Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,801 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' (3258 Views)

(Full List) Golden Eaglets FIFA U17 World Cup Squad / African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Super Eagles FIFA Confederations Cup Squad! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 3:56pm On Dec 17, 2009
Nigeria coach Shuaibu Amodu says time is too short for any of the three domestic league players called up, to make the final 23-man squad for the Africa Cup of Nations.
Amodu, with prodding from the NFF, listed three home-based players, two from champions Bayelsa United, but says none would make the final team.

“By the time we resume camp for the African Cup of Nations, it would be barely less than eight days to go. It’s practically impossible to re-mould these home-based players to fit into the squad for the challenges of the tournament we are going into," Amodu said.

“Definitely, they would be good for one thing – practice, and not for the tournament,” he said.

This latest statement is bound to provoke further criticism of the coach, who has come under fire for his team's playing style. But the former BCC Lions and Sharks coach insists that he is the best Nigerian coach on the basis of his record.

“I stand bold to say it that there is no coach currently in this country that is as good as I am. My records are there, and they speak volume about my performance.”

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT THIS STATEMENT IS THE FACT THAT HE EVEN CALLED UP INJURED PLAYERS ON HIS 32 MAN LIST. I DON'T WANT HIM SACKED BUT HE'S NOT GETTING THINGS RIGHT AND I AM GETTING WORRIED. undecided undecided undecided
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 4:03pm On Dec 17, 2009
Amodu's missing home-based XI

Posted: 2009-12-17 07:44

Nigeria coach Shuaibu Amodu's decision to list just three domestic league players in his 32-man squad to go into camp for the African Nations Cup in Angola has been the subject of deep disapproval within the country.
KickOff's Colin Udoh looks at a selection of a League XI that Amodu could have considered, based on the coach's favoured 4-3-3 formation.

GK: Austin Brown, Heartland
Earned his spurs in goal for Dolphins before moving to Heartland, where his nimble feet, razor-sharp reflexes and command of his area helped the Naze Millionaires to the Final of the CAF Champions League.

RB: John Nnam, Rangers
Okay, I cheated a bit here. Nnam is more of a right midfielder these days, but he started out at right back under the tutelage of Lawrence 'Nigeria's Arsene Wenger' Akpokona and is such a versatile player that he can not only slot in there, but also at centre back.
He is strong and uncompromising in the tackle and offers a potent offensive, goalscoring threat going forward.

LB: Valentine Nwabili, Enyimba
This was an agonising choice between ex Sharks man Nwabili, Dolphins' Mutiu Adegoke and Heartland's Joseph Eyimofe, all of whom have been in superb form the past two seasons.
I decided to plump for Nwabili simply because the other two have had bites at the international cherry in the past.
The Enyimba man has one of the most cultured left feet in the business, is a strong, wiry character and bounds down the left flank with almost inexhaustible reserves.

CB: ThankGod Ike, Heartland
What else can one say about this big, strong and powerful centreback. His mean defending at the back was one of several factors responsioble for propelling Heartland to that CAF Final, and he remains one who may still get a phone call from Amodu.

CB: Nnaemeka Anyanwu, Enyimba
Another graduate of Rangers from the Lawrence Akpokona years, Anyanwu is one of the best liberos (forgive the old-fashioned term) in the business, cleaning up after the likes of Ike when necessary.

DM: Jonah Abutu, Dolphins
Another position where I had to think hard and still feel bad about leaving out a player. Emmanuel Omodiagbe would slot in here just as easily as Abutu, but knowing Amodu's preference for big men, Abutu shades it.
Additionally, the former Sharks and Bayelsa United man edges it in the strength department, and his holding responsibilities aside, is as great at bringing the ball out as he is closing down the channels and breaking up the opponents play.

DM: Solomon Okpako, Kano Pillars
Okpako is one of the most underrated players in the domestic league, but so was Claude Makelele. The Pillars holding midfielder excels at doing the simplest of things very well as he not only shields his back four, but also reads the play with uncanny ability. Along with Abutu, will provide the perfect platform for an offensive midfield player.

