Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,499 members, 7,823,167 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

Toyota Tundra Experience - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Tundra Experience (6249 Views)

Toyota Tundra Or Tacoma ..... Help Me Choose / The 1million Miles 2007 Toyota Tundra 4.7L V8 (video) / This Amazing Toyota Tundrasine Is A Toyota Tundra Limousine (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by kingreign(m): 1:49pm On Mar 13, 2017
tahoe:

OK sir. which model year do you drive
I don't own a truck now, I used a Nissan Titan previously.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by tahoe(m): 1:55pm On Mar 13, 2017
kingreign:

I don't own a truck now, I used a Nissan Titan previously.

that one way dey drink fuel like baby food I respect you. I respect everyone driving a v8 in this economy
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by Mrcharming(m): 6:10pm On Mar 13, 2017
tahoe:

that one way dey drink fuel like baby food I respect you. I respect everyone driving a v8 in this economy

Fuel consumption is a major consideration and that is why I prefer a Tundra v6. I saw a Tundra v8 at a very good price, but the fuel issue is the reason am shying away from it. I don't want a truck that would be guzzling fuel like a labourer drinking pure water. I don't want a fuel guzzler, the economy is not smiling.

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by tahoe(m): 6:17pm On Mar 13, 2017
Mrcharming:

Fuel consumption is a major consideration and that is why I prefer a Tundra v6. I saw a Tundra v8 at a very good price, but the fuel issue is the reason am shying away from it. I don't want a truck that would be guzzling fuel like a labourer drinking pure water. I don't want a fuel guzzler, the economy is not smiling.

but the dodge ram I drive is cheaper than toks Honda EOD. and it was bought on copart

1 Like

Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by kingreign(m): 6:36pm On Mar 13, 2017
tahoe:

but the dodge ram I drive is cheaper than toks Honda EOD. and it was bought on copart
Is it as cheap as EOD to run around upandan? tongue tongue
As ayam seeing OP, he may go for hilux diesel.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by tahoe(m): 6:51pm On Mar 13, 2017
kingreign:

Is it as cheap as EOD to run around upandan? tongue tongue
As ayam seeing OP, he may go for hilux diesel.

can a car like EOD be useful for his farm. better still he should buy a bus.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by layifioren(m): 7:56pm On Mar 13, 2017
tahoe:

2004 even stronger than the tundra the only major repair was changing of the driver side hub.the windows are manual, no central lock. apart from that its OK and the ac is very very very cool.
its a 4.7l v8 engine. mpg depends on the way you drive it. and it very quick.
I personally don't put my feet down one the pedal.

pictures ofy my dads

How many KM/miles do you have on it and any issues with the motor? I bought a 2004 model with a bad motor (I can't remember if it was the 4.7L or 5.7L motor) years ago to fix but as I was looking for a motor, I found that the motor it had are not as wanted/reliable as the other motors they came with. I took my loss and sold it before changing the motor.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by sultaan(m): 4:00am On Mar 14, 2017
Mrcharming:

That V8 truck might be the truck for you difference in mpg between v6 and v8 is just about 2mpg considering how much you will save in pruchase price it might take a couple of years to break even
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by Nobody: 7:04am On Mar 14, 2017
Go for it.

None better in that class.

I have an 02 naija used 4Runner that I love to bits.

Looking forward to getting a few more. Toyota trucks are rock solid.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 14, 2017
layifioren:

We all have our opinions but we cannot shy away from fact. Fact is even the V6 Tundra has a stronger suspension and overall drive train than the Tacoma. With the V8 4.7L or 5.7L motored Tundra, one is talking about way more significant hauling and carrying power with the overall drive train and package.

The agree the Mitsubishi L200 is a respectable truck and I was close to buying one about 5 years ago but, except for it being cheaper, there is absolutely no reason I will take it over a Tacoma.

Look, I have used both Ford Ranger and Mazda B series truck of those exact editions you listed. There is a reason why you see them on the road a lot and it has nothing to do with their dependability. It has everything to do with their price. They are cheap and so for a reason. I will not touch them with an hundred foot pole except I am desperate. If you had to but either of them, just make sure you buy a manual transmission.

@OP, considering you will be driving on farm roads and relatively bad roads, make sure you buy a 4X4 and not 2X4. The V6 Tundra is awesome. I had a colleague that had Tundra and I actually sold it for him. I currently have a 07 4Runner V8 and 01 4Runner V6. The 4Runner, Tacoma and Tundra vehicles are overall topnotch in my opinion

No real autoist will disagree with you.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by Nobody: 7:16am On Mar 14, 2017
layifioren:

Educate me on cars? I was a car dealer for years. It's very obvious you have no clue what you are talking about. None! First to answer you, I had a 2003 Ford Expedition for over a year. Mine was Eddie Bauer and it has the same motor and drive train as a Navigator. I do not put it in the same category as a midsize truck like L200, Ranger or Tacoma so why would I even try to compare their performance like you were trying to do earlier? In what ways would I compare a V8 monster with a 4 cylinder rice burner (L200)?

