Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,321 members, 7,836,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (83474 Views)

What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? / What's Happening On The Lagos-Ibadan Axis? / What's Happening On The Ikorodu Axis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by babaeko1: 10:45pm On Jun 17, 2010
Does anyone know anything about Sangotedo around Okun Mopo road. I drove to Okun Mopo Akinlade recently and the place is still scantly developed, mostly sandy areas with little or no building. Also, there are no good roads around that area, if one is driving and you steer to the wrong side, your car can be stuck in sand.

I want to know details of coming development towards Sangotedo and also, what about Okun Ajah ?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:06pm On Jun 18, 2010
‘There is need to construct proposed Coastal Road simultaneously with Lekki-Epe Expressway to serve as alternative’ .
Tuesday, 08 June 2010 00:00 Nigerian Compass  .Mr. Wole Akala, the Executive Director of First Marina Trust Limited is the Chairman of Lekki Residents’ Association in Lagos. In an interview with journalists penultimate week, he spoke about

the state of infrastructure development in Lekki Phase 1; efforts of the Lagos State Government and residents to promote orderliness in the estate; reaction of residents to the issues of Land Use Charge and the alleged revocation of plots of land in the axis. He also spoke his mind concerning the Lekki-Epe Toll road; expectations of residents and the need to construct the proposed Coastal Road as an alternative route to allay fear being expressed by the people. DAYO AYEYEMI was there.

WHAT is the level of infrastructure development in Lekki phase 1?

I need, to update you on the current infrastructure, that we have in Lekki. Well, I have the privilege to be living in Lekki for like 9 years now, so I have a comprehensive knowledge of the developmental stages of infrastructure there. Some seven years ago, you would recall that we have what is very close to Tsunami then. It was then that the government realised that we have a fundamental drainage problem. But again, I will give it to the administration of Bola Tinubu . He came and I think the government did a comprehensive survey of where the problem lied and they were able to channel a major drainage probably into the Lagoon. And even since then, we have been recording pockets of flood because of the nature of the place being a reclaimed area and an island. So, what we have been recording is not totally out of place. So I will say that the drainage issue has been addressed. What we have in our hands now is to maintain, is to keep regularly by cleaning it and keeping the drainage free which is more of maintenance.

So what are we doing as to that? My administration decided to have a kind of a zonal driven administration. Something of this nature, we believe it is better managed by each of the zone. We withdrew a little of where we think it is the exclusive right of the zone from what we consider as the exclusive right of the centre. And in some cases, they are interwoven. In the case of drainage, it is interwoven. You have to first clean your nuclear drainage while we limit ourselves to the major drainages that flush into the lagoon. So that is the plan we have in terms of drainage. When we talk of how well, it is still an ongoing thing because Lekki is still evolving, it’s still emerging, people are still building, so we don’t have a choice than to continually improve on that drainage system that we have on ground.

Another infrastructure that it is important is the road network. Again, if you compare what we have today with what we have just a year ago in Lekki, it is just a paradigm shift. And this is because of what? Within the last one year, I can sit down here and tell you that the government of Lagos State have embarked on more than 50 roads within Lekki. It has constructed more than 50 road projects and as I am talking, they have more that 10 ongoing projects but that is not to say that we don’t have some major roads that are not being attended to. And the reason is this; the immediate past administration did not enjoy the kind of cordial relationship which is being enjoyed with the New Towns Development Authority (NTDA). Lagos State gave the management of Lekki to the NTDA. I don’t know whether by law or anything so to say, we have just being lucky to have a very cordial relationship with them. How does that interprete to what I am talking about now? We discover that they don’t live in Lekki; they just take decisions in their various offices, and the decisions at times need inputs from the residents. We realised that they have been doing roads but some are more important than the other. At times, they concentrate on some sojourning roads and abandoned the main roads.