AM: Josiah Maduabuchi, Enyimba
Since being pulled from the wide right position and planted in a central attacking midfield role, Maduabuchi has blossomed, and is now the fulcrum of Enyimba's attacking movement.
Has a good eye for the right pass and picks them with consumate ease. Plus his time as a winger means he can run at people and still ping in balls from just about, and to, anywhere with precision.
Heartland's Stanley Okoro is another option here.

RM/F: Osanga King, Heartland
Showed his qualities at the African Youth Championships and remains one of the best wide players in the domestic league.
His delivery may still need work, but Osanga's ability is not in doubt.

LM/F: Osas Idehen, Enyimba
Maybe it should be enough to say that he leads the Premier League goalscoring charts with 7 goals in 10 games.
But additional qualities that Osas brings to bear are his tireless running and ability to get in behind the defence.

CF: Ibrahim Babale, Sunshine Stars
There is not a more consistent forward in the Nigeria Premier League. Babale has hit double figures during the past three seasons, and has great hold-up skills.
Broke his leg last season but has returned to lead Stars' attack.

Formation 4-3-3

Austin Brown

John Nnam - ThankGod Ike - Nnaemeka Anyanwu - Valentine Nwabili

Jonah Abutu Solomon Okpako

Josiah Maduabuchi

King Osanga Osas Idehen

Ibrahim Babale

Colin Udoh
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 4:06pm On Dec 17, 2009
Sagamite:

The injured players are Yobo, Martins and Olofinjana.

All 3 are important players in the team and they are expected by their clubs to have recovered by the end of the year, well before the Jan 10 start of ANC. So I have no problem him inviting them.

England worked round the clock and almost set-up a Department for Metatarsal in their best Unis to get Beckham ready at the last minute for WC2002 and Rooney for Euro 2004.

Furthermore, he has only included them in the Camping list, not final list. If they are not fit or well, he has an option to still drop them.

dang, i rather have ajilore (though he's fb too than olofinjana), for God sake, does it mean none of these players listed here can't be drafted instead of calling on these injured ones? what if they recover a day before the tournament or they lie about their recoveries?
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by Sagamite(m): 4:14pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

dang, i rather have ajilore (though he's fb too than olofinjana), for God sake, does it mean none of these players listed here can't be drafted instead of calling on these injured ones? what if they recover a day before the tournament or they lie about their recoveries?

I prefer Ajilore too for attacking role but Olofin for defensive role.

That said, Ajilore dey camp list na!

You can't easily lie about your recovery, dem get Doctors wey go assess you and do test on you. If during the test, you gnash your teeth say "Ye", you never fit.  grin

I no know any of the players on your list apart from one name a I barely recognise: OSANGA.

I can't remember which team of Nigeria he played for but I have a tag of "mo-ron" next to his name.

Where Nigeria lacks is authority in the midfield and a player on the left midfield, which is a result of lack of hunger, not ability. Mikel, Kaita, Ajilore, Olofinjana would do better than any HB player if they get the hunger.

Left midfield is where I will worry.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 4:18pm On Dec 17, 2009
Sagamite:

You can't easily lie about your recovery, dem get Doctors wey go assess you and do test on you. If during the test, you gnash your teeth say "Ye", you never fit.  grin

I no know any of the players on your list apart from one name a I barely recognise: OSANGA.

I can't remember which team of Nigeria he played for but I have a tag of "mo-ron" next to his name.

Where Nigeria lacks is authority in the midfield and a player on the left midfield, which is a result of lack of hunger, not ability. Mikel, Kaita, Ajilore, Olofinjana would do better than any HB player if they get the hunger.

You are not worried about the bench?
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by Sagamite(m): 4:24pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

You are not married about the bench?

Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 4:46pm On Dec 17, 2009
Sagamite:

sorry bro, i wasn't concentrating, please let me finish what i am doing right now, then i can concentrate to engage you in a healthy discussion.
thanks
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 5:56pm On Dec 17, 2009
Sagamite:

I didn't know Ajilore is on the list, but then, that means we have up to 5 defensive midfielders in that list, that sucks.

