Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,257 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting (6173 Views)

Cheap $1 Linux Germany Linux Hosting Plans Unlimited Space | Unlimited Bandwidth / Cheap $1 Linux Germany Linux Hosting Plans Unlimited Space | Unlimited Bandwidt / Best Germany Linux Hosting One Dollar Hosting | $1 Unlimited Hosting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by LekkiHost: 3:37pm On Mar 14, 2017
Linux and Windows are two different types of operating systems. Linux is the most popular operating system for web servers. Since Linux-based hosting is more popular, it has more of the features web designers expect. So unless you have websites which need specific Windows applications, Linux is the preferred choice.

Operating System
Linux OS is open source while Window OS is proprietary due to licensing.

Cost

Linux servers are inexpensive compared to Window's.

Cpanel
Windows servers and Linux servers use different control panels. Linux servers uses Cpanel for all Linux-based hosting plans, such as Linux Shared, Reseller, VPS and Linux Dedicated Servers.It also uses WHM (Windows Host Manager) on Linux Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Servers. Windows servers on the other hand run on plesk.

Development tools
Linux servers offer CGI, perl and PHP while Window servers offer ASP, .NET and PHP.

Database
MySQL database runs on Linux servers while MySQL and MSSQL runs on windows server.

Files
With Linux, files and directory names are case sensitive for example, on a Linux server, home.html and Home.html are different names while they are case insensitive with windows, for example, on a Windows server, home.html, Home.html and HOME.HTML are all the same name.

FTP Access
Linux Os have FTP Access along with Telnet and SSH access while Windows Os has FTP Access.

Alterations
In Linux servers, users can make alterations in the code while in window's, users don't have access to the code to make alterations.

Reliability
Linux servers are stable, robust and have high uptime while windows are less reliable and robust.

For more about web hosting, click on https://www.lekkihost.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by Saint52(m): 6:57am On Mar 15, 2017
I need a good bulletproof hosting provider..

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by SHOPPERS(m): 6:58am On Mar 15, 2017
Like seriously?
So there can be a paid post on the frontpage afterall....

The thread title is misleading. This is not about comparison of the two, it is the explanation of one with prejudice to another.

7 Likes

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by Alleviating: 6:59am On Mar 15, 2017
sad
How did this nonsense even made it to FP.

Mods dun collect bribe sha.
This is totally not what I expected when I saw the title.
Now, it's Crap! Unfollowing the thread undecided

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by hocrusoe(m): 7:00am On Mar 15, 2017
OK.. . Following
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by wiseone10: 7:02am On Mar 15, 2017
OP what is worth doing is worth doing well. I can't say nice try, sorry.
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by airsaylongcon: 7:03am On Mar 15, 2017
You are kidding me
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by Nobody: 7:04am On Mar 15, 2017
Saint52:
I need a good bulletproof hosting provider..

Pm me
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by beautiesplace: 7:05am On Mar 15, 2017
insightful!

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by Ngasky(m): 7:06am On Mar 15, 2017
*Linux server is more flexible to control than windows server.
*Linux server has numerous backdoors than windows server.
*Linux sever software is practically free if you can download while windows server software is paid software.
*Linux server cannot be affected by viruses while windows server can ba affected.
*Linux server has a more detailed log system while windows server has limited log.
*Linux server is more stable than windows server.
*Linux server creates a duplicate default file when a crash occurs and will be found in the same directory with the same name but addition of .back at the end of the filename while sometimes if windows server crashes you have to do a total reformatting of the operating software.
* more than 80% of servers in the world uses Linux OS while only less than 10% runs on windows OS.
*Linux server is simple and flexible to implement, while windows server is rigid to Implement.
*Linux server software is open and free to modify and distribute while windows is not.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by Moganajoe: 7:08am On Mar 15, 2017
LekkiHost:
Linux and Windows are two different types of operating systems. Linux is the most popular operating system for web servers. Since Linux-based hosting is more popular, it has more of the features web designers expect. So unless you have websites which need specific Windows applications, Linux is the preferred choice.

Operating System
Linux OS is open source while Window OS is proprietary due to licensing.

