Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,473 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade (10294 Views)

The 10 Best Nigerian Albums Of 2015 / Most Highly Anticipated Albums Of 2016 / Your Top 5 Nigerian Albums Of All Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by eldee(m): 6:10pm On Dec 17, 2009
GNBohr:

truth be told, most of these people are no musicians, cant play musical instruments, rely on keyboard, have no bands, mime to their own music at their own shows. songs are not inspirational, very odious. How many of these albums get any attention now. watch any local TV stations or listen to local FMs even Nigezie on HiTv and you will understand they are all dead songs. Nobody listens to them much longer, they are now part of history. Which party plays such music again.

They have all been pushed into oblivion by new non-inspirational and odious albums. An album can only be regarded as best of the decades when it is consistently being listened to and video shown regularly through out the years in the decade. None of them qualify. No wonder one of the music awards organised gave Obiwon the song of the decade award. Obiwon himself has not even spend five years on the Nigerian music scene.

For me the Sunny Nneji's album containing the track "Oruka" and Martins' "Olo mi" has been proving worthy of being regarded as Albums of the decade. No weekend pass by in Nigeria without people listening and dancing to those two albums.

Here we go again with the party track mentality.
Go to the real parties and see who plays there . . . ask anyone how much KSA charges for performances.
Or have you forgotten how Lagbaja entertained a live crowd at Motherland for years with songs of this album??
Femi's Shoki Shoki and Se Were still rock at the African shrine . . . that's what's true relevance.

It's about looking at your Itunes and knowing that you can pick an album in ten years and still enjoy it. . . that's what it's all about. Internatinal acclaim, local celebrity.

Oruka was a one-hit wonder, I've not seen the Tosin Martins album yet.
They're nowhere near contenders for Album of the Decade.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by eldee(m): 6:12pm On Dec 17, 2009
tosinaded@:

four songs or not, that album sure moved and made a huge impact on the naija music scene tongue

Come on . . . it is not even an album.
When I want Best Four Song Cd of the decade, I'll remember to add Olufunmi grin grin
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by rockyfela(m): 6:16pm On Dec 17, 2009
@ GNBohr to be an artist u don't need 2 play any instrument. And what does playing instrument have 2 do wiv great albums?
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by tosinaded(m): 6:17pm On Dec 17, 2009
eldee:

Here we go again with the party track mentality.
Go to the real parties and see who plays there . . . ask anyone how much KSA charges for performances.
Or have you forgotten how Lagbaja entertained a live crowd at Motherland for years with songs of this album??
Femi's Shoki Shoki and Se Were still rock at the African shrine . . . that's what's true relevance.

It's about looking at your Itunes and knowing that you can pick an album in ten years and still enjoy it. . . that's what it's all about. Internatinal acclaim, local celebrity.

Oruka was a one-hit wonder, I've not seen the Tosin Martins album yet.
They're nowhere near contenders for Album of the Decade

i couldnt agree less jare undecided
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by MrCrackles(m): 6:21pm On Dec 17, 2009
tosinaded@:

do people really know wut albums are
some posts here got me thinking  grin
I wonder. . . .  grin grin grin
Let me keep the lid on the expletives and curses tank!!! cool
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by eldee(m): 6:23pm On Dec 17, 2009
tosinaded@:

i couldnt agree less jare undecided

Let's look at it

How many good songs were on the Unchained album?? Oruka was perfect, Face Me was great, Tolotolo was not that good . . . Highlife Dance Floor was creative . . . name one other good song on that album.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by tosinaded(m): 6:25pm On Dec 17, 2009
u even try sef . . . . . after oruka, thats all for me
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by rockyfela(m): 6:39pm On Dec 17, 2009
you go mind the guy. apart 4rm olomi by tosin martins i no sabi nothing else. we dey talk of albums when u go hardly skip any song ma guy dey here dey yarn him own.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Abagworo(m): 6:44pm On Dec 17, 2009
tosinaded@:

pls i dnt get that part of your post o

ep means that it isnt a full album by standard but is sold as an album.

lp is a full album with more than 8 tracks while ep is usually 3 to 7 tracks.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by tosinaded(m): 6:48pm On Dec 17, 2009
Abagworo:

ep means that it isnt a full album by standard but is sold as an album.

lp is a full album with more than 8 tracks while ep is usually 3 to 7 tracks.