Our players are fond of lying and feigning injury just to avoid coming to matches so i won't be surprised if some of them does that after they must have been picked by Amodu

Osanga is a good winger, all he needs is exposure and experience from the older ones as they call them.

Since we don't have a creative midfielder, we can as well switch to the wings but that's another problem entirely.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by Sagamite(m): 7:20pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

I didn't know Ajilore is on the list, but then, that means we have up to 5 defensive midfielders in that list, that sucks.

Our players are fond of lying and feigning injury just to avoid coming to matches so i won't be surprised if some of them does that after they must have been picked by Amodu

Osanga is a good winger, all he needs is exposure and experience from the older ones as they call them.

Since we don't have a creative midfielder, we can as well switch to the wings but that's another problem entirely.

Haba, have you ever seen a player feign injury under Amodu or, more improtantly, to avoid playing ANC or, most importantly, in a WC year when you need to impress the coach. Impossible!

Ajilore is primarily an AM, and Mikel and Olofinjana can also play AM, so can Kanu, Obodo, Kalu and Obasi. Most Nigerian players are versatile. So I see nothing to worry about.

The Osanga I saw was one headless, brainless black man that would justify Oyinbo calling us Monkeys. I remember having a prayer marathon causing him for 6 hours after seeing him play for Nigeria in 2 games. angry grin

We are playing mostly 4-3-3, utilising Odems, Ike, Obasi, Martins, Nsofor on wings.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by khanye(m): 7:33pm On Dec 17, 2009
Since being pulled from the wide right position and planted in a central attacking midfield role, Maduabuchi has blossomed, and is now the fulcrum of Enyimba's attacking movement.
Has a good eye for the right pass and picks them with consumate ease. Plus his time as a winger means he can run at people and still ping in balls from just about, and to, anywhere with precision.
Heartland's Stanley Okoro is another option here.

he's one of the best player in the NL
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 8:46pm On Dec 17, 2009
khanye:

he's one of the best player in the NL

I think he''s good but have you watched him play?
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 8:58pm On Dec 17, 2009
Sagamite:

Haba, have you ever seen a player feign injury under Amodu or, more improtantly, to avoid playing ANC or, most importantly, in a WC year when you need to impress the coach. Impossible!

Ajilore is primarily an AM, and Mikel and Olofinjana can also play AM, so can Kanu, Obodo, Kalu and Obasi. Most Nigerian players are versatile. So I see nothing to worry about.

The Osanga I saw was one headless, brainless black man that would justify Oyinbo calling us Monkeys. I remember having a prayer marathon causing him for 6 hours after seeing him play for Nigeria in 2 games. angry grin

We are playing mostly 4-3-3, utilising Odems, Ike, Obasi, Martins, Nsofor on wings.

Well, it's possible oo, anything can happen lol, but then no one has yet feigned an injury under Amodu but they are very good at coming to camp late.

Attacking midfielder? who? Ajilore, not in this world, the Ajilore of Holland 2005 and 2009 Olympics is not and has never been an Attacking Midfielder. Olofinjana is a waste of a space if he's ever played as an attacking Midfielder, he can't even play a precise shot, no power in his shot, no good passes, no long pass accuracy either, so he's out of the picture, Mikel can be used as one since this was his real position when he played in Holland 2005.
But then he has lost all the qualities of a good creative (attacking) midfielder, all he does not is to hold on to the ball (the only attribute of an attacking midfielder left in him) and to always pass the ball backward (the stupid method Mourinho forced him to adopt)

Obodo is the only choice we have now, Kanu is too old to do that and can't even play a regular 45 minutes without looking like someone who's about to collapse. Obasi can never be made to play as a creative midfielder, he's not good at passing and with that, he's disqualified. Kalu's another option but his passes aren't good too and he's not a force in the midfield, i would prefer he's used upfront.