Cost

Linux servers are inexpensive compared to Window's.

Cpanel
Windows servers and Linux servers use different control panels. Linux servers uses Cpanel for all Linux-based hosting plans, such as Linux Shared, Reseller, VPS and Linux Dedicated Servers.It also uses WHM (Windows Host Manager) on Linux Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Servers. Windows servers on the other hand run on plesk.

Development tools
Linux servers offer CGI, perl and PHP while Window servers offer ASP, .NET and PHP.

Database
MySQL database runs on Linux servers while MySQL and MSSQL runs on windows server.

Files
With Linux, files and directory names are case sensitive for example, on a Linux server, home.html and Home.html are different names while they are case insensitive with windows, for example, on a Windows server, home.html, Home.html and HOME.HTML are all the same name.

FTP Access
Linux Os have FTP Access along with Telnet and SSH access while Windows Os has FTP Access.

Alterations
In Linux servers, users can make alterations in the code while in window's, users don't have access to the code to make alterations.

Reliability
Linux servers are stable, robust and have high uptime while windows are less reliable and robust.

For more about web hosting, click on https://www.lekkihost.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Interesting, though i have abandon oracle database for something else.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by surrogatesng: 7:10am On Mar 15, 2017
Nice to know
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by Chuukwudi(m): 7:11am On Mar 15, 2017
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by Efewestern: 7:34am On Mar 15, 2017
this ain't detailed enough, was expecting something....... comment reserved, but you try sha.

One major advantages of Linux hosting is that it's simple to operate. security wise I'd choose Windows hosting.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by talk2hb1(m): 7:47am On Mar 15, 2017
Windows Operating System rules on Desktop, Linux rules on mobiles and Servers undecided
Linux Rules grin
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by wman(m): 8:08am On Mar 15, 2017
SHOPPERS:
Like seriously?
So there can be a paid post on the frontpage afterall....

The thread title is misleading. This is not about comparison of the two, it is the explanation of one with prejudice to another.

No be only today, Same for that importexpert guy.

The problem is someone creates a thread like he is helping. They don't bother to check the contents. They just push it to front page.
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by sunkieisland(m): 8:27am On Mar 15, 2017
this thread is definitely gibberish to some folks here on nl.

imagine someone seeing this and saying

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by fufuNegusi(m): 8:44am On Mar 15, 2017
thanks for this explanation or should i say comparison...

i have been trynna search for this kind of info
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 15, 2017
Now I wannnq learn oracle 11g and 12g. At low cost. Pm me if you have course work or ebooks
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by LekkiHost: 9:03am On Mar 15, 2017
fufuNegusi:
thanks for this explanation or should i say comparison...

i have been trynna search for this kind of info
you are welcome. Glad you find it helpful. if you have more questions relating to hosting to ask, you can do so here https://www.lekkihost.com/forum/index.php
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by LekkiHost: 9:05am On Mar 15, 2017
Efewestern:
this ain't detailed enough, was expecting something....... comment reserved, but you try sha.

One major advantages of Linux hosting is that it's simple to operate. security wise I'd choose Windows hosting.
I just tried to make it simple and easy
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by sse4u: 11:18am On Mar 15, 2017
thanks for the info, very educative

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by cr8v(f): 11:22am On Mar 15, 2017
Get hosted, visit http://eloquenthost.com for a cheap and highly reliable service

Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by uvalued(m): 7:17pm On Mar 15, 2017
Alleviating:
sad
How did this nonsense even made it to FP.

Mods dun collect bribe sha.
This is totally not what I expected when I saw the title.
Now, it's Crap! Unfollowing the thread undecided
4 your mind you don make sense...
Re: Difference Between Linux Hosting And Window Hosting by LekkiHost: 10:10am On Mar 21, 2017
For more hosting related questions feel free to ask here >> https://www.lekkihost.com/forum/index.php <<

(1) (Reply)

Upgrade Your Blogger To A Standard Website ! / 7 Ways To Encourage Comments On Your Blogs By Mediapace / How much is ideal to pay a writer for an article of 1,500 to 2,000 words?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.