Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu (21166 Views)

Queens College Students Win Big At 2020 CONRAD Challenge Finals / Mother Of Queens College Student Who Fixed Lashes Attacks School Security / At Queens College, An Infection Makes Hundreds Of Students Sick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Nobody: 5:03pm On Mar 19, 2017
amynah94:
The principal blames the enemies of the school for what happened, and the vice principal said they're being crucified just because two students died among many......like seriously
Just imagine such statement. Very insensitive and low

4 Likes

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by four4: 5:05pm On Mar 19, 2017
yourexcellency:
this odinkalu is a talkative
and very intelligent
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by ipledge10(m): 5:07pm On Mar 19, 2017
Jacksparr0w127:
how do you people reason? Do you even reason with your head or anus? Somebody has brought a serious issue up and you're here calling him talkative. I fear for the future of this country mehnnnnnn
i swear I don't know you will say this, the comments I am seeing here make wonder if health means anything to us... see statistics 23 out 40 tested for ameobeasis, Main source of water contaminated with E.coli... the school needs to be sealed indefinitely

A case of E.coli that rocks one branch of Chipotle almost wreck the company in 2015
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Nobody: 5:12pm On Mar 19, 2017
Sellfish:
Summary of the epistle

There are a lot of bacteria, viruses and their maggoty brethren presently parading themselves as students of the prestigious Queens College sad

But the school authorities are ontop of the situation...the impostors will be speedily fished out and dealt with ...All bona-fide Queens College students and their families are accordingly advised not to be alarmed, but to go about their usual business smiley

Signed
Buygala Hygienus
College Provost

You are true Nigerian.

You know what the outcome will be.

Very predictable.

smiley
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by adecz: 5:14pm On Mar 19, 2017
Poor hygiene & carriers of deadly diseases working in kitchens.

That's why our top public servants & tiff tiff politicians do not risk putting their children in public schools.

They mostly steal the monies budgeted for the schools & send their own kids abroad or expensive Nigerian schools where fees are N1.5 per term.

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 19, 2017
ipledge10:
i swear I don't know you will say this, the comments I am seeing here make wonder if health means anything to us... see statistics 23 out 40 tested for ameobeasis, Main source of water contaminated with E.coli... the school needs to be sealed indefinitely

A case of E.coli that rocks one branch of Chipotle almost wreck the company in 2015
I think these people just comment without having any idea what they talking about. If the did, they'd have understood how serious the issue is. What's looming with such statistics will be epidemic

That school should be shutdown asap as a matter of urgency

2 Likes

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Pennywise(m): 5:26pm On Mar 19, 2017
It would seem the writer of this piece is on a personal vendetta against the school authorities going as far as advocating for a criminal enquiry.

He proposes some kind of remedial measures without saying a word of what this should be.

I doubt if this borehole was recently sunk. Why didn't the kids have these health problems before now?

From all indications the school has been closed by the State Ministry of Health. Odinkalu is playing the role of a meddling interloper.

His write up sheds no light. It brings only heat.

Reports of water pollution and occasional ill health are not uncommon in schools and communities across Nigeria. This is not the first and certainly won't be the last irrespective of whatever measures are adopted. Should the govt declare a national emergency as requested? Then it should be prepared to do this every other month. This shows naivety and ignorance of how to conduct state business.
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by ipledge10(m): 5:28pm On Mar 19, 2017
Jacksparr0w127:
I think these people just comment without having any idea what they talking about. If the did, they'd have understood how serious the issue is. What's looming with such statistics will be epidemic

That school should be shutdown asap as a matter of urgency
Nigeria have a long way to go, and still have many to learn about public health. You know I work with food, if 3 out all staff test positive for a disease,it's epidemic and not to talk of a whole 23. For finding E.coli in the water, the school needs to shutdown completely

1 Like

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:29pm On Mar 19, 2017
yourexcellency:

You are an illiterate and maybe a dunce as well.
Someone has just alerted you to a public health health emergency with two mortalities and you say he is a talkative.