ok now i get ur prev post!
u on pont
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by kushe: 9:27pm On Dec 17, 2009
not in any paticular order and with a few notes  

i am in no way leaking boots but since naa you start this thread

1]eldee album 1- sun ree was an amazing tribute to a lost friend and the 1st day i listened to the words i teared up quite a bit and i repeated it
                            quite a bit
                        -i cant remember the title but that song about the state of the nation in yoruba was the bomb 4 me and i played that thing quite a
                          bit

eldee album 2-bo si gbangba kajo was sheer genius
                      -the phone call that led to pack your things and go oo.eldee naa u bikoooooooooo

[i hav read quite a bit of critque about the whole nate dogg thingy you got going on but i think it works well for you and personally there is longevity in the singing rather than the rap]

2] 9ice album 1- who ?
          album 2-where have you been all our lives??
                      -street credibility 5 GBOSA
                      -gongo aso          5 gbosa
                     -photocopy          1 TRILLION GBOSA

ALBUM 3-9ice but why now?wetin do you now? ISOLATE JOOOOOOOO!!!

3]MI ABAGA    -what more can i say and i aint even in their generation. PURE GENIUS

4]WANDE COOOAAAL MOOOO HITS- This album is intoxicating and i get high every time i listen to it.
                                                      how did he come up with that jeun soke track SIMPLY AMAZING

5]STYL PLUS -2003/4 this guys did something to music in nigeria even if they had only olufunmi

6]TIMAYA album 2 -Naa waa ooo,butter boy like me dey love timaya,i no understand eeeeeeee
Naa God do am for you eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
timaya doesnt need to be poetic with his words,just add eeeeeee or oooooooo at the end but we love yoy shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

7]P SQUARE - ALBUM 2 on point
-ALBUM 3 UNA KILL AM
-ALBUM 4 who gave who the flu 9ice or u

8]2 face -album 1 -1 trillion gbosa
-album 2 -1 billion gbosa
-album 3 - NO GBOSA

9]BANKY W -THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO NAIJA MUSIC IN A BIT

10]ASA -NOTHING FIT TOUCH YOU.I WILL PAY 30 GRAND TO WATCH YOU EVEN IN A RECESSION COS YOU REIGN OVER NAIJA MUSIC,
AWEEEE ,IBO LO LOO KAAA TAFIN WA OO ,KAA OOOOOOOOOOOO AAAAASSSSSSSAAAAAAAA!!!!!

WATCH OUT FOR THE NEXT BEST THING AND I CAN TELL ONE WHEN I HEAR ONE AND HER NAME -MO CHEDDAH!!!

i no sabi am from adam oooooo,but the girl has it and she must blow.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by kenerep: 11:51pm On Dec 17, 2009
While Tu-Face has tried in the Nigerian music scene Styl Plus were good to listen to but made little sense in the Nigerian contest ( More American). The writer s quite handsome in his pickings whereby he has really chosen songs that portrays the true Nigerian not the foreign Nigeria!
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by keldiddy: 5:04am On Dec 18, 2009
Apart from Gongo Aso by 9ice another outstanding album was Blackky's 'about tyme"
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by THEAMAKA1: 5:10am On Dec 18, 2009
kenerep:

While Tu-Face has tried in the Nigerian music scene Styl Plus were good to listen to but made little sense in the Nigerian contest ( More American). The writer s quite handsome in his pickings whereby he has really chosen songs that portrays the true Nigerian not the foreign Nigeria!
true. i see your point.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by kushe: 6:43am On Dec 18, 2009
IS THERE A CREATIVITY CURSE WITH PROMINENT ARTISTS

I know homeboy has received enuf bashing already but 9ice the beloved you have disappointed quite a few of us.This is my take and take note cos if banky w and eldee can come up with amazing follow ups to critically acclaimed stuff then you guys all bringing out garbage ought to take note.why i know mention timaya,the perfect companion for a lagos ibadan expressway that might hav thoughtless traffic,[everybody carry cutlass eee,jehovah dey by my side eeee,lai lai i no go last eeeee,my own don better eeeeeee, ]

people anticipated gongo aso the album like crazy after the single and the album killed the single and not vice versa.i feel 9ice was not prepared for the storm he had created especially with a gazillion young bros doing the 9ice thingy[jaywon ,isolate ]and his creative recess was too long.
Artists are to strike when the iron is hottest i.e when their creative juices are still flowing and for that reason they should never be far from an audience and the studio.tours are not just for making money like naija artists have turned it into,you need to tour to feed on the energy of the audience and watch out for the songs they clamour for and what songs they know the words cos this gives you a hint if you need commercial acclaim.if however you are into genre bending and critical acclaim you might lose your audience.