I still repeat, Osanga is a good winger if he's given proper experience, i mean he should be allowed to train with the older super eagles, that guy is still going to be a force to reckon with when it comes to wing play. he just need exposure from the older ones.

only Odem, Obasi and Nsofor are good for the wing play, Martins can't be used there, he's not good there, he should stay as a striker or a loner at the front.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by Sagamite(m): 10:32pm On Dec 17, 2009
honeric01:

Well, it's possible oo, anything can happen lol, but then no one has yet feigned an injury under Amodu but they are very good at coming to camp late.

I never hear of am except he give them permission. He has brought discipline to the team that is why I find it funny when some disillusional analyst on NL says he does not command their respect.

honeric01:

Attacking midfielder? who? Ajilore, not in this world, the Ajilore of Holland 2005 and 2009 Olympics is not and has never been an Attacking Midfielder.

You are right. Probably I need to correct myself a bit.

He might be best described as a CM. But he does attack a lot as he takes shot at goals frequently.

honeric01:

Olofinjana is a waste of a space if he's ever played as an attacking Midfielder, he can't even play a precise shot, no power in his shot, no good passes, no long pass accuracy either, so he's out of the picture, Mikel can be used as one since this was his real position when he played in Holland 2005.

Na, you are wrong on both.

In his clubs, he has mainly played AM or CM. At Wolves he was completely AM, and used to score a healthy number of goals for a midfielder with them. He is by no measure the best AM and I would not play him in that position.

In SE, he has always been tasked with the DM role and like Garuba Lawal he has done the thankless role of interruptor. All last 3 SE coaches have always trusted him with this task, so he must be doing something right.

honeric01:

But then he has lost all the qualities of a good creative (attacking) midfielder, all he does not is to hold on to the ball (the only attribute of an attacking midfielder left in him) and to always pass the ball backward (the silly method Mourinho forced him to adopt)

You are spot on.

honeric01:

Obodo is the only choice we have now, Kanu is too old to do that and can't even play a regular 45 minutes without looking like someone who's about to collapse. Obasi can never be made to play as a creative midfielder, he's not good at passing and with that, he's disqualified. Kalu's another option but his passes aren't good too and he's not a force in the midfield, i would prefer he's used upfront.

You are spot on again.

But I have never been one to be rigid. If I was coach, I would not look at what should be, I will look at what it is. If we don't have quality AM, then play a formation based on what we have. Why not Olofinjana, Mikel and Etuhu as CMs whilst the 3 skillful strikers upfront do majority of the attacking and never fall back so there is always counter-attack opportunities.

Even France won the WC with 2 DMs (Vieira and Petit/Deschamp). So utilise what you have to get your result.

honeric01:

I still repeat, Osanga is a good winger if he's given proper experience, i mean he should be allowed to train with the older super eagles, that guy is still going to be a force to reckon with when it comes to wing play. he just need exposure from the older ones.

only Odem, Obasi and Nsofor are good for the wing play, Martins can't be used there, he's not good there, he should stay as a striker or a loner at the front.

Osanga, I will just have to take your word and pray because I remember having so much hate for that guy.

Yes, I agree with your Martins analysis. I would add Ike when he is fit for that wing play. With what we have at the moment, we can easily play 4-3-3 or 4-4-2.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by Sagamite(m): 10:52pm On Dec 17, 2009
I just checked the list again, Obodo is not there. I thought I saw him on the list earlier. Mix up.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 11:13pm On Dec 17, 2009
Sagamite:

I never hear of am except he give them permission. He has brought discipline to the team that is why I find it funny when some disillusional analyst on NL says he does not command their respect.

Well, well, but they still come late, ask Obafemi and he will tell you, even Mikel na baba for late comer, he must have learnt that in primary school. grin

Sagamite:

He might be best described as a CM. But he does attack a lot as he takes shot at goals frequently.

And how many has he ever scored so far since he's been taking shots? undecided

Sagamite:

Na, you are wrong on both.

In his clubs, he has mainly played AM or CM. At Wolves he was completely AM, and used to score a healthy number of goals for a midfielder with them. He is by no measure the best AM and I would not play him in that position.

In SE, he has always been tasked with the DM role and like Garuba Lawal he has done the thankless role of interruptor. All last 3 SE coaches have always trusted him with this task, so he must be doing something right.

