Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,254 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? (3308 Views)

Pastors & Imams Come To Consult Ifa – Ifayemi Elebuibon / An Atheist View On "God's Plan" / Do I Have To Go Along With God's Plan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by JeSoul(f): 9:25pm On Dec 28, 2009
VeriLee:

Hello JeSoul,

Thank you for sticking with me. This is the mark of a true friend. As you can see, I am going through some rather difficult emotional and spiritual turmoil and over the last few months it has affected my relationships with my family and friends and others. It has even affect my productivity at work because I seem to have lost my usual easy-going and happy attitude at work, because this is such a weight on my mind. The decision I have taken is not an easy one and I am sure that this would further disturb my relationships with my community.
  My brother the pleasure is mine smiley. If I can help in any small way then I thank God.

I get devotionals from a particular pastor and in one of his recent episodes he spoke about how he lost his faith for a period of years in his life while he was an evangelist, infact he questioned everything from the bible to whether God truly exists. He spoke of how he began searching again and how he was lost and church leadership could not give him any answers. He was spent and could not function properly at his 'christian duties'. At the time he worked a construction job with a man who wasn't christian but was spiritual and they would have many conversations about God and life. Through these seemingly casual day to day exchanges, his faith in God (not in 'church') was built back up.

I guess what I'm trying to say my brother is that having a crisis of faith is not necessarily a bad thing.

It is through these trying times that you figure out what it is you truly believe and why you believe it and this is a good thing. Many men of faith throughout history have gone thru crises of faith and come out praising God for it. Just take it easy and one day at a time, not allowing it to consume you for the worse.

Unfortunately, I had to come to this decision because I felt I was getting far too many mixed messages from people I had very high regard for. I also felt that these people had been touched individually by God, so it came as a big surprise that there was no uniformity in their advice. It has felt a big question in my mind, namely; what is the point of God having ministers, pastors on earth if God cannot use these people to touch the lives of his children? Yes - I understand these are people, but I was given to understand that these ministers and pastors are people who God had specifically chosen to serve him. Is this now not true? If you pastor said to you that he has received a message from God, you you believe him or not?
   Honestly, I do not accpet 'messages' from any pastor. If it were a very very close friend that I've known and trusted for years and would not hesitate to place my life in his/her hands - it would be different. And even then, I wouldn't "accept" the message, I would listen to it and then test it, wait it out to see if it was true or a lie.

What I'm saying is while God has put Pastors in positions of leadership in the church, it is important for you and everyone else reading to know that:
-pastors do not have any more access to God than others
-they are no more spiritual than others
-they do not hear from God more than others
-they are not "chosen" by God anymore than you and I
-they are no more special or holy or annointed than you or I
-pastors are not meant to be messengers or mediators between man and God, this is Jesus' job
-they are not meant to "touch our lives" and give us direction - this is the Holy Spirit's job

So many have been hurt by the prevailing sentiment that pastors are "men of God" and speak the word of God and they should be listened to and trusted at all times. But the bible never teaches that! not once. The bible teaches to test everything, test everyone who claims to be of God and from God. Even a pastor who is genuine can make mistakes sometimes, which is why you can never take hook line and sinker what anyone says. Even what I'm saying, how would you know if I were lying to you? you must search out these answers from the scriptures yourself. I'm afraid the trust you have had in them has been sorely misplaced my brother. Strip yourself immediately of the lie that "God has chosen and sent pastors". This is a teaching of men, please go and search out what the bible teaches is the duty of pastors.

and I daresay, in these dark times that any pastor or 'prophet' who goes around claiming to have heard from God or to speak for God is a false prophet. God speaks directly to us, this is why we have the Holy Spirit.

