Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,968 members, 7,814,265 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors (2961 Views)

Thread For Quantity Surveyors, Construction Economist, Cost Expert, Com. Manager / Do Any Body Know What Percentage Lagos State Return To Surveyors? / For Real Estate Developers, Architects,estate Surveyors And Financiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 12:01pm On Mar 15, 2017
Surveyors depend on a variety of software and technology to gather existing information, collect new information, analyze data, produce plans, manage projects, and deliver accurate data. Geographic information system (GIS) technology brings this functionality and more to one place, providing a central location to conduct spatial analysis, overlay data, and integrate other solutions and systems. GIS is built on a database rather than individual project files, enabling surveyors to easily manage, reuse, share, and analyze data, saving them time.
Surveyors play a central role in a range of government agencies and private organizations, from planning and construction to engineering and land boundary determination. Most GIS software solutions are interoperable with the many data formats used in the field and office, allowing surveyors to provide data to various agencies in the required format while maintaining the data’s core integrity.
GIS helps surveyors manage critical data by bringing their technologies together including everything from automated data collection with traditional instruments to the most modern GPS. GIS is of great benefit to a surveyor in the following ways:
1. Developing Infrastructure
2. Project Planning
3. Data Collection
4. Field Measurement
5. Design/Predesign Analysis
6. Construction
7. Land Development
8. Land Analysis
9. Survey Data Management
10. Facility Management
All these ways would be talked about.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by EngrBouss(m): 7:05pm On Mar 15, 2017
Get your original licensed Autodesk AutoCAD , revit and so on software. Fully licensed with cloud capabilities and mobile app. You can contact me 07087210933. You can also check my thread here on www.nairaland.com/engrbouss.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by shams040(m): 9:14pm On Mar 15, 2017
*EGC & ASSOCIATES*

*Our AIM*:
To bring to your finger tips the best in *Town Planning and GIS Mapping Services* and related fields of endeavours inclouding Architectural Designs, Structural Designs, EIA etcetera.

Our Objectives:

1. Processing and perfection of title documents(survey plan, consent, C of O among others);
2. Building plan design and approvals;
3. Layout design and approval;
4. Technical report writing for residential; commercial, industrial and institutional uses eg EIA, TIA;
5. Project development and management;
6. G I S & Remote Sensing Mapping;
7. Academic & Business Research Analyst;
8. 3D Modelling and Animation;
9. Offering professional advice on land and landed property matters; and
10. Solid Waste Management.

