Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,437 members, 7,850,530 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:02 AM

Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child (787 Views)

Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? / Did Your Parent Teach Sex Education / Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child (2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by gospelseed(m): 9:38am On Dec 16, 2009
Hi friends,

I came across these lines in an article sometime ago, "… I could not imagine that anyone outside a mental home could be wicked enough to design a subject with such insidious contents even for kids of his worst enemy!, I consider the introduction of that subject (sex education) in our schools the worst case of child abuse brazenly endorsed by the nations education authorities and unleashed on today’s kids like a poisonous live snake!" (Ugochukwu Ejinkeonye, “Nigeria’s Last Virgins” The Vanguard, (Kaduna), 12 October 2006, p.39).

Since then I have been wondering if sex education is necessary for the contemporary children or not. As a father, mother, uncle, aunt, brother, sister, friend of the contemporary child; what do you think?
Re: Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by mavenbox: 10:56am On Dec 16, 2009
Interesting topic. My first time on a family topic, i think.
I think sex education is highly important, because kids and teens will be educated either way by peers, the media, paedophiles,etc. They may learn the truth, or they may learn lies. So why not avert trouble and just tell them the truth at home before someone else tells them a lie and its too late?

Tell them at home, even before the school is allowed to do that. Tell them the truth. Teach kids to respect the truth from an early age by example: YOU should never lie to them in the 1st case. Many societal problems can be prevented if kids learn to trust their parents, and discuss any issue truthfully with them. Gone are the days of raising kids by fear!

Tell them that sex is good, but taken at the wrong time will only cause evil: like a boy who steals hot meat from the boiling stew pot, it damages his tongue and when food is served, he cant enjoy it. His taste buds are gone. Tell them the risks involved, so that they can judge for themselves above peer pressure.
Re: Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by Sissy3(f): 9:56pm On Dec 18, 2009
what many parents/people/many tend to think/believe is that giving a child a sex ed. means you are giving the child the key to free sex lifestyle. in other-word you are opening the door to promiscuous life for them while infact the opposite is true. there are many reasons why teens have sex early and having sex ed is far from the list.

they are eventually going to have sex one way or the other with or without your consent/knowledge while not teach them what you think they ought to know about sex and let them being informed and make the decision themselves?
Re: Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by SALady(f): 7:27pm On Dec 19, 2009
I think sex education is good especially if it comes from home. The problem we are faced up with is the education system that opens a lot of information to children without taking care of the basics, or creating a buffer that will assit children to understand how and when to use the information thay have. How do you give a child sex education and not complement such curricular with moral and ethical responsibility.

I still believe that this lack of moral and ethical education in early education is absolutely irresponsible and criminal.
Re: Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by tRoOE(f): 11:03pm On Dec 19, 2009
On a serious not am really comfortable with d whole idea of Sex eduaction for 10yrs kid
I think it's too early, they might become curious to taste d forbidden fruit, u never can say
Re: Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by Sissy3(f): 5:03am On Dec 20, 2009
tRoOE:

On a serious not am really comfortable with d whole idea of Sex eduaction for 10yrs kid
I think it's too early, they might become curious to taste d forbidden fruit, u never can say

you can always start from 12, 13, 14.  and you can limit the types of infos you discuss depending on the age you start. as for curiosity, you know that time will always come when they will try it eventually.

you raised the good point of comfortability and i think that is one of the main reason many parents shy away from such talk. thats always the major road block but somehow one have to learn how to overcome it. there are many ways a parent can initiate the "talk" to make less weird on the parent and the child and talking going
Re: Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by iice(f): 3:58pm On Dec 21, 2009
I'm in favor of sex ed. Children are curious. People are drawn to the forbidden. Not unless the fear of parents is instilled in the child. . .they'd do what you tell them not to do. They need to be aware of the consequences of the act not only on themselves but the people in their lives. I know people think, it's probably too much for a child to handle, but children are fast learners. They can absorb a lot. In this day and age, when sex is not such a taboo topic, it's practical to tell them about it. Those stork delivered a baby thing doesn't work for long.
Re: Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by Sissy3(f): 9:56pm On Dec 21, 2009
iice:

I'm in favor of sex ed. Children are curious. People are drawn to the forbidden. Not unless the fear of parents is instilled in the child. . .they'd do what you tell them not to do. They need to be aware of the consequences of the act not only on themselves but the people in their lives. I know people think, it's probably too much for a child to handle, but children are fast learners. They can absorb a lot. In this day and age, when sex is not such a taboo topic, it's practical to tell them about it. Those stork delivered a baby thing doesn't work for long.

Word!!!
Re: Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by mamagee3(f): 9:58pm On Dec 21, 2009
iice:

I'm in favor of sex ed.  Children are curious.  People are drawn to the forbidden.  Not unless the fear of parents is instilled in the child. . .they'd do what you tell them not to do.  They need to be aware of the consequences of the act not only on themselves but the people in their lives.  I know people think, it's probably too much for a child to handle, but children are fast learners.  They can absorb a lot.  In this day and age, when sex is not such a taboo topic, it's practical to tell them about it. Those stork delivered a baby thing doesn't work for long.

GBAM!!!
Right on point
!!! tongue
Re: Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by Sissy3(f): 10:10pm On Dec 21, 2009
Mama Gee you sef grin how papa Gee dey?
Re: Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 21, 2009
As soon as my children become adults in sexual growth I'll have a talk with them. My daughter must know why she is menstruating and my son must know why he is producing that white liquid.
Re: Sex Education: Shaping The Sexual Attitude Of The Contemporary Child by mamagee3(f): 10:15pm On Dec 21, 2009
michelin89:

As soon as my children become adults in sexual growth I'll have a talk with them. My daughter must know why she is menstruating and my son must know why he is producing that white liquid.

*Considers the deed done* cool

(1) (Reply)

Winningmen / ? / : Did This Bad Woman Get What She Deserved?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.