I cannot count how many artists in the states claim to have written classic songs and albums on their tour bus cos the energy around touring is creative.naija artists pls start touring and stop playing shows for the highest payer.the moment light improves and the technology is rampant people are going to stop buying CDs and simply search the internet for what is hot and listen for free.you naa still dey shout piracy well you aint seen nothing yet cos the phenomenon is not going to get worse it is going to get ridiculous.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Knight1(m): 9:39am On Dec 18, 2009
If i were to award the album of the decade, i'll give it to
Asa-Asa
As poster said, at a time when most musicians' brains was facing one direction, this genius came up from the unknown and everywhere was like 'have u heard about ASA' which was really good plus her songs make sense!!!
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by yeswecan(m): 8:16pm On Dec 18, 2009
naeto c
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by tosinaded(m): 8:36pm On Dec 18, 2009
yeswecan:

naeto c

undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Nobody: 8:56pm On Dec 18, 2009
Albums of the Decade means classics or just any album with a hit track, P square, Dbanj, Wande Coal, MI, Mode 9 are sure not close to that, 2face and 9ice have albums to classified as classics most def
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by keldiddy: 12:47pm On Dec 19, 2009
@yeswecan,

U said neacto simply becos of "kini big deal". That was just a good track not an album
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by eldee(m): 6:07pm On Dec 19, 2009
zhiggy:

Albums of the Decade means classics or just any album with a hit track, P square, Dbanj, Wande Coal, MI, Mode 9 are sure not close to that, 2face and 9ice have albums to classified as classics most def

You obviously didn't listen to No Long Thing.

No Long Thing had songs like Ika Oda and Mobolowowon . . . Dbanj's masterful control of the harmonica reminds me of SSP.
Talking bout taking it back to the motherland, Dbanj did that literally with Iya Mi.
It was a pure classic. Tongolo and Socor are still crazy party tracks till now.

Dbanj and M.I are prolly the only Naija artistes that can drop hit singles every year non-stop.
That shows the importance of having a good team behind you to help your creativity.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by tosinaded(m): 6:12pm On Dec 19, 2009
eldee:

You obviously didn't listen to No Long Thing.

No Long Thing had songs like Ika Oda and Mobolowowon . . . Dbanj's masterful control of the harmonica reminds me of SSP.
Talking bout taking it back to the motherland, Dbanj did that literally with Iya Mi.
It was a pure classic. Tongolo and Socor are still crazy party tracks till now.

[b]Dbanj and M.I are prolly the only Naija artistes that can drop hit singles every year non-stop.[/b]That shows the importance of having a good team behind you to help your creativity.

add psquare to that list, and 2face
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by kpolli(m): 10:16pm On Dec 19, 2009
only two albums thru out the decade had songs that actually hits, D'Banj - Entertainer and Tuface - (the first one)
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Genuflect(m): 11:02pm On Dec 19, 2009
^^^What the ****?
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by kpolli(m): 11:10pm On Dec 19, 2009
i forgot to add a lot of songs in the albums were hits
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Abagworo(m): 1:32pm On Dec 20, 2009
The albums with 100% hit singles are styl plus' olufunmi,2face's face2face,p-square's get squared and more recently d-banj's entertainer.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by keldiddy: 1:45pm On Dec 20, 2009
some need to go back to the drawing board!
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by kpolli(m): 9:41pm On Dec 20, 2009
Abagworo:

The albums with 100% hit singles are styl plus' olufunmi,2face's face2face,p-square's get squared and more recently d-banj's entertainer.

apart from olufunmi n runaway. which othersong wa a hit in that album, stayalive??
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by Abagworo(m): 11:30pm On Dec 20, 2009
kpolli:

apart from olufunmi n runaway. which othersong wa a hit in that album, stayalive??

call my name and olufunmi remix and thats all the 5 tracks in the E.P.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by keldiddy: 5:23pm On Dec 21, 2009
well, wait for my album, to come up
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by belelikfin(m): 10:39am On Dec 26, 2009
I guess you guys are just running your mouths from left to right instead of doing an opinion pole for naija to vote.
Re: Best Nigerian Albums Of The Decade by keldiddy: 11:19am On Jan 02, 2010
@ Belelikfin,

You ain't serious!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Watch Official VIDEO| D’banj – Emergency / Pls Where Can I Download Some Foreign Old Skool Blues / Rema - Iron Man.(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.