At times, we seem not to appreciate the efforts of the government because they are not carrying the residents along; they are not taking inputs from them. So we have been able to break such barriers now that on regular basis, at least, I can tell you that since this administration came into existence, at least once in a month, we have cause to meet with the NTDA people. Exactly a week ago, they came on a site visit to Lekki to sensitise themselves we what we have been talking about. And most importantly, I told them that if nobody has brought it to their knowledge, road 14 is a very strategic road which needs to be done urgently; because if they do it, it has a link to many roads such as Fola Osibo, Admiralty Way, Durosimi Eti and other strategic roads. This road we serve like a kind of link. And they confided in me that anybody could have been telling us that that road has been awarded. They authoritatively told me that the road has been awarded but it is just awarded this year. This gives a ray of hope but again I want to say further that I would have loved to have the contractor who they awarded the road to so that I can directly relate with him.

The other one is how to deal with the power supply. I will say the situation is very deplorable now and in fact, it is a national disgrace but what we do is to talk to them from time to time at least, to eliminate what we consider as local problems. If it is an issue of transform, that becomes localized; if it an issue of feeders station, it becomes localized; so we put pressure on them to get all those ones rectified and put in place. Water itself is not flowing too well. The reticulation has been disturbed by the road construction. This is so because we have not been consulted and contacted. We would have come out with a plan in order to know the sequence of how to approach these things because they are all interrelated; but again, we are on top of all these things. One thing is to identify the problems, all these have been identified and the next thing is to address the problems.

How do you receive the news of the new Land Use Charge in Lekki?
What I will say to that is that it is the perogative of the government to come up with charges. Although we have the right to challenge whatever the government have done constructively. And how do we do this? We have to get some other similar estates all over the federation or within our own area and get exactly what they are paying so that we can make a constructive argument. But on that, I can tell you that we just came in and again, it’s a matter of priority. We have not got to that state of fighting or soliciting for the government to reduce charges yet. We are much more concern about security and putting infrastructure in place; but that is the way we are going to approach it. If they bring it formally to us and they want us to pick it up as an issue for the estate, of course we are there to serve them. The government has the right to levy charges and we have the right to bring constructive argument backed with figures to them in the event we need to press for reduction.

Recently the government revoked some plots of land in Lekki Phase 1 on the basis that owners of such plots refused to develop them after many years of allocation. How did you receive the news?

I will not agree that the government revoked plots; rather they just have the intention. The intension was clear that they want to revoke but they haven’t revoked. I have it on record that the residents’ association placed adverts in the papers after the expiration of the timeframe the government gave, praising the executive governor of Lagos State on the good things he has done not only to Lagos in general but to Lekki particularly. But then, we seized that opportunity to appeal to the government to soft- pedal on the issue of revocation been proposed; and we gave him reasons that this is not the best of time for the government to say that people should go if they are not interested to develop their plots. It is going to be double barrel attack on people because the economy is there biting very hard; people are struggling and in fact, survival is the key word now and the government should be sensitive. Yes, the argument is that the government want to use that to combat crime, they realised that a lot of shanties habour crime and they want to attack crime from that angle; but as you are doing that, let us be looking at the other side effects of the decision on the general climate of the country. We tried to appeal to them to see the issue from another angle. Trying to revoke people’s land is not something good and again, they should put a reasonable time for people to go in and develop their plots of land. I was privileged to tell you that the message got across to the governor and based on that, he instructed the appropriate authority to at least put it on hold. So that is why I will tell you that to the best of my knowledge, I am not aware of any land that has been revoked.

How are you and other residents of Lekki axis taking the issue of Lekki-Epe Toll Road?
Just like I mentioned in one interview TV Continental granted me about two days ago, I said that whichever way we want to look at the road construction; not only the Lekki-Epe Expressway, we have the Bourdillon-Lekki Bridge. Whichever way anybody wants to look at it, these are two laudable projects. How they are being managed, that is a different ball game entirely. This is a debate for another day but I will say something that, as for me, I have been living there for nine years, human memory has been very short, I remembered the way Lekki was when I moved in and I can put side by side what I am seeing today. Lekki can compete with any part in the world. I am privilege to have travelled to many places in the world, so I can talk like an authority in that area.

