Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,452 members, 7,954,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:00 AM

Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m (20377 Views)

Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$(2016) / Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank / I See Speculators Losing Billions Of Naira To New FX Policy – BDC Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by jpphilips(m): 11:29am On Mar 21, 2017
PBundles:
Thing is this is not sustainable and the CBN knows this. Their aim is to try and hold out as long as possible while trying to ringfence the selling of $ via the black market, but Im sorry to say this wont last. Its like someone with leaks in his roof saying, no problem I know where to buy buckets for the leaks. Yes initially its cheaper if you plan to eventually fix the roof, if you dont, it will collapse. Look this is economics its not magic or witchcraft.

Yes the CBN has intervened in the past, but then the naira was floating freely which is a BIG difference.

As the SWISS they tried it against the EURO and after 2 years came to the same conclusion.

This is a short term solution. Personally, we need to free float the Naira. The market is already telling its worth.

naira has never floated freely in history, the day that happens, you will not be here on nairaland

3 Likes

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by dayleke: 11:35am On Mar 21, 2017
Really?
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by Nobody: 11:35am On Mar 21, 2017
jpphilips:

naira has never floated freely in history, the day that happens, you will not be here on nairaland

Thank you Sir. We have screamed this many times to deaf ears.

Nigeria is offering practically nothing but OIL. If we float, Naira might become N2000 to $1 or much worse.
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by jpphilips(m): 11:44am On Mar 21, 2017
Jesusloveyou:
and i stil blame the cbn for all this mess we found ourselves.
All this speculators would have release their dollars they are be hoarding since last year.
Cbn were building reserve instead to release atleast 1b dollars every month. That means he should have defend the naira thru-out last year with atleast 10b dollars and we would have still arrive at 30b dollars in reserve with alot of economy gain.
Cbn stil need to release atleast 1b dollar to force the price to atleast 250naira.
Buhari is stil the best, and cbn is stil our problem.

Where will CBN get $1b monthly last year to give you?

1 Like

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by desmond122(m): 11:44am On Mar 21, 2017
vizkiz:
100m from that amount will be deposited in someone's account. Not the exact estimate

Jonathan Friend
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by jpphilips(m): 11:46am On Mar 21, 2017
modath:

Dey try lie small small... 280? Evidence please... thank you....

As much as i am on Nigeria's side , i don't see how this will pay us in the long run... Some banks couldn't sell PTA friday & yesterday cos CBN hadn't released their allocation... It's a vicious circle of feeding the beast, it won't end till there is nothing to give...

989900 .... You still haven't answered my earlier kweshon, i hope you know... Anyway, how ya doing?

At what rate and limit are the banks selling PTA?
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by modath(f): 11:49am On Mar 21, 2017
jpphilips:

At what rate and limit are the banks selling PTA?

N375, $4k PTA. .. ....

By the way, it's CBN that instructed them to sell @ 375..... They are practically dependent on CBN so they can't flout the rule.
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by jpphilips(m): 11:50am On Mar 21, 2017
modath:

They dare not, they know their limit, it is this cosmetic band aid thing they stop at...

El Rufai for all his loyalty to the powers that be has said his own, sanusi & madam oby same thing, let's patiently see where bus stop dey ...

El rufai said that last year, its stale news that was why they leaked it, most of his concerns have been overtaken by events, why do we need to give BDCs forex when the banks can have it and allow us higher limits on debit cards?

2 Likes

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by holaralph(m): 11:54am On Mar 21, 2017
olowobaba10:
THIS IS ONLY A TEMPORARY MEASURE , THE CBN CANNOT SUSTAIN THE SUPPLY, LET NAIRA FLOW AND LET MARKET FORCES DETERMINE THE VALUE .
so that you and your cronies will continue to benefit abi............. I AM A PROFESSIONAL FOREX TRADER

1 Like

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by jpphilips(m): 11:55am On Mar 21, 2017
modath:

N375, $4k PTA. .. ....

By the way, it's CBN that instructed them to sell @ 375..... They are practically dependent on CBN so they can't flout the rule.

The profit margin for the bank is way too much, how are the banks allowed to make that much profit on forex?
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by modath(f): 11:56am On Mar 21, 2017
jpphilips:

El rufai said that last year, its stale news that was why they leaked it, most of his concerns have been overtaken by events, why do we need to give BDCs forex when the banks can have it and allow us higher limits on debit cards?

Banks cannot allow card transactions because they can't source for $ at less than n400 outside of CBN's allocation... There is a reason only GT & Access allow just $100 per month limit....
The dollar CBN releases is subsidized & they gave strict instructions on what it's to be used for...... so where will the FX for cards come from & at what rate?