This country is filled with illiterates and very low quality people

4 Likes

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Nobody: 5:33pm On Mar 19, 2017
Rita Oluwaseun Moses, I don't know your moniker but coman tell us what we don't know already about your famed QC.
You no dey gree me hear word ontop QC matter, oya come oooo .
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:36pm On Mar 19, 2017
Pennywise:
It would seem the writer of this piece is on a personal vendetta against the school authorities going as far as advocating for a criminal enquiry.

He proposes some kind of remedial measures without saying a word of what this should be.

I doubt if this borehole was recently sunk. Why didn't the kids have these health problems before now?

From all indications the school has been closed by the State Ministry of Health. Odinkalu is playing the role of a meddling interloper.

His write up sheds no light. It brings only heat.

Reports of water pollution and occasional ill health are not uncommon in schools and communities across Nigeria. This is not the first and certainly won't be the last irrespective of whatever measures are adopted. Should the govt declare a national emergency as requested? Then it should be prepared to do this every other month. This shows naivety and ignorance of how to conduct state business.

Please keep quiet!

Go to another section where they discuss issues you understand.

There's is coliform contamination of the drinking water and your asking when was the borehole dug?
Fyi: coliforms imply that human waste ( sh..t) has contaminated the water supply.
In addition, the cooks are found to be infested with amebiasis. This causes bacillary dysentery which can spread outside the school into the general population and outside the state.

If this were to occur in the western world ALL the schools in a 100km radius would be closed. All the restaurants in that area would be under inspection. The principal and health officer would be fired. The commissioner of health and education would lose their jobs. The students would be quarantined and treated free of charge. There would be aggressive contact tracing.
You're here implying it's not a big deal

Mr 'heat and no light' commenting where you don't understand jack. Confusing the issues with your half baked opinions.

Are you paid by someone?

We are so good at conducting 'state business' as you say that is why the country is a shithole.

I
I

4 Likes

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by gabe: 5:36pm On Mar 19, 2017
yourexcellency:
u r mad. I dont care if I'm blocked.
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Mintayo(m): 5:37pm On Mar 19, 2017
Oru oro katikati wo lo njade lenu Principal ati V. Principal? shocked like seriously.?
I have said it before, we don't value human life in this country!
The two of them should be suspended asap!

3 Likes

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by kennsville(m): 5:40pm On Mar 19, 2017
firstly. these guys should tell us the truth. enemies of the school bla bla bla. I have my niece admitted at LUTH with somany other from QC. monies spent in taking care of these kids is outrageou not to talk of the psychological effect on both the parents child and others involved. a lot of hardship has been plagued on these parents. my niece has a particular drug administered to her every 4 hours which cost about 5k. then the sick one beside her had already taken one which cost over 18k.
someone has to pay for all but we know the kind of country we are in. information that came to us yesterday had it that the water was tested in nigeria and america to find out the kind of bacteria in it. and presently, 7 bacterias have been isolated cos they were unable to identify it

2 Likes

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by neocortex: 5:48pm On Mar 19, 2017
Only in Nigeria will a public canteen operator not be regularly screened for infectious diseases.
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Pennywise(m): 5:54pm On Mar 19, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Shut up!
Go to another section where they discuss issues you understand.

There's is coliform contamination of the drinking water and your asking when was the borehole dug?
FYI coliforms imply that human waste ( sh..t) had contaminated the water supply.
In addition, the cooks are found to be infested with amebiasis. This causes bacillary dysentery which can spread outside the school into the general population and outside the state.

Mr 'heat and no light' commenting where you don't understand jack.

Are you paid by someone?

We are so good at conducting national business as you say that is why the country is a shithole.

Between you and Odinkalu, I see no difference. U both have single digit IQ, are resistant to common sense and are incapable of learning something new.

A proper autopsy may yet establish unrelated causes of death in the two unfortunate students may their soul RIP.

While Odinkalu like other opportunists have seized the center stage for his own end and devices, it may further obfuscate or make impossible efforts to establish their true cause of death.

Contamination of drinking water and mini epidemics occur almost every other day in schools and gatherings across Nigeria. Does the govt have guidelines or protocol for water and waste management in schools across the country?