You say above that ultimately, everything rests on faith. I see you point, but this is not what constitute my biggest problem. I have taken on faith that God had a plan for me, that his ministers on earth were chosen by him, that he could reveal his plan to me, etc, etc. Should I carry on hold to these views on faith? How do I know Christianity is true? Should I just believe it is true on faith? Well, that would make it no difference from someone who believed on faith that Islam or Buddhism are true?
  Those questions are all loaded my brother, lol and I will not falsely claim to have all the answers. Some answers no one can tell you, you will have to figure out for yourself.

were you taking those sayings of "God has a plan for your life" on faith . . . why? because a 'man of God' said it? or because the bible said so? and does the bible really say so? see the difference?

I believe christianity to be true because I first believed it by faith, then I saw the evidence of my faith in God's working in my life, the changes that followed, the urging and presence of the Holy Spirit, the transforming of my heart, the unmistakable touch of God that resonates within my spirit everyday and in the face of great opposition and 'rational evidence' to the contrary that still Jesus is Lord, His death was to save me from sin and that Calvary is a mystery I will ever barely be able comprehend talkless of expressing it properly to others.

My brother, I will not be so bold as to ever tell you or anyone what to believe, but I will declare day and night that I know beyond all doubt that Jesus is Lord and that God rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

You said above that you once had to make a difficult decision, so I am sure you appreciate my position. I had been in this state of indecision for many many months and it got to a point where I thought I was going crazy. So my decision to pull out of my community for some time will allow me time to think and reflect and bring some sanity back into my life. You said you had some help from the Holy Spirit - Please, can you advise how the Holy Spirit helped and how did you recognise that it was the Holy Spirit and not some other entity?

Many thanks.
At the very core, my predicament was not all that different from yours. What did I do? I spents months and months praying, 'fasted' once a week, and soberly considered the long and short term consequences and ramifications my decision would have on me and those close to me for the rest of my life. I asked the opinions of a few friends I trusted (no pastors). Like I said they gave me differing opinions BUT they did not claim to be speaking for God - this is very important.

After many many months and many tears, I made a decision. I felt so alone, no shoulder to lean on but mine, no one to hold my hand and promise me it would be okay. No one but me. But my brother I tell you, through it all, I felt an overwhelming sense of God's peace about what I chose, infact it blanketed me and became my assurance and it taught me to lean on no one but God and His word.
See Phil 4 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
  This verse could not have been more evident and truer in my life during that time. Which is why I will say again, I believe in Jesus and the bible because I have seen the words jump off those pages and become real and true in my life. And even when God doesn't answer some of my prayers, the incredible things God has done in the past is where I draw inspiration and strength from to keep pressing on and believing.

I will stop rambling now . . . I feel your honesty and sincerity and I really hope you find the truth and that it arrests your soul and holds you captive forever. Godbless my brother smiley
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by b284490: 9:46pm On Dec 28, 2009
JeSoul:

. . . I will stop rambling now . . . I feel your honesty and sincerity

and I really hope you find the truth and that it arrests your soul and holds you captive forever. Godbless my brother smiley

@JeSoul

My sista from another motha . . .

Prosperous and a Joyous New Year in Advance

Its a known fact that peeps decide within the first six lines when to read a mail through

I have trawled VeriLee's posts (i.e. all, they werent that much, a litle bit over 30 or something like that) to get an idea of where he is coming from, where he stands and where he is heading/going  . . .

I've concluded that his quest can be effectively addressed by having a one-to-one discourse

This obsolete wait-for-reply telegraphy similar means of communication is thumbs down and antiquated
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by VeriLee: 2:25pm On Jan 05, 2010
Hello and Happy New Year to all.

Just to give you guys an update. Last week I informed my pastors and elders of the church about the difficulties I have been having with the message they have been preaching and how I find no correlation between that message and what is happening in my life. I also told them that I was going to stop coming to church and that I was investigating other churches/religions/ideas, and that I feel like I have been milked dry for my money and services from their church. They said they understood and that many people go through crisis of faith and that with more prayers from the congregation I should find my way back to faith.

I have now received, through other sources, some information that the pastors and elders don't want other church members to meet me and discuss my problems. It appears that they are scared that I might convert them to my way of thinking and that they might lose their congregation. So much for brotherly love!!

