Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,732 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos (66908 Views)

40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant / Fresh Start As My Day Old Chicks Arrive / Photos: First Time In 58 Years As Fresh Tomatoes Enters Lagos From Kano By Rail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by 7lives: 8:15am On Mar 15, 2017
MoltenMagma:
Call them _aboki, call them animals, call them worreva but we need them. It shows that every section of the country is important and should not be underrated. Truth

You can say that again, thumbs up bro.
This is an idea that the government of this country should have tapped into but, even this sector has its own cabals who are usually like rats at the corridors of power and because of their political affiliation, the government may not want to step on their toes.
It bleeds my heart whenever I heard that food is cheaper up north but the cost of transportation and the endless police exploitative road blocks are the challenges.
I would sometimes wonder, what exactly is wrong with our brains in this country? these are jobs for trains why trailers.
Thank God my people are waking up, at least with this development trailer owners will know it's no longer business as usual.

2 Likes

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by mfm04622: 8:15am On Mar 15, 2017
stinggy:
Now we are beginning to think smart. The Kano-Lagos rail has never been shut down for the whole 58 years so I wonder why no one thought of this safer and more effective means of moving produces.

GEJ did well on railways but that particular route has always been active (passenger and cargo coaches) since my childhood so if you would give praises, start from the regime that built the tracks.

The railway was comatose for some years before Obasanjo started the reactivation work. The only part of the line that was active throughout was t part from Iddo to Agbado part. Lagos State was involved in ensuring it worked. Kaduna State also worked on part of the line to move people a goods from Kafanchan to Zaria. I believe under Namadi.

For people not transporting perishable goods by rail. As long as the railway do not run on time, it is risky using the railway to move perishable goods. What do I mean. Even these days, one is not sure if the journey will take 36 hours or 5 days! You ar not sure when the train will leave. How can one plan with that?

3 Likes

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by miky10: 8:16am On Mar 15, 2017
well that's a good move n commendable, GEJ would av made this country proud if not for distractors.

1 Like

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by GavelSlam: 8:17am On Mar 15, 2017
Buhari we won't forgive you for this.

1 Like

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by potent5(m): 8:19am On Mar 15, 2017
A good thing is a good thing. This izi goodu.
Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 8:20am On Mar 15, 2017
Nice one we will get there soon..
Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by mfm04622: 8:23am On Mar 15, 2017
hardbody:

Initiated by GEJ

Initiated by OBJ! Go and investigate!

1 Like

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by sekem: 8:24am On Mar 15, 2017
omenkaLives:
Commendable. We hope to see more of this in the days ahead.

God bless Nigeria.

Reno O'mockery, who do we "blame" for this?

Let's blame Arsene Wenger!!! tongue
Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by mfm04622: 8:24am On Mar 15, 2017
miky10:
well that's a good move n commendable, GEJ would av made this country proud if not for distractors.

The reactivation if rail line from Lagos to Kano was awarded by OBJ!

1 Like

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by hotspec(m): 8:25am On Mar 15, 2017
jieta:
and some peoople will say we are no progressing
So moving tomatoes with train for 38hrs from Kano to Lag is Progress? When d same quantity can be moved by by Trailers in less than 14hrs. Moving Cargos from Apapa or PH or Warri to Inland Ports in such hours would have been a PROGRESS as it will drastically decongest those already over-stretched ports, and many jobs will also be created.
Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by modupe2: 8:25am On Mar 15, 2017
This is indeed commendable........

1 Like

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by chyket(m): 8:27am On Mar 15, 2017
We are gradually getting there!!!!Slowly but surely.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by omoiyamayor(m): 8:27am On Mar 15, 2017
Boko Haram is planning
Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by azimibraun: 8:28am On Mar 15, 2017
signz:
I heard that DFID is also involved in this. This is just the trial/pilot scheme phase.

I had a gist with a London based guy in Enugu last dec who claims that he brings in tomatoes into Enugu from north with a " cold van" and the tomatoes are well packed in crates.

I doubted ( still do ) because I wonder where he sells them because it'll damn too expensive.