For crying out loud, I guarantee you I have bought more original Ford and Toyota parts than you. Educate me on cars? I work on them. Ford OEM parts (Motorcraft) are some of the cheapest you'll find out there compared to other make. You better start looking for a better part supplier. Ford resale value is one of the worst. Go ahead, go compare a Navigator to a Land Cruiser yourself. Do yearly comparison from say 2003 to date and see for yourself.

Gather your thought process before typing and stop bouncing around the place. Not that it would matter anymore because I won't reply you but it will help you in the future.

Yes, in general, I prefer Toyotas to other makes. The preference comes from my encounters in dealinggm hundreds of vehicles.

Educate me on cars? I have not read a thing from you that points towards you having better knowledge in this field than I have.

@OP, abeg no vex we hijacked your posting. I ain't posting anything again on this post that doesn't have anything to do with your initial question.

The Navigator and Expedition do not share the Lincolns high end engine. At least on my 2000 Exp Eddie Bauer.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by Mrcharming(m): 8:43am On Mar 14, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Go for it.

None better in that class.

I have an 02 naija used 4Runner that I love to bits.

Looking forward to getting a few more. Toyota trucks are rock solid.

Which did you advise I go for? The V6 or V8? I saw a 2005 V8 at N1.5m and a 2007 V6 at N2.5m. What do you advice, house?
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by kingreign(m): 8:51am On Mar 14, 2017
Mrcharming:

Which did you advise I go for? The V6 or V8? I saw a 2005 V8 at N1.5m and a 2007 V6 at N2.5m. What do you advice, house?

Go for 07. If its the dual cab long bed. But I am sure since its a V6, it may be a single cabin or a short bed truck. But be rest assured, its a lovely truck.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 14, 2017
Mrcharming:

That one is now personal preference.

Gas is cheap enough in Nigeria.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by layifioren(m): 2:01pm On Mar 14, 2017
Mrcharming:

As mentioned by EgunMogaji, it is just down to your preference. The only thing is, IIRC, the 2005 V8 engine uses the timing belt and the 2007 V6 uses timing chain. Ensure the timing belt is done as scheduled or account for the cost if you plan to buy it. I do not trust most mechanics in Naija doing such work so to have a peace of mind, you might need to shell some good amount with a reputable mechanic to get it done right.

Also, as I pointed out before, if you will be buying a pre 2007, ensure you check the transmission fluid to make sure it hasn't mixed with the coolant due to damaged radiator. If the radiator looks relatively new, check the transmission very well because what happens sometimes is owners flush the transmission fluid and change the radiator after the radiator malfunctions. A lot of times, the transmission will start malfunctioning not too long after. Believe me, I know all about this. It happened to my colleague's 03 Tundra and he had to change the transmission. It happened to a 4runner I owned also.

If you end up buying the Tundra, just install an after market transmission fluid cooler. Not only will it prevent having the mixed coolant and transmission fluid possible problem, it will also help maintain your transmission system better especially if you will be doing a lot of hauling and off-roading. Another option is to just change the radiator as soon as you buy it. I do it to all my Toyota trucks as part of my initial maintenance and it takes me no more than an hour. I just buy and after market (new) radiator and nothing fancy.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by kingreign(m): 2:57pm On Mar 14, 2017
layifioren:

As mentioned by EgunMogaji, it is just down to your preference. The only thing is, IIRC, the 2005 V8 engine uses the timing belt and the 2007 V6 uses timing chain. Ensure the timing belt is done as scheduled or account for the cost if you plan to buy it. I do not trust most mechanics in Naija doing such work so to have a peace of mind, you might need to shell some good amount with a reputable mechanic to get it done right.

Also, as I pointed out before, if you will be buying a pre 2007, ensure you check the transmission fluid to make sure it hasn't mixed with the coolant due to damaged radiator. If the radiator looks relatively new, check the transmission very well because what happens sometimes is owners flush the transmission fluid and change the radiator after the radiator malfunctions. A lot of times, the transmission will start malfunctioning not too long after. Believe me, I know all about this. It happened to my colleague's 03 Tundra and he had to change the transmission. It happened to a 4runner I owned also.