He can ever play as a striker in wolves (stoke city) but this is the Super Eagles of Nigeria, not a relegation prone team, Olofinjana will never be my choice of DM, he's very slow in tracking down opponent and because i know how many fouls he committed and how many cards he received at the last 2 nations cup he attended (2 or 1 nations cup, i can't remember self), they must be using him because of his body, he's big and might put fear in his opponents, that's the only advantage i see in him, Ayila and Ajilore are all round DM than him.

Sagamite:

But I have never been one to be rigid. If I was coach, I would not look at what should be, I will look at what it is. If we don't have quality AM, then play a formation based on what we have. Why not Olofinjana, Mikel and Etuhu as CMs whilst the 3 skillful strikers upfront do majority of the attacking and never fall back so there is always counter-attack opportunities.

Even France won the WC with 2 DMs (Vieira and Petit/Deschamp). So utilise what you have to get your result.

Well he tried using Etuhu as a CM in our last game at home, he didn't do well in that match and later got injured, maybe using Obodo as an AM, and then Ajilore/Ayila and Mikel as two DM would do the magic, i still repeat, i don't want Olofinjana in that line up, he might be useful as a sub for any of the DM.

Sagamite:

Osanga, I will just have to take your word and pray because I remember having so much hate for that guy.

He's good and Oseni is another Winger we should consider watching.

Sagamite:

Yes, I agree with your Martins analysis. I would add Ike when he is fit for that wing play. With what we have at the moment, we can easily play 4-3-3 or 4-4-2.

Yes, if Ike is fit, he should also be used in the front but not as a winger, they are both good strikers, they should only concentrate striking.

One more thing, Apalla and Emerano should leave that SE, they are not materials for the Eagles, we have better strikers in our league who can do better than those frogjumpers. i wish you could watch some of the leagues matches to see so yourself, Ogaga (kano pillars) is better than these 2 players.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 11:20pm On Dec 17, 2009
Sagamite:

I just checked the list again, Obodo is not there. I thought I saw him on the list earlier. Mix up.

Another problem, now it's complicated, no creativeness in the middle of the field.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 10:33pm On Dec 18, 2009

This guy should have been picked, at least to make the 32 man list, he's a good AM and might be a good choice for us in the middle if we can allow him prove himself. but then Amodu has already picked his choices.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 10:34pm On Dec 18, 2009
Ibenegbu vows to glamourise Eagles

Ikechukwu Ibenegbu has promised that he will not only break into the Super Eagles final 23 to next month's Africa Cup of Nations, but will 'bring glamour' to the team's much-maligned midfield.
"I believe I am one of the best creative midfielders in the League and I am sure I will make the team to the Nations Cup because I will bring glamour and creativity to the midfield that people have been talking about," he told KickOffNigeria.com.

Ibenegbu and Bayelsa United goalkeeper Bassey Akpan were late and somewhat surprise home-based inclusions into the list of 32 released by Nigeria coach Shuaibu Amodu this week after pressure from the NFF, but the creative midfielder says the call-up came as no surprise.

"It was not a surprise to me. When I heard that they were going to invite home-based players, I knew my name would be there because I believe I am one of the best players in the League."

Amodu said on Wednesday that time was too short for any of the local players would make the final squad, but Ibenegbu says he is confident of gate-crashing the party.

"I believe in myself and I know that I am not going there to be a training material, but to make the team."
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 10:39pm On Dec 18, 2009
All the laurels Nigeria has won so far has mainly been won by home based players, so what's really special about these so called foreign based players? because we see them on tv playing with players from other countries or what? what have they really achieved for us that the home based players are yet to achieve for us? undecided undecided undecided
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 10:41pm On Dec 18, 2009
1980 Nations cup was won solely by our home based players, 1994 Nations cup was also won mostly by home based players so what's the fuss about this thing called professionalism in these foreign based players that hasn't won us any thing tangible?
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by ow11(m): 10:03am On Dec 19, 2009
honeric01:

1980 Nations cup was won solely by our home based players, 1994 Nations cup was also won mostly by home based players so what's the fuss about this thing called professionalism in these foreign based players that hasn't won us any thing tangible?