For those who don't know, the coach is a temperature controlled customised coach (cold room). A company started leasing crates for vegetables sometime November last year and i think a private company is in charge of coaches that don't carry passengers.
I am having a thought about this you know. It could bring down the prices of tomatoes consumed by the poor and Ordinary Nigerians. Think about it. This does not mean that tomatoes will not be transported by road anymore, the rich and big corporations like the 5 star hotels, shopping malls etc will go for the train transported tomatoes for freshness and class, while ordinary Nigerians will go for the Mile 12 tomatoes that came on road. It then means the rich won't have to come and distort the prices of the poor in the market for the poor. They pay just about any amount to buy the same thing the poor man is struggling to beat down the price for. Tomatoes for the super rich thru cold train and Tomatoes for the average Man thru 911. Just my thinking. Right or wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by Wolfbrother(m): 8:29am On Mar 15, 2017
hotspec:
So moving tomatoes with train for 38hrs from Kano to Lag is Progress? When d same quantity can be moved by by Trailers in less than 14hrs. Moving Cargos from Apapa or PH or Warri to Inland Ports in such hours would have been a PROGRESS as it will drastically decongest those already over-stretched ports, and many jobs will also be created.

Trailers are a road safety and environmental hazard

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by anonimi: 8:29am On Mar 15, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by kingdompropty: 8:30am On Mar 15, 2017
Thank God for GEJ.

2 Likes

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by bubbychis(m): 8:31am On Mar 15, 2017
More of it we need ooooo....thanks to the producers...more oil to ur lamp
Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by Sabergol99(m): 8:31am On Mar 15, 2017
mfm04622:

The reactivation if rail line from Lagos to Kano was awarded by OBJ!
My brother anybody can award contracts. Just look at the mambila Power project awarded since the 80's. It takes strong political will to get the job done. So thank you GEJ and thank you Buhari

1 Like

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by anonimi: 8:33am On Mar 15, 2017
stinggy:
Now we are beginning to think smart. The Kano-Lagos rail has never been shut down for the whole 58 years so I wonder why no one thought of this safer and more effective means of moving produces.

GEJ did well on railways but that particular route has always been active (passenger and cargo coaches) since my childhood so if you would give praises, start from the regime that built the tracks.

Why are you being STINGY with the truth
Do you want to contradict the news report by BBC and other media outlets in 2013 i.e. four years ago?

Can Nigeria's renovated railway unite north and south?
13 February 2013

The railway linking the economic powerhouse of Lagos and the conflict-hit north of Nigeria has reopened after more than 10 years. The BBC's Will Ross made the 31-hour train journey and asks whether the train line can help unite this divided country.

Nigeria's railways are making a comeback after virtually grinding to a halt.

The first sign of progress is the reopening of the long defunct rail link between Lagos in the south and Kano in the north.
"This is my first experience on a train since I was at school in the early 1990s. I heard about it through BBC Hausa service so I'm giving it a try," says a Lagos-based businessman, as the train rumbles along at a steady 45km/h (28mph).

"Credit to the government, although we need a better service," he says.

Lagos to Kano rail map

Another passenger shrugs at the 1,100km (685 mile) journey to see his relatives in Kano. He will have just more than a day with his family before having to catch the weekly return service.

"This is a development. I once spent five days travelling by train from Lagos to Kano. The engine would be removed from the train and it be taken for a service whilst we would stay on board," he says.

The state-owned Nigeria Railway Corporation says the rehabilitation of 1,126km of track has cost 24bn naira (£98m; $153m).

With a one-way ticket starting from 1,930 Naira (£7.50; $12), it is far cheaper and, some say, safer than travelling by road.
"Last year an armed robber attacked us on the road. There was shooting but thank God we escaped. I feel safe on the train," says passenger Bukola Ogunbanjo.

En route, we pass abandoned relics of the once thriving railways - rusty, dilapidated carriages and goods wagons as well as crumbling stations.

The scene at Minna Station in Niger State

More from: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-21364541

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by Eleponblue(m): 8:36am On Mar 15, 2017
sarrki:
Enemies of state can you see?
Must you comment on every thread?! You are beginning to sound annoying and boring... #BMC sad

2 Likes

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by sonsomegrigbo: 8:37am On Mar 15, 2017
sarrki:

this sarrki is not current again o.
you never hear say 80% of wailers and haters have committed suicide on seeing PMB arrived in sound health?..
Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by Okundaye4(m): 8:38am On Mar 15, 2017
GOD

BLESS

GEJ

4 Likes

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by anonimi: 8:38am On Mar 15, 2017
hotspec:
So moving tomatoes with train for 38hrs from Kano to Lag is Progress?
When d same quantity can be moved by by Trailers in less than 14hrs.
Moving Cargos from Apapa or PH or Warri to Inland Ports in such hours would have been a PROGRESS as it will drastically decongest those already over-stretched ports, and many jobs will also be created.