If you end up buying the Tundra, just install an after market transmission fluid cooler. Not only will it prevent having the mixed coolant and transmission fluid possible problem, it will also help maintain your transmission system better especially if you will be doing a lot of hauling and off-roading. Another option is to just change the radiator as soon as you buy it. I do it to all my Toyota trucks as part of my initial maintenance and it takes me no more than an hour. I just buy and after market (new) radiator and nothing fancy.

you really know these trucks smiley
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by Mrcharming(m): 3:33pm On Mar 14, 2017
EgunMogaji:

That one is now personal preference.
Gas is cheap enough in Nigeria.
Gas cheap? Maybe if you own a filling station or have an oil bloc. Lols.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 14, 2017
Mrcharming:

Gas cheap? Maybe if you own a filling station or have an oil bloc. Lols.

Yes, gas is cheap and I don't own an oil block.

YMMV.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by adanny01(m): 12:23am On Mar 15, 2017
layifioren:

In the US, the only midsize/small truck Toyota make is the Tacoma. Frontier is Nissan. Tacomas are not so hot in Nigeria I suppose but they are the most sold midsized truck in the US. Their sales is part of why the Rangers were stop being produced at least for the main time. The Rangers I think are still being built in Australia. I saw some in SW Asia late last year that I believed were imported from Australia.

Funny enough, Honda Ridgeline is the one currently topping the midsized trucks charts in the US.

You guys can argue all you want.

For many reasons, i hate Tacoma. It looks like its a match box on top of tires.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by sultaan(m): 12:59am On Mar 15, 2017
Mrcharming:

What if I offer to buy N1m worth of fuel for you if you buy the V8. On top of the fuel you will need to run the V6 truck.

Think about this, you will have to spend about N5m on fuel in the V6 truck before the fuel economy of the V8 cost breaks even with the initial N1m difference in price
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by layifioren(m): 2:06pm On Mar 15, 2017
adanny01:

Funny enough, Honda Ridgeline is the one currently topping the midsized trucks charts in the US.

You guys can argue all you want.

For many reasons, i hate Tacoma. It looks like its a match box on top of tires.

I actually never did this but I decided to after this comment. First I wasn't sure if I wanted to categorize the Ridgeline as a midsized truck or if I should consider it at a "truck" because of it's similarity to the Chevy Avalanche. Anyways, I went ahead and typed in verbatim "midsized truck with most sales in the us" into google. This link is first on google:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/01/2016-usa-pickup-truck-sales-by-model.html

Tacoma was rated with all trucks (small, mid sized and full) and it came in #5 behind GMC Sierra with 191,631 sales in 2016. Ridgeline came in #10 with 23,667 sales.

Then I went to the next link and it says the same with slightly different number of sales in the US (174,117 in 2016). Here is the link:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/12/best-selling-pickup-trucks-november-2016.html

And then there's this:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/12/can-gm-catch-toyota-tacoma-midsize-truck-market.aspx

So, it's not an opinion. It's a fact that Toyota Tacoma is the highest sold small/midsized truck in the US as of 2016 (as current as a report as we can get). It doesn't mean we all have to like it though. I can't stand a Bentley with a passion, it doesn't mean I don't respect the vehicle's performance or status though.

Funny enough, in the first two links above, the Ford F series (150, 205, 350), Ram truck series (1500, 2500, 3500) and GMC Sierra series (1500, 2500 and 3500) were all clumped together within their respective makers for the ratings and Tacoma still came in 5th. So, that's Tacoma against ALL F series, all Ram truck series and on.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by diportivo: 2:25pm On Mar 15, 2017
U guys should stop all these

OP,buy one already

I'm interested in the beer and fish dat we will use in washing it

Next post shld be a picture of the ride by u mr OP sir

1 Like

Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by layifioren(m): 2:31pm On Mar 15, 2017
diportivo:

OP,buy one already

I agree except I no dey drink beer and I no too like fish. But I go take suya and palm wine though.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by Mrcharming(m): 3:41pm On Mar 15, 2017
diportivo:

OP,buy one already

Delicious soup takes thought and money, my dear. I don't wanna rush into something I would regret, that's why am seeking the opinion of experts in the house. An African proverb says, he who asks for directions would not get lost. I may settle for the v8 cos it seems the difference btw it and v6 ain't much. But I would be relying on @Egunmogaji for fuel though, seems he has a filling station.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by Nobody: 4:51pm On Mar 15, 2017
Mrcharming:

Delicious soup takes thought and money, my dear. I don't wanna rush into something I would regret, that's why am seeking the opinion of experts in the house. An African proverb says, he who asks for directions would not get lost. I may settle for the v8 cos it seems the difference btw it and v6 ain't much. But I would be relying on @Egunmogaji for fuel though, seems he has a filling station.

I don't have a filing station but I just know fuel is cheap in Nigeria.

I filled up my Kurupe the other day at $3.50 per US gallon so even when we convert to liters then you'll see where I'm coming from.

Never was a day that I lamented about price of gas for my Brutus in Nigeria.