As for El Rufai issue, I won't get into any back & forth about that, we all can see & hear...
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by modath(f): 11:59am On Mar 21, 2017
jpphilips:

The profit margin for the bank is way too much, how are the banks allowed to make that much profit on forex?

Ask CBN... cool

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/02/18/cbn-pegs-dollar-rate-for-school-fees-pta-at-n375/
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by Jesusloveyou: 12:27pm On Mar 21, 2017
jpphilips:

Where will CBN get $1b monthly last year to give you?
@obailala
where are they getting the dollars now?
When they were building reserve from 23b dollars to 30b dollars last year, why not they release just a little 100m dollars/month even at that stage when it was 23b dollars.
This 100m dollars cbn is releasing every month is too small to defend the naira. I was expecting atleast 1b dollars to force the dollar to 250 naira.

1 Like

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by PBundles(m): 12:40pm On Mar 21, 2017
Actually is what the CBN Governor propagated in June I believe. Its actually officially in full float as we speak. Dont believe me check the CBN website or internet, old news. Thing is there are strings attached so they said one thing but did another.

jpphilips:

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by jpphilips(m): 12:47pm On Mar 21, 2017
modath:

Ask CBN... cool

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/02/18/cbn-pegs-dollar-rate-for-school-fees-pta-at-n375/

According to your source, the CBN is disbursing to the banks and other authorised forex dealers aka BDC for a defined purpose, my question is, why do we need to bring in the BDC in this program? the same guys that round trip it at the parallel market?
The quota for BDCs should be used to carter for card transactions. the CBN will still set limits no doubt but with a wider margin as it is presently.
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by PBundles(m): 12:48pm On Mar 21, 2017
You asked a question so I will answer.

Like I tell my business students I teach and have been teaching for the past 15 years and what we tell traders when they enter green, the price is WHAT THE MARKET IS WILLING TO PAY, PERIOD. A glass of water may mean nothing to you at this moment, but ask the price in the dessert with 100 people thirsty and see what happens to the price, a bit stretched out but you get the picture.

One could make a gestimate based on certain factors of where we think we will be ( I did such a while back and wasnt that far off) but the other factors may change, hence we say when do that all things being equal.

A side note, Ive never understood the subliminal shots on this forum at times, with ppl trying to make ppl look silly, whereas you dont know who is making the comment, Oh well maybe its just me. I like to not assume, since we can all learn something.

JustinSlayer69:

Economics isn't magic or witchcraft.

PLEASE i have just one question for you....

Was Naira actually worth 150 Naira to 1 Dollar during the 2008 global recession

Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation to ask another... Why did the Naira to Dollar value remain fairly constant between 2009 - 2014?

It was because we were exporting goods or because the global oil prices were high and we were propping up the Naira with our reserves.

You are very funny grin grin grin grin

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by jpphilips(m): 12:50pm On Mar 21, 2017
PBundles:
Actually is what the CBN Governor propagated in June I believe. Its actually officially in full float as we speak. Dont believe me check the CBN website or internet, old news. Thing is there are strings attached so they said one thing but did another.

CBN said they will float the naira last year, at implementation they did a dirty float if you understand what that means, I repeat, naira has never floated freely in history, the day that happens, so many people will no longer have access to nairaland.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by PBundles(m): 12:51pm On Mar 21, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/2870351/us-eu-officially-lift-nuclear/6#42090871

JustinSlayer69:

Economics isn't magic or witchcraft.

PLEASE i have just one question for you....

Was Naira actually worth 150 Naira to 1 Dollar during the 2008 global recession

Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation to ask another... Why did the Naira to Dollar value remain fairly constant between 2009 - 2014?

It was because we were exporting goods or because the global oil prices were high and we were propping up the Naira with our reserves.

You are very funny grin grin grin grin

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by obailala(m): 12:56pm On Mar 21, 2017
Jesusloveyou:
@obailala
where are they getting the dollars now.
When they were building reserve from 23b dollars to 30b dollars last year, why not release just a little 100m dollars/month even at that stage when it was 23b dollars.
This 100m dollars cbn is releasing every month is too small to defend the naira. I was expecting atleast 1b dollars to force the dollar to 250 naira.
I asked you a question b4, can you give what you do not have?

Dollar supply is higher now because oil now sells at an average of $55 per barrel unlike $40 average which it sold for last year. In addition, oil production has now increased to 2 million barrels daily as against 1.1 - 1.5 million barrels which was the case last year. Hope you now see the difference?

1 Like

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by PBundles(m): 12:56pm On Mar 21, 2017
I have no clue what a dirty float is and Ive been in this sector for years. Also if your standpoint is based on Central bank intervention, then NO CURRENCY has totally free floated, but we are getting into semantics.

jpphilips:

CBN said they will float the naira last year, at implementation they did a dirty float if you understand what that means, I repeat, naira has never floated freely in history, the day that happens, so many people will no longer have access to nairaland.
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 21, 2017
PBundles:
https://www.nairaland.com/2870351/us-eu-officially-lift-nuclear/6#42090871

Your link to that comment contained facts. Congrats. But i also predicted that range without any textbook.

