Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,551 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

Taking Up A Scholarship And Quiting Pwc - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Taking Up A Scholarship And Quiting Pwc (1035 Views)

6 Steps To Take Before Quiting A Job / Pwc Or Deloitte / Which Offer Should I Accept? Kpmg Or Pwc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taking Up A Scholarship And Quiting Pwc by Focusmind: 12:41am On Dec 16, 2009
My friend got a scholarship through the OPEC FUND FOR INTERNAIONAL DEVELOPMENT(OFID) for a masters degree in Petroleum Engineering at the University of British Columbia, Canada. He currently works with PWC. He is contemplating whether to take up the offer and quit his job or continue with PWC. He is scared about the present rate of unemployment. I have already, adviced him to take the offer that I did same when PTDF offered me scholarship. I had to resign from my work. His program would be starting on 6th January,2010 and he has not made up his mind whether to call it quit with PWC. He is an engineer and have qualified as a chartered accountant with PWC.
Re: Taking Up A Scholarship And Quiting Pwc by tkb417(m): 8:33am On Dec 16, 2009
hmm tough one

if hes still interested in his engineering thingy, then this is an opportunity for him. But, if hes cool with his accounting profession and wouldnt want to go back to engineering, then he can stay with pwC

if i were him , ill leave
Re: Taking Up A Scholarship And Quiting Pwc by tos(m): 10:26am On Dec 16, 2009
Focusmind:

My friend got a scholarship through the OPEC FUND FOR INTERNAIONAL DEVELOPMENT(OFID) for a masters degree in Petroleum Engineering at the University of British Columbia, Canada. He currently works with PWC. He is contemplating whether to take up the offer and quit his job or continue with PWC. He is scared about the present rate of unemployment. I have already, adviced him to take the offer that I did same when PTDF offered me scholarship. I had to resign from my work. His program would be starting on 6th January,2010 and he has not made up his mind whether to call it quit with PWC. He is an engineer and have qualified as a chartered accountant with PWC.

It's a tough call especially now that your friend is a qualified accountant. Your friend needs to decide where his passion lies. If he's still very much interested in engineering, i'll suggest he takes up this offer as the opportunity may not come again. As far as i'm concern, passion is what drives one to do what he/she does everyday without moaning or complaining.

For your friend to be a qualified accountant, he must have been working at PwC for a minimum of three years unless he started writing his professional exams before joining the firm. I think three years experience with them should be enough to secure another accounting job if he cannot find an engineering job after his Msc programme. Whichever way it goes, being a chartered accountant is a big catalyst that will come handy in the future.
Re: Taking Up A Scholarship And Quiting Pwc by AjanleKoko: 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2009
He should take up the scholarship.
It's a good opportunity, in a good school, and it shouldn't be passed up because of an accounting job with PWC.
Re: Taking Up A Scholarship And Quiting Pwc by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 17, 2009
It's a tough call especially now that your friend is a qualified accountant.

what makes him a qualified accountant?

1 Like

Re: Taking Up A Scholarship And Quiting Pwc by Focusmind: 12:21pm On Dec 17, 2009
He qualified last may after passing the final ICAN exam
Re: Taking Up A Scholarship And Quiting Pwc by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 17, 2009
then he doesnt need the scholarship, He's now a professional in his new career so i dont think its advisable to go ahead with engineering anymore.

(1) (Reply)

Finland Scholarship Programme / What Is It Like Being A Graduate Of International Relations? / Livestock Feed Plc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.