Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation (3218 Views)

Differences Between Demonic Initiation And Christian Spiritual Awakening / Nigerian Bishops: "All Church Hospitals Can Be Used For COVID-19 Patients" / Why Is The Catholic Church Always Used For Horror Movies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by Babalawos(m): 9:51pm On Mar 21, 2017
Here is the itan of the three materials used for Ifa Initiation

Edigbe had a son called Nomasheyu. After the death of his parents, Nomasheyu was sent to his paternal uncle as a ward in Igbo, the land of cannibals.

No one went to Igbo land and returned alive. Visitors who dared to go there were killed and eaten. The only stranger who went there those days and returned home alive was Nomasheyu.

While he was living with his uncle, the uncle's wife tried several times to cajole Nomasheyu to make love to her but he remained indomitable.

The woman was called Lobire Odonbire. When she discovered that Nomasheyu was unyielding, she contrived a strategy for luring him to his death.

She sent him to buy fish from the wife of the head chief of Igbo land, thinking she would kill him. Instead of killing him however, the woman liked him so much that she advised him to do whatever his uncle's wife wanted him to do so he might live to prosper.

He preferred to die poor rather than be disloyal to his uncle. He however bought a fish and returned home safely. The fish had a protruding stomach. When it was slaughtered, it was discovered to have a small crown in its stomach.... To be continued

Babalawos

2 Likes

Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by Babalawos(m): 10:41am On Mar 22, 2017
Continued

Once more, the uncle's wife tempted him with the crown if he agreed to have sex with her. He still refused to insult his uncle's masculine pride.

Nomasheyu had one talisman which was tied to his neck from infancy by his father. Lobire now threatened that he would die if he refused to give in to her request. He replied that he would prefer to die.

Meanwhile, Lobire prepared soup with the fish and gave to the husband. After eating the food the husband became ill. His Awos were called in and they confirm that it was the fish he ate that made him ill.

When the wife was invited to explain, she quickly reported that it was Nomasheyu who bought the fish. Nomasheyu was invited to explain and he replied with a song;

Aighere Oligbo, Igbote
Eyigbo bo gbo Aighere Oligbo, igbote
Nomasheyu lo igbo te,
Nomasheyu lo igbo ibo gbo,
Aighere Oligbo, igbote.

When the Awos asked him to explain the song, he narrated how the woman sent him to buy fish in the expectation that the igbo people would kill him. That was after unsuccessfully tempting him into cohabitation.

The people who decided the case were:

Orieti bori
Ore-kpa te luhun
Areko gangan dare si

After considering the statements, they found Nomasheyu not guilty and he was set free. The woman was found guilty and sentenced to death by execution.

There after one of the Awos told Nomasheyu to surrender the talisman on his neck and he bluntly refused because it was given to him by his father.

When they tried to force it out of him, he began to repeat the following incantation:

Akere maake, Nisoko fun won ni ode egba,
Alake. Ila mu woroko ni so ko fun won
Lode elamoro ginrin ajo fimore ni fifa sho
Kparako ya mo ni lara
Iwo okunrin oba
Iwo obinrin oba
Eni ti wo dare fun lojo
Yen mko dare fun mi loni

Thereafter, the man who tried to remove the talisman from his neck, turned into an Ifa mat, the second man turned into a parrot feather and the third man turned into a sleeping mat.

These are are three materials used for IFA initiation.

If thus odu appears at Ugbodu, the person will always be the victim of false accusations, unless he makes the appropriate ebo (sacrifice).

As the Ifa is being prepared, an Ogun shrine should be prepared for the person without delay and he should wash his head on Esu shrine before 7 days.

To avoid becoming the victim of false accusation, he should prepare his Ogun shrine with 2 cocks, a cutlass and a gun.

He should be told that he got his problems from servitude before preparing his Ifa.

There is an uncut small calabash in his house (Ado ofo in yoruba and Uko-kogho in Binin) which should be surrendered to the Ifa priests.

At divination for a woman, she should be told that she has committed adultery and there is a live witness to the fact. Serve Esu with a day old he goat to avoid becoming the victim of falsehood over a woman.

This work was inspired by LATE DR. C. OSAMARO IBIE, J.P.

Thank you for reading, leave a comment

Babalawos

3 Likes

Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by Raintaker(m): 7:54pm On Mar 23, 2017
I see a lot of non yoruba languages in your write-ups.
What is the relationship of ifa with those languages?
Cos I've always thought Ifa is exclusive to the yorubas.
And also all the 16 odus are written in yoruba language.
@Babalawos, pls explain this.
Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by PastorAIO: 9:48pm On Mar 23, 2017
obara irete
Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by Babalawos(m): 9:59am On Mar 26, 2017
Raintaker:
I see a lot of non yoruba languages in your write-ups.
What is the relationship of ifa with those languages?
Cos I've always thought Ifa is exclusive to the yorubas.
And also all the 16 odus are written in yoruba language.
@Babalawos, pls explain this.