Lekki is an estate that in another year, whoever has a property in Lekki will be proud that he has a property there. He can invite anyone from every nook and cranny of the world, they will not be able to fault that environment in terms of standard. That is my opinion and I will like to say that Lekki is elitist; the majority are enlightened and well traveled; so if they want to really face the reality, I don’t believe that they have an objection to the value that the road is going to add to their property. To speak their minds to some extent, I want to say the residents are happy with it, but whether they now want to pay, that is human approach- I mean no human being want to part with any dime.

I will tell you that I have a lot of people that are against paying especially the one on Lekki-Epe Expressway because what they are saying is that that one is not a new road. It is a kind of a refurbished road unlike the Osborne-Lekki Bridge that is a new one. So to them, and because that one is a new initiative, they consider it decent to pay. On the Lekki-Epe Road, I am already facing a lot of battle from the residents. That is not to say that some people do not think we should pay, they just think the payment should be reasonable.

People in Lekki are also yearning for alternative road. What is your view about this?
It is a concept we have put to the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) and the company has been to our estate several times to enlighten people on what they are doing. What they call the alternative route is, if you come out through the first gate of Lekki, you negotiate the roundabout as if you are going to Epe, on the immediate right, you come in to Oniru and thereafter, you can find your way to Victoria Island. It is an alternative route. But the question is that, is the alternative route done in a proper way to really do the job of being an alternative route? You can imagine if on that Lekki-Epe axis, we are experiencing that kind of traffic, and they now say that well, maybe half of you and because you cannot afford the money, you can go through Oniru Road? Is Oniru designed enough to accommodate the traffic? Structurally, I mean in terms of space, is Oniru road has been designed to accommodate that? If you ask me, I will say no. They can tell us there is a route there but I will not consider that as a proper alternative route. If you ask me what do I consider as proper alternative route? I know there is supposed to be this Coastal Road. The Coastal Road, I know will be wide enough, will run through Victoria Island, run through Epe axis, and I think there is need for them to start doing that road simultaneously as they are doing the Lekki-Epe Expressway. If they can start that, I will, to some extent believe in them that they have alternative road.

Source: http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52715&Itemid=710
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:27pm On Jun 18, 2010
Lekki Phase 1 revocations: not if but when

18th January 2010 was to be 'D' (or 'R' for revocation) day. The Lagos State Government warned all Allottees of land in Lekki Phase 1 that if they do not develop their land by that date, their allocation/title would be revoked. The exact wording was: the Government has observed with great concern that some of the Allottees in the scheme have left their land allocations undeveloped after several years of the said allocation, thereby encouraging illegal activities of squatters with unsightly shanties have continued to fester within the scheme at alarming rate. The Government however explained that in order to put an end to the said illegal activities of squatters, clear the scheme of the present existing shanties and discourage unnecessary land speculation within the scheme; it is directing all the Allottees who have not taken physical possession of their plots of land should within the next three months do so after obtaining necessary building approval.

Any Allottee who refuses/fails to commence physical development on his/her plots of land in line with the deadline will have his/her allocation revoked and such land re-allocated to those who genuinely require land for housing development. Allottees should therefore note that building approvals for those who are ready to develop their plots of land in compliance with this notice would be fast-tracked.