Yes it is PROGRESS, which has many definitions including:

forward or onward movement toward a destination.

More from: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=progress+definition&*

Was this happening before, in the last 58 years, as reported

[img]http://diddispatches.files./2014/06/image8.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by eflintsone(m): 8:42am On Mar 15, 2017
MoltenMagma:
Call them _aboki, call them animals, call them worreva but we need them. It shows that every section of the country is important and should not be underrated. Truth
God bless you
Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by dangwarmai(m): 8:44am On Mar 15, 2017
naija1stpikin:
God bless GEJ
Try not to remain a problem to our dear nation. this is what Yaradua started even before Jonathan and is now completed by Buhari. May God bless all of them.
Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by eflintsone(m): 8:44am On Mar 15, 2017
Nukualofa:
What is this one saying? I use Electronics at home so do i need the Japanese to be part of Nigeria before i use it
where is the sense here ?? anyways its easy go get your tomato from japan ok....senseless pple still dey alive sha
Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by anonimi: 8:45am On Mar 15, 2017
sarrki:

Are you calling the dog of ubima, an enemy of the state for DENYING the existence of the railway rehabilitation work carried out under Jonathan's administration.
At least the dog of ubima was compensated with a ministerial position.
What is your own compensation for BMC work beyond the N250k crumbs salary

The Minister of Transportation, Chibuike Amaechi, has stated that he never knew that the railways means of transportation still existed in Nigeria.

Amaechi made this remark on Tuesday when he and other officials of the ministry toured facilities of the Nigeria Railways Corporation, NRC, in Lagos.

He disclosed the intention of the Federal Government to concentrate on building standard gauge railway lines that would be beneficial to the country’s status as a developing economy.

His words: “In fact, I think we have a problem; most people don’t believe that the railway transport is functioning in Nigeria. I didn’t even know, until I started this tour, I never knew that the railway was functioning, it was even from his (MD’s) speech that I learnt that there are some coaches or services that go to Kano or Port Harcourt or elsewhere.

“The federal government will concentrate on standard gauge of the railways, because it is critical that Nigeria becomes one of the countries founded on standard gauge. The only time I had seen railways (trains) or the coaches was one or two days in Lagos, and I thought it started from the beginning of Lagos to the end of Lagos.

“So we need to make people become more aware that the narrow gauge is working, and that people can still use it to travel around that country. There was a joke somebody told me that it takes three days to reach Kano from Lagos on the narrow gauge, and when I asked the managing director of NRC, he said no, it takes one and half days; I said: ‘what’s the difference between three days and one and a half days?’ So that is why the government has to re-emphasize on the need for the construction of the standard gauge to help boost the economy,” the minister stated.

http://dailypost.ng/2015/12/16/i-never-knew-railway-transport-still-existed-in-nigeria-amaechi/

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4266395_amaechineverknewrailways_jpeg93b60e3ad5ed1457c2bc5c7e87dd7984

1 Like

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by ahonye15: 8:46am On Mar 15, 2017
People uses dollar as an Excuss to increase the bprice of commodities and some food stuff, i hope this one is not involved dollar Exchange Rate again. I believe very soon those Business men and women will be put to same or those behind this high Cost of Foods stuff. Hungry dey town ooo. Today na your turn tomorrow is for another person.
Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by anonimi: 8:46am On Mar 15, 2017
dangwarmai:
Try not to remain a problem to our dear nation. this is what Yaradua started even before Jonathan and is now completed by Buhari. May God bless all of them.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3043814_facebook20151105005801_jpeg1027baba4e35e791f3661e85d47d5487

1 Like

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by naija1stpikin: 8:48am On Mar 15, 2017
dangwarmai:
shutop

2 Likes

Re: Fresh Tomatoes Arrive Lagos From Kano By Train After 58 Years. See Photos by stankezzy: 8:49am On Mar 15, 2017
Thank you Good luck Jonathan, we will never forget you

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Facts About SNAKE TOMATOES As A Replacement For The Vine Tomatoes / See The Antelope My Uncle Killed Yesterday / Palm Tree Growing Inside A High Tension Electric Pole In Delta State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.