You actually didn't answer any of the 2 questions. At all.

A free float as developed world is proposing would be calamitous. It would work perfectly if we had the infrastructure, regular electricity supply, minimal corruption etc.

Sorry, Oga Lecturer, what you were taught in the textbooks designed for Western world would simply fail here. An example- Buhari came and was trying to force a currency peg. The West kept clamouring for a free float (knowing fully well the consequences), Buhari capitulated PARTIALLY and what subsequently happened to the Naira? IT FELL EVEN FURTHER.

A free float has never ever happened in Nigeria. It can't happen...As someone said, you definitely won't be here on Nairaland when it does.

"subliminal shots", "looking silly" is your personal choice to feel like that - But if you poke at me with an argument, you have to know your onions otherwise, i might poke back. That's what i did and you really couldn't answer point for point.

And finally.... Comparing Swiss Francs vs Euro to Naira vs Dollar is frankly just silly. Do we have same economies and infrastructure?

If you had chosen Egyptian Pound, then i could have said you had a tangible argument. Leave those textbooks, Sir. Real world is different.

NAIRA has never been floated.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by 989900: 1:18pm On Mar 21, 2017
PBundles:
[s]Thing is this is not sustainable and the CBN knows this. Their aim is to try and hold out as long as possible while trying to ringfence the selling of $ via the black market, but Im sorry to say this wont last. Its like someone with leaks in his roof saying, no problem I know where to buy buckets for the leaks. Yes initially its cheaper if you plan to eventually fix the roof, if you dont, it will collapse. Look this is economics its not magic or witchcraft.
[/s]
[s]Yes the CBN has intervened in the past, but then the naira was floating freely which is a BIG difference.

As the SWISS they tried it against the EURO and after 2 years came to the same conclusion.

This is a short term solution. Personally, we need to free float the Naira. The market is already telling its worth. [/s]

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by Jesusloveyou: 1:23pm On Mar 21, 2017
obailala:

Dollar supply is higher now because oil now sells at an average of $55 per barrel unlike $40 average which it sold for last year. In addition, oil production has now increased to 2 million barrels daily as against 1.1 - 1.5 million barrels which was the case last year. Hope you now see the difference?
@jpphilips

i always know the difference,
But a little 100m dollars last year as they are doing now would have help the economy last year.even when the reserve stand @23 b dollars.100m dollars even from 20b dollars wouldn't have affect the reserve.
And now that the oil price is up and the reserve has be built to 30b dollars, so why cant the cbn release upto 1b dollars now.

1 Like

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by jpphilips(m): 1:46pm On Mar 21, 2017
Jesusloveyou:
@jpphilips

i always know the difference,
But a little 100m dollars last year as they are doing now would have help the economy last year.even when the reserve stand @23 b dollars.100m dollars even from 20b dollars wouldn't have affect the reserve.
And now that the oil price is up and the reserve has be built to 30b dollars, so why cant the cbn release upto 1b dollars now.

Where do you want the CBN to get it from last year?? can you give what you don't have?

1 Like

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by jpphilips(m): 1:57pm On Mar 21, 2017
obailala:

We did less than 1m bbls when we lost most of our export lines at some point, no one is surprised at what is happening, so long as oil remains above $50, CBN can sustain this policy, next is the DSDP that will start in April because Forcados is back online, that will likely push down the cost of energy petrol especially, gradually inflation and recession will subside.
Only m0r0ns thought that buhari was the problem.

2 Likes

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by PBundles(m): 1:59pm On Mar 21, 2017
JustinSlayer69:

Your link to that comment contained facts. Congrats. But i also predicted that range without any textbook.

You didnt predict you guessed. There is a BIG difference.

You actually didn't answer any of the 2 questions. At all.

I did but I guess you dont understand the basics of economic equilibrium, its simple demand and supply

A free float as developed world is proposing would be calamitous. It would work perfectly if we had the infrastructure, regular electricity supply, minimal corruption etc.

Actually the things you mention have no factoring for a free float. The one major impact is the need for FX. If you reduce that you will be fine. Our problem is the huge demand for foreign products, that includes schooling, medical treatment etc. What the government needs is not the main problem.

Sorry, Oga Lecturer, what you were taught in the textbooks designed for Western world would simply fail here. An example- Buhari came and was trying to force a currency peg. The West kept clamouring for a free float (knowing fully well the consequences), Buhari capitulated and what subsequently happened to the Naira? IT FELL EVEN FURTHER.