I read somewhere that our HB eagles are not too good given their shambolic performance at the last CHAN. . .That said, I would disagree with the notion that choice of players for that squad were the best from our league because of the exploits of our clubs in recent past on the continent.

Maduabuchi and Idehen are two good players that Nigerians need to watch play in the green jersey. I have watched Osanga during the champions league and U-20 and I find him very raw in decision making to warrant a starting berth during the next AFCON. As a winger, the ability to deliver the ball at the right time is paramount and when you get this wrong consistently, you begin to look like Ricardo Quaresma.

Maybe we would suggest that Osanga has to improve a little bit before he is ready for the Super Eagles. Then again, if that team can parade the likes of Eneramo and Etafia embarassed why not Osanga. The only home based player I miss in that list is the Heartland vice-captain ThankGod Ike!
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 10:38am On Dec 19, 2009
ow11:

I read somewhere that our HB eagles are not too good given their shambolic performance at the last CHAN. . .That said, I would disagree with the notion that choice of players for that squad were the best from our league because of the exploits of our clubs in recent past on the continent.

Maduabuchi and Idehen are two good players that Nigerians need to watch play in the green jersey. I have watched Osanga during the champions league and U-20 and I find him very raw in decision making to warrant a starting berth during the next AFCON. As a winger, the ability to deliver the ball at the right time is paramount and when you get this wrong consistently, you begin to look like Ricardo Quaresma.

Maybe we would suggest that Osanga has to improve a little bit before he is ready for the Super Eagles. Then again, if that team can parade the likes of Eneramo and Etafia embarassed why not Osanga. The only home based player I miss in that list is the Heartland vice-captain ThankGod Ike!

Nah, for now, Osanga should stay out of the SE, he's kinda naive, he should be in the u-23 before being brought in, but for experience purposes, he can as well be made to practice with the boys. We have alot of players, i said alot that needs to be given exposure. OSENI, SALAMI, CHRISTANTUS, RABIU IBRAHIM, MONDAY JOHN, UDOH .e.t.c, those guys should not be left out of the SE after next year's world cup. Furthermore, if you scroll down, you'd see list of potential HB players that should be considered too.

And as for the HB players that went for the WAFU cup, i believe that those players weren't our best in the league and i think someone played politics with the selection. they didn't even qualify for the HBANC. (Home base African Nations Cup), they were suppose to qualify through the WAFU cup but got knocked out. all the same, THE SUPER EAGLES NEED A 90% OVERHAULING NEXT YEAR AFTER THE WORLDCUP.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by Sagamite(m): 11:33pm On Dec 19, 2009
honeric01:

All the laurels Nigeria has won so far has mainly been won by home based players, so what's really special about these so called foreign based players? because we see them on tv playing with players from other countries or what? what have they really achieved for us that the home based players are yet to achieve for us? undecided undecided undecided

This has no bearing.

ANC 1994 and Olympics were mainly FBs.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 3:29pm On Dec 20, 2009
Sagamite:

This has no bearing.

ANC 1994 and Olympics were mainly FBs.

mainly what? check the years some of the FB started playing in Europe, it's like maybe it was because they played in Europe, that was why they won the cup, alot of them even played in other African clubs, not like they were all playing in big or known clubs like that. the 1980 nations cup was mainly HB and most of our u-17, u-20 were home based before the start of any of the tournaments they won.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by Sagamite(m): 4:26pm On Dec 20, 2009
honeric01:

mainly what? check the years some of the FB started playing in Europe, it's like maybe it was because they played in Europe, that was why they won the cup, alot of them even played in other African clubs, not like they were all playing in big or known clubs like that. the 1980 nations cup was mainly HB and most of our u-17, u-20 were home based before the start of any of the tournaments they won.

The teams you are playing with in the 1980s are not the calibre of the teams today.

The U17 and U20 are over-aged.

You want to take a team composed of Wikki tourist and Enyimba to face CIV or Ghana? Dem go collect goals and autographs.

Even Mali la san go give them goals, jersey souvenirs and autographs.