This was in October 2009. In January 2010, another Notice issued by the Lands Bureau reiterated the warning but January 18, 2010 came and passed without any revocation notices being issued. Nosing around CASTLES learnt that there was an official but undocumented extension of the revocation period by three months as a lot of pressure was brought to bear by interested parties including the Residents Association of the estate. The basis of their arguments was that the period was too short bearing in mind the procedure for obtaining building approval in the country and the credit crunch which would affect the financial ability of the Allottees to 'move to site'. This 'extension' should have expired on 18th April 2010 but still there were no revocation Notices issued by Government. Some have speculated that the political face off between Governor Babatunde Fashola and Asiwaju Bola Tinubu/The Lagos House of Assembly could have contributed to this as quite a number of influential personalities would have been affected and this would have compounded the case against the serving Governor other have said that the pace with which a number of affected Allottees moved to site (some even without Building Approval) stilled the hand of His Excellency as even a casual observer in the estate would regard it as a gargantuan building site. Yet others have said that the reason for the Notice was to force Allottees to apply for Building Approvals which would contribute quite substantially to the Government's purse as the fees for each plot are in the hundreds of thousands of Naira.

Whatever the reason, the sword did not fall on the affected persons. However CASTLES has learnt that the plans to revoked affected titles has not been cancelled and it is a question of time as the list of affected plots is constantly being updated and surveys of the estate continuously carried out. When the order would be given will come as a surprise even to power brokers as they have the ability to turn on the pressure if they get wind of such action. The revocations would not be wholesale as exemptions would be given. Fresh purchasers of plots who have applied for Governors Consent on the transactions and those actively pursuing buildings approvals would be exempted. All others must wait with baited breath for the Fashola fiat on the revocation to come.

Source: http://www.castlesweekly.com/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=970
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 5:16pm On Jul 01, 2010
There have been a few developments in the last few weeks:

1. The construction of a pedestrian bridge at the entrance of Oniru Estate. Casting of only the support in the middle of the road has been done.

2. Work on the Amazon Oil "round-about" seems to be nearing completion. What exactly is planned is not yet clear since it is not really a round-about.

3. The construction of a pedestrian bridge at Ilasan (Jakande). Piling for the support in the middle of the road is on-going.

4. A diversion of traffic going to Alpha Beach into Igbo Efon. It seems as if Julius Berger is about to work on the Alpha Beach Road.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by geeodus: 9:22am On Jul 03, 2010
Hey Johnnie,

Thanks for the updates. Goodluck Jonathan should have awarded you a GCFR for your excellent infoshare. smiley

Anydate on the road project leading from opposite oluwanisola towards the Buenavista estate? Also, confirm the work being done by julius Berger on the alfa beach road covers just the link to the beach or includes the beach (okun Ajah) road as well?

Thanks.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by manpeople(m): 7:07pm On Jul 03, 2010
Hello Johnie, I have decided to post the pictures as requested on this thread.

Indeed the pictures below are true pictures of Okun-Ajah depicting significant development, waterfront front view and a few of the lands that are for sale at the moment. As most us know a reasonable part of this area is covered a global C of O covering parcel D,E,F,G and H.

I was informed that the American International school would be relocated towards Alpha beach along with the proposed Chevron estate currently under construction by Julius Berger. It is therefore only a matter of time before work commences on the Okun-Ajah/Alpha beach road. This development is definitely attracting the Lagos state Govts attention to that area.

For more information and inspection of some the land contact CHIMA +234 (0)7040842947
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by manpeople(m): 7:50pm On Jul 03, 2010
Hello Johnnie, I have posted 4 pictures on the thread you indicated but it is not reflecting. This is quite unusual.

I posted a picture of showing full electrification of Okun ajah, Waterfrontviews , pictures of current development and lands available. I may not ble able to post other vital development pictures of Okun- Ajah particluar choice areas that are available for sale which are being turned into some sort of estates.

You may have to revert to old thread for further info: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-441030.99999.html
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by manpeople(m): 11:21pm On Jul 03, 2010
pleased to present the exquisite environ of Okun Ajah a Jewel by the nile to interested would be land/home owners.

Okun Ajah is a 4minutes drive from Abraham Adesanya estate and 6.5minutes drive from Ajah bus stop. It is assessable from the popular Alpha Beach.

Okun Ajah which stretches along the Coastal road, is another gateway to fascinating places like the Lekki Free Trade Zone, Eko Tourist Beach Resort and of course the proposed 21-hole Golf Course.