If it does, how has the management of QC flouted these guidelines or protocol?

I guess this is above your head and that of Odinkalu.

This is not about writing long essays with a lot of superlatives to embellish it. This is about commonsense. Does your flat head understand any of these?

1 Like

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:00pm On Mar 19, 2017
Pennywise:

Between you and Odinkalu, I see no difference. U both have single digit IQ, are resistant to common sense and are incapable of learning something new.

A proper autopsy may yet establish unrelated causes of death in the two unfortunate students may their soul RIP.

While Odinkalu like other opportunists have seized the center stage for his own end and devices, it may further obfuscate or made impossible to establish their true cause of death.

Contamination of drinking water and mini epidemics occur almost every other day in schools and gatherings across Nigeria. Does the govt have guidelines or protocol for water and waste management across the country?

If it does, how has the management of QC flouted these guidelines or protocol?

I guess this is above your head and that of Odinkalu.

This is not about writing long essays with a lot of superlatives to embellish it. This is about commonsense. Do you understand any of these?

You are still sticking to your stupid opinion.
FYI: I am a medical doctor and I know more than you.
If disease outbreaks occur frequently that makes it a normal thing to your fossilized mind, right?
Shoot the messenger and display your ignorance.

3 Likes

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by spartan117(m): 6:02pm On Mar 19, 2017
eezeribe:
The name of the school should be changed from Queens college to Peasants college.
Gone are the days when such public secondary schools attracted children of the Elites.these days,the real 'Queens' school Abroad or in expensive private schools.

ALWAYS AT THE TOP OF NAIRALAND PREMIER LEAGUE TABLE
"always at the top of nairaland premier league table "

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Pennywise(m): 6:04pm On Mar 19, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

You are still sticking to your stupid opinion.
FYI: I am a medical doctor and I know more than you.
If disease outbreaks occur frequently that makes it a normal thing to your fossilized mind, right?
Shoot the messenger and display your ignorance.
Which medical school did you attend? You have not proven that you know more than a truck pusher. You yahoo Internet fraudster.
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:07pm On Mar 19, 2017
Benin,wise:

Which medical school did you attend? You have not proven that you know more than a truck pusher. You yahoo Internet fraudster.

University of Benin
You?
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by phemi01(m): 6:15pm On Mar 19, 2017
they need to investigate the cause. Maybe polluted water or food. the caterers and food sellers should be investigated as well
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 19, 2017
ipledge10:
Nigeria have a long way to go, and still have many to learn about public health. You know I work with food, if 3 out all staff test positive for a disease,it's epidemic and not to talk of a whole 23. For finding E.coli in the water, the school needs to shutdown completely
Just imagine the principal talking about people trying to pull them down. Hehehe ridiculous

1 Like

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Pennywise(m): 6:17pm On Mar 19, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

University of Benin
You?
Now endeavour to get a real job. Stop making trouble online. You are going to wake up one day and realise you are 40yrs old with nothing to show for it.
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:20pm On Mar 19, 2017
Pennywise:

Now endeavour to get a real job. Stop making trouble online. You are going to wake up one day and realise you are 40yrs old with nothing to show for it.

This guy is dull sha but he's right. Talking to him is a waste of time
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by DisGuy: 6:37pm On Mar 19, 2017
Can't believe someone is not on trial for manslaughter already !!!
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Bluffly: 6:42pm On Mar 19, 2017
eezeribe:
The name of the school should be changed from Queens college to Peasants college.
Gone are the days when such public secondary schools attracted children of the Elites.these days,the real 'Queens' school Abroad or in expensive private schools.

ALWAYS AT THE TOP OF NAIRALAND PREMIER LEAGUE TABLE
Too bad you think this way
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by eluquenson(m): 7:14pm On Mar 19, 2017
It's quite unfortunate that a prestigious government school will not be safe for pupils after all these bacteria found in a water tank.. Haha
The principal authority need to be sacked for negligence and lack of proper care to the pupils.

