Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,188 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

Water Purifiers Are A Joke - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Water Purifiers Are A Joke (1260 Views)

Your Husband Cracks A Joke And Your Maid Says 'Naughty Boy', What Will You Do? / Banned Till 2019 In Travels By An Mod:is That Not A Joke Way Too Far? / Are Home Water Purifiers Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Water Purifiers Are A Joke by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 17, 2017
I decided to be more careful with my water and bought one of those over the counter/shelf purifiers.

I looked at the ingredients; Sodium Hypochlorite

Sodium Hypochlorite has very interesting uses. Its a disinfectant - used on wounds, etc.
Uses
Dakin's solution is used to prevent and treat skin and tissue infections that could result from cuts, scrapes and pressure sores. It is also used before and after surgery to prevent surgical wound infections.

Dakin's solution is a type of hypochlorite solution. It is made from bleach that has been diluted and treated to decrease irritation. Chlorine, the active ingredient in Dakin's solution, is a strong antiseptic that kills most forms of bacteria and viruses.

How to use sodium hypochlorite
Pour, apply or spray onto the injured area. When used on wounds, Dakin's solution can be poured onto the affected area as an irrigation or cleanser. It is also used to wet certain types of wound dressings (e.g., wet to moist dressing). Follow your doctor's instructions exactly
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-8253/sodium-hypochlorite/details

Another use of Sodium Hypochlorite is bleaching clothes. Products like Jik, etc are a brand name of substance. Look at your bleaching agents ingredients.

So we are drinking the same thing a doctor will use to clean your wounds in hospital, and what you will be soaking your whites in later.

Something sounds off about all this undecided

Photos; ingredients - water purifier, washing bleach

Re: Water Purifiers Are A Joke by Incrizz(f): 5:54pm On Mar 17, 2017
Your title is so apt.
I know nothing about Sodium Hypochlorite though.
Re: Water Purifiers Are A Joke by Nobody: 6:16pm On Mar 17, 2017
I no nothing about chemicals but it's always felt strange to me that I have to add a certain chemical composition to my water to purify it.

why not boil it instead.
Re: Water Purifiers Are A Joke by An0nimus: 6:49pm On Mar 17, 2017
It may not be Sodium Hypochlorite when it gets into your stomach. Oxidation/Reduction processes may have taken place or the concentration will be too low to harm your system. My high school chemistry is fuzzy.

Except you're a professional chemist or have 100% confirmed your fears, it's to do more research.
Re: Water Purifiers Are A Joke by homerac7: 10:04pm On Mar 17, 2017
Muafrika2:
I decided to be more careful with my water and bought one of those over the counter/shelf purifiers.

I looked at the ingredients; Sodium Hypochlorite

Sodium Hypochlorite has very interesting uses. Its a disinfectant - used on wounds, etc.

Another use of Sodium Hypochlorite is bleaching clothes. Products like Jik, etc are a brand name of substance. Look at your bleaching agents ingredients.

So we are drinking the same thing a doctor will use to clean your wounds in hospital, and what you will be soaking your whites in later.

Something sounds off about all this undecided

Photos; ingredients - water purifier, washing bleach

The joke of ignorance is on you. A little further study would've revealed to you that Hypochlorite is stable solid form of Chlorine-which is the most common disinfectant used in water purification, other disinfection and bleaching purposes.

Ozone, liquid Chlorine and Bromine are substitutes as may be required.

3 Likes

Re: Water Purifiers Are A Joke by Greatbeard(m): 11:50am On Mar 18, 2017
Wrong op.

Acetic acid is present in foods and is also a dangerous chemical.

water is present in bleach, should we stop drinking?

it all depends on if the original compound remains after it carries out its purifying functions of killing the bacteria in water.

I believe this is why products are tested elaborately in the lab, using animals sometimes to establish that humans are safe.

so it works.

The real question should be if the decomposed chemical will remain in the body and accumulate over time.

Best thing to do is to boil your water and decant(carefully pour into a vessel to separate the dirt) it upon cooling.

If you must buy purifiers, buy well known registered brands and note roadside.

1 Like

Re: Water Purifiers Are A Joke by Nobody: 3:47pm On Mar 18, 2017
Greatbeard:
Wrong op.

Acetic acid is present in foods and is also a dangerous chemical.

water is present in bleach, should we stop drinking?

it all depends on if the original compound remains after it carries out its purifying functions of killing the bacteria in water.

I believe this is why products are tested elaborately in the lab, using animals sometimes to establish that humans are safe.

so it works.

The real question should be if the decomposed chemical will remain in the body and accumulate over time.

Best thing to do is to boil your water and decant(carefully pour into a vessel to separate the dirt) it upon cooling.

If you must buy purifiers, buy well known registered brands and note roadside.
Am thinking of boiling too as the only solution.

But I don't believe in the notion that something is safe just because it's on the shelf for distribution to the masses. Anything can be approved with the influence and interests.
Re: Water Purifiers Are A Joke by Greatbeard(m): 10:41pm On Mar 18, 2017
Muafrika2:

Am thinking of boiling too as the only solution.

But I don't believe in the notion that something is safe just because it's on the shelf for distribution to the masses. Anything can be approved with the influence and interests.

Quite true.
sadly, that's the world we live in.

so its preferable to buy from well known brands as they are liable for what they produce as opposed to faceless and generic producers.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Please Is Anybody Here Using Any Type Of Electric Cooker On Prepaid Meter? / 10 Stories About People Whose Will To Live Was Stronger Than Circumstances / Which Is The Best Type Of Ironing/pressing Of Clothes, Steam Ironing Or Dry Iron

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.