The opposition today pass 1980.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 4:56pm On Dec 20, 2009
Sagamite:

The teams you are playing with in the 1980s are not the calibre of the teams today.

The U17 and U20 are over-aged.

You want to take a team composed of Wikki tourist and Enyimba to face CIV or Ghana? Dem go collect goals and autographs.

Even Mali la san go give them goals, jersey souvenirs and autographs.

The opposition today pass 1980.

It's like you are not getting the picture, are you trying to say Nigerian league has no player that can be as average as the current players we have now if exposed by inviting them for friendlies, allowing them mix with the current players? check out the Algerian, Tunisian, Moroccan and Egyptian teams, they are made up of mostly 80% home base, can't we be so? even bukina faso.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by Sagamite(m): 8:08pm On Dec 20, 2009
honeric01:

It's like you are not getting the picture, are you trying to say Nigerian league has no player that can be as average as the current players we have now if exposed by inviting them for friendlies, allowing them mix with the current players? check out the Algerian, Tunisian, Moroccan and Egyptian teams, they are made up of mostly 80% home base, can't we be so? even bukina faso.

Honestly, I wouldn't know if any HB player is SE quality until he plays in SE as I don't have access to NPL matches.

Based on historical knowledge and lack of awareness of any much difference, I don't think it is a balanced argument to compare Nigerian HB players to the countries named above based on my knowledge (archaic maybe) of the Nigerian League. Historically, the leagues of these nations mentioned have been of higher standard in play, better in organisation and richer than NPL hence they retain their quality players and even attract the best from other countries around the world. Their leagues have a HUUUUGE local following and is really professional unlike NPL.

So because they are using HB does not justify that we do the same (from my knowledge of NPL).
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 8:55pm On Dec 20, 2009
Sagamite:

Honestly, I wouldn't know if any HB player is SE quality until he plays in SE as I don't have access to NPL matches.

Based on historical knowledge and lack of awareness of any much difference, I don't think it is a balanced argument to compare Nigerian HB players to the countries named above based on my knowledge (archaic maybe) of the Nigerian League. Historically, the leagues of these nations mentioned have been of higher standard in play, better in organisation and richer than NPL hence they retain their quality players and even attract the best from other countries around the world. Their leagues have a HUUUUGE local following and is really professional unlike NPL.

So because they are using HB does not justify that we do the same (from my knowledge of NPL).

Since you don't watch our league, let me school you for now.
  The just concluded caf champions league was won by TP Mazembe, they got the win by beating Nigerian Heartland of Owerri, but before then, 2 Nigerian teams got to the semi-final (Heartland and Kano Pillars), before Pillars was knocked out by Heartland. this same pillars that was knocked out by heartland knocked out ALMIGHTY Alhaly of Egypt (90% of the Egyptian national team players are from this club), they won their first leg here in Nigeria (sani abacha stadium) by 2:1, and went on to draw with them away 2:2.
here is the result of our two representatives for this year's champions league.

11-01-2009 [Nigeria]  Heartland FC 2 - 1 TP Mazembe  [RD Congo] 
11-07-2009 [RD Congo]  TP Mazembe 1 - 0 Heartland FC  [Nigeria] 

Semi finals
10-04-2009 [Nigeria]  Heartland FC 4 - 0 Kano Pillars  [Nigeria] 
10-10-2009 [Nigeria]  Kano Pillars 0 - 1 Heartland FC  [Nigeria] 
10-18-2009 [RD Congo]  TP Mazembe 0 - 2 Al Hilal  [Sudan] 

Group B
07-19-2009 [RD Congo]  TP Mazembe 2 - 0 Heartland FC  [Nigeria] 
08-02-2009 [Nigeria]  Heartland FC 3 - 1 Monomotapa  [Zimbabwe]
08-16-2009 [Nigeria]  Heartland FC 3 - 0 ES Sahel  [Tunisia]
08-29-2009 [Tunisia]  ES Sahel 0 - 0 Heartland FC  [Nigeria] 
09-20-2009 [Zimbabwe]  Monomotapa 2 - 1 Heartland FC  [Nigeria] 

