Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,310 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Argentina In Danger Of Missing World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Argentina In Danger Of Missing World Cup (710 Views)

Emiliano Sala: Family Of Missing Pilot Launch Gofundme Page For New Search / Celestine Babayaro Celebrates His Goal In Nigeria 3-2 Win Over Argentina In 1996 / World Cup Qualification: Lionel Messi, Argentina In Danger Of Missing Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Argentina In Danger Of Missing World Cup by kenzygist: 7:15pm On Mar 23, 2017
With just six rounds of fixtures to go in the South American section for qualification for the 2018 World Cup, every game is now crucial.

The top four teams will qualify for Russia, and the fifth-placed team will advance to the inter-confederation play-offs. Brazil - unbeaten in their last 11 qualifying games - are four points clear at the top, but there is an intriguing chase going on behind them with just five points covering the next five teams.

Among those struggling to keep pace with Brazil are 2014 World Cup runners-up Argentina, who face a nervy four games in order to cement their place in Russia. Here's the state of play and what to look out for...

All eyes will be on Buenos Aires on Thursday evening, as two South American heavyweights clash in a game of huge importance.

Chile, in fourth, take on Argentina, in fifth, and just one point separates them. A win for either team could prove pivotal - but the damage done by a defeat surely outweighs victory. This looks a must-not-lose for both teams, especially with Colombia in sixth having a very winnable home fixture against Bolivia.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger declared Alexis Sanchez's ankle in "a terrible state" after a damaging defeat to West Brom, but the forward has taken part in training and seems determined to feature, writing on Instagram: "The only failure is not to try".

Argentina's next game, five days after the Chile fixture, is a daunting trip to the high altitude surroundings in Bolivia, which could prove problematic, especially if they get a negative result on Thursday.

What's wrong with Argentina?

Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza says he's imagined Lionel Messi holding the World Cup aloft in Russia - well perhaps the coach has been doing too much daydreaming as Argentina's qualification campaign has been a mess.

Bauza has coached Argentina for four games since replacing Gerardo Martino after the Copa America in the United States, but home defeats to Ecuador and Paraguay and draws against Venezuela and Peru, added to an embarrassing 3-0 defeat to great rivals Brazil, have left one of the world's most iconic teams with questions to answer.

A 3-0 home victory over Colombia in their most recent fixture was a welcome boost, but they still remain outside the automatic berths with tricky away trips against Bolivia and Uruguay still to come.

A return of just 14 goals from a side that includes the likes of Messi, Sergio Aguero and Angel Di Maria has drawn criticism, as Bauza has struggled to find a style of play that suits his star men. Of course, there is still plenty of football to be played - but at this stage, Argentina are well off the level set by Brazil.

Bauza has remained defiant, though, telling FIFA.com: "All I'm focusing on is setting up the team to be champions. There's always been rivalry with Chile but we need to boil it down to this one game, which is an important one against a direct rival. The only thing that should be in our minds is that if we beat them, we overtake them. I feel like a winner, I feel like I am going to win."

Read more: http://kenzygist.com/2017/03/23/argentina-in-danger-of-missing-world-cup/
Re: Argentina In Danger Of Missing World Cup by bewla(m): 7:22pm On Mar 23, 2017
I will not .miss u because of messi
Re: Argentina In Danger Of Missing World Cup by judedwriter(m): 8:23pm On Mar 23, 2017
That could mean they won't win it a 3rd time wink

(1) (Reply)

Boxing:Anthony Joshua Vs Wladimir Klitschko...29.4.2017 / Messi Is The Best Ronaldo Is The Greatest See Reasons. / How A Fraudster Want To Scam Me On Facebook With The Name Alex Iwobi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.