Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,759 members, 7,809,925 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:21 PM

Snow Has Come Early In Uk, Chaos - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Snow Has Come Early In Uk, Chaos (985 Views)

Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) / 2016: Hillary Clinton To Decide On Presidential Bid Early Next Year / Snow And Tears Mark Funeral For North Korean Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Snow Has Come Early In Uk, Chaos by ayomidej(f): 8:11am On Dec 18, 2009
Travellers are facing severe transport disruption as heavy snow falls across much of the UK, with south-east and north-east England worst affected.

The Met Office issued severe warnings for heavy snowfall in those two areas, London and the East Midlands.
Up to 20cm (8in) is possible in Kent, Sussex, Surrey, London and East Anglia, with gale-force winds causing drifts.
About 200 drivers on the M20 and M2 in Kent were stuck in tailbacks overnight and flights have also been diverted.
And Essex police said there had been 180 snow-related incidents.
It said none of the incidents was serious but they had received reports of drivers sleeping in cars and vehicles being abandoned.
Conditions are expected to be at their worst in much of the UK during the Friday morning rush hour.
The weather has already caused transport problems in several parts of the country - particularly in south-east England.

A lorry jackknifed on the A21, near Tunbridge Wells, leaving motorists stuck in the snow for three hours.
And a 20mph speed limit was put in place on parts of the M1 overnight.
The A1081, which is the main road connecting Luton Airport to the M1, was gridlocked in the early hours of Friday due to the large number of jackknifed vehicles.

And TV presenter Davina McCall was among those stuck on the A21 in Kent for three hours after a lorry blocked the road.
She told BBC Radio Five Live: "We got wedged in a whole series of cars and it was pelting down with snow."

Flights and trains were disrupted in London and south-east England and motorists spent hours stranded in their cars in the worst affected areas.
A Gatwick Airport spokesman said 16 incoming flights were diverted to other UK airports due to bad weather and three outgoing flights had been cancelled.

He said: "Flights are being diverted to Manchester, Birmingham and other airports as a result of the weather," adding that passengers are being bussed back to London.
Flights to and from Luton Airport have also been cancelled or diverted. The airport will remain closed until 0700 GMT when the situation will be reviewed.

Driving winds and sub-zero temperatures brought blizzard conditions to much of the UK late on Thursday and in the early hours of Friday.

BBC Weather forecaster Sarah Keith-Lucas said: "We have already seen snow arriving across south-east and north-east England."
She said the worst affected areas in south-east England were Greater London, Medway and parts of Kent, which are seeing "extremely heavy snowfall".
The forecaster said up to 20cm could fall in the worst-hit parts of south-east England and East Anglia, while up to 15cm could fall overnight on the North York Moors and the Pennines.

Met Office severe warnings for heavy snow have also been issued for Yorkshire and Humber.
Some 10cm of snow fell on Thursday night in parts of East Anglia, which made driving treacherous.
The Met Office said the heaviest snowfall overnight was in Norfolk, Bedford and Buckinghamshire.
And a second band is causing severe problems across the Thames Estuary, North Kent and Surrey.
Snow also fell in the Brecon area of mid Wales and in the Neath area of south Wales.
Meanwhile, high winds caused snow drifts to form in parts of Cambridgeshire.
Snow is also forecast in parts of central and northern England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Conditions in the south east of the country are expected to ease during Friday, with more cold and icy weather predicted for Saturday and Sunday.

Further snow is predicted over the weekend, particularly across the north of the UK.
However, the Met Office said it was too early to say whether there would be a white Christmas.
A Met Office spokesman said: "Current indications show an ongoing battle between the colder air currently over the UK and milder air pushing in from the west. As a result the forecast for Christmas Day is still too close to call."
Re: Snow Has Come Early In Uk, Chaos by Nobody: 2:58pm On Dec 18, 2009
Apparently, Kent and Hertfordshire are the most affected.
I'm not complaining. . . . I just jejely sidon for house today, . . . .give snow as excuse.

I hope flights don't get cancelled at Heathrow cos my i've got people flying in and out for xmas.
Re: Snow Has Come Early In Uk, Chaos by SeanT21(f): 10:57pm On Dec 18, 2009
Sucks for U people unless u like snow

UK peeps should go outside, take some pics and show us.
wink
Re: Snow Has Come Early In Uk, Chaos by JeSoul(f): 4:06pm On Dec 21, 2009
Blame it on Global Warming erhm I mean Cooling . . . or is it warming? Lol they say GW can cause both extremes right? actually I think they revised that recentlygrin who knows which train or set of incomplete data train are they riding on now.
Re: Snow Has Come Early In Uk, Chaos by Lagosboy: 8:58pm On Dec 21, 2009
I couldnt step out today in berkshire , My sista couldnt get a bus to go home and all taxis were down and I couldnt drive to go pick her. Damn she walked for about 3 hrs in the snow to get home. sad sad

The snow is quite heave in kent, Berkshire, Hertfodshire
Re: Snow Has Come Early In Uk, Chaos by yeswecan(m): 10:24pm On Dec 22, 2009
Global Warming is the biggest scam SIMPLE
Re: Snow Has Come Early In Uk, Chaos by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 23, 2009
Al Gore and his chums are smiling to bank. . .
Re: Snow Has Come Early In Uk, Chaos by chamotex(m): 12:20am On Dec 24, 2009
Re: Snow Has Come Early In Uk, Chaos by SeanT21(f): 5:02am On Dec 24, 2009
Terrible.

(1) (Reply)

Us Militia Members Charged In Plot To Kill Police, Attack Officer's Funeral / Libyan Rebels Are Trained Al Qaeda Operatives / Aljazeera English- American War Movies Are Military Propoganda.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.