Stew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Egusi A Soup Or A Sauce?: How I Lost An Argument To A 12-year Old by chizgold80: 10:20pm On Mar 06, 2017
Last night, I honored a dinner invitation by a Nigerian family friend. On the table was a big bowl of pounded yam and a big bowl of egusi soup. After meal prayer was said by the daddy of the house, everybody but Kobe, their 12—year old son, proceeded to get a cut of the pounded yam and some scoops of egusi soup into their plates. Kobe did not go for the pounded yam; he went straight for the egusi soup; scooped quite a quantity into his bowl; and proceeded to drink and leak it with a spoon. It was then that this exchange ensued:

Me: Hey, buddy, you are wasting the soup...

Kobe: How? What do you mean?

Me: You are drinking the soup without eating the pounded yam...

Kobe: How is that a waste? What am I wasting, the soup or the garri? (he calls everything garri)

Me: (already feeling boxed in) The soup

Kobe: But I'm drinking it, how can that be wasting it?

Me: Sorry, the garri...

Kobe: How can I waste it when I don't eat it? If I don't eat it, doesn't that mean that I save enough for the rest of you to eat?

Me: (not sure if it was me or the air was no longer working) Kobe, you eat the garri with the soup...

Kobe: Why, Uncle? If egusi is a soup, as you say it is, then it does not have to be taken with anything. You drink it like you drink other soups...like chicken noodle soup, Chinese rice soup, creamy tortilla, carrot soup, broccoli and potato soup, gumbo soup....

Me: Will you stop listing soups, you are not a chef! (his smartness was becoming irritating)

Kobe: Sorry, Uncle, but I'm just saying... What you are saying will make sense only if egusi were a sauce. You use a sauce to eat something else. Do you think egusi is a soup or a sauce, Uncle?

Me: (eager to end the intellectual assault by a 12—year old) I think egusi is a sauce, not a soup...

Kobe: So why do Nigerians call it a soup?

Me: Kobe, will you stop bothering me! Pass me the...

http://ikengachronicles.com/is-egusi-a-soup-or-a-sauce-how-i-lost-an-argument-to-a-12-year-old-vitus-ozoke/

4 Likes

Re: Is Egusi A Soup Or A Sauce?: How I Lost An Argument To A 12-year Old by beetown(m): 10:21pm On Mar 06, 2017
nice write up....
maybe my children will call it sauce but as for me egusi soup sounds better... grin

#FTC
Re: Is Egusi A Soup Or A Sauce?: How I Lost An Argument To A 12-year Old by slash112: 10:25pm On Mar 06, 2017
lol grin
Re: Is Egusi A Soup Or A Sauce?: How I Lost An Argument To A 12-year Old by Cutehector(m): 10:25pm On Mar 06, 2017
Lol see as Kobe just finish ur life .... grin

1 Like

Re: Is Egusi A Soup Or A Sauce?: How I Lost An Argument To A 12-year Old by Elfree: 10:34pm On Mar 06, 2017
Lolzz!!!smart child..We Africans hate smart kids and yet complain when we have/meet dull kids

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Egusi A Soup Or A Sauce?: How I Lost An Argument To A 12-year Old by tempem: 10:46pm On Mar 06, 2017
Waoh.. Holidays are a good thing.
Been long I came in.
Back to the OP, my warm regards to kobe..
Re: Is Egusi A Soup Or A Sauce?: How I Lost An Argument To A 12-year Old by giftedheart1(m): 11:02pm On Mar 06, 2017
is that the picture of the egusi? how on earth will u also call that a soup? that egusi has 7 lives

1 Like

Re: Is Egusi A Soup Or A Sauce?: How I Lost An Argument To A 12-year Old by Rubyventures: 11:12am On Mar 08, 2017
Technically it is a sauce, but you know Nigerians cant really tell the difference between a stew, sauce and soup, they are all the same.
Re: Is Egusi A Soup Or A Sauce?: How I Lost An Argument To A 12-year Old by Nobody: 10:17pm On Mar 11, 2017
Lol...........d kid is very smart.

I pray 2 av a very smart kid. Amen

(1) (Reply)

Secure Your Restaurant/eatery With Any Of Our CCTV Packages / Becone A Butterfield Bread Distributor On Lagos Island / How To Make Foreign Junkies Eg. Pizza,hamburger Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.