Catholic Schools are better than all these government schools

2 Likes

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by SIMPLIFIED(m): 7:23pm On Mar 19, 2017
23 out of 40 staff tested positive for amoebiasis and there is Salmonella and E.coli contamination!!! Lord the school needs to be shut indefinitely, this is a serious epidemic. the school is a breeding ground and cross contamination among school children is very common. Lord help us
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by donodion(m): 7:25pm On Mar 19, 2017
nex:
The situation at Queens College (QC), Yaba, Lagos is now a public health emergency and addressing this urgently must preoccupy the attention of the school, public health authorities and the school community.

Pending independent certification of the school as safe for human activity, it should remain closed. Temporary, alternative arrangements should be made for preparation of students about to take their West African School Certificate (WASC) examinations.

USOSA supports the advisory of the Lagos State Ministry of Health to postpone the planned re-opening of the school and is gratified that the new Management of QC has heeded this advice.

Investigations ordered by public health authorities at federal and state levels have disclosed a mortifying state of affairs at QC. Since the beginning of January 2017, over 1,222 QC students have been treated at the school’s clinic for abdominal pain, fever, vomiting and diarrhoea.

16 students were admitted in various hospitals in the country, mostly in and around Lagos. Of this number, nine have reportedly been discharged; two have died, one is still in critical condition at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), having recently come out of coma. In the past 36 hours, another has been admitted into hospital.

Independent laboratory analyses have shown that the water sources in the school are contaminated by different forms of E-Coli and Salmonella, among other dangerous pathogens.

23 of 40 kitchen workers and food handlers have tested positive for Amoebiasis; another three reported positive for Salmonella and at least one is positive for Tape-Worm.

The analysis also indicates that the boreholes that provide principal sources of water for the school are too shallow and too close in proximity to the sewage systems, to which the contamination has been traced. Hyper-chlorination, the envisaged short term solution, cannot and does not provide water that is fit for use. An extensive de-contamination effort is needed.

When parents cried out, the then Principal appeared around 23 February to blame the situation on “enemies of the school”, denying that “there is no epidemic, epidemic is when three-quarters of the population has died”.

Around the same day, a Vice-Principal reportedly complained: “we are looking after 2,800 students and we are being crucified because two die”. From various levels of the Management of QC then, there was clear evidence of reckless disregard for the young lives in their care or worse.

Chidi Anselm Odinkalu

USOSA President-General

This is is very irresponsible of the government representative (s).Blaming a failed infrastructural support on " enemiesmof the school". I mean all the health report indicated up there are Water borne diseases related. The state governement failed in running an effective safe and portable drinking water system, to a public schooll where the lives of wards are been affected IN THEIR THOUSANDS. Over 1200 pupils hospitalised for fvck sake.

Yet Gov Ambode is acceding to a repugnitive environmental law banning portable water businesses and sinking of boreholes except with permits.

Cases like this and the environmental law need to re-evaluated by the state house of assembly, urgently.

1 Like

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by tete7000(m): 7:28pm On Mar 19, 2017
What is USOSA?
Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by Hugo7(m): 8:30pm On Mar 19, 2017
Two dead? And you have the guts to call it only two..how many lives can you give Mr. V.P?

1 Like

Re: The Situation In Queens College Is A Public Health Emergency -chidi Odinkalu by nemynely(m): 10:40pm On Mar 19, 2017
Sellfish:
Summary of the epistle

There are a lot of bacteria, viruses and their maggoty brethren presently parading themselves as students of the prestigious Queens College sad

But the school authorities are ontop of the situation...the impostors will be speedily fished out and dealt with ...All bona-fide Queens College students and their families are accordingly advised not to be alarmed, but to go about their usual business smiley

Signed
Buygala Hygienus
College Provost

Quite satirical. However this QC matter should be handled professionally & with expediency. Human culprits, not bacterial,spiritual or "enemies of the school" should b made to face d consequences of their action(s)/inaction(s).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Benjamin Marcus Graduates As Best Student From Knutsford University Ghana / University Of Manitoba – Cost Of Study And Living And Admission Requirements / Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.