www.egcandassociates.org.ng

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 10:01pm On Mar 15, 2017
Developing Infrastructure
Surveying is a vital part of infrastructure development, from building roads and communication systems to establishing transportation networks and pipelines. GIS provides the framework for maintaining and deploying critical data and applications across every aspect of the infrastructure project including data collection, planning, construction, and operations management.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 10:02pm On Mar 15, 2017
Project Planning
Surveyors use GIS to manage the entire planning aspect of a surveying project. GIS provides the tools necessary to research, develop, implement, and monitor the progress of a project and manage site location, environmental impact mitigation, economic analysis, and other critical facets. Scenario-based analysis can then be conducted, giving communities, government agencies, engineers, and others involved a thorough understanding of the project’s impact.
Preliminary Planning
Equipped with GIS tools, surveyors quickly determine environmentally sensitive areas; canopy; local control; road networks; previous established boundaries; and zoning, permit status, and other critical information. These enhanced capabilities eliminate redundant efforts and promote coordination with other planning and government agencies. The information is stored and easily accessed for reuse with any project related to the location.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 10:02pm On Mar 15, 2017
Data Collection
GIS software adds intelligence to spatial data, whether the data is generated in the field with GPS or remotely with lidar and photogrammetry. Surveyors enter raw data, measurements, and field sketches directly into the GIS, enabling them to efficiently manage their data in a central repository (personal geodatabase) with other spatial information, streamlining workflows and improving productivity.
Surveyors use GIS software and technology for collecting, importing, converting, and storing spatial measurement and computational fabrics for agencies and private businesses of any size.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 10:06pm On Mar 15, 2017
Field Measurement
Surveyors rely on a range of data collection devices in the field, from total station angle measurements to high-resolution 3D lidar point clouds. With a GIS software, surveyors not only bring data straight from the field into a geodatabase in a seamless workflow, but they also take GIS data back into the field via a Windows device, data collector, or laptop computer.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 10:07pm On Mar 15, 2017
Design/Predesign Analysis
Site investigation is critical to planning new projects. Surface and subsurface conditions influence survey methods, which affect project cost and scheduling. Surveyors rely on the GIS geodatabase to store, input, and query descriptive soil and geotechnical data and relate it to other predesign engineering information. Using search by elimination concepts, GIS helps develop a heuristic approach to model the process of decision making and generate the potential sites for temporary facilities. GIS helps solve construction layout problems and open a new way of thinking for managing spatial information. GIS takes data that originates from many different sources and file formats and integrates it into a single application platform to support unique civil engineering workflows. Data can be created easily, intuitively, and correctly in both 2D and 3D environments.
Civil engineers use GIS to keep track of multiple urban and regional indicators, forecast future community needs, and plan accordingly to guarantee quality of life for everyone in livable communities. Federal, regional, state, and local planning agencies can realize the power of GIS to identify problems, respond to them efficiently, and share the results with the public.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 10:08pm On Mar 15, 2017
Construction
Construction projects involve complex plans; environmental permits; and critical data that details layout, specifications, and other key design information. For a project to be success¬ful, several aspects must be analyzed and considered including environmental impact, scheduling conflicts, takeoffs, budgeting, site safety, and logistics. GIS technology improves the mechanics and management for building new infrastructure by integrating design and site data, interfacing with machine control, and providing the framework for as-built data collection. All those involved in a project, such as engineers, owners, contractors, and the public, rely on the technology to open communication.
As-Built Surveying
A completed construction project rarely reflects its original plan exactly; instead, variations occur, requiring a revised design plan. GIS technology provides the tools to collect precise site data and document existing conditions. With as-buil surveying infrastructure data, operators use defined operational industry-standard data models. As-built surveying with GIS technology permits the surveyor to deliver data into operational GIS, eliminating costly data conversion and reducing errors.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 10:09pm On Mar 15, 2017
Land Development
Land development involves several areas to consider including site geometrics, roadways, drainage systems, utilities, property boundaries, and building sites. GIS gives surveyors the tools to capture, create new data and improve field data collection, inventories, and integration with GPS measurements. Access to fast, accurate field data is critical, as a cadastre may lose its value if registers and maps are not constantly updated. GIS solutions store data in a central location, giving surveyors the capability to quickly and easily make any necessary changes.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 10:10pm On Mar 15, 2017
Land Analysis
GIS greatly enhance the optimum use of land, functional efficiency of a proposed design and its market¬ability, and overall cost-effectiveness of a project. GIS can be used for terrain, hydrological, land-use suitability, and visibility analyses. It can also be used to assess environmental impacts for determining the consequences of various regulatory requirements.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 10:11pm On Mar 15, 2017
Survey Data Management
The credibility of a surveyor’s data is one of the most critical aspects of any survey. GIS facilitates a seamless flow of information among planners, CAD designers, engineering modelers, and project managers and extends project data and applications to operations and facility managers, field technicians, consultants, and the public. GIS support key data interchange formats. Surveyors using GIS to manage and store individual projects will build a survey information system with time. Instead of storing surveys in isolated, individual files, GIS allows surveyors to store all survey data in one database, providing easy access to past work that can efficiently be reused and overlaid with new data.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 10:12pm On Mar 15, 2017
Facility Management
A surveyor’s information system based on GIS improves efficiency and productivity to improve communication. The system uses GIS to connect all divisions in an organization’s departments from surveying and mapping to accounting, which streamlines workflows, asset management, operations, and planning.
Using GIS throughout the organization allows all sections to share and easily access geographic data. This information system promotes data integrity and facilitates better communication and decision making.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 10:25pm On Mar 15, 2017
Feel free to add other benefits that may have been omitted and ask question relating to the importance of GIS to surveyors or any GIS issue that relates to surveying.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by MosesIgb(m): 11:03am On Mar 16, 2017
Nice thread, am always happy seeing threads on GIS. Other expert in the house should still make contributions to this thread.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 8:26am On Mar 17, 2017
MosesIgb:
Nice thread, am always happy seeing threads on GIS. Other expert in the house should still make contributions to this thread.
Thanks, you can still add yours because i saw a thread on GIS training by you and i think you are an expert in the field of GIS.