Okun Ajah is currently home to a Radio/TV station under construction. The Electrifrication of Okun Ajah has progressed significantly.The security network is being intensified as there are Ploice patrol vans currently monitoring the environ 24/7 in conjunction with Okun Ajah Development Association.

The landed properties being offered is covered by a Global C of O number 69/69/2006AC for parcels D,E,F,G,&H measuring approximately 103.2hectares

For more information and inspection contact CHIMA +234 (0)7040842947

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 12:50pm On Jul 05, 2010
geeodus:

Hey Johnnie,

Thanks for the updates. Goodluck Jonathan should have awarded you a GCFR for your excellent infoshare. smiley

Anydate on the road project leading from opposite oluwanisola towards the Buenavista estate? Also, confirm the work being done by julius Berger on the alfa beach road covers just the link to the beach or includes the beach (okun Ajah) road as well?

Thanks.

Thanks for the compliments geeodus.

I have some pictures showing work in progress on the road linking the expressway (opposite Eleganza's Oluwanisola Estate) to Ocean Bay Estate, Buena Vista Estate, Lafiaji and Okun Ajah.

Pix 1 -4: Down the road from the turning at the expressway

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 2:08pm On Jul 05, 2010
An events centre along the road

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:24pm On Jul 05, 2010
Pic 1-2: Heading towards Buena Vista

Pic 3-4: Vehicles working on the road

Observe that the truck in pix 4 has a sticker that reads 'Improvement and Rehabilitation of System Channels" attached to it.

I could not find a project board to explain the nature of work being carried out, the contractor, if any and the expected completed date.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:36pm On Jul 05, 2010
This is as far I could go. As you can see the terrain further is rough. I gather that there is a stream beyond this point and that a bridge is being constructed over it. This needs to be confirmed.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:40pm On Jul 05, 2010
Heading back to the expressway.

Oluwanisola Estate is at the top right corners of the pictures.

The second toll plaza is a few meters away (on the left) when you reach the expressway.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:47pm On Jul 05, 2010
The second toll plaza

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:50pm On Jul 05, 2010
Alpha Beach Road diversions

Picture 1: Diversion along expressway into Igbo Efon

Picture 2: Diversion along Alpha Beach Road (when you are heading from Alpha Beach)

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:52pm On Jul 05, 2010
According to today's edition of the Punch Newspaper, tolling will begin in August. I'm still trying to get the online edition to paste here.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by geeodus: 12:56am On Jul 06, 2010
Johnie,

Many thanks for the update on the Buenavista Road. Glad to see that work is still progressing. Hopefully the link to the okun Ajah road will be completed this year. The link will certainly stimulate rapid development around that axis and relieve the pressure on the Alpha beach road

I hope BRF has this on his radar screen for Next year's budget.

Keep up the good work.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:17pm On Jul 06, 2010
LCC To Collect Toll On Lekki Road
Wed Jun, 30 2010

By Ajibola Abayomi, Senior Correspondent,Lagos

Lekki Concession Company (LCC) under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) project with the Lagos State Government will effect a toll on Lekki-Epe Peninsular road with effect from August this year.

The project is the first PPP project in Nigeria. LCC was incorporated specifically to design, finance, rehabilitate, upgrade, operate and maintain the Lekki Toll Road under a 30-year Concession mandate from the Lagos State Government.

According to the Managing Director of the company, Opuiyo Oforiokuma, LCC has completed the first phase of the project, which includes rehabilitation and upgrade of the existing road as well as creating new road infrastructure along 49.4 kilometer of Lekki Express Way. The phase is aimed at constructing of 20 kilometers of Coastal Road in the same axis.

Lagosians are entitled to 24 hours free toll call line; accident rescue team and automobile services in case of any car break down on the road.

Oforiokuma said LCC would officially announce the toll fees covering different categories of road users two weeks before commencing full operation as stated in the contact.