I am now, for the first time in my life, feeling that I am begining to stand on my own feet and making a path for myself. I am beginning to feel that I am making the right decision, without relying on some religious persons or some external factors.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:20pm On Jan 05, 2010
Pastor Jesoul grin grin grin
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by JeSoul(f): 5:02pm On Jan 05, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

Pastor Jesoul grin grin grin
Lol, Chris why dost thou flatter me with such a lofty title? (albeit a regularly misappropriated one)

VeriLee:

Hello and Happy New Year to all.

Just to give you guys an update. Last week I informed my pastors and elders of the church about the difficulties I have been having with the message they have been preaching and how I find no correlation between that message and what is happening in my life. I also told them that I was going to stop coming to church and that I was investigating other churches/religions/ideas, and that I feel like I have been milked dry for my money and services from their church. They said they understood and that many people go through crisis of faith and that with more prayers from the congregation I should find my way back to faith.

I have now received, through other sources, some information that the pastors and elders don't want other church members to meet me and discuss my problems. It appears that they are scared that I might convert them to my way of thinking and that they might lose their congregation. So much for brotherly love!!

I am now, for the first time in my life, feeling that I am begining to stand on my own feet and making a path for myself. I am beginning to feel that I am making the right decision, without relying on some religious persons or some external factors.
This is great news. I pray you continue in this independence which you'll soon find out is true freedom to live out your faith in God and not in man. I also encourage you not to succumb to any pressure that the leadership may mount on you. Any outfit that would revert to such tactics of charging other members to avoid you are showing their true colors.

I pray that after all is said and done, and you've earnestly sought after truth, you find yourself at the foot of the cross of Jesus Christ. Godbless.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by MadMax1(f): 9:41pm On Jan 07, 2010
JS, you are pure fabulousness.

@VeriLee
You can't make up your mind between three women. Your ideal woman is a composite of them all. You're also having a crisis of faith.
Ze voman issue first, ja?
Most married men know the woman they would marry a short interval after meeting her. They think, "I'm going to marry her," or "This is the one." They just know. Ask the married guys you know about this. I don't presume to know what;s in your heart but when a man can't decide between women he's likely not in love with any, though he might like and admire them greatly. Love has no religous colourations. A Christian man falls in love exactly the way a Moslem or Hindu or atheist does, and feels the same feeling. Don't imagine you have to feel some elevated kind of love, whatever that is, just because your pastor screeches 'agape!' from the pulpit every Sunday.

Shared spirituality/religious beliefs add incredible depth and extra dimensions to your relationship with your spouse. I'm tempted to say you love a person and not their religious beliefs so even if she suddenly decides to leave Christianity and worship a blue elephant she#s still the same person. But I'm not sure. What your partner believes matter. And there's that business about not being unequally yoked, which is excellent advice. On the other hand suppose she's as devout as you could wish and you get married, and years into your marrige she has a crisis of faith and begins to lose her religion; what happens then: divorce? You're having a crisis of faith now. Suppose you got married as a nice little religious indoctrinatee, and then this happens; should your wife stop loving you?

To your faith crisis. Perhaps you've been experiencing God vicariously (second-hand) through other people and can't point to a single spiritual encounter that reinforces your faith? Hence the doubts about how God guides his own? I notice you have no doubt as to His existence, which is interesting. It's great you're eschewing religious tradition and settling the question of your faith yourself. I can recommend few Christian books since most of them tell you you're the centre of God's universe and he's spellbound by every single thing you do. But I like HOW TO BE LED BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD by Kenneth Hagin Snr.

Seek God first and how you fit into his program, not how he fits into yours, and everything else will fall into place. He promised that, and if He lies, he's not worth bothering with, is he?