For the record I lecture PT at a Business School in Europe. I earn my wage by structuring business transaction mainly in developed countrties but have done so in Morocco and Ghana, so the developing world argument doesn't hold.

A free float has never ever happened in Nigeria. It can't happen...As someone said, you definitely won't be here on Nairaland when it does.

I actually answered this by simply stating that the CBN governor actually said so in June 2016, but I guess others know better.

"subliminal shots", "looking silly" is your personal choice to feel like that - But if you poke at me with an argument, you have to know your onions otherwise, i might poke back. That's what i did and you really couldn't answer point for point.

Simple observation I have made, no feelings hurt believe me. You will go living your life and I will mine.

And finally.... Comparing Swiss Francs vs Euro to Naira vs Dollar is frankly just silly. Do we have same economies and infrastructure?

You just contradicted yourself, yes we can compare these currencies, arent people exchanging them for Naira, so they are comparing. When people exchange indirectly that is what they are doing but, forget that, if demand and supply hasnt sunk in, this argument wont either. And yes our economy is as large as many of these so called developed countries. Food for thought, South Korea was at the same economic level of Nigeria in the late 80s, they have progressed. I was there a couple of years ago and its astonishing that we could have been the same.

If you had chosen Egyptian Pound, then i would have said you had a tangible argument. Leave those textbooks, Sir. Real world is different.

Egypt, really. Ask anyone who has been to Cairo. Why do we always reduce our potential? This is not a case of textbooks, its theory meeting practical. Ive been hearing that dumb argument for years, while the Dangotes of this world use the knowledge either those trained or hiring to build. Well they say, one gets what they deserve. If this is the main thought process of Nigerians, then yes I guess we have the government and as such the economy we deserve.

NAIRA has never been floated.
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by obailala(m): 2:14pm On Mar 21, 2017
jpphilips:

We did less than 1m bbls when we lost most of our export lines at some point, no one is surprised at what is happening, so long as oil remains above $50, CBN can sustain this policy, next is the DSDP that will start in April because Forcados is back online, that will likely push down the cost of energy petrol especially, gradually inflation and recession will subside.
Only m0r0ns thought that buhari was the problem.
I think it's all just political sentiments, these thing are quite commonsensical but even with thorough explanations, quite a lot of people wilfully do not still get it because they feel more comfortable and happy with the pointless political theories.

1 Like

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by Nobody: 2:21pm On Mar 21, 2017
Gud for them.
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 21, 2017
[quote author=PBundles post=54803891][/quote]

Frankly, I worry for these students you claim you have taught for 15 years. Point for point:

1. I didn’t predict. I earn in USD and exchange monthly. Otherwise we would say even a Professor of Economics just guesses. It is from an educated perspective just as you claim.

2. Answer the 2 questions again. You got an F- the first time.

3. This is just hilarious. How in heaven do you hope to reduce national demand for FX? Brainwash them?

4. Thanks for reinforcing the impression you are a textbook guy and have little knowledge of the real world.

5. A FREE FLOAT HASN’T HAPPENED. WON’T HAPPEN FOR A LONG TIME.

6. Comparing the economies of Switzerland and Germany makes sense. Doing so with Nigeria is silly.

(pic reference - World Bank)

Was Naira actually worth 150 Naira to 1 Dollar during the 2008 global recession ?

Why did the Naira to Dollar value remain fairly constant between 2009 - 2014?

1 Share

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by jpphilips(m): 3:11pm On Mar 21, 2017
obailala:
I think it's all just political sentiments, these thing are quite commonsensical but even with thorough explanations, quite a lot of people wilfully do not still get it because they feel more comfortable and happy with the pointless political theories.

I agree completely.
Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by stonemasonn: 3:59pm On Mar 21, 2017
awelekiti:
Unfortunately, nigerians are not good speculators
they are bad speculators because of excessive greed.
For most people that lost money in MMM it wasn't obvious to them that the system could not survive the Yuletide season (December) an average speculator would have withdrawn all his money by late October/ early November.

1 Like

Re: Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m by stonemasonn: 4:12pm On Mar 21, 2017
olowobaba10:
THIS IS ONLY A TEMPORARY MEASURE , THE CBN CANNOT SUSTAIN THE SUPPLY, LET NAIRA FLOW AND LET MARKET FORCES DETERMINE THE VALUE .
the "market forces" in Nigeria is infested with rent seekers in high places (highly connected individuals who gets dollars at very low rates from FG and then hoard). If CBN lets the dollar to free fall believe me the APC government may no last to 2019.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Ubah Donates N150m To Anambra FA & N100m 2 Ifeanyi Ubah FC(Pix / How To Produce Liquid Soap / Banks In Fresh Trouble Over TSA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.