Speaking in Lagos with reporters, he said the modalities for collection of the toll have been carefully designed to ensure that Lagosians make convenient payment through electronic devices tagged ‘Swift Pass’ and e-Tag to be attached to cars screen capable of receiving signals from electronic sensors installed at the toll plazas from several commercial banks in the country.

He explained that prospective road users, who chose to ply the road, are expected to access the card free with deposit in their bank account. “If you are in the dedicated express lane for e-Tag users and you do not have sufficient funds in your account, you will be ejected to a mixed lane, where you will be able to pay cash and also recharge your account.

“Toll road will be different in comparison to how roads have been managed previously. It will be maintained by LCC throughout the 30-year concession term, using effective and durable maintenance technique.

“A fast growing development corridor such as that served by the Lekki-Epe Express, with over 85,000 vehicles using the express daily, needs good road infrastructure to support its continued development and growth,” he said.

Source:http://independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=16288
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:21pm On Jul 06, 2010
Collection of tolls begins on Lekki-Epe Expressway August .
Thursday, 01 July 2010 00:22 Dayo Ayeyemi

CONCESSIONAIRE of Lekki-Epe expressway, Messrs Lekki Concession Company Limited, has announced plan to commence the collection of tolls on the highway in the first week of August.

The Managing Director of the company, Mr. Oforioma Opuiyo, said yesterday that the amount to be charged as toll would be announced two weeks to the time.

For this purpose, Opuiyo urged members of the public, especially motorists and commuters, to familarise themselves with the vehicle classifications and payment methods put in place to ensure free flow of traffic on the axis.

The Lekki Toll Road Concession is designed to deliver essential road infrastructure and services along the Lekki-Epe Peninsula of Lagos. It is the first ever toll road under Public-Private Partnership scheme.

The project is in two phases. Phase 1 includes the rehabilitation and upgrade of the existing road as well as the creation of new road infrastructure along 49.4 kilometres of the Lekki-Epe expressway; while Phase II includes the construction of 20 kilometres of the coastal road.

The expressway under the concessionaire is expected to have three toll plazas – Admiralty Circle Plaza, Conservation Plaza and Campus Plaza.

Source:http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62253&Itemid=799
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:29pm On Jul 06, 2010
johnie:

According to the Managing Director of the company, Opuiyo Oforiokuma, LCC has completed the first phase of the project, which includes rehabilitation and upgrade of the existing road as well as creating new road infrastructure along 49.4 kilometer of Lekki Express Way. The phase is aimed at constructing of 20 kilometers of Coastal Road in the same axis.

url]http://independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=16288[/url]

johnie:

The project is in two phases. Phase 1 includes the rehabilitation and upgrade of the existing road as well as the creation of new road infrastructure along 49.4 kilometres of the Lekki-Epe expressway; while Phase II includes the construction of 20 kilometres of the coastal road.

Source:http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62253&Itemid=799

I don't get it:

Is LCC to construct the coastal road?
When will work start?
How long will it take?
Which route will the coastal road pass?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:34pm On Jul 06, 2010
[size=14pt]LCC ARE YOU GOING TO START TOLLING WHEN IT STILL TAKES ABOUT ONE HOUR TO TRAVEL FROM AMAZON OIL JUNCTION TO THE THIRD ROUND ABOUT (JAKANDE/ILASAN) IN THE EVENING?

AND ANOTHER 45 MINUTES FROM CHEVRON ROUNDABOUT TO ILASAN IN THE MORNING?
THAT'S NOT FAIR!

sad
[/size]
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:39am On Jul 07, 2010
You won't believe what I saw last night.

There was this woman driving a black Toyota Corolla beside me on my way home last night. I observed that she was not keeping up with the car in front of her so I decided to take a closer look.

To my utmost surprise I discovered that she was plucking vegetable leaves while driving. This was around 8.00 p.m and between Amazon Oil junction and the second round about.