In Yoruba language "ai todo tosi ni wipe konkon diju, alakan diju"

I'll never buy less than the full option of any particular vehicle.

On that note, I'm out good luck on your decision, I can only take so much e bashing cool
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by ukandi1(m): 7:55am On Mar 16, 2017
nurey:

You have not said anything out of extra ordinary I have driven this cars in off road and I can tell you a Tacoma has got nothing to out class a Navigator off road where the Tacoma will go, I have gladly taken the Navigator and it performed well. Ask about the old abeokuta Igbo Ora road.

There is no need not to compare, I was not comparing speed, luxury or build quality. I was simply comparing off road ability. grin

But d navigator is not a mini truck na... Why compare it with a Tacoma ?
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by nurey(m): 9:03am On Mar 16, 2017
ukandi1:

But d navigator is not a mini truck na... Why compare it with a Tacoma ?
That is why it is always good to read a topic from the beginning rather than pick out what suites you. The only comparison I was arguing about is the fact that my learned friend was adamant a Tacoma is better in off road performance than a Lincoln Navigator.

Now I have a question for you, does it mean that trucks are far more superior in off road than an off road cuv or suv? If your answer is yes, give me the reason why?

Note: I am talking in terms of driving and navigating nothing else
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by komekn(m): 10:32am On Mar 16, 2017
Considering your original question but laying my response on the purposes and intended use.

Have you considered the Ford F150 FX 4X4, this is the number one selling pick up trucks in the USA for donkey years.

Firstly our mad bias for all things Toyota tells me it will be considerably cheaper than a Tundra. You are linked in I presume, so buying brand new OEM parts for your Ford will be easy.

One of my friends is in construction and took his advice from a haulage company in Northern Nigeria where they found the Tundra not as reliable and fuel efficient as the F150.

He has had the F150 for near two years not one problem another associat in Uyo has had a 2009 F150 for over 5 years beyond routine maintenance nothing to report.

The difference in fuel consumption between the V8 and the V6 is not as pronounced as you may think. Driving style, load levels and road conditions will determine your fuel consumption. Indeed the bigger V8 may give you better consumption under heavier loads.

Do the research make your choice and if I derailed somewhat apologies.
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by Mrcharming(m): 2:07pm On Mar 16, 2017
komekn:
Considering your original question but laying my response on the purposes and intended use.

Have you considered the Ford F150 FX 4X4, this is the number one selling pick up trucks in the USA for donkey years.

Firstly our mad bias for all things Toyota tells me it will be considerably cheaper than a Tundra. You are linked in I presume, so buying brand new OEM parts for your Ford will be easy.

One of my friends is in construction and took his advice from a haulage company in Northern Nigeria where they found the Tundra not as reliable and fuel efficient as the F150.

He has had the F150 for near two years not one problem another associat in Uyo has had a 2009 F150 for over 5 years beyond routine maintenance nothing to report.

The difference in fuel consumption between the V8 and the V6 is not as pronounced as you may think. Driving style, load levels and road conditions will determine your fuel consumption. Indeed the bigger V8 may give you better consumption under heavier loads.

Do the research make your choice and if I derailed somewhat apologies.

Advice noted, thanks. Will cast my net wider.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by chiefbuchiV12(m): 12:14am On Mar 17, 2017
Cheii see debate.........
*in black magic's voice_ easy oh......
Uncle Op! You may want to try Tundra TRD version, Dodge Ram PowerWagon, Ford F-150 raptor,or just kukuma wait for Mercedes to launch the new X class Stylish Explorer or Powerful Adventurer variants and thank me later
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by sultaan(m): 3:35am On Mar 18, 2017
I understand buying Toyota but sometimes to upfront cost is discouraging

EgunMogaji:

I don't have a filing station but I just know fuel is cheap in Nigeria.

I filled up my Kurupe the other day at $3.50 per US gallon so even when we convert to liters then you'll see where I'm coming from.

Never was a day that I lamented about price of gas for my Brutus in Nigeria.

In Yoruba language "ai todo tosi ni wipe konkon diju, alakan diju"

I'll never buy less than the full option of any particular vehicle.

On that note, I'm out good luck on your decision, I can only take so much e bashing cool

I didn't understand the proverb
I thinks it's about frogs, crabs closing eyes

But also remember that your price range is between $3k and $6k including shipping and import duty so you can imaging what kind of truck was purchased at that low price
Re: Toyota Tundra Experience by AceRoyal: 3:14pm On Mar 18, 2017
EgunMogaji:

No real autoist will disagree with you.
Team Toyota T100

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

NISSIAN INFINTY QX4 IS OVERHEATING PLEASE HELP / Inside Innoson Motor Manufacturing Plant Nnewi Nigeria – World’s 1st Black Owned / Honest Review Of This Toks 1999 Manual Tranny Honda Civic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.