Group A
07-18-2009 [Zambia]  Zesco United 1 - 1 Kano Pillars  [Nigeria]
08-01-2009 [Nigeria]  Kano Pillars 3 - 1 Al Merreikh  [Sudan] 
08-14-2009 [Sudan]  El Hilal 2 - 0 Kano Pillars  [Nigeria]
08-30-2009 [Nigeria]  Kano Pillars 2 - 1 El Hilal  [Sudan] 
09-13-2009 [Nigeria]  Kano Pillars 3 - 2 Zesco United  [Zambia]   
09-19-2009 [Sudan]  Al Merreikh 1 - 1 Kano Pillars  [Nigeria] 

1/8th Finals
04-18-2009 [Nigeria]  Kano Pillars 1 - 1 Al Ahly  [Egypt]   
04-19-2009 [Nigeria]  Heartland FC 2 - 1 Coton Sport  [Cameroon]
05-02-2009 [Cameroon]  Coton Sport 1 - 1 Heartland FC  [Nigeria] 
05-02-2009 [Egypt]  Al Ahly 2 - 2 Kano Pillars  [Nigeria]

1/16th Finals 
03-15-2009 [Senegal]  AS Douanes 1 - 1 Kano Pillars  [Nigeria] 
03-15-2009 [Nigeria]  Heartland FC 3 - 1 FAR Rabat  [Morocco] 
04-04-2009 [Morocco]  FAR Rabat 1 - 1 Heartland FC  [Nigeria] 
04-04-2009 [Nigeria]  Kano Pillars 0 - 0 AS Douanes  [Senegal]   

Preliminary round
01-31-2009 [Nigeria]  Heartland FC 4 - 0 Black Star FC  [Liberia]
01-31-2009 [Nigeria]  Kano Pillars 2 - 0 Elect Sport  [Tchad]   
02-14-2009 [Tchad]  Elect Sport 0 - 0 Kano Pillars  [Nigeria] 
02-15-2009 [Burundi]  Inter Star 0 - 1 Canon Yaoundé  [Cameroon]
02-15-2009 [Liberia]  Black Star FC 1 - 6 Heartland FC  [Nigeria]

most of their opponents have more than 50% of their own players playing for their national team, so figure out their performance and tell me if any player from any of these 2 Nigerian clubs are not worth inviting to the national team.

I didn't bother to tell you about the competition going on in our league now. our league is almost the best competitive league in the WORLD if not the best. you can debate me on that. CAF rated us the best in Africa and FIFA rated us the second in the WORLD based on competitiveness, yet you think no player warrants a call up from this league?
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by Sagamite(m): 1:10am On Dec 21, 2009
Hmmm.

As I said, my knowledge is old. It seems they have improved.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 1:12am On Dec 21, 2009
Sagamite:

Hmmm.

As I said, my knowledge is old. It seems they have improved.

Ok, just so sad that even those who watch some of these matches (our league) don't believe in our own as if those playing in Europe didn't start from this same league.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by Royou: 3:59pm On Dec 21, 2009
Amodu is one scared coach and going by what most nigerian who are sentimentally hooked on him would rather do is watch him run a team he has no control over. Amodu has failed before he started on the nations cup prosecution. My barber was able to spot our weakest link in the team and the coach is still thinking. Bottle neck is Central defence and attacking midfield. Right now there are now obvious replacements for Yobo and ? (Nwaneri, Shittu, Adeleye, Apam). Same goes for the attacking midfield role, i believe the biggest risk is to look within and groom for the future.
Re: 'HOME BASE PLAYERS Won’t Make NATIONS CUP Squad' by honeric01(m): 4:03pm On Dec 21, 2009
There's no way you can shy away from the local league, our feature players are still going to be picked from the local league. after 2010 worldcup, 90% of our current players are going to be booted out. mark my words because they no longer worth wearing the green white green jersey.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Latest Official Soccer News, Statistics/transfer Updates From Around The World / Coppa America: Argentina 0:2 Colombia / Franck Ribery Won't Talk To Jerome Boateng Again After Being Covered In Beer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.