If all else fails, meditate on Daniel Craig. Chaaaant his beautiful name like a rose-guilded mantra. Helps. Totally. cool

Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by JeSoul(f): 3:35pm On Jan 08, 2010
Mad_Max:
If all else fails, meditate on Daniel Craig. Chaaaant his beautiful name like a rose-guilded mantra. Helps. Totally. cool
  grin  grin Max, stop leading the guy astray with that scruffy old man Craig. If you want to suggest a viable alternative it should be Josh Duhamel. And please don't make me include pictoral evidence, NL will crash under the weight of his magnificence  cool
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by JeSoul(f): 3:37pm On Jan 08, 2010
Mad_Max:

Seek God first and how you fit into his program, not how he fits into yours, and everything else will fall into place. He promised that, and if He lies, he's not worth bothering with, is he?
Jokes aside, this is a perfect summation of the entire thing.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by MadMax1(f): 4:03pm On Jan 09, 2010
Josh who??
May the horn of a goat knock him from that pedestal he's squatting on. angry
Craig rules. cool
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by Traugott(m): 7:47pm On Feb 02, 2010
Dear Verilee, I posted an article yesterday titled "How God talks to Christians" and I strongly believe you need to read it. if you have any questions, please ask them there.

Here it is https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-391189.0.html

It is well!

@JeSoul: Thank you for being an ambassador of the Truth! Remain the blessed of God.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by seyibrown(f): 1:20pm On Aug 20, 2010
Dear Verilee,

What's been happening? How did you go about choosing the lucky lady? I hope that you are still keeping the faith!
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by ogoamaka99(m): 3:08pm On Aug 20, 2010
@ poster,
please read the post by Tradgott as he advised. You will get to know GOD's plan for your life by asking GOD.It is GOD that will tell or show you HIS plan and purpose for your life not any man. Any advice you get from any man must be confirmed by GOD to ensure that it is from HIM.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by Kobojunkie: 12:04am On Jun 14, 2023
VeriLee:
I need some help and advice from you all, if you don't mind. I don't seem to be able to realise what God has planned for me and it has just occurred to me that it could be because I don't know whether God has such a plan for me, or if He has, what the content of the plan is. So I how do I come to know:
1) If God has a plan for my life?
2) What is the content of the plan, if one exists?
I would be very grateful if people who have realised their personal God-given plan could advise me. Thanks
There is only one plan of God for everyone who chooses to become born-again through Jesus Christ and that is for them to live their lives in continuous submission and obedience to His teachings and commandments in Jesus Christ forever. And as Jesus Christ said, seek first the Kingdom of God (Holiness) and God's Righteousness, in order that all these things — the blessings and rewards of the Kingdom of God — shall be added onto you. There are not many different plans of God out there as there is only one. undecided
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by Kobojunkie: 1:01am On Jun 14, 2023
■ Consecrate urself,pray for Gods vision&then may be in ur dream God can reveal to u
Consecrate what exactly? God does not give private visions. undecided
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by Benfaco: 8:49am On Jun 14, 2023
The love of God for us

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

When Adam sinned, he lost the direct access he initially had with God. (Genesis 3) God decided to send his only begotten son (Jesus) to pay the price for our sins on the cross of calvary because of his love for us. When Christ resurrected, he restored all privileges that we once had and brought redemption to us all. All we need is to believe that he died for our sin and has once again granted us direct access with God. No longer through an intermediary! (Mathew 27:50-53).

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

If our earthly parents care so much for us, how much more our father in heaven! (Luke 11:11-13). God’s love for us is infinite. He has promised to supply all our needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philipians 4:19).

Prayer of Salvation

Lord Jesus, I accept and acknowledge you as my personal lord and savior. I sincerely ask that you forgive my sins. Come into my life and pour out your spirit on me. By faith, I receive the promise of the father, which is the holy spirit. (John 14:16) I thank you for the price that you paid for me on the cross of calvary. Thank you for my redemption. I pray that your power, grace and favor will abide with me now and forever more. Amen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Nairalander Prays For Poisoned Leg See What Happens Pics-video / Covid 19: Was Pastor Chris Right? See New Evidence! / The Lord's Chosen Ministry Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.