I was going to take out my camera and take her picture but decided against it to save her the embarrassment.

I could not but pity the poor woman. Incidentally, there was this debate on Masculine World (on Radio Continental) just the day earlier about men reaching the house before their wives and still expecting the woman to come home and do the cooking.

Between Amazon Oil and Jakande (third round about), I spent a total of 52 minutes yesterday.  undecided

I am wondering if the woman would be pleased to pay toll at the first plaza and still spend valuable time in the traffic.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 2:05pm On Jul 07, 2010
Lekki road: LCC introduces toll-free number for reporting incidents
By Akinpelu Dada
Monday, 7 Jun 2010

The Lekki Concession Company, the concessionaire of the Lekki Toll Road, has unveiled a toll-free number for reporting road incidents along the road by members of the public to facilitate prompt responses to incidents along the road.

It is expected to help in the maintenance of free flow of traffic as well as reduce the number of potential fatalities as a result of traffic incidents on the road.

The company unveiled the number to participants at the fourth interactive workshop on traffic management, health, safety, environment and law enforcement on the road last week. It also disclosed that steps were being taken to further enhance and accelerate incident reporting and response process, while also providing stakeholders with information concerning LCC‘s radio communication processes.

A statement made available to our correspondent on Friday said that the workshop was organised to create awareness on guidelines for optimal usage of the Lekki Toll Road. It said it was also to provide a forum for interaction between LCC and partner agencies and organisations involved in the regulation, monitoring and optimisation of the use of road infrastructure in Lagos.

In attendance at the event were key representatives of the Nigeria Police Force, Federal Road Safety Commission, Federal Fire Service, Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, AA Rescue, Man O‘ War, National Union of Road Transport Workers, and the Okada Riders Association of Lagos State.

The Head, Corporate Affairs and Communication Unit, LCC, Mr. Charles Imevbore, reaffirmed the company‘s commitment towards the provision of round-the-clock services and assistance to motorists and other users of the toll road.

He said, ”This is in addition to other benefits such as accident rescue and route patrol services that are already available to road users free-of-charge for optimal usage of the toll road.”

The workshop, which featured presentations by key personnel of LCC, commenced with an interactive session on the methods of intervention as well as the responsibility of all stakeholders in attendance in managing incidents on the toll road.

The session was facilitated by LCC‘s Route and Incident Manager, Mr. Tim Olusegun, who announced the availability of the toll-free number and other incentives put in place by the company to make the use of the road stress-free.

The Chief Technical Officer of the company, Mr. Ivan Bekker, in a presentation, explained the best procedures for using roundabouts on the road, while the Marketing Manager, LCC, Mr. Olumide Oni, addressed issues concerning the tolling process, payment modes and options as well as incentives available to users of the road.

The highpoint of the presentation was the announcement of the availability of frequent user discount as well as the high end technology being deployed to make toll payments as stress-free as possible.

The landmark Lekki-Epe Expressway project is a flagship Public-Private Partnership initiative, which is being driven by LCC under a 30-year, Build, Operate and Transfer concession model.

The approximately, 50-kilometre road will be fully expanded and revamped and thereafter managed throughout the 30-year period. Another 20 kilometres of coastal road is also expected to be constructed in the second phase of the project.

The initiative is privately financed from offshore and local financial institutions, and has attracted considerable international interest in the light of its importance and innovation. The entire infrastructure will be transferred back to the Lagos State Government at the expiration of the 30- year concession period.

Source:http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201006070413034
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 2:10pm On Jul 07, 2010
johnie:

The approximately, 50-kilometre road will be fully expanded and revamped and thereafter managed throughout the 30-year period. Another 20 kilometres of coastal road is also expected to be constructed in the second phase of the project.