Aboru Aboye

Just like English language which is not a Yoruba language but it is a general universal language that is used by millions or billions of people to communicate.

Being a Yoruba man or woman doesn't automatically makes you a Babalawo (Ifa Priest) or Iyanifa (Ifa Priestest).

IFA teachings in other languages are 100% allowed or of what use teaching IFA if only 1% of the worlds population understands you?

You can find Binin language translation in most of my write-ups.

Babalawos
Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by Raintaker(m): 9:26pm On Mar 27, 2017
Babalawos:

Aboru Aboye

Just like English language which is not a Yoruba language but it is a general universal language that is used by millions or billions of people to communicate.

Being a Yoruba man or woman doesn't automatically makes you a Babalawo (Ifa Priest) or Iyanifa (Ifa Priestest).

IFA teachings in other languages are 100% allowed or of what use teaching IFA if only 1% of the worlds population understands you?

You can find Binin language translation in most of my write-ups.

Babalawos
Thanks for answering, but won't some parts of history that did not happen be interjected into the odu, so as to suit the new language? Ifa is sometimes referred to as pouting ile Ife, so y not divine in Yoruba to other tribes too, so that the historical part will remain intact.
I hope u understand my blab?
Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by HardMirror(m): 9:54pm On Mar 27, 2017
babalawos, Do you use human parts? If you do, what do you use them for? If you don't, can you kindly tell us why? And I am sure you have colleagues that do, what are you doing to see that the victims of human rituals are brought to book.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by Babalawos(m): 10:01pm On Mar 27, 2017
HardMirror:
babalawos, Do you use human parts? If you do, what do you use them for? If you don't, can you kindly tell us why? And I am sure you have colleagues that do, what are you doing to see that the victims of human rituals are brought to book.

Aboru Aboye

How does your question relate to this thread?

Are you obsess with human Rituals or what?

Babablawos
Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by Babalawos(m): 10:14pm On Mar 27, 2017
Raintaker:

Thanks for answering, but won't some parts of history that did not happen be interjected into the odu, so as to suit the new language? Ifa is sometimes referred to as pouting ile Ife, so y not divine in Yoruba to other tribes too, so that the historical part will remain intact.
I hope u understand my blab?

Aboru Aboye

I don't think you understood me, the Incantations are in Yoruba and the teachings are in English language.

Sometimes some words like Ebo are translated to english (sacrifice)...etc.

Incantations in the true sense can be used in any dialets in Nigeria if you know the anatomy of Incantations and what gives it powers, you will get 100% result.

The primary form of incantations are secret names of the Gods, words of Praises, words of strong parables, powerful hypnotic words.... etc.

I hope you get my gist?

That is why you have genuine and powerful African Tradition Religion Priests / Priestess all over Nigeria regardless their ethnicity: powerful Ibo debia, Strong Urhobo Egbe Priests (Priestess), Powerful Binin Obo, Renowned Yoruba Babalawos...etc.

Babalawos

2 Likes

Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by HardMirror(m): 10:18pm On Mar 27, 2017
Babalawos:

Aboru Aboye
How does your question relate to this thread?
Are you obsess with human Rituals or what?
Babablawos
Will you answer if I create a thread for this?
Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by Raintaker(m): 5:36am On Mar 28, 2017
Babalawos:

Aboru Aboye

I don't think you understood me, the Incantations are in Yoruba and the teachings are in English language.

Sometimes some words like Ebo are translated to english (sacrifice)...etc.

Incantations in the true sense can be used in any dialets in Nigeria if you know the anatomy of Incantations and what gives it powers, you will get 100% result.

The primary form of incantations are secret names of the Gods, words of Praises, words of strong parables, powerful hypnotic words.... etc.

I hope you get my gist?

That is why you have genuine and powerful African Tradition Religion Priests / Priestess all over Nigeria regardless their ethnicity: powerful Ibo debia, Strong Urhobo Egbe Priests (Priestess), Powerful Binin Obo, Renowned Yoruba Babalawos...etc.

Babalawos
Ok I understand now.
Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by Babalawos(m): 9:37pm On Apr 06, 2017
Raintaker:
Ok I understand now.

You are welcome
Re: Three Materials Used For Ifa Initiation by ojimbo(m): 10:06am On Apr 14, 2017
HardMirror:

Will you answer if I create a thread for this?
Hardmirror. I have been searching for you online. I just wanted to verify something from you.
Are you in anyway aware of whom sold atheist form to Emir Sanusi.
It seems he undergo factory reset.
He is now having a proper reasonings like a normal human being

(1) (Reply)

Developing An Effective Personality / Amazing Nonsense In Bible / 5 Characteristics Of Faith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.