1 Like

Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by Mimifumsy: 10:07am On Mar 18, 2017
Would love to know more about GIS, where can I get a practical training on GIS.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by GISNG: 8:30am On Mar 28, 2017
Mimifumsy:
Would love to know more about GIS, where can I get a practical training on GIS.
We carry out a wide range of Practical GIS training from the basics to the advance. Currently our training is opened to those in Lagos. You can send a PM or contact us on 08121504149.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by MosesIgb(m): 7:59am On Jun 02, 2017
GISNG:

Thanks, you can still add yours because i saw a thread on GIS training by you and i think you are an expert in the field of GIS.
Yes am also into GIS and love to see geospatial technology being accepted by all professionals as a tool in problem solving.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by Mimifumsy: 7:36pm On Aug 16, 2017
GISNG:

We carry out a wide range of Practical GIS training from the basics to the advance. Currently our training is opened to those in Lagos. You can send a PM or contact us on 08121504149.
Don't know if the training is still on and do you also carry out one on one training.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by emak1991: 5:11pm On May 05, 2020
My work.I'm a GIS (Geographic information system analyst). I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index).etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by emak1991: 4:33pm On Sep 15, 2020
Learn different aspect In GIS.u will have the opportunity to be trained on different GIS softwares such as ARCGIS,QGIS,Surfer,Global mapper,Smart GIS editor and Idrisi Terrset.
Training areas:
Introduction to GIS (course work)
Georeferencing
Digitizing
How to download ur data
How to input ur data into excel
How to link ur data into Arcgis and Qgis environment
Introduction to Google earth
Network analysis (service area,cost matrix and location allocation )
Hotspot analysis (heatmap)
Terrain analysis
Contour creation
Stream extraction
Vector and raster analysis
Image classification
NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index
Get d best in CENTER FOR GEOSPATIAL SCIENCE AND 3D GRAPHICS DESIGN LTD.
There will be certificate at d end of ur training..........
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by emak1991: 11:13am On Oct 09, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by akin1991: 8:41am On Nov 09, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by akin1991: 10:46pm On Nov 18, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.physical training 40k and online training 7k
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by akin1991: 3:31pm On Nov 26, 2020
For ur training in different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.online training 7k, physical training 40k

Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by akin1991: 2:42pm On Dec 03, 2020
For ur training in different GIS software's such as Arcgis, Qgis, idrisi terrset, Google earth, smartGIs editor, Global mapper and surfer. Analysis performed Include image classification, creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps, thematic maps(population map, election map etc), NDVI, NDWI, time mapping, Geocoding, land cover forecast. etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.online training 7k, physical training now 40k......Location, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State.
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by akin1991: 2:32pm On Dec 22, 2020
For ur training in different GIS software's such as Arcgis, Qgis, idrisi terrset, Google earth, smartGIs editor, Global mapper and surfer. Analysis performed Include image classification, creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps, thematic maps(population map, election map etc), NDVI, NDWI, time mapping, Geocoding, land cover forecast. etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.online training 7k, physical training now 40k.Geospatial Science Enterprise
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by emak1991: 8:42pm On Jan 04, 2021
A GIS online training which runs for 7k now for as low as 2k.this runs from January 4 to January ending...join d WhatsApp link below to join d group where d training will hold.
Follow this link to join my WhatsApp group: https:///GLuk3xOWvq9GoyEi6cPfp0

Or call me on 08106244065 to add u up to the WhatsApp group
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by akin1991: 7:09pm On Jan 05, 2021
A GIS online training which runs for 7k now for as low as 2k.this runs from January 4 to January ending...join d WhatsApp link below to join d group where d training will hold.
Follow this link to join my WhatsApp group: https:///GLuk3xOWvq9GoyEi6cPfp0

Or call me on 08106244065 to add u up to the WhatsApp group
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by akin1991: 8:42am On Jan 08, 2021
Get d best GIS (Geographic information system) training..u will ive d opportunity to learn different things like NDWI(normalized difference water index),NDVI (Normalized difference vegetation index),Time mapping, 3d mapping, georeferencing,digitizing,Geocoding,watershed delineation, stream extraction, digitizing in google earth, image classification, land cover mapping, land change modeler and celulla automata/Markov chain for land cover forecast/prediction, creation of web map(Qgis2web),map publishing (Qgis cloud),preparation of data,buffering analysis, service area analysis, cost path,location allocation analysis, contour mapping etc..... U will also have d opportunity to use different GIS software's such as ArcGis,Qgis,surfer,idrisi terrset,Global mapper,smartGIS, SAS planet,map puzzle etc... Online training 7k, physical training 40k.call 08106244065
Re: Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors by emak1991: 3:21pm On Jan 26, 2021
GIS can be applied to various fields such as agriculture, hydrology, land cover projection, database management etc....learn d best GIS from Geospatial science enterprise....we offer both online training and physical training..... Software's to be taught include ArcGis, Qgis,Surfer, Idrisi Terrset and SAS planet...online training 12k, physical training 40k.....Get d best GIS training....call 08106244065

(1) (2) (Reply)

Salary And Allowances Of The Nigerian Forces / New ICAN Syllabus - Exam Registration 2016 - Lets Meet Here / A Very Clean Man Pictured Hawking Doughnuts On The Street (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.