I ask again,

Is LCC.Hi-Tech to construct the coastal road?
When will work start on the coastal road?
How long will it take to complete?
Which route will the coastal road pass?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 2:22pm On Jul 07, 2010
This is the original plan:

The project consists of upgrading, widening and tolling of the existing 49.5km long Lekki–Epe Expressway, which is the principal road artery linking Victoria Island in Lagos with the Lekki peninsula.

The objective is to alleviate traffic congestion and improve road safety along the Lekki corridor. It is based on Public-Private Partnership (PPP) under the Design, Build, Operate (DBOT), and Transfer and Rehabilitate, Operate (ROT) framework/business model.

The first phase of the project will involve the upgrade/rehabilitation of the existing 49.5km long expressway, the construction of a new ramp to carry traffic onto the Falomo bridge, construction of new interchanges, footbridges, walkways and bus stops along the expressway, construction of 6 kilometers of the new 20-km long coastal road (which will serve as an alternative road up to toll plaza 1), and build 10 interconnecting link roads between the Expressway and the coastal road respectively.

The company will also construct three toll plazas along the Expressway and will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the toll road during the concession period.

Phase two consists of building the remaining 14 km of the coastal road, and is contingent on the Lagos State Government‘s completion of the civil works on the new coastal defences (to check erosion) that will require additional financial resources.

Source:

http://www.afdb.org/en/projects-operations/project-portfolio/project/p-ng-dbo-008/
http://www.ngbg.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=247&Itemid=106

http://appablog./2008/06/18/nigeria-afdb-approves-us-85-million-for-lekki-toll-road-project/

If we go by this information,

1. 6km of the coastal road ought to have been completed by now.
2. the remaining 14km is dependent on another project (to check coastal erosion). There is no sign that work has started on this yet.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:36am On Jul 08, 2010
[size=14pt]LCC, please do something about the second roundabout quick![/size]

I spent two hours between the first round about (Phase 1) and the second round about last night.

The second round about was heavily flooded. Kudos to the LASTMA guys. They were there till quite late last night.

I missed watching the semi-final match between Spain and Germany by the way. Had to listen to commentaries on BBC World Service in the traffic.

I think I also have to take the weather forecasts more serious going forward.

Traffic was also heavy this morning. The traffic stretched all the way from second round about back to the third round about.

I was told it took about four hours from Ajah to Lagos Island later in the morning yesterday.

[size=14pt]LCC, please do something quick.[/size]
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by Remii(m): 8:41am On Jul 08, 2010
LCC should do something quick oooo, that road is frustrating now I wonder why they dont work at night and weekend the way they worked on Ozumba Mbadiwe axis, to safe some time.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AjanleKoko: 10:19am On Jul 08, 2010
That's a bit worrying. I am moving to that axis in a few weeks from the mainland. Former 2nd Round About in fact.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by Remii(m): 10:29am On Jul 08, 2010
^^^^ If you are talking about round about before Germaine motors, you should be OK. The main trouble for now is coming from Ajah down to MRS filling Station after Germaine Motors
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 11:19am On Jul 08, 2010
^^^^
You mean in the morning.

@AjanleKoKo,

Don't fret if you are moving to second round about. The traffic you'll experience heading towards V/I will be very minimal, if any, in the morning.

In the evening, the traffic bottle neck starts just after the Amazon Oil junction so you would spend minimal time in it getting to the second round about. Alternatively, you could go in through Phase 1.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AjanleKoko: 11:34am On Jul 08, 2010
Thanks guys.
BTW, I mean the old second round about, just before Ikate.
Not the new one that Hi Tech just created.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 11:42am On Jul 08, 2010
We are yet to register the new one. Can we actually call it a round about. It is more of an ellipse-about, if you get what I mean. wink

That is the one I have been referring to as Amazon Oil Junction.

We are on the same page. So comments above by Remii and I are valid.

Meanwhile, welcome to Lekki!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply)

Nairaland Contractors Lounge / Man In Only Towel At Ecobank ATM Withdrawing Money (Photo) / Top 19 Lucrative Business You Can Start In Nigeria With Less Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.